Getting Desperate!!!

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Johnbee58
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 946
2018/10/22 02:40:41 (permalink)

Getting Desperate!!!

If I don't get an answer to this problem very soon I'll be destroying a less than a year old HP Windows 10 desktop PC!!!
I mean to tell you I will throw this **** out the window if I don't soon get an answer as to why this POS will not download and install CbB!!  I download, install & run Bandlab Assistant, then pick Cakewalk, and the damned thing just keeps on flashing "Downloading 0/2".

I have tried running as admin and disabling my security program.  I must have tried this at least 10 times now to no avail!!
I have CbB on my dedicated Windows 8 PC for music production with no problem.  I want it on this PC to work on music ideas in my bedroom.

Could it possibly be that I haven't run any windows updates for several months?  I got tired of them taking up my usage for an hour or more every other day only to slow my PC down more and more.  Do you think re enabling the updates would help?

If I don't get a solution by tomorrow at this time this piece of garbage will be in the trash tomorrow night at this time!  I'm serious.  This has been going on for weeks and I've had it!!

Thanks!
John B.

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007

60 Replies Related Threads

michael diemer
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1128
    Re: Getting Desperate!!! 2018/10/22 03:06:46 (permalink)
    Well, I don't have a solution as I don't use Windows 10. but I have a suggestion, if you can't get it to work: You can use the laptop for Linux. No, you can't use CbB on it, but you can learn how to use Linux, always a worthwhile thing. 

But I'm sure some Windows 10 lover here will tell you how to fix it. Of course, that assumes there are Windows 10 lovers on this forum.

Or, you can install Windows 7 or 8 on it. That might be the better solution, as you already know how to make it work on your other computer. 

michael diemer
    Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
    32 GB ram
    1TB Western Digital Black X2
    Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
    UR22 interface
    Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
    GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

Michayl Asaph
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 84
    Re: Getting Desperate!!! 2018/10/22 03:10:56 (permalink)
    I can try to help... if you have tried this already, forgive me, but this might work. I always open the folder where the download goes, and when it's done downloading, installation will start, but before I install, I go to C:\Users\MAsaph\AppData\Roaming\bandlab-assistant\Downloads and copy the Cakewalk installer exe and paste it in a storage folder, so I have it. I do have the installer exe which is about 600 to 700 meg and can wetransfer it to you, then you should be able to just run the installer and be up and running. I would think that this would work, I hope.... it's worth a try, if you want. Just PM me, or if you know someone else with the installer, get it and try. Let me know.
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: Getting Desperate!!! 2018/10/22 05:57:21 (permalink)
    Assuming that the problem is only with downloading the installer rather than actually running it, you could try downloading the file onto your main computer and then copy it over to the second computer and take it from there.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    TheSteven
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2037
    Re: Getting Desperate!!! 2018/10/22 06:32:04 (permalink)
    >"Downloading 0/2".
    Could be your Bandlab download folder is corrupt or for some reason has the wrong properties.

Check to see if the folder that Bandlabs uses as the download location exists and if you have full right for that folder:
    C:\Users\<YourUsername>\AppData\Roaming\bandlab-assistant\Downloads

You should have full control of that folder - if not, take ownership and assign yourself full control.
    You can paste the following in Windows Explorer to take you there:
    %appdata%\bandlab-assistant

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
    My Tunes
    Euthymia
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 223
    Re: Getting Desperate!!! 2018/10/22 08:59:32 (permalink)
    I have had CbB installed on my second system, a Windows 10 system, from the first release back in April.

I've never had to do any special tricks to install it and get it to work on that computer, except for the same "start over, try again" things that other people seem to have run into.

I would take the counsel of TheSteven and empty out the folders that BandLab Assistant uses to download Cakewalk. You may have a corrupted download left over from when you had Windows Duh-fender turned on and it's somehow in the way.

If you haven't yet, you could even try uninstalling the BandLab assistant entirely and reinstalling it.

Another question: is the account that you normally use when you log on to your Windows 10 system an Administrator account or a Standard account? If it's a Standard account, bump it up to Administrator.

-Erik
    Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Getting Desperate!!! 2018/10/22 10:26:17 (permalink)
    Its not the PC or Windows 10's fault.  I have CbB installed on my main DAW PC (Win 10) and two laptops with Win 10.  CbB is not OS version dependent so even though you don't have the latest Win 10 it will work OK.

I would do as suggested, install BandLab Assistant. RESTART THE PC (don't skip this step or the original problem can still be there) and then start over by downloading BandLab assistant and try from that. 

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Johnbee58
    Re: Getting Desperate!!! 2018/10/22 10:31:15 (permalink)
    Euthymia

If you haven't yet, you could even try uninstalling the BandLab assistant entirely and reinstalling it.

Another question: is the account that you normally use when you log on to your Windows 10 system an Administrator account or a Standard account? If it's a Standard account, bump it up to Administrator.

Thanks all!
    Re: uninstall/reinstall Assistant-I do that EVERY time.  When I run BA I choose "Run as administrator".  Are you suggesting something more?
    I'm not going to destroy the PC, but my biggest fear with this is that I probably will have to replace my good ol' faithful Lenovo Win 8 with a new PC sometime in the near or distant future and if it has to be with a Win 10 machine will I encounter this?  I might consider switching to a Macbook when the time comes but I've been using Windows for more than 20 years so I'm too set in my ways to try a different format.   Also, on a new PC I would probably install CbB first so there wouldn't be much chance of corruption.  I know there are many here who successfully use Win 10 with this software.  We should see an update on CbB in the next week or two, so I might try grabbing the cakewalk.exe from "old faithful" when that happens and try moving that to the Win 10 machine.  Could somebody here refresh me on how to cop the cakewalk.exe file?  I seem to have lost that info.

Thanks!
    JB

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
    NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
    JoseC.
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 471
    Re: Getting Desperate!!! 2018/10/22 11:28:01 (permalink)
    Ummm...I would try running the Windows Updates first, and see what happens after that. There have been some "important" (whatever that means) updates these last months. If you have not been updating Windows, maybe you have a problem there.
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Getting Desperate!!! 2018/10/22 12:54:07 (permalink)
    AS it stands now, CbB is ONLY for Windows, not MAC.  If you have a MAC you must run a Windows emulator for it to work and why pay 3 or 4 times as much for a MAC and then load Windows on it.

Win 10 is actually a "better" Win 8, just as Win 7 was a "better" Vista.  
    When I upgraded from Win 8.1 to  Win 10 the usable recording latency on a Roland Octa-Capture (what I had at the time) decreased from 6ms to 4ms as I could reliably run a lower buffer. 

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    stratman70
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3044
    Re: Getting Desperate!!! 2018/10/22 15:50:26 (permalink)
    John
    I have had issues with new win 10 install but never about downloading anything. I have many posts in computer forum asking about win 10 and such. I am a retired microsoft tech but really ended my career at Win XP, so quite a while ago. 
    I have not had to do anything special to download anything. 
    May I ask what service you use, I use Comcast. Also you really need the updates. I just delay the updates so I get to choose when to install.
    As to how to save the exe of CWbyBL the path that the steven put in his post is it:
    C:\Users\<YourUsername>\AppData\Roaming\bandlab-assistant\Downloads. It is a hidden folder so you have to change the view options to see the appdata folder.
    But that will not help you since you can not even download it.

stratman70
    Re: Getting Desperate!!! 2018/10/22 15:55:57 (permalink)
    Also John

You could re download the bandlab CW app again on your Win 8 pc, copy it to a thumb drive (it's only about 560mb)
    When you download it thru bandlab asst you will get to a point where it says it is ready to install-a small dialog box. STOP right there. Go to folder mentioned in thesteven's post and mine above. You will see the cw.exe bandlab asst download folder.
    just copy it to the desktop or straight to a thumb drive then just click cancel on the install dialog box.

Hope that makes sense.
    remember folder is hidden until you change the view to allow hidden folders

Bandlab doesn't care where you get the exe from, just thatas long as bandlab asst is connected to the internet when you install it.

SandlinJohn
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 188
    Re: Getting Desperate!!! 2018/10/22 16:06:47 (permalink)
    stratman70
    You could re download the bandlab CW app again on your Win 8 pc, copy it to a thumb drive (it's only about 560mb)

Funny seeing "Only 560mb" -- My first computer with Cakewalk on it had a whopping 20 MB hard drive... my how things have changed!

Sadly, I have no advice for Johnbee58. I can add that while my main system is Windows 7 Pro 64 bit ... I do have CbB working on my Windows 10 tablet as a mobile "Noodling" tool. I don't have the very latest update (build 1809) - the one Microsoft aborted because of issues - but it is reasonably current (build 1803) and this works fine.

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Intel NUC micro-workstation with 5th Gen Intel i5-5250U, 16 GB RAM and 1.25 TB Storage, Yamaha MG10XU Mixer USB Interface, Yamaha HPH-MT8 Monitor Headphones, Yamaha MX-49 controller synth
    michael diemer
    Re: Getting Desperate!!! 2018/10/22 16:51:30 (permalink)
    It could be that an older version of CbB and BA would work. but that assumes you have access to to them.
    Maybe it's best to wait for the next update, or an even later update, and hope that works.  

If it were a desktop, I would try cloning the drive on your windows 8.1 computer and putting it in the new one. but that is not possible with a laptop, of course. And Microsoft might not let you do that anyway. Probably would run into authorizing issues. They frequently will let you do things like that if you call them and explain the situation. At least they used to. These days who knows.

Is your copy of Windows 8.1 retail or OEM? If retail, you can install it on the laptop and it should authorize. That may solve the problem. Plus, you won't have to fight Windows 10 trying to spy on you, force updates etc.

I would keep trying, and keep doing what the knowledgeable folks here are suggesting. At some point it will probably click. If not, use that laptop for linux and get yourself another one and hope for better luck.

michael diemer
    32 GB ram
    UR22 interface

sock monkey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 547
    Re: Getting Desperate!!! 2018/10/22 17:04:20 (permalink)
    There have been a lot of threads with folks having issues installing Bandlab assistant. My opinion is it is a bit buggy. All these threads were resolved with " I don't know what I did, but it finally worked on the 5th try".   

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
    Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

Johnbee58
    Re: Getting Desperate!!! 2018/10/22 17:08:10 (permalink)
    stratman70
    Also John

When you download it thru bandlab asst you will get to a point where it says it is ready to install-a small dialog box. STOP right there. Go to folder mentioned in thesteven's post and mine above. You will see the cw.exe bandlab asst download folder.
    just copy it to the desktop or straight to a thumb drive then just click cancel on the install dialog box.

Hope that makes sense.
    remember folder is hidden until you change the view to allow hidden folders

Bandlab doesn't care where you get the exe from, just thatas long as bandlab asst is connected to the internet when you install it.

That's what I was planning on doing.  DL the next update on Win 8 PC and transfer it to Win 10.  I know it vanishes after the install so I have to grab it after DL.

Thanks
    JB

TheSteven
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2037
    Re: Getting Desperate!!! 2018/10/22 22:01:28 (permalink)
    Before any of your reinstallation attempts did you first delete the Bandlab folder:
    C:\Users\<YourUsername>\AppData\Roaming\bandlab-assistant ?

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
    My Tunes
    Johnbee58
    Re: Getting Desperate!!! 2018/10/23 01:34:21 (permalink)
    I give up!  I tried EVERYTHING!  I ran the Windows updates.  I disabled my AV and ran as admin.  I went into the appdata and deleted the old bandlab assistant folders and I downloaded a fresh install of the assistant.  I've never been so disgusted by a piece of software.  The POS still will not download and install it!  I even went into the assistant folder and saw the cakewalk exe file, dragged it out and clicked on it but it said that it was corrupted.  It's impossible.  I just hope I NEVER have to install this on a Windows 10 computer.  My days of music making may be over if this happens on a new one I would buy!!!

JUST F*** IT!!

Johnbee58
    Re: Getting Desperate!!! 2018/10/23 01:45:03 (permalink)
    I'll try one more thing.  When the update come out next month I'll cop the cakewalk.exe file off of my Win 8 PC (music dedicated PC) and bring it over to this Win 10 POS and try to install it that way.  But I'm not very hopeful that it will be successful.

JB

stratman70
    Re: Getting Desperate!!! 2018/10/23 02:13:21 (permalink)
    I misunderstood. Yes that will work. Just remember to be logged in to the BL asst when you install it.

Wayfarer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 831
    michael diemer
    Re: Getting Desperate!!! 2018/10/23 03:49:25 (permalink)
    If worse does come to worst, rest asured you can run windows 8.1 indefinitely, even after it is no longer supported. I plan to do that with windows 7. Just keep it offline most of the time, run a good AV, and be careful wheere you go. A dedicated computer for music is a good idea anyway. 

But I'm almost certain this will eventually be solved. In the meantime, you have your Windows 8 rig. Use that and rest your nerves awhile. You'll get there. I had a similar issue and eventually it got sorted out. and as someone stated earlier, I have no idea what solved it. The Bandlab folks appear to be good people who care about their product. Hang in there, John!

michael diemer
    32 GB ram
    UR22 interface

Johnbee58
    Re: Getting Desperate!!! 2018/10/23 09:31:33 (permalink)
    Thanks all.  I really wish that Micro$oft would leave their damned operating systems be.  I know we need more features for technology's sake but could they do it without making so much changes to how the basic program works?  When I got the Windows 10 PC back in January to replace my old (and faithful) Windows XP machine I spent most of the first week having to update.  At first it was nice and fast but slowed down with every upgrade.  Then, the Mail program really screwed me.  I entered about 30 names into the address book and after one of their many upgrades I lost access to them.  I had to install another email server to use an address book.  I don't mean to make this a PC OS thread, but I'm just venting how much I hate Windows 10.

JB

dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Getting Desperate!!! 2018/10/23 12:18:13 (permalink)
    John,

For a while there, I was using Comodo AV/Firewall and during that period I would get lots of corrupted downloads. Not sure what AV you are using, but if it is one that sniffs packets during downloads, it could be saving the file incorrectly. I seriously doubt that it is an OS issue. Make sure you know what AV/Firewall software is installed and running. Since it is a new machine there may be things installed you are not aware of.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    SimpleManZ
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 157
    Re: Getting Desperate!!! 2018/10/23 13:08:27 (permalink)
    HP Laptop and things to consider. Depending on your model, HP can install its own communicative applet within the OS or even the BIOS. Bandlab is meant to be a two-way "thingy". If so, might be conflicting with address ports.
    But, this is just a hunch of mine.
    Saying so, can you get to Cakewalk Command Center and try downloading Sonar Platinum.
    BadBill
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re: Getting Desperate!!! 2018/10/23 15:13:44 (permalink)
    I found that windows 10 was updating and not letting me download the app. After widows was updated the app finally downloaded. All is good for me. Good luck.
    pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Getting Desperate!!! 2018/10/23 16:14:21 (permalink)
    install fiddler and/or wireshark to see if it's breaking on the network communication

just a sec

stratman70
    Re: Getting Desperate!!! 2018/10/23 16:24:52 (permalink)
    Well, in all honesty and I believe John knows this, it's not the app causing the issue. If it was the rest of us would not have it either. It's either PC or the internet service or both.

I do understand how frustrating it can be, Just look at all my recent posts about win 10............Now I have it under control. But it never stopped m,e from getting CWbyBL. Just all kinds of other stuff...

Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Getting Desperate!!! 2018/10/23 17:13:45 (permalink)
    Any kind of internet activity tracking reflector could be causing the problem as well. That's what happened to me when it was impossible to install the XLN audio installer. 

I forget exactly what I did, but I went somewhere into Windows 10's internet pages and found something suspicious. When I removed it, I could download okay.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Getting Desperate!!! 2018/10/23 17:31:53 (permalink)
    Anderton
    Any kind of internet activity tracking reflector could be causing the problem as well.

how deep is the chrome usage? could be an add-in/extension there

just a sec

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1