Exp Pack #2 available for DimPro and Rapture

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
agincourtdb
Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4753
RE: Exp Pack #2 available for DimPro and Rapture 2006/11/01 18:28:24 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: René

None of which explains why some of us don't get them at all after signing up time and time again. Look at Susan G's thread over on the Sonar Forum about this. These are people who (like me) have a lot of Cake licenses and would appreciate hearing about special offers and such. It *is* the sender's responsibility to work with these ISPs (at the very least, the big ones) and find out why the emails are being blocked (not held, blocked) assuming they're being sent at all (i.e., not sure it's not a database problem) and what the sender can do to to make these bulletins look less like spam.

I don't think there's anything that can be done at sender side, it's a problem in the destination ISP.

If Cakewalk will tell me what address to ask comcast if they're blocking I'll happily do it myself, but don't you think it would be easier for Cake to have that conversation once than having us all have the conversation individually?.

It's only because we love your work and want to hear about it in a timely manner. Nuttin but love.

I see. Well, love can generally wait 24 hours, till we announce it in the forums

Not all special offers are announced in the forums though. At least not officially.
post edited by agincourtdb - 2006/11/01 18:45:42

inmazevo
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3276
RE: Exp Pack #2 available for DimPro and Rapture 2006/11/01 19:33:44 (permalink)
Hey guys.
Please don't take this the wrong way (and sorry it's so long):

I have Cakewalk registrations (for various products) on two email accounts.
The first account never worked... no registration emails... no order confirmation emails... no mailing list emails...
The second account always worked fine.

About a month ago, the first account started working, and the second account stopped.
I called both email service providers (one a local isp, and the other a web hosting service)... both have (and have had) server-based spam filters over the entire time.
My ISP, which is small and friendly, readily admitted to an update to their spam filter... this somehow made my failing account work.
My web hosting service, which large and unfriendly (but cheap), didn't offer any suggestions, but I imagine it's something similar... causing my formerly working account to stop.

A little background (non-meant to be arrogant or elite... just factual):
I do this for a living (internet/email/isp interfaces/web servers - for 4 years now), and I interface with hotmail, aol, yahoo, vanilla-pop mail servers, exchange servers, vpn servers, small and large isps, earthlink, gmail, etc...

In the past 4 years, the spam wars have taken off, and it's everywhere.
There are dozens (or more) client-side spam filters that you can get free or buy to put on your local machine... you control them.
There are several dozen server-side/client-facing spam filters that you can also configure.
There are dozens of server-side/client-hidden spam filters that you do not see and cannot configure.

The first two are of little concern, and they're really there to help you filter this and that. They have wildly different levels of usefulness and reliability, and I generally turn them all off and don't install anything client-side.

The third one, however, is the problem.
This software is updated frequently... new versions... new patches... it's unbelievably fast, because it's a new-ish technology and everyone wants to be the best.
Companies may (or may not) even tell you one is in use, and they'll very likely not tell you which one.

If you're on a small isp, and they are nice, they MIGHT tell you one is being used (like my isp), and they might even tell you the basic configuration technique. On extremely RARE occasions, they'll let you tweak for this or that mailserver (like Cakewalk's server), but in 4 years I've only gotten that ONCE, and I've interfaced with dozens of them about this very topic.

If you're on a big isp (aol, earthlink), they probably won't even talk to you about it... I've never gotten them to tweak anything for me... not once. They have too many customers, and tweaks to spam filters on a user basis are manual... it just can't really be done in a costly and maintainable way.
AOL, for example, is particularly bad in the last year, and sometimes throws things on the floor, and other times keeps the email for days before giving it to you.

If you can get your ISP to tweak your settings now, and it starts working, the next update/patch or zealous admin might break it again... seen this.
If Cakewalk changes it's email heading to say something that doesn't "look" like spam, that may work for some, and break others, and again it relies on the settings being permanent (on the filter), and they aren't.

Partnerships between companies and ISPs is a great idea.
However, we've also tried this and it's VERY difficult to get them to listen, even if you are corporate and have power and money.
Some of them even want money to do it... one in particular actually said they would if we started using their companies servers (hmm... who could that be?).

I know this is long, and slightly OT for this thread, and I apologize.
I also am not trying to be flaming or anything. I know it's annoying... I really do. I see it at least weekly, and it makes my job periodically quite annoying (though I'm getting used to it).

I just really don't see any solution right now, and I really don't think it's Cake's fault, at least not entirely.
Email, after 4 years, is less reliable (from where I stand now) than 4 years ago, but I also rarely ever get spam.

Take care,
- zevo
post edited by inmazevo - 2006/11/01 19:51:39
René
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1103
RE: Exp Pack #2 available for DimPro and Rapture 2006/11/01 22:17:26 (permalink)
If Cakewalk will tell me what address to ask comcast if they're blocking I'll happily do it myself, but don't you think it would be easier for Cake to have that conversation once than having us all have the conversation individually?.

It's not only not easier, but totally impossible. An e-mail can hop hundreds of times amongst providers before reaching you. There's no possible way to know where the email for each customer will end.

Not all special offers are announced in the forums though. At least not officially.

True, I was referring to the topic (Expansion Packs). Regarding offers, believe me that there's noone on earth more interested to have the delivery message reaching the targets than Cakewalk. Greedy as it might sound, more targets = more potential sales. Still, even when I'm not the IT guy this time I've been there done that. It's definitely not something with a known solution which works for 100% of the targets.

I'm personally enrolled in a paid anti-spam service. I often receive offers and other messages several weeks after they expired, as a consequence of it, and it's a *paid* service. Fortunately, they give me a 'whitelist' service where I can add those domains I trust and want to allow everytime. Several internet providers offer this service, but most people don't know or don't care about it. As a consequence of this, you'll often hear horror stories about the 'lack of respect' because a given message didn't reach, which is only a consequence of the error margins of current internet communication systems.

The internet isn't as clean as it once was, and it's everyday a bit worse. And it's not any better for companies or people selling than it is for people buying.

-René
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
RE: Exp Pack #2 available for DimPro and Rapture 2006/11/02 00:51:16 (permalink)
René,

just post all the info here. Everybody that matters checks here, as far as I can tell ;-}

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
oroboros
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 901
RE: Exp Pack #2 available for DimPro and Rapture 2006/11/02 01:42:28 (permalink)
Dealing with Spam is actually very easy, if you're willing to buy a web hosting plan that includes email accounts with aliases. You can pick these up for around $5 a month, nowadays. Plus as a "bonus" you can actually host files and such, if you so desire. I get maybe 6 Spam emails a YEAR using the following system:

Firstly, you create one "real" email address on your hosting plan - which you hand out to nobody. Nobody. Then, using your host's email system, you create an "alias" email for each company / person you deal with, like so:

cakewalk@mysite.tld
bank@mysite.tld
parents@mysite.tld
bullcrap@mysite.tld
whocares@mysite.tld
creditcard1@mysite.tld
carbill@mysite.tld
susan@mysite.tld
... etc.

All (or some, if you want to have phony addresses) of which point to your "real" email address, redirected by your hosting company. You get all your emails from your "real" account, in one centralized location, like any normal email address. But they're all delivered to separate email addresses, easily trackable.

The point is, if any of the above email addresses is compromised or harvested, you kill that one alias and create another (or not). Say if "parents@mysite.tld" is hacked because your parents just don't understand technology well, you kill that alias, set up "parents2@mysite.tld", and give your parents the new email address, after telling them to be more careful next time.

With this scheme you can also now trace who's selling your email address to Spammers. (In my case, Ameritrade, surprisingly).

Works like a charm, folks. That is, if you can afford the price of a coffee at Starbucks each month. Sure, it takes a couple of hours to set up in the beginning, but once set up, it basically runs itself for years on end.

I do get all Cakewalk emails, and I have no Spam filters of any kind set up.
post edited by oroboros - 2006/11/02 02:17:00

To think, at one time P5 was a $429 MSRP app.

I think that technology and music has always been together, and I think music is science, anyway. - Vangelis

The Other P5 Forum
naughtyhill
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1037
RE: Exp Pack #2 available for DimPro and Rapture 2006/11/02 10:19:17 (permalink)
I really don't understand this spamming biz. I NEVER EVER open email I do not recognise. My spammail box is bloated from the amount of junk that goes there.
I mean what's the ****ing point !!!
"If you don't want to receive this mail again click here": a nice way for them to find out your mail adress is alive and worth a lot of money.
I haven't reveived any spam mail on my pc for over 4 years now. All spam is collected serverside and maybe once a year a valid email ends up there by mistake.
That is no problem cause I can correct it by putting it on the whitelist.
I pay good money for it though.

Ermm.....maybe that's the point.

SteveW
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: Exp Pack #2 available for DimPro and Rapture 2006/11/02 14:45:05 (permalink)
I have to say very simply:

During the mid-'90s, Eric Persing's work, initially for Roland, and then for his own company, really set a standard for musicality in electronic music programming.

Later, work by Rob Papen carried the same kind of weight and made the Virus a very popular synth.

I've been very hardware-oriented for many years, using softsynths as a supplement.

With Rapture and Dimension Pro, I think they're good enough to be easily competitive with any hardware synth, not only in quality and variety of sound but in depth and variety of control. Personally, I'm finally at a place where I can consider software synthesis -- with these, and Reaktor -- an equivalent partner in my explorations with my hardware synths.

Enough so that it warranted me building a custom computer to support SP6 with Dimension, Rapture and Reaktor 5 as the software foundation for the platform.

I know a lot of people have converted to softsynth use for lots of bread 'n butter purposes long before me. For me, this is more about the full aesthetics and enjoyment of making music.

The work for Dimension Pro and Rapture in the expanded soundsets is absolutely premiere, competitive with anything Persing or Papen have done, and puts these two instruments right at the core of my music-making now.

Congratulations to all of you for your hard work; for me, this is an epoch-making advance in musicality for software synthesis. And I should simply add, I thoroughly enjoy the more experimental, more electronic direction the later XPs have gone. I'm sorry I'm probably more of a minority in the audience for your work; I'd strongly encourage more of it, if it were possible to justify such experimentation, with what has always been a mostly conservative player audience (more piano emulations, less scratchy noises, in other words, from the majority) as your primary customer base.
Frank@ProSounds
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 199
RE: Exp Pack #2 available for DimPro and Rapture 2006/11/02 16:39:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveW

I have to say very simply:

During the mid-'90s, Eric Persing's work, initially for Roland, and then for his own company, really set a standard for musicality in electronic music programming.

Later, work by Rob Papen carried the same kind of weight and made the Virus a very popular synth.

I've been very hardware-oriented for many years, using softsynths as a supplement.

With Rapture and Dimension Pro, I think they're good enough to be easily competitive with any hardware synth, not only in quality and variety of sound but in depth and variety of control. Personally, I'm finally at a place where I can consider software synthesis -- with these, and Reaktor -- an equivalent partner in my explorations with my hardware synths.

Enough so that it warranted me building a custom computer to support SP6 with Dimension, Rapture and Reaktor 5 as the software foundation for the platform.

I know a lot of people have converted to softsynth use for lots of bread 'n butter purposes long before me. For me, this is more about the full aesthetics and enjoyment of making music.

The work for Dimension Pro and Rapture in the expanded soundsets is absolutely premiere, competitive with anything Persing or Papen have done, and puts these two instruments right at the core of my music-making now.

Congratulations to all of you for your hard work; for me, this is an epoch-making advance in musicality for software synthesis. And I should simply add, I thoroughly enjoy the more experimental, more electronic direction the later XPs have gone. I'm sorry I'm probably more of a minority in the audience for your work; I'd strongly encourage more of it, if it were possible to justify such experimentation, with what has always been a mostly conservative player audience (more piano emulations, less scratchy noises, in other words, from the majority) as your primary customer base.

WoW!!! Major Compliment there sir! Thank you, on my behalf anyway...you're words are very much appreciated.
Nick P
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3112
RE: Exp Pack #2 available for DimPro and Rapture 2006/11/02 20:26:03 (permalink)
Rapture and DimPro are really top-drawer soft-synths. I realize there are many choices out there, but mine is to limit to these two for now. There is plenty of programming depth and opportunity to be had.

I do wish that some programmer(s) would create a Rapture vintage/retro set focusing on making Rapture copy old analogs like Minimoog, Prophet V, Jupiter 8, Oberheim OB series, etc... I think that might be a big seller.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
SteveW
RE: Exp Pack #2 available for DimPro and Rapture 2006/11/02 22:58:04 (permalink)
Nick I don't know, sure, it would be nice, but we've had plenty of years emulating old analogues. Sure they're timeless but really, in my opinion, there's a lot more to do beyond what they've already done, and it just seems so restrictive to be pushing for emulation as the be-all and end-all for synth sound design, when there's such a wider range of things that are possible with the current environment.

Ok back to lurk mode now. :)
Melvin J.
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 210
RE: Exp Pack #2 available for DimPro and Rapture 2006/11/02 23:53:58 (permalink)
I would rather have non-emulation presets too. I think like these instruments (Rapture & DP) for more than just sounds from the past, let's bring in new sounds instead in future XP's.
inmazevo
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3276
RE: Exp Pack #2 available for DimPro and Rapture 2006/11/03 17:23:42 (permalink)
Hmm...
I like my EXS24 & Proteus X2 for emulation... of course, they are both comparatively limited in comparison to Rapture particularly, but I recently "fell" into Proteus X2 for $99, so it doesn't bother me so much.
Of course, I have a Korg Z1 as well, so between them I can get the "vintage/classic" synth feel in any of my tracks.

However, while I wouldn't "need" emulation so much, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing some patches in a future expansion pack (assuming, of course that there will be future expansion packs), it would be nice to have them there as well.

I'm personally quite happy with the expansion packs so far... both of them. NOT really for the sounds, but for the examples they provide.
One of the things I found quite lacking on some of the older "analog/analog modelling" synths was good example presets. I don't mind presets, and sometimes use them in tracks (we talked about this in another thread recently), but my favorite thing about presets and expansion packs is the "I didn't know you could do that" vibe I get from some of them.

The "drawbar" stuff from expansion pack 1 was a perfect example of this (thanks B-rock for pointers about this).

Take care,
- zevo
SteveW
RE: Exp Pack #2 available for DimPro and Rapture 2006/11/04 22:47:13 (permalink)
Of course, right after my songs of joy and high praises, my whole new computer system went klunk, and I think I've discovered a line of Maxtor hard drives that should be phased out soon (have returned, count 'em, six of the things in the past two days!). Sigh.

But now I'm back up and running.

Cakewalk people if you've seen me repeatedly downloading all the XP packs and updates and the like, no worries; I'm only running the one copy, I've just had to install it four times over the past two days only to have it die under me the first three.....

This is why I like... keyboards! Except then you break a key, and have to wait weeks until a part is in, hope it's shipped to the right place, etc. etc.

Where's my harmonica...... ;)
jeriann3
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Exp Pack #2 available for DimPro and Rapture 2006/11/16 18:20:05 (permalink)
I LOVE this instrument too.... the Violin sound really impresses me, and I found a neat way to use "whooping cranes" in a presentation background soundbyte, was really fun
http://www.dephoto.com/ click on "wildlife presentation" if you want to listen -- Thanks guys for great sounds!

JA --
Frank@ProSounds
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 199
RE: Exp Pack #2 available for DimPro and Rapture 2006/11/17 00:37:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jeriann3

I LOVE this instrument too.... the Violin sound really impresses me, and I found a neat way to use "whooping cranes" in a presentation background soundbyte, was really fun
http://www.dephoto.com/ click on "wildlife presentation" if you want to listen -- Thanks guys for great sounds!

Excellent presentation! Very relaxing.
Melvin J.
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 210
RE: Exp Pack #2 available for DimPro and Rapture 2006/11/17 01:05:38 (permalink)
Ha, that was cool, good job jeriann3!
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1