Getting HD video mov mp4 h264 to play properly in Sonar X1 / X2 64 bit - problem solved!!!

Author
John Schuermann
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16
2013/08/14 16:39:20 (permalink)

Getting HD video mov mp4 h264 to play properly in Sonar X1 / X2 64 bit - problem solved!!!

Hello all!

I am posting this here as a helpful tip for anyone trying to get HD video to either a) import properly into Sonar 64 bit, or b) play smoothly and in sync once it does import.  There are a great number of crappy free codec "solutions" out there that can do more harm than good.  I am working on a (non-film scoring) project with a company that actually masters consumer Blu-ray content, and they sent me a link to a codec download that totally solved my problems getting HD video to play properly within 64 bit Sonar.  When I was researching how to solve this problem, it seemed like many others out there were having the same issues (unable to import video, horrible playback), so I thought I would share the solution I found here. 

To find the specific pack I downloaded, Google "google lav filters 0.58.2" with the word "google" actually in the search window.  That brings you directly to a safe download that does not try to install other software along with the filters.  You can just Google LAV filters and find other versions; all I know is that this version worked perfectly for me.  I am now able to import .mov, .mp4 and avi files that use H264 without any problems.
post edited by John Schuermann - 2013/08/15 11:21:25
John Schuermann
Re: Getting HD video mov mp4 h264 to play properly in Sonar X1 / X2 64 bit - problem solve 2013/08/15 11:22:10 (permalink)
I should not have posted a direct link for a download, so amended my post to say:

To find the specific pack I downloaded, Google "google lav filters 0.58.2" with the word "google" actually in the search window.  That brings you directly to a safe download that does not try to install other software along with the filters.  You can just Google LAV filters and find other versions; all I know is that this version worked perfectly for me.
jscomposer
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 175
Re: Getting HD video mov mp4 h264 to play properly in Sonar X1 / X2 64 bit - problem solve 2013/08/15 16:14:33 (permalink)
That download is full of Spam if you aren't careful. Why not just convert your HD video to an AVI jpeg? I find that worked best, plus it's small enough that it doesn't put strain on your system.
John Schuermann
Re: Getting HD video mov mp4 h264 to play properly in Sonar X1 / X2 64 bit - problem solve 2013/08/15 19:35:16 (permalink)
If you do the search I recommend - "google lave filters 0.58.2" with the word "google" actually in the search string - and choose the top result, that should give you a totally spam-free link to the pure filter download.  I very deliberately posted a spam free download link, because as you are obviously well aware, many codec paks come loaded with all kinds of extra garbage.  I just tried the link again myself and it does not download anything other than the LAV filters.  Did you try the actual search I suggested?  The LAV download should come back as hosted at code.google.com.  If there is a problem, please let me know and I will modify my recommendation.  I am genuinely trying to help folks out here, not clutter up their computers with garbage.

As to your question "Why not just convert your HD video to an AVI jpeg?", the only real answer is that the above method does not require you to.  Once I downloaded the LAV filters, everything literally worked flawlessly.  What it means for me is that I can get Sonar to just work with the original files I am sent without messing around with any other programs or conversions.  Other than converting to CineForm, which has incredibly smooth scrubbing but a huge file size, I have found the above to work best in my system.

From my own searches, here and elsewhere on the internet, many people have been expressing frustration with Sonar 64 bit's lack of compatibility with h264 codecs.  I do appreciate the guidance you and others have given to supply solutions in terms of creating compatible files via conversion, but thought that a simple, clean install that does not install a bunch of spam and enables native playback would be welcome.  When I called Cakewalk tech support with my video playback issues, they suggest the KLite Codec pak, which just about everyone else warns against installing (tech support at Sony Vegas warned explicitly against using the Klite pak).  Again, my goal here was to point people toward something that - from my experience - is safe. 

If anyone else has a problem, please let me know.  I don't want to give out bad advice.

LpMike75
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1621
Re: Getting HD video mov mp4 h264 to play properly in Sonar X1 / X2 64 bit - problem solve 2013/08/15 22:54:50 (permalink)
Hey John -

Thanks for the info.  I tried it out and the .mov files were playing but I ran into a couple issues.  1) every couple of attempts the audio file would not import with the video and 2) I could not see video frames on the timeline (yes the option is selected in Sonar).  Have you run into this?

I will play with it a bit more.  Thanks again!

- Mike
Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
John Schuermann
Re: Getting HD video mov mp4 h264 to play properly in Sonar X1 / X2 64 bit - problem solve 2013/08/16 11:48:07 (permalink)
Just checked - the frames don't show up in my project either.  I usually don't use this feature so I never bothered to check :(

As far as the audio input issue, no I have not had that problem.
Kman88
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 104
Re: Getting HD video mov mp4 h264 to play properly in Sonar X1 / X2 64 bit - problem solve 2013/08/17 16:19:23 (permalink)
Wow! Thank you so much. Worked for me. Now I don't have to mess with conversions that don't even seem to work most of the time either. Thanks again!

KMan88

Win 7 64bit, Asus MB with AMD Quad Core,  8GB Ram, RME Multiface II, Yamaha Motif ES6

Regards,
Kevin Keough
John Schuermann
Re: Getting HD video mov mp4 h264 to play properly in Sonar X1 / X2 64 bit - problem solve 2013/08/18 13:01:38 (permalink)
Cool!  I would love to hear from others who may have tried the LAV filters, comments both positive and negative.  From the number of views on this thread, I would guess that more than a few have tried this. 
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1