Helpful ReplyFuture of activation of pre-bandlab versions?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
zombiequeen
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2018/04/07 12:50:39 (permalink)

Future of activation of pre-bandlab versions?

Quick question, who maintains activation of older Sonar versions now? Activation servers for Command Center stays with Gibson or Bandlab took over? In other words, what are future prospect of activating older versions, will it be possible or I'll have to move on to Bandlab version?
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
. 2018/04/07 13:02:13 (permalink)
post edited by Splat Chat O'samplemashy - 2018/12/06 13:20:09

Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: Future of activation of pre-bandlab versions? 2018/04/07 13:22:42 (permalink)
Currently the old customer database is still active and so will activate through command center. Its not sure how long this will stay active so you should transition over to the CbB version as soon as possible. It will soon be a superset of SONAR Platinum and so there will be little reason to use older versions anyway. You can leave them installed for some of the included plugins you may have got as part of your paid membership. All the included content can be used in CbB so you lose nothing.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
. 2018/04/07 15:56:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ampfixer 2018/04/07 20:58:03
post edited by Splat Chat O'samplemashy - 2018/12/06 13:20:18

chris.r
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 206
Re: Future of activation of pre-bandlab versions? 2018/04/07 16:13:31 (permalink)
^ This
zombiequeen
Re: Future of activation of pre-bandlab versions? 2018/04/07 16:14:06 (permalink)
Adobe didn't go belly up, so they kind of had to provide the installers to avoid legal hassle (I've been hit by this too, bad luck for software choices, eh). Cakewalk is closed and Bandlab only purchased IP, so...
This is bad news, but thanks for clarification.
Steve_Karl
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2534
Re: Future of activation of pre-bandlab versions? 2018/04/07 18:47:30 (permalink)
mister happy
In fact, what we may lose is the ability to use the software license we purchased rights too and if we need to reinstall the older software after the activation server is shut down we may be cheated out of those rights,

When Adobe shut down their CS2 servers they provided a way to install that generation of software which still works even though Adobe has subsequently produced 5 generations and several years worth of CC products.

The company who bought Cakewalk’s customers may do the same for its customers or it may not and try to distract everyone with free stuff and promises of more.

+1

Steve Karl
https://soundcloud.com/steve_karl
SPLAT 2017.01
Steve_Karl
Re: Future of activation of pre-bandlab versions? 2018/04/07 18:49:10 (permalink)
Currently the old customer database is still active and so will activate through command center. Its not sure how long this will stay active so you should transition over to the CbB version as soon as possible. It will soon be a superset of SONAR Platinum and so there will be little reason to use older versions anyway. You can leave them installed for some of the included plugins you may have got as part of your paid membership. All the included content can be used in CbB so you lose nothing.

Noel, I'm very happy you're involved in the new vision. Thank you!
However,
So far, after a quick look at CbB I can tell you what I, personally, will loose by abandoning SPLAT 2017.01 for CbB
and in a very simple one sentence evaluation.

I would loose a much more powerful and faster for my work flow PRV.

I promise I will be eventually be writing up a full A vs B evaluation of how and why 2017.01 PRV smokes the current CbB PRV in speed and elegance of work flow.

Very Long run:
My worst case scenario is that X3 can be installed without authorization.
(X3 PRV not as fast/good as 2017.01 but still better than CbB.)
Best case, CbB gets hip to the jive and fixes a few things that are real work flow slow downs.

Edit:
PRV Shootout: CbB vs 2017.01
http://forum.cakewalk.com...-m3747143.aspx#3747143
post edited by Steve_Karl - 2018/04/08 20:07:28

Steve Karl
SPLAT 2017.01
rabeach
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2703
Re: Future of activation of pre-bandlab versions? 2018/04/07 19:15:07 (permalink)

somewhere in there was a how do we install those included plugins so we lose nothing in the future when we build a new PC. :-)
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Future of activation of pre-bandlab versions? 2018/04/07 19:30:27 (permalink)
1. Music Creator 7
2. Rapture Pro/Rapture Session
3. SONAR Platinum/Professional/Artist
4. Z3TA+ 2
5. CA-2A

The above applications are listed as requiring "offline activation" with access to the internet for an activation file. They invisibly activate if using CCC, but presumably will no longer do so after the CCC link is broken. Some of us purchased the softsynths before they came bundled with SONAR, which itself will not longer activate without an activation server to provide an activation file, and some customers bought them without buying SONAR. So clearly the availability of Cakewalk by Bandlab is not a solution to everyone's problems.
Cakewalk Staff
Re: Future of activation of pre-bandlab versions? 2018/04/07 19:53:29 (permalink)
I see your point about plugins like Rapture pro. Other platinum plugins install without requiring activation.
I'm sure we'll figure out some way to handle this situation once we have all the customer database migration in place.
For now Command Center is still active so there is no problem.

Noel Borthwick
Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: Future of activation of pre-bandlab versions? 2018/04/07 20:53:14 (permalink)
Now I'm getting nervous.... First you tell me there will be no offline activation option for the new Cakewalk, now you're saying I may lose the ability to authorize Splat without an internet connection?! This just keeps getting better and better.....
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Future of activation of pre-bandlab versions? 2018/04/07 21:03:02 (permalink)
It is a fairly frequent problem reported on this forum that an activated SONAR installation will revert to demo mode. The usual, and apparently almost always successful solution suggested is to log out of CCC then log back in again which apparently fixes the issue. Is this fix dependent on a live CCC connection? And on a related note, is there an activation token stored on the local system by ccc that can be backed up and used to activate again if the system crashes, and there is no website that ccc can connect to? I presume that we could install the applications from the native installers and then request and save an activation file so long as the Cakewalk backend servers are still functioning, but is there an easier way?
zombiequeen
Re: Future of activation of pre-bandlab versions? 2018/04/07 21:13:45 (permalink)
I remember there was a promise we can go on using what we have. Turns out we have to "upgrade".
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Future of activation of pre-bandlab versions? 2018/04/07 21:25:52 (permalink)
I see your point about plugins like Rapture pro. Other platinum plugins install without requiring activation.
I'm sure we'll figure out some way to handle this situation once we have all the customer database migration in place.
For now Command Center is still active so there is no problem.

Can't you see why "trust me" may not carry the weight it used to?

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Stringrazor1
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 579
Re: Future of activation of pre-bandlab versions? 2018/04/07 23:56:49 (permalink)
Sorry if this question seems repetitious but I want to be sure I understand the current viability of the s/w on my DAW. I have 8.5p and X3p installed as well as the 3rd party bundled s/w that came from a very long history of upgrades (I've been a Cakewalk customer since the DOS days).  I didn't however, upgrade to SPlat and the subscription model so I've been out of the loop for a while.  What would my S8.5p & X3p SONAR + 3rd party bundle re-auth/activation procedure be now if my motherboard went belly-up and I had to build a new DAW?  

Hopefully, this question will become moot when CbB (which I have installed along side 8.8p & X3p) gets rolling but as some of my hard drives have reminded of recently, you never know when electronic components are going to fail.

---- Gary ----
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Future of activation of pre-bandlab versions? 2018/04/08 00:09:51 (permalink)
Those versions do not need on line activation. You install them like you always did from a DVD or ISO image on a hard drive.
All my software is stored as ISO images because DVD's and CD's don't last forever. 
I use this these days. free and works. You have to manually transfer some folder depending on the disk your copying. 
http://www.minidvdsoft.com/isocreator/

Most of us have downloaded all our stuff from the "My Products" page and stored it on a free locations. Also we have a copy of all our serial #. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Future of activation of pre-bandlab versions? 2018/04/08 00:37:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rodreb 2018/04/08 02:10:10
What if a meteor levels Redmond, and the only server backup is in Singlish? We can imagine all kinds of troubling scenarios, but it only serves to raise our cortisol levels. So many other things to worry about these days, such as whether I'll be able to afford shoes after the looming trade war gets into full swing.

It's not a big deal to move the authorization server to another host, and most of those plugins that you might need to reauthorize down the road are still going to be active products for sale. They are not going to be Kjaerhused. But that's only one of many issues Noel & Co. are dealing with - the only practical strategy is to keep the existing server up and running and worry about moving it later. Don't sweat it. At least until the next meteor shower.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
Re: Future of activation of pre-bandlab versions? 2018/04/08 01:33:18 (permalink)
Cactus Music
Those versions do not need on line activation. You install them like you always did from a DVD or ISO image on a hard drive.
All my software is stored as ISO images because DVD's and CD's don't last forever. 
I use this these days. free and works. You have to manually transfer some folder depending on the disk your copying. 
http://www.minidvdsoft.com/isocreator/

Most of us have downloaded all our stuff from the "My Products" page and stored it on a free locations. Also we have a copy of all our serial #. 

I have all my stuff. Had for years. For me it's hard to understand why everyone, over years haven't download or at least saved the install files for their software. That boggles my mind. I have had my serials, etc in an excel SS for years and updated it as I went along. 

BUT, more importantly, Cactus, are you replying to Slarta's post and the apps he mentioned? Would sure bum me out if I lost all the stuff.

Stringrazor1
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 579
Re: Future of activation of pre-bandlab versions? 2018/04/08 01:36:45 (permalink)
Cactus Music

I do remember getting an authorization code online though.  I just couldn't remember if that code was static or tied to the h/w, it's been so long since I've installed it. 
stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
Re: Future of activation of pre-bandlab versions? 2018/04/08 01:36:52 (permalink)
@Bitflipper...for that matter if they made an announcement and told those that have NOT downloaded what they need to do so because they will be moving the server but only for authorization purposes. What I mean is, we do NOT need the install files. I imagine they do take some huge space.... Just sayin......as long as I can authorize I would be fine....

Mosvalve
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1194
Re: Future of activation of pre-bandlab versions? 2018/04/08 02:06:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rodreb 2018/04/08 02:11:25
My guess is everything prior to Platinum will be fine because we have the serials etc. Say goodby to Platinum because It looks like there will not be an activation file for it. You have to use Bandlab version.

BobV 

ASUS Prime Z370-P - Intel Core i7+ 8700K 3.7GHZ 16GB Memory, Intel HD Graphics 630 GPU,  Windows 10 Pro 64bit,  , Sonar Platinum 64bit, Motu 828MK3 Hybrid, Warm Audio TB12 Pre, Warm Audio WA273 Pre, AEA RPQ 500 Pre, Warm Audio WA76 Compressor, Presonus D8 Pre, Tonelux EQ5P 500 Eq, Kush Electra 500 Eq, Lindell PEX 500 Eq, Yamaha 80M monitors with HS10W Sub,  and a bunch of other good stuff. I have a Roland Juno-106 that's looking for a new home. PM me.
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Future of activation of pre-bandlab versions? 2018/04/08 02:17:15 (permalink)
Mosvalve
My guess is everything prior to Platinum will be fine because we have the serials etc. Say goodby to Platinum because It looks like there will not be an activation file for it. You have to use Bandlab version.

Exactly- I probably won't even need Splat now we have Bandlab so why even worry about it. 
And as said above- it's just software, there will always be alternatives. 
I'll always have X3e. 

Myself I'm not predicting anything will go wrong for a long time, and by then I'll be to old to care...:) 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

ch.huey
  • Total Posts : 33
Re: Future of activation of pre-bandlab versions? 2018/04/08 02:56:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby getfr 2018/04/09 03:43:47

I am immensely grateful for Bandlab for taking up the Cakewalk IP, and even sticking with the name which I think deserves respect and I'm glad is being shown that by naming the program as such, but with respect, very little reason to use the older versions does not mean no reason to use the older versions.

I still have programs like Cool Edit 2000 installed, and because I have my serial, it still works. There are things I created it in that I need to open it for. As such, I purchased Sonar Platinum, and while I would like to think I will get everything I'm trying to finish absolutely perfect before I switch to Cakewalk by Bandlab, the option to go back to the original program these were created in down the line requires the original program to have all the effects and plugins native to that platform show up properly.

CbB is not Sonar Platinum - This does not guarantee future compatibility. Everything that has happened is incredibly unfortunate, and I bought Platinum based off of experience I had with Sonar 6 (which I don't own but have the project files from way back when on the DAW my band used, and they don't load in Platinum properly - my case in point), with the belief that Cakewalk would be around for at least another 10-20 years.

How I archive all of this material I am going to be finishing in Platinum is a very practical issue, and if it ends up that I can no longer activate it some day, I will have to make certain decisions about how I store the bundle files should I ever need to reopen them. There is absolutely no guarantee they will load in the future version of CbB, however similar it is, any more than how I'm missing plugins from the CWB files I have from projects made in Sonar 6 on a long gone musician's computer. It seems much more probable that installing an old, obsolete version of Platinum WILL pull up the original mixes as they were left when saved as CWB files.

I understand Bandlab is going out of their way to accommodate Platinum users, and having seen the early release I am excited for the future, but I have almost no reason to use Cool Edit 2000 in 2018, except to have my projects pull up properly like they did when I saved it in that program's format. There is a reason, however rare, and it is important, as I may not be able to access project files, or access them in ways that load properly (depending on how much CbB changes).

I really say this with respect and gratitude for everything Bandlab has done, and I have been willing to hold on to Sonar and keep working in it believing it wouldn't die out (or Cakewalk would keep activation servers online/find a long term resolution), but I have active projects I am rushing to finish in Sonar Platinum that I have no idea how to archive since I'm unsure as to whether or not I will ever have a way to activate it in 3-4 years on a different computer.

That is the crux of the biscuit here - CbB is almost the same, but it's not. Whatever small differences there are, I wish I'd had the copy of Sonar 6 I used to record material I'm remixing right now because it sounds different due to missing plugins that Platinum does not have, but Sonar 6 did. If I had it, I'd have opened it up, printed the plugins, then imported it into Sonar, or even just used Sonar 6.

I'm willing to wait and reserve judgement, but for some people at some point this will be an issue - do we or do we not get a copy of Platinum that we can still use the same way that older versions of Sonar could, and can as far as I understand, be used. I bought into Sonar Platinum despite reservations with the activation server for Command Center for this very reason, but believed it was such a long shot situation that it was worth the risk. I find I was wrong about that risk, and this has pragmatic concerns for how I have to archive a large amount of material.

If CbB changes enough, old projects made in Sonar Platinum will not sound the same in CbB for future reference. There's no guarantee it will. I don't know what to do at the moment and I'm just focusing on finishing things up, but whether or not the unlock for Platinum so I can move it to a new computer and fix a stupid mistake I made in the EQ on a project I saved, with the original program, is something that will need to be faced at some point, especially when one can't predict the future to see what features will change - the best solution is always 'use the original program you saved it in.'

Essentially, it is looking like that won't be a viable option. I have no idea how to archive to future proof it without access to the program I saved the CWB in, if I won't have access to Sonar Platinum at some point due to the activation servers going offline. Transitioning over to CbB is a given, but this seems at odds with how Cakewalk has historically done things (I say this knowing Cakewalk is gone), and it looks like Sonar Platinum is the only Sonar program that will be unavailable for future activation on a different machine to pull up archived projects, even if it IS to then pull them into Cakewalk by Bandlab.

I don't seem to be the only one with this question, and I understand the answer is patience to find out, but the answer can't be 'transition your new projects into an early release' of a completely different program, however similar it is to Sonar Platinum. The full IP of Sonar Platinum was not transferred to CbB, so once a more final version is released, it is difficult to tell how projects being finished now will be accessed in the future without the original program.

I am grateful Bandlab has kept the servers active for Sonar Platinum, but I am many projects deep right now that I can't simply switch over, and will be finished in Sonar Platinum. How I archive them for future retrieval if I ever need them so they pull up properly without Sonar Platinum is a looming question that isn't answered by 'start using CbB'.

I say all this with the utmost respect, but it is a practical concern that gives me a migraine to think about if I have to print every track with and without effects, EQ, all the things that would pull up automatically in the now fossilized Sonar Platinum in 4 years if I need to pull it up again.

It's not unreasonable to want to use the original program you created a project in to pull it back up, however obsolete it may be. I don't care that I paid for Platinum and the new one is free, but I did invest $400 into lifetime updates with Sonar Platinum, and there is a very real scenario I won't be able to use it in the future just to pull up archived projects. CbB won't, and by virtue of not having the same IP, can't be, the same. I know it's a small objection, but I honestly don't know how to save projects for future use and ensure I will get the same sound if I'm switching programs when I pull up the new one, and I know from experience.

Great as CbB may be, it isn't Sonar Platinum, and my old projects probably won't pull up the same. I'm not pressing for a firm answer as I know Bandlab is doing its best right now, but an answer of 'switch to CbB' doesn't answer what will happen when the activation servers go down. I don't know how to store these projects, since even switching to CbB will be using aspects of Sonar Platinum that may not transfer. There's no way to really know.

I don't think I'm alone in thinking that when I paid for Sonar Platinum, I was paying for the ability to use the program on a different machine in 5 years to pull up projects I saved in that format, even if it is to transfer it to a newer version. Looking back at software, it's been that way. Things went sideways, I understand, but even an answer of 'no, that won't happen, you won't be able to use Sonar Platinum after the activation servers go down', while disappointing, at least gives us an answer of how to archive projects.

It's been made clear that only part of CbB is Sonar Platinum - the necessary corollary is that opening projects archived as a CWB in CbB won't pull up as if it were Sonar Platinum. This forces the question of will we have an unlock for Sonar Platinum which I don't want to ask.

I appreciate all the work you've put in and Bandlab for keeping this product alive in some form, and I hate to be a stick in the mud, but this is one of the 'very little reason' that actually isn't a little one. Please understand I'm not complaining, but just trying to bring up a practical issue that is looming on the horizon. My understanding is, and please someone correct me if I'm wrong, is if I'd had Sonar 6-X3, I'd also have the ability to reinstall it, reauthorize it without a remote server to connect to on a new computer, and pull up the project in the program I originally saved it in.

Sonar Platinum seems to be the exception to this because of the remote server activation issue. At some point this question will need an answer for people looking to archive. I'm not asking for one now, but please don't overlook the issue that some users, myself being one of them, are trying to figure out. I'm extremely grateful for Meng and everyone who is working on Cakewalk by Bandlab, but it's not the same program. Whether or not I like the answer is beside the point, but in order to pull up the projects properly, I need Sonar Platinum that can be used in the future without dealing with activation servers. How I archive depends on whether or not I will have that.

Again, thank you for all your hard work, I only hope you can understand my question is not intended to provoke any argument, but just to reiterate what I have heard for a while now - Bandlab didn't get the full IP. It's not going to be the same program. Projects saved in one program don't always pull up the same in another program 4-5 years later - I don't know what to do if I don't have an activated version of Sonar Platinum I can use in the future to open the projects, or how to save them so they'll not lose anything/sound different for anything that is unique to Sonar Platinum. Whether or not I like the answer will be irrelevant, I don't mean to beat that dead horse, but it will determine what I need to do with many, many projects I am going to be finishing in Sonar Platinum.

I hope that makes sense. I will be transitioning over, I just can't do it yet, nor is CbB ready yet for a transition for all my working projects, many of which took extra time to get the things that didn't transition over from an earlier version of Cakewalk Sonar properly fixed. In a few weeks I'll be ready to archive a project and I have no idea if I should do it by assuming I will have a functioning copy of Sonar Platinum that will be able to reopen it if need be in 3-4 years from now when it's an obsolete program. Preparing for the worst case scenario is going to be a ton of work if I have to print every track with FX on every mix and the final master, if I won't be able to rely on using the program I saved it in to pull it back up.

jclampitt
  • Total Posts : 14
Re: Future of activation of pre-bandlab versions? 2018/04/08 04:30:53 (permalink)
I get what you are saying ch.huey, but honestly, this is what we get for using software requiring this type of online activation. This right here is the problem with that way of doing things. If the company goes under or your internet goes out you're F****d and that's the end of it. We are lucky that the ability to activate and use Sonar didn't end back in November. And we are even more lucky that Bandlab bought Sonar and it's not completely dead at this point. But still, it just goes to show it's a bad idea to buy and depend any software that doesn't come on a disc with everything required to activate it offline. At least if you expect to be able to open a project and work on it in 10 years. Bandlab has done an amazingly generous thing by making this software free, instead of just letting it die, or charging us for the new version. I guess my point is live and learn, and don't pay for software that doesn't come on a disc with an activation key if you plan on using it indefinitely. It sucks but it is what it is.
chris.r
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 206
Re: Future of activation of pre-bandlab versions? 2018/04/08 12:34:04 (permalink)
jclampitt
I get what you are saying ch.huey, but honestly, this is what we get for using software requiring this type of online activation. This right here is the problem with that way of doing things. If the company goes under or your internet goes out you're F****d and that's the end of it. We are lucky that the ability to activate and use Sonar didn't end back in November. And we are even more lucky that Bandlab bought Sonar and it's not completely dead at this point. But still, it just goes to show it's a bad idea to buy and depend any software that doesn't come on a disc with everything required to activate it offline. At least if you expect to be able to open a project and work on it in 10 years. Bandlab has done an amazingly generous thing by making this software free, instead of just letting it die, or charging us for the new version. I guess my point is live and learn, and don't pay for software that doesn't come on a disc with an activation key if you plan on using it indefinitely. It sucks but it is what it is.

Agreed. I bought lifetime updates after checking that SPlat had everything that I need to produce and work on music in one bundle. That was supposed to be a long time decision, what an irony. If I save a project, I want my DAW to be able to open it anytime in the future. CbB can use some extras of my SPlat now, as I have it installed on disk. What if in 10 years I have a different PC and would like to come back to a project that utilizes the drum replacer or some prochannel modules that are not implemented into CbB? Will I be able to activate my SPlat bundle again, in 10 years? If not, I would have to consider a DAW switch, I liked Sonar and the bundled software though very much.
ionecake
  • Total Posts : 34
Re: Future of activation of pre-bandlab versions? 2018/04/08 13:18:01 (permalink)
chris.r

If I save a project, I want my DAW to be able to open it anytime in the future. CbB can use some extras of my SPlat now, as I have it installed on disk. What if in 10 years I have a different PC and would like to come back to a project that utilizes the drum replacer or some prochannel modules that are not implemented into CbB? Will I be able to activate my SPlat bundle again, in 10 years? If not, I would have to consider a DAW switch, I liked Sonar and the bundled software though very much.

I agree that long-term compatibility/stability is important, but 10 years is asking a lot from anything in the technology market like this. While I'm with you to request a long-term solution, I'd also suggest that you come up with a plan B to export your special projects to a more "universal" archival format. Perhaps rendered stems and MIDI export, plus also make a clone of your hard drive(s) with the OS/system/DAW configuration that loads this generation of projects for you if you think it will be critical in the future. I used to keep images of older DAW configs for emergencies, but stopped doing that due to the hassle. But it is possible to retain a longer-term whole-system backup if you plan well.

Given that BandLab did NOT buy Cakewalk, Inc., but rather just rescued the IP, at some point they may not be able to help you with old activations like that. Worth coming up with a plan of some kind.

And BTW, this is not exclusive to Cakewalk issues... many developers get bought out or go out of business, not to mention the steady march of "progress" with OS, plugin standards, etc... and I've been hit with this over the years many times. I now tend to just rely on stems and rebuild from there if I have to.

The good news is that Cakewalk, as an old industry veteran as you know, has had a pretty decent track record of at least file compatibility over the years, so you're likely in better shape with Cakewalk than with many other DAWs. But plugins, etc., are going to be tricky no matter the DAW.
Steve_Karl
Re: Future of activation of pre-bandlab versions? 2018/04/08 13:48:28 (permalink)
Mosvalve

And at this point in time, CbB is a downgrade for me compared to SPLAT 2017.01.

Steve Karl
SPLAT 2017.01
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Future of activation of pre-bandlab versions? 2018/04/08 14:35:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby karhide 2018/04/08 14:56:58
"Great as CbB may be, it isn't Sonar Platinum, and my old projects probably won't pull up the same."

This has not been my experience. Backward compatibility has always been a Cakewalk strength.

Unfortunately, I don't have any super-old projects to test, as they were all lost in a robbery. But before that tragedy, I had projects going back to Cakewalk 1.0 for DOS and they all loaded up fine in every subsequent version of SONAR. I had many projects that were started under SONAR 5, the era where I first started going gung ho with SONAR. Some of those were finished years later in SONAR 8.5, a few were even revived under Platinum. The only issues I've ever had were unrelated to the core SONAR application - all were plugin issues (old versions no longer installed, libraries or plugins moved to another location).

If you had problems loading a SONAR 6 project in Platinum, it was almost certainly because you were missing some third-party plugins that had been used in the original project.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Cakewalk Staff
Re: Future of activation of pre-bandlab versions? 2018/04/08 15:53:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ionecake 2018/04/08 16:17:47
As bitflipper mentions. we support all prior versions of the software dating all the way back to the 90's. You can even save projects in the new version and reopen it in versions going back 10 years and it will work. New features will be stripped obviously.
How projects sound could change to some extent due to a variety of factors, plugins, etc in some circumstances but its rare. Plugin's are the most common element that makes compatibility hard. The best way to preserve projects for long term hibernation is to additionally freeze the tracks and render final stems into the project as a backup. Then save the file and archive it. I've found that to be more than enough to recover even really old projects.

Noel Borthwick
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1