Fun with Windows 7 CPU

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
daveny5
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16934
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/05/12 13:46:12 (permalink)
Did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor before upgrading your XP system? If not, you should have.

Dave
Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
itllcometogether
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 97
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/05/12 14:06:13 (permalink)
Here is a perfect example of the Sonar CPU discrepancy:

• I have Sonar open, but sitting idle.  Windows Task Manager shows cpu for Sonar bouncing between 1-10%, and my TOTAL cpu usage at 5-14%
  • Sonar's cpu meter (in lower right status bar) is bouncing between 18-25%
How can Sonar alone be using more than the total cpu on my computer?  Not logically possible, unless the Sonar cpu meter is displaying something much less intuitive.

I would say it doesn't matter, but it is quite significant to me.  Sonar fails (crackles/slows down/drops-out) when it's cpu meter gets too high.  However, even when Sonar's cpu meter maxes out (100% and "Warning"), I still have plenty of cpu available on my computer.

As stated earlier, the core parking fix did not work and did not seem to apply to my dual core Xeon, but I'm willing to try again if it makes sense.
tarsier
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3029
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/05/12 20:52:41 (permalink)
How can Sonar alone be using more than the total cpu on my computer? Not logically possible, unless the Sonar cpu meter is displaying something much less intuitive.

Sonar's CPU meter displays the ratio of time it takes to process a buffer of audio, vs the time of the buffer itself. If Sonar's green audio engine light it on, then it is processing audio even if nothing is being played. So for example, if your buffer size is set to 128 or about 3 ms and it takes Sonar 1 ms to process that buffer then Sonar's CPU meter will display 33%.

If some process is running on your PC that prevents Sonar from processing that audio buffer in a timely manner, then it might take longer to process than the length of time of that buffer. In that case, Sonar's CPU meter will read higher than 100% and you will get some sort of audio glitch.
Mully
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1545
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/05/13 10:08:48 (permalink)
Yeah I'm thinking tarsier is on the right track with some process running... something else must be snotting you.... I'm presuming there is no virus type activity?

Something odd happening here outside of the box (so to speak )

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
jm24
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2127
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/05/14 10:25:28 (permalink)
Is this only happening in Sonar?

Media player?  Music?  DVD?

And does this happen with a new project?
Midi only?
Audio only?

=========================================

No doubt you have done this stuff, but,...

Msconfig:
 stop
     updaters and quick starters:
      java, qtime, acrobat, office, yahoo,... 

Have to uninstall ALL google related crap.

all video card helpers 
  ATI hotkey poller
   wireless config,...

Task Scheduler:
 I stopped lots of background stuff from starting that does not show in msconfig.

What does taskmgr indicate for processes cpu use?

Set pagefile to system managed
set processor scheduling to programs

Any thing else connected to the computer
 Wireless keyboard/mouse?
 USB controller thingys?

=============================

Bugs, comments & suggestions:
We expect this application to not always perform as described. This is by design. There are no bugs in our software, only undefined behaviors, and undocumented results. Enjoy the process of discovery. Please inform us of any unique actions you have encountered that we may include them in the list of known features.

jm24
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/05/15 09:52:48 (permalink)
- Sample rates are matched up (48khz)

I assume this means the card's settings, and the windows audio sound I/O settings.

Learning I had to change the windows settings was too time consuming. Definately made clicking noises.

Setting everything to 44 has the same results with new project?
daveny5
  • Total Posts : 16934
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/05/15 10:18:07 (permalink)
Windows 7 has some great tools for tuning your computer.
Go to Start - Computer - System Properties.
What is your Windows Experience Index? I have a Quad core with 4GB and mine is 5.9.
Click on Windows Experience Index. What do you get? I get:
Processor: 7.1
Memory: 7.1
Graphics: 5.9
Gaming Graphics: 6.4
Disk Transfer Rate 5.9

Then look at the tips and apply any that seem relevant. Maybe this might give you a clue to what is the problem.
post edited by daveny5 - 2010/05/15 10:19:50

Dave
Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/05/15 12:37:41 (permalink)
Hi all, sorry I'm late to the party, but I'm guilty of skipping over posts with "W7" in the subject line because I don't run it myself. Happily chugging away on XP here.

So let's review the evidence, so I can catch up:

1. Your DPC latency is in the green, so we can eliminate IRQ overhead as the problem. So scratch any avenues having to do with IRQ conflicts or with disabling adapters such as the usual suspects: wi-fi, NIC, video. Not relevant.

2. Video cards can be responsible for overhead that won't show up in the DPC Latency checker, but you've already replaced the video adapter and it made no difference. I think we can at least tentatively eliminate the video card.

3. The problem persists with the integrated audio interface and the Echo disabled, so we can eliminate the interface, its driver, and firewire. So forget the TI chipset, backrevving the driver, replacing the firewire interface or cable. None of that is relevant.

4. You sometimes see SONAR's CPU meter at 100%. As tarsier explained, SONAR's CPU meter measures something different than Task Manager and there isn't necessarily any direct correlation between the two. However, the SONAR meter does tell you something very important: that it was unable to service the audio buffer in the time allotted to do so.

So if the CPU wasn't servicing the buffers, then what WAS it doing? That is the pivotal question.

4. When the CPU meter maxes out, it's just one of the two cores. That's to be expected, actually. Many processes, including most VSTs, can only use one core at a time. If one of these processes gets stuck in a loop, it'll naturally eat up just one core's CPU cycles. Some VSTs perform much worse with multiple cores. Kontakt, for example, works much more efficiently when you tell it to use one core.

Here are some important questions that either haven't been asked yet, or have been asked but not answered:

- is the problem specific to one project, or all projects?
- are there any specific soft synths you use in all your projects, e.g. GPO, Kontakt, VSL or other heavy-duty samplers?
- does the problem persist if you click Global Bypass?
- does the problem occur with other audio applications such as WMP?
- have you performed memory and disk tests to confirm both are working properly? Intermittent read or write failures in either RAM or the hard drive could cause your symptoms.
- it's an older machine: how long has it been since you cleaned out the dust bunnies from the CPU heatsink? An overheating CPU will slow itself down as a self-preservation tactic.

So far the evidence suggests that the problem stems from either a plugin or a background process. If a plugin, that should be easy to find through a process of elimination. I'm guessing you've already done that by testing with a minimal, audio-only project. This avenue may also be eliminated if the dropouts occur in WMP as well.

That leaves some other process as the prime suspect. Task Manager does not list all processes. Did you know that a program can actually instruct Windows to NOT include itself in Task Manager's list? (Handy for virus writers, since viruses don't like to advertise themselves.) Many of Windows' own processes aren't listed there, either.

If you want to see ALL the processes, use Process Explorer from sysinternals.com instead of Task Manager. If a background process is getting greedy with CPU resources, this tool will steer you toward it. It will not, however, tell you if a process is blocking hardware, if your disk drive is taking correctable errors, or if the CPU is slowing down.

Another diagnostic tool you might want to look into is xperf, which is part of the Windows Performance Toolkit. WPT is a 4BG(!) download, so you'll want to use the web installer which lets you download just the tools. I don't have a lot of experience with xperf myself, since I am on XP (XP users can use the older kernrate utility, which I can tell you all about if you want), but this tool will let you peek into the secret life of your CPU and tell you just what it's really up to.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
itllcometogether
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/05/29 19:17:43 (permalink)
Thank you for more great input.  Sorry for the delay; I need to tweak my notification settings!
It's been nuts trying to figure this out, but I'd love to dive in again and give it another shot. 

For now, I switched to integrated audio for troubleshooting, to eliminate firewire/interface/etc from the equation.  It seems to be narrowing down a bit.  Thank you Mr. Bitflipper for stepping into Windows 7 territory; below are answers to your questions:

- is the problem specific to one project, or all projects?
The issue is in most of my projects, but not all.  Here are some examples/results of Sonar projects:
BAD = ONLY Beatscape and Rapture LE (one instance each)
BAD = Kontakt 3 (one instance w/ 2 instruments loaded) + audio tracks
BAD = Kontakt 3 (one instance w/ 3 instruments loaded) (NO audio tracks)
OK  = Superior Drummer 2 (one instance) w/ Audio tracks
OK  = 3 audio tracks only

- are there any specific soft synths you use in all your projects, e.g. GPO, Kontakt, VSL or other heavy-duty samplers?
(see above)

- does the problem persist if you click Global Bypass?
Global Bypass = slight improvement on larger projects, but still turns into static eventually.
I have Vintage Channel VC64 in most projects.  Bypassing it has no positive effect.

- does the problem occur with other audio applications such as WMP?
No issues in WMP (although I do get a very rare pop while playing a .wav)
I have noticed crackling in some Windows system sounds, randomly and rarely.

- have you performed memory and disk tests to confirm both are working properly? Intermittent read or write failures in either RAM or the hard drive could cause your symptoms.
Memory test came back clean.  Drive Error checks came back clean.
Drives are defragmented regularly.

- it's an older machine: how long has it been since you cleaned out the dust bunnies from the CPU heatsink? An overheating CPU will slow itself down as a self-preservation tactic.
It is very clean in there...surprisingly clean...

Recent notes:
I use one External drive for samples (plus 2 internal drives for OS and audio).  It is connected via firewire to its own pci card--I've tried the legacy firewire drivers for that card too.  The drive also has USB connectivity, which I tried to no avail.  It is a West Digital, MyBook, 7200RPM

I didn't see anything odd in Process Explorer (nice tool!), but I will try to delve deeper into that.

P.S.  Here is my Windows Experience Index
4.8...Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.00GHz
4.8...Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB
4.8...Graphics: ATI FireGL V3400 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
4.6...Gaming graphics: 1918 MB Total available graphics memory
5.3...Primary hard disk: 18GB Free (74GB Total)
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/05/29 21:16:41 (permalink)
Ah!  The score seems a bit low for CPU-memory intensive 64bit DAWs

Memory and Processor seem pretty minimal.  Is uprading these (and the hard drive) an option (or the computer itself at this point?)

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
itllcometogether
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/05/30 14:16:24 (permalink)
If I can't resolve the issue, replacing the computer is a last (and expensive) resort.  But I've been on 64-bits (XP x64) since I got this computer, and it should handle Windows 7 just fine.

I still think there is something rather simple I've missed, mucking everything up.  I feel I've been around the world twice with troubleshooting and research. Thanks for all input.  This has been an impressive thread, with fantastic ideas and suggestions!
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/05/30 14:57:01 (permalink)
I've read the whole thread and haven't seen anything mentioned about increasing the size of your buffers. You mentioned what your latency was; something like 5msec with a considerably longer round trip latency.

So try increasing your buffers.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
itllcometogether
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/05/30 15:55:02 (permalink)
I appreciate you reading this thread Mike; it's not a simple task!

I have tried increasing my Playback and Record buffers (Audio Options > Advanced).  Even jacking them up to 2048 made no difference.

I've also messed with Latency settings on the General tab.  It even statics out at crazy latencies like 100ms; and at these extreme latencies, there is latency in almost all Sonar action (e.g. starting/stopping playback, moving around the timeline, etc...)
Supercomposer
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 259
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/05/30 17:51:55 (permalink)
have you tried the other host sequencer (demos?) with the same plugin setup, just to cross check if it is perhaps the Sonar issue? I have the same results but all runs well in an other host application so,

you know most others have also x64 demos on web like Cubase , also Reaper....
post edited by Supercomposer - 2010/05/30 17:54:09

ME is the Supercomposer, and all your base are belong to us (Yes, I mean Germany)

System Spec: CPU 2x X7560 Xeon 16-Core, 48 GIG Ram Kingston, Intel with Supermicro Workstation MP Boards, RME HDSPe, PNY Quadro 6000
PeterMc
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 504
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/05/30 18:39:21 (permalink)
Perhaps time to think laterally. I recently built a new DAW and had similar problems (although different cpu and OS). Tried everything mentioned here to no avail. One key was that the crackling also happened using Winamp, so it was not a Sonar problem. The sound card drivers had worked flawlessly on the previous DAW. A lucky google found the right info. My motherboard (ASUS P7P55D) has some BIOS settings related to speed-stepping that don't play nice with audio. The key one was related to C-State (again some sort of power saving). I turned these off in the BIOS, and no more problems!

I'm not suggesting this will fix your problem, but the point is that it might not be Sonar, might not be your audio drivers, and might not be any of the usual suspects. Think laterally, and good luck.

Cheers, Peter.

Windows XP SP3
i5-750
ASUS P7P55D
ST-audio DSP24/C-Port
Sonar 8.5.3

Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/05/30 19:58:08 (permalink)
I'm out of my league here and you're being helped by the best this forum has to offer...but I'm sitting here reading this trying to think of anything we might have missed and remembered one of my biggest issues. Do you happen to have the 64 bit precision engine enabled in options/audio/general? If so, just for the heck of it, take the check out of that box and see if it makes a difference. For some odd reason, I cannot use that option on any of my pc's with any of my OS's. I get clicks, pops, stutters and drop-outs on XP Pro, Vista and Win 7 64 bit. As soon as I kill that option, I never have a problem and can run even my Realtek HD without any issues using ASIO4ALL drivers. Sorry you're having issues....I really hope you can get to the bottom of this. Good luck.

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
thebiglongy
  • Total Posts : 502
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/05/31 10:08:32 (permalink)
Out of curiosity, and also incase i've missed it, what motherboard did you say it was?

Did you purchase this sys0tem from Dell direct (i thought you mentioned something about updating bios via dell site?) as a pc set up for a DAW or was it just an off the shelf 64bit dell pc?

Reason I ask is because Motherboards and their onboard chipsets and even ram problems could bring this about. BSOD's are a usual sign of ram problems. If your mobo has a memtest i would start with that. Also check the temps of the CPU.
Might be worth checking if there's any dust cloggin the system up and over heating it whilst your at it ;)
jm24
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/05/31 11:22:58 (permalink)
This has got to be a basic issue.

Did it work correctly in the beginning?

You wrote it has become worse over time. Was it gradual?

Have you tried reaper, audacity?  With / without the echo interface?

Are the windows audio sound I/O settings the same as  the echo?
jm24
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/05/31 11:26:14 (permalink)
And does this happen with the sonar demo projects?
itllcometogether
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/05/31 14:23:43 (permalink)
Mr. Danzi, thank you for your input.  I've tried 64 bit precision engine on/off, no difference.

thebiglongy, I'm not certain what model motherboard my Dell Precision 490 has; I will see if BIOS can tell me.  I did purchase direct from DELL (NEVER again, and not because of this issue).  I customized the setup when ordering.  It was XP x64 at the time, which was never perfect w/ Sonar, but much better than Win 7 x64.  I did a memory test (came up clean), and the innards are physically clean as well.

jm24, it worked a lot better on XP x64, but I hoped Win 7 would provide better performance.  I upgraded my audio interface (Echo Audiofire 8), trying to get better latency/performance, but the issues remained (or got worse). 

I have not tried other sequencers, and I don't want to install any at this time (thanks for reading, Supercomposer). But I am only using the onboard soundcard for now to troubleshoot.

I just tried the "SONAR Audio and MIDI DEMO2.cwp" again, and it is full of static/crackle, until I set latency way up over 100ms.  This project uses NO soft synths, and the MIDI track doesn't play since I don't have "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW synth".

One question for now... From what I understand, when you plug USB/Firewire devices into a new port, drivers are loaded.  I've moved stuff around so much in troubleshooting, there must be excessive drivers on each port.  Is there a way to clear out all those type of drivers?  I.e. refresh all USB/Firewire ports?

PeterMc, thanks, I will look deeper (and carefully) into more BIOS settings.  I'll see if I have "C-State" or other power-saving features.  In fact, I'm about to reboot and do that now. I'll see if there are any obvious and reversible things to change and test.
thebiglongy
  • Total Posts : 502
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/05/31 14:49:18 (permalink)
Looking at the tech specs on the website, it isn't clear other than saying its and Intel 5000 chipset... so probably a board made specifically for dell. They can be a pain in the backside for this.

I'd be wondering if it's not something more to do with the mobo, reports of problems on dell systems aint nothing new unfortunately.
itllcometogether
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/05/31 15:40:38 (permalink)
Here are some current BIOS settings, if anybody is familiar...
SpeedStep = Off
Virtualization = Off
Snoop Filter = On
ACL (Adjacent Cache Line) Prefetch = On *
HW (Hardware) Prefetch = On
FSB Optimizations = On *
[EDIT] SERR Message = On (missed this one)

* The factory default for these two is OFF.  I don't know how they got turned on.  BIOS update perhaps?

There is no "C-State" but I do have "Low Power Mode" set to Off.
post edited by itllcometogether - 2010/05/31 15:49:11
jm24
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/05/31 17:55:59 (permalink)
Cannot verify this here, but memory tells me win7 defaults to 48k for the audio "device."

Control panel | hardware and sound | sound | playback | properties | advanced

I had to change this to 44, and the emu to 44, to stop the clicks in sonar during intial use of w7.

Although the emu dudes claim this setting should change when changing the emu settings it does not for me.

Since you are using only the internal sound device, you should only have the one setting.

But if the sonar project is 44 and the device is at 48, clicks will prolly be heard.

Reaper is small footprint, easy to uninstall.

If no noises with reaper then it is clearly sonar.

If clicks with reaper it is clearly not sonar.

Good to eliminate all the usual suspects before spending lots of hours doing the same thing with the same results.

And so on

J
PeterMc
  • Total Posts : 504
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/05/31 22:43:12 (permalink)
itllcometogether

Here are some current BIOS settings, if anybody is familiar...
SpeedStep = Off
Virtualization = Off
Snoop Filter = On
ACL (Adjacent Cache Line) Prefetch = On *
HW (Hardware) Prefetch = On
FSB Optimizations = On *
[EDIT] SERR Message = On (missed this one)

* The factory default for these two is OFF.  I don't know how they got turned on.  BIOS update perhaps?

There is no "C-State" but I do have "Low Power Mode" set to Off.

I suggest you try turning off the Snoop Filter, ACL, HW prefetch and FSB optimizations and see if anything changes. You can always turn them on again. At this stage, it's worth trying simple things like these before re-installing (which is a pain, and might not cure it anyway). Again, good luck.

Cheers, Peter.

p.s. I found myself thinking while trying to sort out my own crackling problems, wouldn't it be great if someone could write a software tool to trace the audio signal path and find out where the crackle is being added. There has to be a particular point at which the signal goes from clean to crap.
Mira Slunicko
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/06/01 04:20:39 (permalink)
Antivirus programs are often very deep inside the operating system and sometimes are source of some strange system behaviour. A friend of mine once told me he had some problems with Avast antivirus and disabling it wasn't enough. He had to uninstall it to solve the problem. 

Next, a method that once helped me to solve a strange behaviour of a program was to assign only one CPU to the program - via Tak manager | processes | right click on the process | select the last item in the menu (sorry, I have Czech windows and have no idea what the english caption of the menu item could be - something like CPUs link ?) and then uncheck all the CPUs but one.

It might not help but you can give it a try.

As Bitflipper have recommended - you can open a Process Explorer from sysinternals.com and configure it to graphically show CPU load of each process. There's a chance that when  drop-outs occure there could be some activity visible in  processes graphs.

Good luck
Mira

FLZapped
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 152
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/06/01 11:07:36 (permalink)
itllcometogether

I appreciate you reading this thread Mike; it's not a simple task!

I have tried increasing my Playback and Record buffers (Audio Options > Advanced).  Even jacking them up to 2048 made no difference.

Sometimes shutting off the SONAR buffer is the right answer. -Bruce
chasekh
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 874
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/06/01 11:51:20 (permalink)
Hi,Please check your hdd in device manager.It must be in dma mode.It may be in pio mode.Also download sea tools from seagate site and check if the hdd is ok.
good luck 

Q9450,DX38BT mobo,17"&15"lcd sony,8gb ram 1333MHz,(512Mb),828 mk ii audio,Win 7(64) home premium.SONAR 8.5.3 Producer
dance_lets@yahoo.com
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 177
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/06/01 14:46:41 (permalink)
John

When I say a Vista/Windows 7 capable graphics card it does not need to be an expensive one. I paid $79 for mine. It works great.

Hi John,
   Could you tell us which card you got?  I'm looking for a W7 compatible card with dual vga outputs.

Andrew Cuomo's B-Slappin Mafia-Bro  audio and background music made with SONAR

jm24
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/06/01 15:42:49 (permalink)
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re:Fun with Windows 7 CPU 2010/06/01 16:19:01 (permalink)
dance_lets@yahoo.com

John

When I say a Vista/Windows 7 capable graphics card it does not need to be an expensive one. I paid $79 for mine. It works great.

Hi John,
  Could you tell us which card you got?  I'm looking for a W7 compatible card with dual vga outputs.

Mine is an XFX 8600 fanless model that I bought at MicroCenter. There are better ones for less now. It was $79 when I bought it.  I have not had any trouble with this one. I run Vista with full Aero support on dual monitors. I may upgrade if/when I see a real bargain.  It has served me well.

Just checking around I found a few for $39 at Newegg. Not the same as mine but better. LOL

Best
John
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1