Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
2011/10/05 03:34:33 (permalink)

"Getaway" (Rock)

Hey, Guys and Gals,

I've been super busy the last few weeks, but I finally had a little bit of time to get in the studio and work on a new song and this is what I ended up with.

Please give it a listen if you can, and let me know what you think.  As always, any and all helpful comments, suggestions, constructive criticism, input and ideas are welcome, and also greatly appreciated!

"Getaway"

128kbps MP3 on SoundClick at: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11108074

or...

Slightly Better Quality MP3, First Song on the Player at: www.BobOister.com  

Many t
hanks in advance for your opinions, suggestions, comments and ideas!

Bob

34 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/05 08:46:29 (permalink)
    I like it Bob.... the one thing that stuck out to me was the drums sounded a bit too much up front. Especially in the beginning. 

I got a "feeling".... that the drums track were ever so slightly off the beat in a few places..... not very obvious, that's why I said it was more of a feeling....as opposed to saying that... hey there it is... know what I mean. Others might not even notice or get that feeling that I got.  

oops... 3:55  fix that!

Guitars sound good as does the vox. As always a good job from your studio. 

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/10/05 08:47:30

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/05 09:03:17 (permalink)
    Hey Bob!
    Sounding good, ol' buddy! Is your middle name Dokken?

String Jammer
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/05 16:32:43 (permalink)
    Nice work Bob! Kind of like Boston meets Foghat.

I see what the 2nd response is saying. I think it's that sometimes the guitars don't always chord on the beat. While the sound want's to go there, I think it's the drums not accenting with them.

Very cool stuff and great vox!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    Scoobie
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 263
    Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/05 18:00:22 (permalink)
    Love your music Bob.....  You always have a great vocal performance.
     You got that 80's rock sound to me.............  :)

I don't have any criticism on your mix,   It sounded great here !
    But I have a question........... What do you use for your drums?
    It sounds to me you are using roland v-drums,  just curious.

Tim

Outback Remote Recording,  16 or 24 track mobile rig.
    whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/05 18:32:25 (permalink)
    Bob this is great, dont listen to this stuff too often. its full of energy, plenty of catchy hook lyrics and the mix as usual pretty spot on for me. 

I too would like to know what you use for drums.

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/05 19:18:20 (permalink)
    Rock on Bob!
    lespaul678
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 121
    Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/05 19:57:04 (permalink)
    Sounds good Bob, one of the things that stuck out to me that I would change though is the lead guitar towards the end of the song, I would drop it about 3-5 dB, I found it a bit to dominating. Great stuff though, It has a great rock vibe to it.

Check out my song and but it if you like it! http://itunes.apple.com/u...ure-single/id434903136
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/06 14:32:27 (permalink)
    Bob,

You can usually do no wrong...........

And you have done no wrong again.
    Loved it.
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/06 15:12:12 (permalink)
    Other  than my usual nits with the drums (!), another terrific Oister tune.

Please lower the kick! It just doesn't work in this genre,
    spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/06 22:08:20 (permalink)
    Seems trebly ended while the bass is just deep but something wrong. Just doesn't come out for me. Otherwise singing is loud enough and it is close for my speakers but then my speakers are not the best either so with a grain of salt.

mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/07 06:37:58 (permalink)
    Love this, reminds me of an 80s Japanese band called Vow-Wow...nice chords in the chorus. agree drums are a little forward, and a bit awkward at times - around 2'50 - 3'05 for example, and again at 3'39 under the solo. you have that chorused/delayed guitar sound down perfectly! lead is a touch loud too.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    bandontherun19
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/08 01:29:12 (permalink)
    Hey there Bob, I "just" walked in the door after being out on business all week... Whew, long week and a looooong day! This was 1st on the list :-) This is classic Oisterizer... So this song can be summed up as, hit it, split it, and quit it?

All you need is love, just ask the Beatles?
    ----------
    Bob Oister
    Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/08 18:11:42 (permalink)
    Mix #2 10/8

Hi, Guys,

Thanks everyone for your input so far.  I used everyone's advice and observations for these changes on this second mix.

I dropped the drum bus by 2dbs and lowered the kick drum a bit, as James suggested.  I also reigned in and cleaned up some of the drum fills where people pointed out problems.  I'm hoping the bass guitar isn't "sticking out" too much after lowering the drums.

I touched up a spot in the BGVs that I just realized bothered me a bit, and lowered the first guitar solo 2dbs and the second guitar solo by 3dbs.

If you get a chance, please let me know what you think about the general volume levels of the main elements of the mix.  I'm still not quite sure if I'm missing something obvious on this one.

Thanks again to everybody, your comments, input, advice and observations are what makes this forum such a great place, and I truly appreciate everybody who took time to listen and comment!

Best wishes for a great weekend!

Bob
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/09 13:40:06 (permalink)
    Great stuff again.  Bob fantastic stuff!!!!

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

theguitarplayer
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3523
    Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/09 18:01:47 (permalink)
    Bob, Great jam with a great sound. Awesome vocals and lyrics, Loved the change up toward the end. Very nicely done. Enjoyed!!

Blessings, John

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/09 22:20:02 (permalink)
    There's that vox again with more of its excellent candy (delay and centered with its own sweet spot of effects)

... even while the guitars are less-verbed on the outside. You've given the vox a wonderful place in the mix, IMHO.

(On my Adams)

3:15 middle is a perfect touch ... allowing the vox to jump around the pan-field a bit before the last verse.

Totally awesome rock performances, mix, song, hook, and rhythm (to my ears) without hypersaturation issues ... and no negs that I can detect.

10/10 on many levels, but primarily within the rock genre excellence.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Bob Oister
    Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/10 18:46:59 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker:

Hey, Herb

Thanks, buddy, I really appreciate and value your input and opinion highly.

As per your suggestion, I dropped the drum bus by 2dbs and lowered the kick drum a bit, and I also reigned in and cleaned up some of the drum fills.  Hopefully, it's getting there.

Thanks again, Herb, have a good one!
    Bob
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scottytunes:

Hi, Scotty,

Thanks very much, kind sir, for the listen and encouraging comments!  Especially the great compliment about Dokken, because they're definitely one of my top 3 favorite 80's bands, and I've seen them in concert probably about a dozen or so times.  I always loved Don's melodic vocals, and George Lynch was always one of the top "tasteful" shredders ever.

Thanks, Scott, have a great night!
    Bob
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guitarpima:

Hey,

Thank you very much for giving this a listen, and also for the very kind words!  I really appreciate the Boston/Foghat comment, two of my 70's favorites and a major influence songwriting and playing wise. I did a lot of their songs in my cover bands over the years,

Yep, I'm always kind of struggling with producing my drum tracks.  I always try to play the main sections of the song fairly simply, and keep them basic.  It seems my trouble starts when it comes time for the transitions and drum and cymbal fills while trying to tie the sections together.  Hopefully, with more experimentation and practice, my drum tracks will start to improve.

Thanks again, I really appreciate you taking time to listen and comment, it means a lot to me,  Have a good one!
    Bob
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/10 20:11:04 (permalink)
    Ah Bob, you never fail to please.  Another terrific, rockin' number.  Excellent guitar work and the vocals are fantastic.  No nits from me.  Terrific stuff!!!

Freddy J
    radio
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/11 09:49:08 (permalink)

Hi Bob , just finished reinstalling my Windows XP along with all my music software and flightsim software .
    Hey I really like all your songs but this one really shines , great vocals , great guitar playing and the mix sounds really good in my speakers .

Nice work on this song Bob !

Radio

Bob Oister
    Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/11 21:18:38 (permalink)
    Scoobie:

Hey, Tim,

How's it goin', buddy?  Hope you're doing great!

Thanks for checking this song out for me, and for your encouraging words!  It means a lot to me that you take time to listen and comment on my stuff.

The drums are always a huge challenge for me, because I'm not really a drummer.  So, most times I just try to keep a fairly simple, steady beat on either my Yamaha drum pads or my M-Audio KeyRig, and then add in the fills and cymbal crashes and I use Steven Slate Drums for the drum sounds.  Not being an actual drummer, I think I have to improve my thinking for the fills and transitions in the future.  Tying the sections together is where I seem to run into trouble.  But hey, it sure beats having to drag in one of my former cover band drummers and their 17 piece drum sets! LOL!  Especially when I mainly get to work in my studio at 3 or 4 in the morning!  

Thanks again, Tim, I really appreciate and value your input highly.  It's great sound techs like you, standing a hundred feet from the stage that made guys like me sound good for a lot of years out on the road!

Have a good one!
    Bob
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

whack:

Hey, Cian,

Thank you very much for giving this one a listen for me, and for your kind words!

As for the drums, I play the parts on either Yamaha drum pads, or my my M-Audio KeyRig and then use Steven Slate Drums for the drum kit sounds.  I also have Session Drummer, Ez-Drummer, Kitcore Deluxe and Ocean Way Drums, but I really love the kits from Steven Slate because they usually don't require a ton of tweaking after the fact.

By the way, your "Citizen of the Cosmos" video was absolutely fantastic, great performances by you, and cool video elements, really amazing stuff!  It inspired me to start learning a bit about video work, and I'm hoping to actually try one in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again, Cian, have a great night, my friend!
    Bob
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thatsastrat:

Hey, Bruce,

How are you, buddy?  Doing well, I hope!

Thanks for checking this one out for me, and for commenting. I always look forward to your input, and I really appreciate it.

Have a great night!
    Bob
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lespaul678:

Hey, thanks man, I really appreciate you taking time to listen and comment!

On this second mix, I took your advice and lowered the second guitar solo by 3dB, and I think it's back in the ball park now.

Thanks for your kind words and your input and observations, it's greatly appreciated. Have a great night!
    Bob
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/13 13:43:42 (permalink)
    Hi Bob , another one that rocks. Excellent vocals and guitars, all of them. Ending is a bit abrupt, maybe ?. Love the change at 3 minutes, that modern low rhythm guitar sounds massive.

Rik
    Bob Oister
    Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/13 21:04:46 (permalink)
    bapu:

Hey, Ed,

Thank you kindly, sir!  It's always great to hear from you, and I really appreciate your feedback, especially because of your excellent production skills on your own stuff, which is always top notch!

Thanks again, buddy, have a great night!
    Bob

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jamesyoyo:

Hi, James,

How's it going?  Doing great, I hope!

Thanks for checking in on this one for me and for your nice comment!

As per your advice, I backed the kick drum off a bit and also dropped the entire drum bus by 2dB.  I'm hoping it's not making the bass stick out too much now.  Do you think that the overall volume levels seem okay at this point?

Thanks again, James, I always look forward to and depend on your input and advice to keep me on my toes.  I've learned a ton from you in the past few years, and I really appreciate all of your help.

Have a good one!
    Bob
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

spacealf:

Hey, spacealf,

Thanks for giving this a listen and for taking time to comment!  I did a little bit of EQ tweaking on this second mix, and hopefully it's sounds better to you.

Thanks again for checking in on this, I appreciate your input and observations.

Have a great night!

Bob
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vechung
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/14 17:27:44 (permalink)
    Awesome! Love the singing. Can't hear the bass very well, maybe turn down the guitars a bit (not easy for us guitar players). A bit of timing issue on the guitars at the intro.

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
    https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
    LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/15 02:54:12 (permalink)
    Bob nobody does party rock n roll like you!  This is full of energy and makes you want to party! 

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/15 11:11:02 (permalink)

Hey there Bob

This is another slice of signature rifftastic Oisterness at its finest buddy

Monster

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Bob Oister
    Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/16 05:30:15 (permalink)
    SeriousNoise:

Hey, Bobby,

Thanks for giving this a listen, and also for your kind words!  I appreciate you checking this one out for me and I'm very glad that you liked it.

Have a good one!
    Bob
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mgh:

Hey, Mark,

How are you, buddy?  Doing great, I hope!

Thanks for giving this a listen and for your encouraging comments and observations.  As per your advice,  I dropped the drum bus by 2dB, and reigned in and cleaned up some of the drum fills that you were kind enough to point out.  I also lowered both of the guitar solos to a more reasonable fit for the mix.  Please let me know if you think any volume levels are still off.

I never heard of Vow-Wow, they sound kind of interesting, I'll have to look them up.

Thanks again, Mark, I greatly appreciate your input and advice, have a great weekend!
    Bob
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bandontherun19:

Yo, Robby,

How are you?  I'm guessing that your trip went well!

Thanks for checking this out for me and for your encouraging words!  Yeah, LOL, your analogy was kind of my philosophy when I was out on the road touring for weeks and weeks at a time back in the 80's.   I think it's the root inspiration for quite a few of my other songs if you listen to the lyrics.

Hey, I just want to add that you did a dynamite job on your latest post, "Jenny Please Don't Cry", the production was extremely pro sounding.  Really classy stuff, my friend!

Thanks again, I appreciate your input and support.
    Bob

Tap:

Hi, James,

How are you, buddy?  Doing well, I hope.  It's really great to see you back on the forum!

Thank you so much for giving this one a listen and for your very kind comments!  I greatly appreciate your input and always value your opinion highly.

Have a great weekend, James!
    Bob

theguitarplayer:

Hi, John,

How are you, my friend?  It's really wonderful to see you back around the forum again!

Thank you very much for checking this song out for me, and also for your very kind words of encouragement!  I'm very grateful that you took time to listen and comment, and I'm happy that you enjoyed it.

Thanks again, John, I really appreciate your input and comments, have a great weekend!
    Bob

Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/16 17:35:42 (permalink)
    You make singing and playing sound so easy.  And you're not a drummer but you did this yourself?  I'm impressed.  

Another great tune that should pick up anyone's day.  :)  
    Bob Oister
    Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/16 20:24:22 (permalink)
    Philip:

Hi, Philip,

How are you, my friend?  Doing well, I hope!

Thank you very much, kind sir, for checking in on this one for me and also for your highly encouraging words!  I'm happy for a 10/10 any old day!

I'm really glad that you noticed and liked my little "center spreading outward" vocal trick before the main guitar solo.  It was a last minute addition that I thought might just add an extra touch of spice to the vocal bridge leading into the guitar solo.

Thanks again, Philip, for your input, observations and support.  I always look forward to your colorful comments and greatly appreciate them.

Have a great night!
    Bob
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FreddyJ:

Hey, Freddy,

Thank you for giving this one a listen and also for your very kind comments!  I greatly appreciate your time and your input.

Have a wonderful evening, my friend!
    Bob
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

radio:

Hi, James,

How are you, buddy?  Doing great, I hope!

Thanks for checking this out for me and for your very nice comments, I'm thankful that you enjoyed it and appreciate you giving it a listen!

Have a great night, James!
    Bob
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

morenoise:

Hello, Rik,

How are you, my friend?  Hope you're doing well!

Thank you very much for checking in on this song for me, and also for your kind words of encouragement!

Yes, you're 100% right about the abrupt ending.  I wasn't quite sure about an ending for this one, so I took the easy way out and reverted to the Intro and a very short fade out.  Not sure if it really works as an ending, it seems more like an "escape", which might actually fit the theme of the song!

I just want to mention that your latest collaboration, "When You Need a Friend", with Janet, Ed and Danny was absolutely fantastic!  Wonderful performances by the four of you, and also a great mix.

Thanks again, Rik, I truly appreciate your input and observations, and also your support on the forum.  Have a great evening, my friend!
    Bob
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:"Getaway" (Rock) 2011/10/17 03:08:08 (permalink)
    Hi Bob

I love this sort of music and this is great. I thought the bass was a little lacking but seeing as no one else has commented on it I guess it's my system or more likely my ears.

I just want to comment that it's great to hear melodic solos as well. I find very often solos on this sort of music descend into 'how fast can I play a run' indulgences but this tasteful melodic type of playing always wins out in my book. Great stuff.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1