Helpful ReplyFree mixing template revised!

Page: << < ..1112 > Showing page 11 of 12
Author
Sungod
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 78
Re:Free mixing template revised! 2010/03/18 22:18:03 (permalink)
After coming back to the Sonar forum since Cakewalk sent me a hard to pass up email deal on SPE 8.5, I've snagged a UI Patch and a Mixing Template...Some of you are making it hard not to switch from Samplitude Music Studio back to Sonar.

Dell Quad Core Desktop, XP Pro, 4 GB RAM, Dual Drives 1TB, Samplitude 11.03, Sonar 8.5 Producer, Mixcraft 5.  TonePort UX2 interface. Audio Technica, MXL, & Shure Mic's.   Lot's of Basses, Guitars, and other instruments.

My Songs:

www.soundclick.com/sungod
rbowser
Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6518
Re:Free mixing template revised! 2010/03/18 23:21:25 (permalink)
"...Samplitude Music Studio back to Sonar....

You mean--there's supposed to be a contest there - ?  - ! -

rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
Peter J
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 424
Re:Free mixing template revised! 2010/03/21 16:18:25 (permalink)
bumper

-Phoen1x

the artist formerly known as Peter J

new music soon from Tightrope Fortune!

The *brand new* Phoen1xDAW:
Core i5 3.3 GHz on Asus P8B75-M
32 GB Mushkin Blackline RAM
(2) Seagate 1 TB HD's
1 GB nVidia Vid
Win 7 Pro SP1
SONAR X3!

My DAW is not cutting edge. It is middle-of-the-blade super bang for the buck! The BAM is in the RAM. ;-|

SF_Green
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1403
RE: Free mixing template revised! 2010/03/21 19:43:21 (permalink)
Jose7822

xpenno

Oh yes, one question if I may? I loaded the template into Sonar 8 and read the release notes which mentioned that the Master Out was set to RMS and as such the mix should be around the -20 mark. I noticed that the demo song provided was peaking at just under 0db on the meters and wondered if this could have been reset by me using a new version of Sonar? Is there an easy way to set this back?

Cheers

Spence 

Hey there!

I'm not Jonas, but I can help you with your question.  The reason for the disparity is because you're reading the PEAK levels instead of the RMS (Root Median Square) levels as suggested.  To change this, click on the drop-down arrow found next to the Show/Hide All Meters button (It's to the right of the Snap to Grid button in the Tool Bar).  Go down to the end where it says "Bus Meter Options" and select "RMS".  That'll show you the average levels of the song, which is what Jonas was refering to.

HTH

I'm not Jonas, but I can help you with your question. The reason for the disparity is because you're reading the PEAK levels instead of the RMS (Root Median Square) levels as suggested. To change this, click on the drop-down arrow found next to the Show/Hide All Meters button (It's to the right of the Snap to Grid button in the Tool Bar). Go down to the end where it says "Bus Meter Options" and select "RMS". That'll show you the average levels of the song, which is what Jonas was refering to.

Ah - enlightenment...

Many thanks for this Jose!!

AMD FX-8370, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3,  Win7x64 SP1, 16Gb CorsairDDR3-1600, GeForce GTX 950 (390.65), SSD 525Gb (OS), SATA 3 & 1.5Tb, MOTU microlite, RME FireFace 800 (D 3.124, fw 2.77), UAD-2Q, Adam A7X, A-800 PRO, CC121
Cubase Pro 10.0.5, SonarPt-2017.10 (x64), Reason10.2, Live 10.0.5 Suite, Wavelab Elements 9.5.40, Komplete10Ult, POD Farm2.5, Omnisphere2.5, BFD3, Alesis QS7.1, Arturia BeatStep Pro, POD HD500, Alesis ControlPad, ARP Omni, many things with strings. GrSltz My Studio
Melvin J.
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 210
RE: Free mixing template revised! 2010/03/25 14:36:49 (permalink)
Could I get someone to explain to me how the dual mono sub master bus (stereo splitter) increases width/depth?
When could this routing scheme be to a mixes detriment? IE, would it mess up some stereo effects making them artificially too wide or anything like that?
I am using this template on a project and really liking it thus far, I'm just looking for a good bit more insight into dual mono splitting, really. Are there any links to more info on this subject?

Studio Cat I7 920, Vista x64 Business, 6 GB DDR3, Sonar 8.5.2, E-MU 1820M
wrkactjob
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 159
Re: RE: Free mixing template revised! 2010/03/25 15:27:12 (permalink)
Thanks Jonas!
jsaras
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2642
Re: RE: Free mixing template revised! 2010/03/25 16:16:18 (permalink)
If you have a compressor with an "unlink" function, the dual mono sub master bus (stereo splitter) is not needed.  

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
patm300e
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 845
Re:Free mixing template revised! 2010/03/26 13:33:12 (permalink)
Thanks Jonas...Been using your Ozone presets for a while now...

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
Melvin J.
Re:Free mixing template revised! 2010/03/28 00:59:46 (permalink)
@jsaras- I scoured the internet and looked at about every dual mono capable compressor out there and was still left unsatisfied with my research. I am wondering where you got your technique of splitting to dual mono and recombining into stereo from?

jsaras
Re:Free mixing template revised! 2010/03/29 12:17:57 (permalink)
The technique has probably been around since the 50's.  Charles Dye spends some time discussing it in his "Mix It Like A Record" video.  What happens is that the left and right compressors (or a single compressor in unlinked mode) will react slightly differently creating a stereo image that is a little animated/dynamic.  As long as you are not slamming the compressor(s) too hard you shouldn't enounter any unpleasant shifts in the stereo image. 

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
Melvin J.
Re:Free mixing template revised! 2010/03/29 12:45:15 (permalink)
Gotcha! thanks J!

Melvin J.
Re:Free mixing template revised! 2010/03/29 13:52:40 (permalink)
One more thing. Is there supposed to be a compressor on the Mix Left bus and then a separate compressor on the Mix Right Bus then? There is nothing on either bus in the template.

ivanSC
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 325
Re: RE: Free mixing template revised! 2010/06/20 16:56:46 (permalink)
I look forward with interest to playing with your toys!

Thanks.
STinGA
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 552
Re: RE: Free mixing template revised! 2010/06/20 17:22:38 (permalink)
Thanks so much.....very generous of you.
JamieC
  • Total Posts : 73
Re: RE: Free mixing template revised! 2010/06/20 17:48:34 (permalink)
hey jsarus.  Stumbled across your template and I'm really looking forward to giving it a go.  Thanks for sharing.  Will report back... J
rbowser
Re: RE: Free mixing template revised! 2010/06/20 18:33:29 (permalink)
Having this thread come back up to the top reminded me that I'd downloaded version 2 of the template in March, and had been impressed, but hadn't really done anything with it yet.

I see discussion here about dual mono masters - but I don't have that.  When I open it, there's just a regular stereo master with a regular Cakewalk compressor on it.

I guess it's because I'm on Sonar 8.3.1 instead of 8.5--?  Not sure why that would change a bus template, but it's all I can think of.*

I don't get any warning messages about missing anything, but I do see the Rex file isn't turned on and can't be just by clicking it.  I could try going through the complicated post earlier about getting that part to work.  But for now, it's the nicely laid out orchestral template in folders with associated buses which I'm liking. 

The John Williams sample file sounds great with the TTS-1.  I may experiment with swapping out those patches with the ones I usually use, by way of switching the template to my own instruments.

Several questions have piled up on this thread - so I'm adding mine, the question about not having the dual mono masters in my Sonar 8.3.1.  But also to thank Jonas for this meticulously constructed template!

*EDIT:  I obviously got the two templates mixed up.  Now I see the 1st one is the orchestral one, and the 2nd one is the one with the dual mono master.  For this one, I did have quite a few things come up as missing, since I'm on 8.3.1 Studio.

Randy B.
post edited by rbowser - 2010/06/20 18:44:24

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
jsaras
Re: RE: Free mixing template revised! 2010/06/21 10:43:51 (permalink)
Is there a "split left" and "split right" and or some busses labeled "do not touch"?  If so, that is the version with the dual mono final output.

The "John Williams" stuff is from yet another template I posted not too long ago.  That one is optimized for orchestral MIDI mockups and it's quite different from the standard template that you will find in my signature.

It's always nice to see this thread bubble back up periodically.

rbowser
Re: RE: Free mixing template revised! 2010/06/21 10:52:47 (permalink)
Got it, Jonas - I was just momentarily confused by the files I had in my Cakewalk Projects folder from when I downloaded these previously. 

I'm in the process of adapting the Orchestral template for the instruments I use (mostly Garritan), adding tracks for piccolo and flute, whatever else isn't already there, and individual audio outs for each instrument.  It'll be fun to hear the sample file through those instruments.

For the most part I haven't used templates, though I've set various ones up now and then.  What I tend to do is open a project which is in the ballpark of what a new project needs to be, strip it of all data, and start recording.

But your well-thought our Orchestral template is inspiring, so I'll keep playing with it!

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
jsaras
Re: RE: Free mixing template revised! 2010/06/21 12:13:07 (permalink)
I'll offer one quick tip for using GPO4 with the orchestral template.  Turn on the "stereo stage" control on the Aria player, but turn off the Ambience reverb.  Then, you can disable the early reflection sends in the template.

If you want to contact me via email, I can send you the 4 basic multis I use in GPO4  (strings, woodwinds, brass, perc) that have all the reverbs, etc., all self-contained within the Aria player itself. 

Here's what it sounds like in action: http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com/GPO_ET_Adventures_Earth.mp3

jm24
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2127
Re:Free mixing template revised! How I use it. 2010/06/21 12:45:52 (permalink)
Thank you Jonas for sharing your experience. The two templates and ozone presets,... have helped me learn a bunch of stuff I no doubt needed to know.
==================
When the template was first posted I was daunted by the prospect of adapting many projects to use this knowledge, to learn a better way. Fortunately Sonar includes the track template function. So I decided to create a project to use as a master major "template" with everything in one spot. I have, and continue, to add/modify buses and tracks and instruments, to the template. And then save to track templates for use anytime/anywhere.

This way, if I need a new variation, I can add/modify a track/bus and save a track template.
Or, I can delete all the tracks not needed for the new project, and save to that project's name.

I find it easier to work with projects than with actual templates.

===============================

Buses I have added/modified:
  Vocals ALL
  Vocals Main
  Vocals Background
  Instruments ALL
  Guitars All
  Guitars 1
  Guitars 2
  MAIN OUT: Fed only from the Master Mix bus.
    The main out bus has Voxengo Span, vintage meter, Panipulator.
    I have at least two blank tracks labeled MIX1 and MIX2.
     These output to the MAIN OUT. No need to bypass the effects/eq for the Master Mix bus.
    I change the name (add the date) of the mix tracks before bouncing-to-tracks
       so the wav file will have a reasonable name.
==================

An example of a modification:

I created a couple of tracks for a particular guitar sound:
  set input
  enabled eq, with preset
  Added effects to the bin

Sends: 
    (these buses are routed to Instruments ALL)
    Reverb small room
    Flanger

Track OUTPUT to
    Guitars 1
      > Instruments ALL
        > Sub Master
          > L / R  do not touch
            > Master MIX
              > MAIN OUT

I then saved the tracks to track templates.

When I load this track templates I get ALL the buses and routings. I then modify the project to use the new buses,...

J

rbowser
Re: RE: Free mixing template revised! 2010/06/21 13:04:34 (permalink)
jsaras

I'll offer one quick tip for using GPO4 with the orchestral template.  Turn on the "stereo stage" control on the Aria player, but turn off the Ambience reverb.  Then, you can disable the early reflection sends in the template.

If you want to contact me via email, I can send you the 4 basic multis I use in GPO4  (strings, woodwinds, brass, perc) that have all the reverbs, etc., all self-contained within the Aria player itself. 

Here's what it sounds like in action: http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com/GPO_ET_Adventures_Earth.mp3

Jonas!  You're so industrious!  re: your tip about using the "stereo stage" but turning off Ambience is well taken.  I never use Aria's built-in reverb, preferring to deal with effects and most everything else in regards to mixing in Sonar.  I just use Aria, and the Kontakt Player before it, as a conduit to get sound into Sonar tracks where I do all panning, volume control, mixing etc.

I'll be emailing you, because I would be very interested to see how you've adapted your template for GPO4.  I'm not sure how you mean you've made it all self-contained in Aria - I guess you're using the Aria mixer more than I described above.  But you must still be using sends in Sonar for reverb, since we're agreeing to not use Ambience.

Well, I don't need to guess at what you've done - I want to see it!  - Thanks for your posted demo, it sounds wonderful.

Be talking again soon via email.

Randy B.
post edited by rbowser - 2010/06/21 13:05:47

Sonar X3e Studio
Alesis i|O2 interface
with dual monitors
steve@psbnoe.wanadoo
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 256
Re:Free mixing template revised! 2010/08/02 16:08:36 (permalink)
Melvin J.

One more thing. Is there supposed to be a compressor on the Mix Left bus and then a separate compressor on the Mix Right Bus then? There is nothing on either bus in the template.

This template is brill, but i would like to know the answer to this question please.

Cheers
Steve.

I was faced with a choice at a difficult age
Would I write a book? Or should I take to the stage?
But in the back of my head I heard distant feet
Che Guevara and Debussy to a disco beat
steve@psbnoe.wanadoo
Re:Free mixing template revised! 2010/08/04 13:46:40 (permalink)
Does anyone know?

jsaras
Re:Free mixing template revised! 2010/08/04 15:39:29 (permalink)
One of the earlier incarnations of the template had two identical compressors on 'mix left' and 'mix right' just as you describe.  If you choose to go that route get rid of the LP64 on the master bus. 

steve@psbnoe.wanadoo
Re:Free mixing template revised! 2010/08/04 16:00:46 (permalink)
jsaras

One of the earlier incarnations of the template had two identical compressors on 'mix left' and 'mix right' just as you describe.  If you choose to go that route get rid of the LP64 on the master bus. 

Thanks for the info, but does the LP64 have an unlink function? which is why i thought the busses were split.

Cheers
Steve. 

natewill18
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
Re:Free mixing template revised! 2011/01/10 16:30:37 (permalink)
so from what you're saying If I put a compresor on each split mono track as oppossed to the LP 64 I can get a more dynamic mix ?

Sky High Ent. / Trackboyz
musicroom
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2421
Re:Free mixing template revised! 2011/11/21 12:51:59 (permalink)
Bump for a X1 template...  Appreciate your work Jonas!

Dave
Songs

Guitarman1
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 380
Re: RE: Free mixing template revised! 2011/11/23 14:24:07 (permalink)
don't know where this post of mine will end up with all the ravings .. just downloaded it... can't wait to use it... thanx jonas... I am sure it will help me greatly

Pentium 4,
Vista Premium 64 bit
Dual Quad
8 gigs of ram
Delta 44
Sonar Producer 8.5.3

If only the good die young, then I should make it thru this economic crisis
bmb
  • Total Posts : 59
Re: RE: Free mixing template revised! 2011/11/26 07:05:11 (permalink)
Bump

SONAR X1 Expanded (64bit)
HP Pavilion dv7  Windows 7 (64bit)  8 gig ram
RiveraMan
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20
Re: RE: Free mixing template revised! 2011/11/28 03:58:26 (permalink)
Great work Jonas,
Thanks,
Dying to go home and check it out!
Best regards,
RiveraMan
Page: << < ..1112 > Showing page 11 of 12
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1