Dear brave Sonar 5 users...

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
jamester
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: Dear brave Sonar 5 users... 2005/12/10 01:38:27 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Shazbot

Sonar 5 is really leaps and bounds beyond S4, much moreso than S4 was to S3, IMO. For all the reasons listed above, and especially that so many of the new features in S5 are ones that I actually use all the time.

Ditto- same here!

Honestly, I've been on S3PE and things have been perfect, so a big part of me has been hesitant. And as suspected, I'm dealing with a couple (minor) bumps as I make the transition. growing pains.

But I can already tell I am happy with 5. Looking at all the improvements I'm gaining by jumping 3 to 5...for $179, that's not a bargain - it's a steal! Some recording mag said that the update to 5 should be mandatory; I agree. =)

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro
hellogoodbye
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1343
RE: Dear brave Sonar 5 users... 2005/12/10 06:44:06 (permalink)
Haven't upgarded yet, but I plan to do so for V-Vocal (the complete S5 upgrade is cheaper than comparable software on its own) and the MIDI-inhancements. I really like it that you can edit midi in the trackview because then you finally can see where you are in a song. Opening the piano roll always confuses me (even after al there years) because after going left or right a few times I completely forgot where I am in the song. But now you can see everything in relation to the rest
Also the fact that controller data is visible 'underneath' the midi notes instead of the seperate pane seems convenient to me. And I think I will also use the track templates.
Little things like track icons are nice too: very simple but very handy because I always forget where is what after a while.

I only wonder what's so special about the Perfect Space... What's the benefit over a normal reverb? When I listen to the demo's on the Cakewalk site I think: 'What's so special about drowning a guitar completely in some plate effect? It sounds awefull." But maybe I just don't know enough about it. Maybe someone can explain it to me why it's so wonderfull. ;)
krizrox
Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4046
RE: Dear brave Sonar 5 users... 2005/12/10 07:43:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: hellogoodbye

I only wonder what's so special about the Perfect Space... What's the benefit over a normal reverb? When I listen to the demo's on the Cakewalk site I think: 'What's so special about drowning a guitar completely in some plate effect? It sounds awefull." But maybe I just don't know enough about it. Maybe someone can explain it to me why it's so wonderfull. ;)

There's nothing special about Perfect Space per se - it's just another convolution reverb. There are better convolution reverbs on the market but of course you pay dearly for them :-) I guess the fact that it's bundled in with the upgrade is what's so appealing. I don't know.

Every time I try to use reverb on a rap song the client tells me to take it off so unless you are producing quasi-60's hits or space rock, reverb has limited appeal (just kidding)

Larry Kriz
www.LnLRecording.com
www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
thunderkyss
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1207
RE: Dear brave Sonar 5 users... 2005/12/10 09:44:59 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: songsmyth

I didn't want to have to pay extra when Cakewalk releases "Sonar 6 The Ultimate" and only gives a break to "current" users... Don't cha just hate that, eh?

I went from S3 to S5, for $179.00........ For the ultimate price break. So I gained Track Lanes, Mute tools, TTS-1, Track Folders, Track Docking, Inline midi, Track presets. And a bunch of other stuff.

Unless, Sonar6 adds the ability to arm/unarm tracks while the project plays, I'll skip S6, and hope for the same deal to S7.

AV_Matt
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 253
RE: Dear brave Sonar 5 users... 2005/12/10 15:24:56 (permalink)
I just bought a 64 bit processor so i hear sonar 5 uses 64 bit am i wrong?

+_=-+-=-+_+-=_+-==
Sonar 5.01 PE
AMD 3200 64 bit
1 GIG DDR
2 Maxtor 100gigs
E-MU 1820
75 grey hairs
jamester
RE: Dear brave Sonar 5 users... 2005/12/10 18:03:42 (permalink)
And I think I will also use the track templates.

Oh man, these are cool! I spent last night setting up a folder of my most common track setups. From now on when I want to add something, it's one click on the "New Track" button, then scroll to what I want to add and...voila!

I agree the convolution reverb was not a big selling point for me...neither was the v-vocal for that matter (though it might make for a cool pitch-shifter on instruments). But the track templates, inline midi (but still no right-click erase???), track folders, track layers etc... it's these little workflow enhancements that really add up to a big deal for me.

sambasevam
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 383
RE: Dear brave Sonar 5 users... 2005/12/10 18:34:29 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: thunderkyss

I didn't want to have to pay extra when Cakewalk releases "Sonar 6 The Ultimate" and only gives a break to "current" users... Don't cha just hate that, eh?

I went from S3 to S5, for $179.00........ For the ultimate price break. So I gained Track Lanes, Mute tools, TTS-1, Track Folders, Track Docking, Inline midi, Track presets. And a bunch of other stuff.

Unless, Sonar6 adds the ability to arm/unarm tracks while the project plays, I'll skip S6, and hope for the same deal to S7.

this may seem like a dumb question : Why would you want to arm and unarm tracks while playback? Just curious....

"For a person to be successful, there has to be in him, a tingling sense of sorrow in the deepest part of his heart and move him emotionally...."
sambasevam
RE: Dear brave Sonar 5 users... 2005/12/10 18:38:22 (permalink)
Oh and as for the original poster :
I havent upgraded to Sonar 5. i know its cheap, but i cant convince myself to upgrade mainly because im not using all of the existing sonar 4 features themselves. First, i want to learn that stuff in and out, and then, i'll _consider_ Sonar5.

From time and again, reminding myself that i havent realized the full potential of a piece of software, keeps me from getting the upgrade.

Same goes with the Reason 2.5 that i have.

"For a person to be successful, there has to be in him, a tingling sense of sorrow in the deepest part of his heart and move him emotionally...."
jamester
RE: Dear brave Sonar 5 users... 2005/12/10 18:48:48 (permalink)
Same goes with the Reason 2.5 that i have.

I think the M-Class fx and especially the Combinator justify the price of that upgrade. I don't use Reason anymore, but one of my big issues was all the pointless manual wiring. Combis are kinda like Track Templates in S5, you can call up things pre-wired and ready to go. Big improvement in speed of workflow!

stingie@tstt.net.tt
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 541
RE: Dear brave Sonar 5 users... 2005/12/10 19:33:45 (permalink)
Just dived in. Getting my PE 5 Tuesday.

Nice Tracks Recording Studio. Intel Dual core 13ins i5 MacBook Pro 2.5 Ghz. Quad core i5, Win 7 home premium 64 bit, 8 Ghz memory, 2 WD Caviar Black 7200 HDs. G-Tech hard drives, M-Audio Axiom 25, Fender Stratocaster guitar, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP firewire audio interface.
losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
RE: Dear brave Sonar 5 users... 2005/12/10 19:41:54 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Jesse G
I did it for the ultimate reason. When i decided to upgrade to Sonar version 4 for merely $179.99, Cakewalk told me they would give me Sonar 5 for FREE...FREE I TELL YOU!! Would you pass on Sonar 5 for FREE.

I did the same thing. I'm about to install S5PE right now (well, sometime in the next day or two). S4 is still in its shrink-wrap (sorry, not for sale).

This, along with all the other reasons everyone mentioned for moving up to S5... including a feeling of status .

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
thunderkyss
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1207
RE: Dear brave Sonar 5 users... 2005/12/10 21:57:56 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: sambasevam

this may seem like a dumb question : Why would you want to arm and unarm tracks while playback? Just curious....

I'm more into pre-production, than music production. When I get an idea for a song, in my head, I'm hearing drums bass, riff, all at the same time. When I sit down to Sonar, I want to put them all down one right after another. If I were able to arm/unarm tracks while the song is playing, I can loop a section, put down my drum groove, then my bass, then my guitar, etc.. etc.... I can do this on my Fantom of course, Reason, and other midi sequencers. Logic Audio was able to do it too.
In other words, it'll help keep the music/ideas flowing.
post edited by thunderkyss - 2005/12/10 22:05:36

wynnsong
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 504
RE: Dear brave Sonar 5 users... 2005/12/10 22:56:45 (permalink)
Ditto what most said.....

It's at least $300 bucks better and it's only 179! Heck that's two crappy sample CD's!
sambasevam
RE: Dear brave Sonar 5 users... 2005/12/11 12:20:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: sambasevam

I'm more into pre-production, than music production. When I get an idea for a song, in my head, I'm hearing drums bass, riff, all at the same time. When I sit down to Sonar, I want to put them all down one right after another. If I were able to arm/unarm tracks while the song is playing, I can loop a section, put down my drum groove, then my bass, then my guitar, etc.. etc.... I can do this on my Fantom of course, Reason, and other midi sequencers. Logic Audio was able to do it too.
In other words, it'll help keep the music/ideas flowing.

But cant you do that by arming all tracks and soloing one-by-one? You can still record on the fly while looping, cant you?

Stringrazor1
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 579
RE: Dear brave Sonar 5 users... 2005/12/11 22:13:39 (permalink)
Because I saw the number 5 in gold...

Actually, I haven't upgraded yet. Still waiting for the demo to make up my mind if I really need it over S3P.
post edited by Stringrazor1 - 2005/12/11 22:15:19
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1