GMMDI - F/ Alan Keillor & Sophie Beraud (update)

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/08/30 02:53:12 (permalink)
Hi, Shad,

I've been away a few weeks and I'm glad I checked back in to find this little gem!  This is a really clever and very cool "concept piece" that fits like a glove into "The Old Man's Machine".

The instrument textures sound very atmospheric and ethereal, and the vox add a nice dramatic flair with an almost Pink Floyd style feel to the overall theme of the piece.

Nice work by everyone!
Bob
Alegria
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2075
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/08/30 10:32:57 (permalink)
That ... hand ... is smiling at me.

Quite the vibe you've got going here Shad. Vocals really add depth. Your singning is fine btw . My previous note about "Gregorian chants" was intended as an effect, an added layer in certain locations that would represent the church (as an institution). The association would be strong imho.

I'm still lurking...
darylcrowley
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2700
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/08/31 17:10:17 (permalink)
I liked the lyric concept, I don't think the meter matter that much with this tune.  Sort of David Bowieish.  Nice synth!

Daryl Crowley
Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
Windows 7 64bit Professional
Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
http://www.darylcrowley.com/
foxwolfen
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8256
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/09/01 12:43:58 (permalink)
Gary - Yeah, I think the input was invaluable. I have a whole ne appreciation for the difficulty in writing lyrics that work musically. It is interested how the word sound changes the music even if the tone is the same.

Because I am an audiophile (I love sound) I have spent my life paying attention to the mixes and recording of songs, and never the lyrics (I too thought "Revved up like a deuce" was "Rubbing up a douche" like everybody else LOL). I think my song was the first song I ever memorized the complete lyrics too.

Mark - Thank you. Right now, art is about all I have heheh. But skills are being learned rapidly so hopefully some of the technicals will start to shine through.

Yes, intense frustration with the theme at question is underlying the song, and yes it is very restrained. I am not trying to offend anybody with my work. I also know that crazy people exist - I once wrote a letter to the editor of our newspaper here after the assassination of Bhutto.. believe it or not I actually got death threats on my answering machine after that. So I am a little more careful about what I say these days, but you can see where my frustration with this song came in (by the way they were Christians that made the threats).

Recently I also saw a group of crazies protesting against somebody - Christians that were holding up signs which read "God hates you"... sick.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
foxwolfen
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/09/01 12:52:11 (permalink)
Thanks Bob. Great words of encouragement. I am, I will admit, quite a bit more appreciative of the difficulties that singers face with music after that song.

JC - LOL. Creepy image eh?

WRT Gregorian Chants - I thought I would see what I could come up with in the way of harmony that would fit with a chant style harmony. I decided to try a go at some beech boys style harmony and recorded an a capella version of "In My Room".

I can tell you right now, that recording will never see the light of day. Oh my god is it bad.

So... I need to look at it a bit more formally and recognize that I will have to write each voice part separately and sing them with out accomianment or I will never be able to pull it off.

Practice and more practice is required (but I can already feel my voice loosening up). I think the chants might just be what the doctor ordered.

Daryl - Thank you for the listen. There is no meter in this tune LOL. I promise from now on I will use a click track.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
notnat
Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5236
Re:GMMDI - F/ Alan Keillor & Sophie Beraud (update) 2009/09/01 12:58:51 (permalink)
I thought Alan did an excellent vocal track...
It's very theatrical sounding... Nathan Lane ish...
I like it... 
Legion
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1986
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/09/02 10:58:53 (permalink)
Sounds cool to me, mix was good and the tune reminded me of the old Jesus Christ Superstar-movie in some way. Liked it

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
foxwolfen
Re:TOMM - God Made Me Do It (New Lyrics) 2009/09/02 20:41:09 (permalink)
Frank - Nathan Lane... I need to go look him up. Thanks for the listen (edit - oh yeah... loved him in the Birdcage - have not seen The Producers).

Legion - Yeah, me too. That soundtrack was the first thing that came to mind after I laid down melody. It was supposed to be Gershwin meets Sati like, but became a bit more Tim Rice heheh.

I think Alan has a fantastic theater voice. I dunno if he has ever done any, but I think he should go to his local theater co and volunteer for some musicals. He has projection and drama to die for.
post edited by foxwolfen - 2009/09/02 20:42:54

Composers Forum
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1