GMMDI - F/ Alan Keillor & Sophie Beraud (update)

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
foxwolfen
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8256
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (Vocal Scratch Track) 2009/08/24 17:21:46 (permalink)
Thanks Gary. No, I have come to ensure that I have no expectations as things never end up like they started.

I have uploaded a vocal scratch track. Please go easy on me. I am not a great singer and it shows.

Cheers
Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
dlogan
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2544
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (Vocal Scratch Track) 2009/08/24 17:54:17 (permalink)
If they're so bad why would we be nice???   Actually, they're not bad. I can sort of imagine this song as part of a musical. I can see it working in that context better than say... just had my iPod on shuffle and this song came up, if you know what I mean? The delay on the vocals do make them hard to understand. You might want to play around with the settings on the delay to apply a HPF so the delay is only on the higher frequencies - I've found that helps keep the vocals more articulate with heavy delay when you're not applying delay to the low and mid tones.
jamesyoyo
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3460
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (Vocal Scratch Track) 2009/08/24 18:30:57 (permalink)
This is coming along quite cool. I dig where it is going, some sort of meditation piece.

One thing I would suggest is get some sort of musical hook after the verses somewhere, just to change things up a bit.  And when you re-do the vocals, use less effects and more attitude in your voice. It is a fine instrument, certainly much better in tone and timbre to my own.
blipp
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7006
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (Vocal Scratch Track) 2009/08/24 19:19:51 (permalink)
Your vocals don't sound too bad Shad, they work well within the context of this track anyway.  Your voice sounds a bit gothic, ala Pete Murphey.

PS: Check your email.

post edited by blipp - 2009/08/24 19:21:58
Freddy J
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2348
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (Vocal Scratch Track) 2009/08/24 20:16:27 (permalink)
I am really impressed with the response to your post and song.  I am further impressed by the great dialogue that is occurring.  I think that you have the respect and attention of this forum.

As usual, I am impressed by the creativity and care that you give to a song.  This is a different song (please take that as very much a complement) and a very creative one.  I think that I am in agreement with Dave.  I like the vocals.  To me, this is a very reflective song.  The hesitating (I am not sure that this is the word that I am looking for) sounds of the instrumentation and the delivery of the vocals, to me, very much complement the lyrics and the overall feel of the song.

Freddy J
Mamabear
  • Total Posts : 8954
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (Vocal Scratch Track) 2009/08/24 21:18:24 (permalink)
Quitcher belly-achin' about not being able to sing. :-)

This is quite interesting!  I agree--you may not need to drown your vocals in delay as it makes it all the harder to understand.  Really nice piano work too! 
foxwolfen
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (Vocal Scratch Track) 2009/08/25 01:39:08 (permalink)
Dave - Thank you. The delay is sometimes due to my really ppor doubling vocal skills, which really amplifies the effect. When I am doing it right, its actually quite subtle. However that happens less often than doing it wrong at the moment.

John - A bit gothic indeed. This could be right out of Bauhaus (and by extension Peter Murphy). Oh well. hehehe.

Freddy - Your words are most kind and I thank you for them.

Janet - I will get them tamed, I promise.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
rolifer@verizon.net
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1676
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/08/25 02:45:26 (permalink)
Shad

Wow

This was a surprise when you threw in the vox. I listened a few times the other day and didn't expect any vox for a while.

You hide the vox well, so no one can complain.

Neat piece!!!!

Ron
notnat
Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5236
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/08/25 11:58:28 (permalink)
"Shad, the Mad" Way to go... Very interesting effect on the vox... Everything sounds great to me on this... Lyrics seem a little PC for me... Bill Maher would love this...
Overall this piece is extreamly creative... I'm looking forward to more Shadow Vocals in the future...
foxwolfen
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/08/25 12:55:47 (permalink)
James - Attitude eh? I will try. I am wondering if I should try to sound more introspective or more uncaring? Thanks for the compliment on my voice. I do not like it, but I have never heard myself like this before so that will take some getting used to.

I have to agree with Dave that this song deserves a larger context in its current form. It is part of TOMM, so I will include that this as part of the story. I should point out too, that when I first decided to start this song, a showtune was in mind (hence the Gershwin). I actually heard Murray Head (the original Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar and sings the title song) singing this in my mind when I was working it out.

Frank - Thank you . I must admit, I kinda enjoy singing. I pity the world. I had no idea who I would sound like and I find I sound like an odd blend of Peter Murphy (as John pointed out), Greg Lake in the low registers, and Brian Wilson and Steve Miller in the mid.

I need to stop cringing when I hear this, my face and teeth are getting sore.

Composers Forum
jamesyoyo
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/08/25 14:39:07 (permalink)
Shad"

Introspective is fine. Uncaring is fine as well. Those are both attitudes.

Get what I'm sayin'?
geeare1
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1906
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/08/25 21:43:07 (permalink)
Shad,

Man, I love this.  Your voice sounds fine.  I know it's just a scratch vocal but my only suggestion is bring it up. You've got nothing to hide there.  But, what really stands out to my ears is the way it flows...it isn't locked in to a click track (I don't think it is, anyway). Very cool.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
alkie
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2706
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/08/25 22:59:34 (permalink)
you guy`s are all in for a shock shortly ... when shad reposts this in the next little while ... but i won`t let the cat out of the bag or spill the beans or tell anyone God made me do it.

Whoa.... to you ...oh...earth and sea...
for the devil sends the beast with wrath.....
because he knows the time is short.....
let him who hath understanding.....
reckon the number of the beast.....
for it is a human number...
it`s number is.....

So if JESUS rose from the DEAD
Does that mean he`s the ORIGINAL ZOMBIE?
foxwolfen
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/08/26 14:24:00 (permalink)
I have to agree, I think there is a nice surprise waiting.

Thanks again Gary. I am glad its not as bad as i think it is. (I kinda woke up depressed with this this morning... I really do not like the way I sound. I cannot seem to sharpen the tone at all). Gosh, I really enjoy singing, but I sound like poo poo.

There was one moment in the latest takes where I almost sounded like I think I should sound like, but it was only a moment.

Composers Forum
foxwolfen
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/08/26 22:25:55 (permalink)
Shameless bump due to Alan's new vox.

Composers Forum
Mamabear
  • Total Posts : 8954
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/08/26 22:31:56 (permalink)
Wow--that's really cool how Alan's learned this and sung it like it's his own.  Great job!  
No How
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5180
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/08/26 22:55:47 (permalink)
Shad,

I am late getting on board but i find it intriguing, as all of your work.  Alan's singing is good to my ears.  i missed the other version.
The simple warm piano would definately open up room for the wide dissonant melodic phrases to safely wander.  Some low wide but quiet pads might also add some of your
psychological tension...as i understand your lyric.

Ed is right on with his notes on these kind of lyrics being tricky to interpret as they are very personal and come from an inner kind of place where outer ears hear them not always as they were INtended.

I'll be watching this blossom.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
foxwolfen
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/08/27 14:18:11 (permalink)
Thanks Janet. :)

Rick - I am actually going to be simplifying this. As it is part of TOMM, it needs to reflect the lonesome and hollow, almost empty feeling that the story is trying to provide. I will be stripping out most of the piano that accompanies the vocals other then the punctuation chords, and enveloping the bells a bit more. Ultimately the only thing driving the melody will be the voices, and the back will be carried by the "strings" and effects.

I am also going to resing some parts to day as they are off key and ugly.

Composers Forum
dlogan
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2544
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/08/27 14:27:23 (permalink)
I like this version - I liked it before too. Not sure one is better than the other - just different! It's cool to hear Alan sing an original. As far as not being able to understand all of the lyrics or what is meant by all of them - I don't think it's necessarily important on this song. I think it gets the point across of being introspective, struggling and being confused and torn with these issues. Something many people can relate to. And the music fits that emotional state nicely...
foxwolfen
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/08/27 14:59:51 (permalink)
Heh - meaning is of course pretty much based on each persons subjective interpretation of the themes. I can give you the context though, which might help guide listeners.

Originally the lyrics were a concise triad based on the overall theme of a University course I took about the history of religion. It looked at certain events from religious doctrine through a filter that removed "God made me do it" from the equation. It also tried to encourage us to view them from the other point of view (like how did the Philistines view the Canaanites?).

What would we actually think of David if "God did not make him do it"? Moses? Noah? Mohamed? Jesus? John? Paul? Peter is interesting to look at.

So, each verse looked at each of the three major religions in that way. Not flattering, casting a spot light on the hypocrisy of all of it.

It evolved from that into more of a tune inline with the themes that I am exploring in the story "The Old Man's Machine", which is also an introspective look into the nature of religion, told in a fictional adventure.

This song is now part of the story of one of the characters we have already met as it suits his roll perfectly.

I should point out, I did not intend to write something critical of religion. For all I know it was triggered by something subliminal, like something on the TV. I feel no particular angst about religion, though I do have issues with those who wear it like a badge of honor. I do have a pragmatic view of it, and believe religion is something we will eventually outgrow (spirituality and faith being entirely different concepts).

Composers Forum
jamesyoyo
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/08/27 16:10:12 (permalink)
I surely don't take this as critical of religion. It is critical of man. There is no issue with religion: we all have a problem with organized religion. And that organized part, whether it be a church, school, government or corporation, all suffer from the same infection: man and his ego.

Philosophy aside: one idea I would take a look into is to take the melody away from being tied to the keyboard line. I realize that for this early stage it is a must, but it might be interesting to take the line and offset it from the vocal melody, either answering it or putting it a measure in front or behind the vocals.
foxwolfen
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/08/27 16:22:42 (permalink)
jamesyoyo

I surely don't take this as critical of religion. It is critical of man. There is no issue with religion: we all have a problem with organized religion. And that organized part, whether it be a church, school, government or corporation, all suffer from the same infection: man and his ego.

Philosophy aside: one idea I would take a look into is to take the melody away from being tied to the keyboard line. I realize that for this early stage it is a must, but it might be interesting to take the line and offset it from the vocal melody, either answering it or putting it a measure in front or behind the vocals.

You are bang on the money. Sophie said yesterday, half joking, that I was making her sing a song critical of God. I said it had nothing to do with God, it was about man.

WRT the melody, I am taking the piano part out (except for the lower chord hits and the stand alone instrumental parts, so the melody should stand alone. I hear what you are saying about having a counterpoint, but that is actually beyond my abilities at this point. I could not even come up with a bassline for this. If you have an idea, toss me a sample of what you mean and I will try to do it.

Composers Forum
Alegria
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2075
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/08/27 17:11:15 (permalink)
I'm still lurking you know.

Gregorian chants...

blipp
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/08/27 17:25:09 (permalink)
This is coming along very nicely indeed, i'm most impressed by everyone's vocal performance and the music i already liked a lot. 

Shad, i've been meaning to do a cover version for a long time, but never got around to it. i think you're pete Murphy style vocals would be perfect for it.  
foxwolfen
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/08/27 17:33:35 (permalink)
JC - Gregorian Chants eh? Now there is an idea.

John.... I am hoping you will say you want to do "Strange Kind of love". However, I will try to sing whatever you like. Or another one I wanted to try was A Ha's "October" (from scoundrel days).
post edited by foxwolfen - 2009/08/27 17:35:40

Composers Forum
blipp
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/08/27 17:55:34 (permalink)
foxwolfen

John.... I am hoping you will say you want to do "Strange Kind of love". However, I will try to sing whatever you like. Or another one I wanted to try was A Ha's "October" (from scoundrel days).

No it's none of those im afraid.  I'll record the first few bars of the opening riff ot the track on my guitar and email it to you. I think  you'll guess what it is straight away. 

evadianepug
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4477
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/08/27 18:18:44 (permalink)
Well, Shad, you got the right guy to sing this!  When I saw Alan's name on here I knew before I heard it that it was going to be great.  It is!   Alan has a great vox for this.  It doesn't seem that he is too far out front.  I'm listening on Klipsch spkrs with a subwoofer.  It's more of the sound I get through my autos and home stereo.  Great tune.  Made me sit and listen.  I'm on the third go through. 

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
THE PUGTONES
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
SonarX3
foxwolfen
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/08/29 02:44:02 (permalink)
Thanks Warren. I think Alan brought a unique quality to this song. I have been surprised by the reaction to it. I honestly thought the boys in TDN would hate it (tis pretty far from their style). I let Adrian hear it and he quietly looked at me and said he liked it.

I waiver from loving to hating this song. There are times I go "wow, thats me?" and other times I go "ugh, thats me @#$%!!.

Composers Forum
geeare1
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1906
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/08/29 09:20:15 (permalink)
Shad,

This is really cool in several ways. First there's the forum community's input with lyrics, then there was the music (that I had no idea how you were going to make the lyrics fit), then there was your first vocal and now Alan.  I really like the song and, while Alan always sounds great, it's nice to hear him singing an original tune.  Great job Mr. Alkie.  Very nice.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
Tombo
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 988
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/08/29 23:18:33 (permalink)
Personally, I like the "art" of this effort. My experience of it, is that it is deceptively restrained in expression, while masking some (could be) intense frustration (idealism vs. reality?).  That part of stayed with me after the listen. There are a couple of background vocal timing stumbles easy enough fix with today's software. The lyric advice was fine tweaking and serves, but I would also suggest that the delivery + mood provides some forgiveness for word choice. Nice work.

Broadjam.com*SoundClick

'It ain't what people don't know that hurts them, it's what they know that ain't so." -Josh Billings
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1