Helpful ReplyGoodbye Sonar, I've had enough.

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
. 2017/02/24 19:50:55 (permalink)

post edited by Caa2 - 2017/02/26 07:35:25

kb420
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1839
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/24 19:59:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FLZapped 2017/02/27 06:51:39
Anderton
IMO SONAR has reached the point where its feature set is very close to "all you need." Of course there are still holes, like ripple editing and room for MIDI improvement, and there are always things one could want. But if you look over the updates for the past several months, it seems Cakewalk is doing the software equivalent of "renovating" rooms in a mansion.

abacab
I think that the core of Sonar is very close to "all you need", at least as a recording studio.

There are a few areas that seem to be better addressed by other products. Such as notation based and pattern based composition

Midi improvement in Sonar is long overdue in my opinion.  

"Now, excuse me while I jump into my Jaguar; I need to board my private jet for the usual weekend trip to my mansion on the Big Island. I think Trixie, Crystal, and Heather are already there...must not keep them waiting in the hot tub!"

-Craig Anderton-
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/25 00:27:55 (permalink)
Steev
Thanks Starise, but no need to apologize as no offense was taken. And yes indeed I believe SONAR has WAY more then enough to suit anyone's personal workflow needs from capturing live musicians and tracking audio/MIDI performances, to loop and groove based genre specific sequence composition and everything in between to the point of actually offering way too much for any one user too even get a grip on all of it.
 Which I might add is utterly impractical if not impossible to do with a 30 day free trial

I'd go as far as to say that I haven't found much or anything that couldn't be done in SONAR, I just had to go about doing it differently.
 And this I believe was the OP's main problem, he expected SONAR to have silver bullets included to make it behave the way HE wanted it to, with all the controls, buttons, and levers in all the same places which was exactly like FL.
 Most likely one of those who say stuff like; "HELP FILES! I don't needs no stink'in Help Files.

Now I was never one who was even comfortable working with prerecord rhythm patterns 
 It didn't take me long to figure out a MUCH easier and smoother way to work with ACID loops in SONAR then it is with ACID Pro, and combining and using Cakewalk's MIDI Groove Clips makes SONAR seem like ACID on STERIODS with a turbo charged engine with overhead cam and glass packs.
 What typically takes hours to arrange and edit in ACID takes minutes to do in SONAR, and you can easily shave off many more minutes from that just with SONAR's ProChannel.
 I tried to convince many of my ACID/artist/collaborators who were blown away with the speed, efficiency, and superior sound quality I was achieving to try the 30 day SONAR trial, and I would not only walk them through it, I offered a custom mixed SONAR project of a song we were already collaborating on in ACID Pro.
 Only 2 out of 10 jumped on the offer, no one else would even budge and only one purchased SONAR, and eventually went back to using ACID after about a year because he wasn't happy at all with support, and because of overly complicated patching and routing issues he had to go though every time he added a track.

A problem which still exists today, even with all the offered templates, all of which miss the mark on basic I/O assignments, though most of us here most likely are so used to it we don't really notice it anymore.

Now I know the bakers are all so busy what with getting SONAR to run right on a Mac and all, but............. Ummm..... Well, I don't mean to be disrespectful but my money says that that will prove to be an enormous waste of time and money.
 Does anyone, and I mean ANYONE really believe that they can win over and change the minds of a Pro Tools or Logic Pro user to jump ship?
 Does anyone, and I mean ANYONE really believe Apple will even continue making and developing desktop or even laptop computers long enough for Cakewalk to even attract new Mac Head users that don't automatically [and correctly] assume that Pro Tools or Logic Pro are the ONLY true professional choices for a most powerful, smooth, and reliable workflow?

Oh BTW, Logic Pro is the SONAR of the Mac Head World, and it is a VERY SERIOUSLY SERIOUS CONTENDER!
 It is also the hands down winner of the lowest latency with Focusrite Scarlett Gen 2 interfaces. An astonishing 1.7 ms @ 24/96 ROUNDTRIP with USB 2 which easily supports routing and running VST audio plugins as channel inserts or Aux. in real time audio recording with undetectable latency.
 2x-3x lower latency then I register with SONAR which would still be low enough to be great IF SONAR supported running VST audio plugins in real time, which it doesn't.

It's things like these we notice when and if we ever leave the SONAR Bubble.

Sorry boyz and girlz, as much as I love SONAR, it is not the best, nor will it ever be offering it to Mac Heads that been picking on it for the past 20 years or so. LoL

1.7ms latency @ 96khz sample rate is not astonishing. With good hardware and drivers Sonar is equally capable.

When you have a set buffer size and increase your sample rate, the natural outcome is for the latency to come down. But as with all things there are trade offs. With increased sample rate and lower latency comes a greater CPU overhead along with a greater data throughput that needs to be written to and read from the discs. These capabilities are more down to hardware and drivers than solely the DAW.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Steev
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 314
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/25 08:08:11 (permalink)
LoL Starize, customer support isn't one of my strong points either.
Yes I'm aware Magix took over Sony Creative Software, that really got my attention when they decided discontinue and delete the ACID Planet ProZone layer, because they was only a couple hundred of us using it.
 I wish I knew they were going to do that, as I would have most certainly moved everything I had posted there over the past 10 years or so to another website
 They did give us a $40 refund towards our next Magix software purchase, and that also made me aware that they really UPed the pricing, and actually make you go through hoops to even find out how to upgrade, which is all very curiously missing from the Magix Software Products website and not even listed in the first several pages of support and FAQs.
 It took me a half an hour to find my Sony Products download page to get a VP 14 trial download after logging into my account directly from Vegas Pro 11 Help Menu, which took me almost back to where I started (only being logged into my account) and then had to go through a series of FAQ's with links to find a link to email them my Vegas Pro 11 serial number to request a special upgrade offer, which is $100 more then what SCS used to charge, which is now $250 which I kind of find ridiculous because they've done nothing to improve it. It still downloads a SONY Vegas Pro brand as does all other SCS software, and the $40 refund towards our next Magix software purchase can't be used towards the upgrade.
 The only real difference between v11 and v14 is a little more sheen on it's grill, and support for more 4K rendering codecs. Nothing that can't be accomplished with rendering any HD codec from any version of Vegas and importing it into Nero Platinum.
 And forget about a Vegas user forum on Magix, especially if you are accustomed to the point of being spoiled with the Cakewalk User Forum, Vegas User forum never actually really existed in this capacity, other then a short run in ACID Planet Community Forums, which died out years ago due to the rather steep and complicated learning curve of video editing in Vegas is 180 degrees out of phase of the insanely easy learning curve of ACID software. So easy, you don't even have to know squat about playing or performing music, and you don't even have to know what a DAW is to begin creating some very catchy tunes and ideas simply by knowing how to use a Windows PC.
 What made me fall in love with ACID in the first place wasn't loop based composition, other then using drum loops for putting down  killer click tracks using loops created by Mick Fleetwood, it was because I add and stack tracks to them record track after track of audio tracks all day long and anywhere on my Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows 2000 on a 600 M/hz Pentium 3 with a whopping 96 gigs of RAM. 
 At the time ACID Pro 2 could do things the bakers at "12 Tones" could only dream of doing with Cakewalk Pro Audio, and import a stereo mix down of an ACID project into CPA 9, and it's ready for some SERIOUS MIDI MAGIC, and then import a stem mix into Pro Tools................ Mix, stir, bake, broil and or boil and repeat... :o)
 I know that may sound complicated to some, but believe me, it's so much easier, safer, and more accurate than using a grease pence and razor knife to slice up rusty strips of celluloid on an editing block and Scotch Taping a song back together..

Thunderbolt is excellent on Intel i7 based systems with Z87 chipsets, but kind of a crap shoot with AMD based systems with FX 990 chipsets.
 On my system using a Focusrite Clarett plugged into an ASUS Thunderbolt PCIe card, one day it would scream heavenly and flawlessly, the next day when I booted up my computer my BIOS would even recognize it and I'd have to walk through Hell and go through a Voodoo dance to get it up and running again.

However the Focusrite Scarlett Gen 2 series achieves near Thunderbolt ultra low latency through USB 2 on the same system, and hooks up seamlessly to my first gen Focusrite OctoPre with ADAT optical and Word Clock, and I can have a real nice trouble free day with insane amounts of connectivity with an added bonus of 16 Focusrite really delicious sounding Focusrite preamps.
I was also very PLEASED to notice an astonishingly life like amount of "air" and resemblance to an ISA preamp that SONAR's ProChannel gives the Scarlett by using the "N" Type module. Very much does what the "Air" control on Clarrett does and with slightly more control over coloring with the "N" Type module's Trim, Gain, and Tolerance.
 And why shouldn't it, the "N" obviously stands for Rupert, the father of Focusrite, Neve.
 As does "S" Type obviously stands for SSL as it adds that SSL warmth, but I'm not really sure what "A" Type is, except for adding a certain flavor of harshness which I find rather pleasant for some hard core saturated sounding Genres like death metal and old school punk, I'm thinking, that certain place where the power of "GERTH" trumps "Tone" every time for the truest sonic experiences of and for SLAM DANCING and HEAD BANG'in!

post edited by Steev - 2017/02/25 08:30:06

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

konradh
Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3325
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/25 11:24:01 (permalink)
Interesting that the OP says paste doesn't snap to the grid. For about a year, paste has been missing the grid for me by anywhere from 3 to 30 ticks (in a 120/qrt setting), even when I paste special and select the time. Similarly, putting notes on the staff has the same issue. I've checked and rechecked settings. This is such an odd behavior that it struck me that someone else has something similar.

Konrad
Current album and more: http://www.themightykonrad.com/

Sonar X1d Producer. V-Studio 700. PC: Intel i7 CPU 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM. Win 7 64-bit. RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLPC, Ivory II, Vienna Symphonic, Hollywood Strings, Electr6ity, Acoustic Legends, FabFour, Scarbee Rick/J-Bass/P-Bass, Kontakt 5. NI Session Guitar. Boldersounds, Noisefirm. EZ Drummer 2. EZ Mix. Melodyne Assist. Guitar Rig 4. Tyros 2, JV-1080, Kurzweil PC2R, TC Helicon VoiceWorks+. Rode NT2a, EV RE20. Presonus Eureka.  Rokit 6s. 
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/26 07:41:08 (permalink)
Hi Konrad - here is a post on considerations with snap to grid - maybe that will help you understand how to get it to do what you are needing:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Snap-to-grid-setting-not-working-m2440851.aspx

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
DeeringAmps
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2614
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/26 08:04:04 (permalink)
Talk about "all over the place", this thread it it!
Got an issue? Throw in "I've had enough".
Just kidding, just kidding.

Or maybe not...
T

Tom Deering
Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/26 09:10:46 (permalink)
Well seeing as how this thread began in 2015 - why not.  If the OP is still here, then there is either a great success story in play, or the makings of a great country song.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/26 12:19:35 (permalink)
konradh
For about a year, paste has been missing the grid for me by anywhere from 3 to 30 ticks (in a 120/qrt setting), even when I paste special and select the time.

If you're clicking in an audio clip to set the Now time, I would guess this is due to having Snap to Zero Crossings enabled. But I can't imagine how using Paste Special could fail to paste at the specified time.

In lieu of disabling Snap to Zero Crossings, you can click in the timeline to snap the Now time to for pasting without being affected by the Zero Crossings option.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/26 13:46:37 (permalink)
Konrad was using X1 but I think he's just in the process of catching up with the rest of us :)  
But I do agree snap to grid for me has always been quirky.
And I noticed it doesn't stick with lenses. I have to keep changing it back to my preferred 1/16 note value,, like a lot of defaults in Sonar 1 measure is pointless.  

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Steev
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/27 12:13:49 (permalink)
Only time I've ever experienced snap to grid errors was always my fault caused either by  incorrect tempo settings in either project tempo or note resolution and or both resulting in MIDI clock drifting or a very poorly prepared and or recorded ACIDIZED loops where the first detected downbeat doesn't hit exactly on the first beat of the measure.
 1/32 Ghost notes and 1 or 2 beat lead ins with note res set to 1/16,1/8, or 1/4/ that are naturally and humanly perceived to the first downbeat note can actually belong in the in end of the measure before will do it every time and drive you crazy.  

Steev on Bandlab.com

Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

eph221
Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4665
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/27 17:01:01 (permalink)
I work in pro tools as well as sonar.  Sonar is much more intuitive and logical, but really crashes alot. They tell everyone it's their computer (the reason for the crashes) and often there is a genuine... work around. I use sonar as a hobby daw.  Now I'll cover my head and wait for the fall out from the sonar fans.

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
 Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

telecharge
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1180
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/27 17:50:38 (permalink)
eph221
Now I'll cover my head and wait for the fall out from the sonar fans.

Bring on the drama! Just kidding, but this thread already has 10.000 views and a lock has been hinted at. No doubt its staying power is irksome to the fervent fan base.

For me, the secret to to a stable Sonar is not updating every month and keeping a backup of a version that is stable on your system. It took me a while after monthly updates started to figure this out. I'm not seeing anything in the February update that interests me, but I could understand anyone who does a lot of takes/comping going for it.

Here's hoping for ripple editing in March!
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/27 18:29:56 (permalink)
Steev
Thunderbolt is excellent on Intel i7 based systems with Z87 chipsets, but kind of a crap shoot with AMD based systems with FX 990 chipsets.
 On my system using a Focusrite Clarett plugged into an ASUS Thunderbolt PCIe card, one day it would scream heavenly and flawlessly, the next day when I booted up my computer my BIOS would even recognize it and I'd have to walk through Hell and go through a Voodoo dance to get it up and running again.

However the Focusrite Scarlett Gen 2 series achieves near Thunderbolt ultra low latency through USB 2 on the same system, and hooks up seamlessly to my first gen Focusrite OctoPre with ADAT optical and Word Clock, and I can have a real nice trouble free day with insane amounts of connectivity with an added bonus of 16 Focusrite really delicious sounding Focusrite preamps.

Thunderbolt offers little to no latency improvement over USB. Because USB2 has more than adequate bandwidth and speed. As does Firewire 400 for most purposes.

My UFX returns identical latency and performance through it's USB2 and FW400 ports into my i7 2.2GHz Retina MacBook Pro and the same performance into the USB ports of the now too tempremental to use reliably PC in my sig. That's Firewire into a Thunderbolt 2 port because the MacBook doesn't have firewire ports and hasn't for a while.

Once you're down to 10ms round trip latency matters very little, once reliably down to 32 samples you'll never notice any further improvement even if it can be done technologically. That's the kind of figures where you can add fifty percent to the latency by leaning back on your chair a foot.

As for Logic Pro, I've been using it a lot over the last 18 months because I don't intend building a Won10 PC just to be a DAW, and every other computer we have is Apple apart from an old PC that runs a minimalist Linux server. Logic's good, but give me the way Sonar handles routing multiple hardware MIDI ports any day.

Sonar Platinum comes with a much better set of plugins as well, with the exception perhaps of Alchemy, if you like Alchemy that is. And Sonar has a much better forum :-)

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
paul jenkins
  • Total Posts : 346
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/27 19:02:31 (permalink)
Yeah as a complete novice ide just like to say there is something easier as far as work flow that fruity loops has..........Sonars step sequencer i think i posted once before should be modelled on fruity loops, and then sonar would be the ultimate package!!!!     Like yeah a whole new beat making engine added onto sonar, and a better user freindly sampler also, similar to what reason offers.........Sonar is great, but it can always inproove, and listening to complaints and suggestions is a good way for the programmers to improove the software i think!!!

Windows 10, 64 bit, intel core i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHZ  2.59GHZ......12 gig ram ....Sonar lifetime updates, presonus audiobox 1818 interface, and beringer UFX1604 mixer interface/control surface...... All round musician, multi-instrumentalist/songwriter.....attempting to produce good music.....started on music creator 6 2014, bought sonar 2015....and now invested in lifetime updates......Learning always!!!!Thanx cakewalk and online forum
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/27 21:03:35 (permalink)
eph221
I work in pro tools as well as sonar.  Sonar is much more intuitive and logical, but really crashes alot. They tell everyone it's their computer (the reason for the crashes) and often there is a genuine... work around. I use sonar as a hobby daw.  Now I'll cover my head and wait for the fall out from the sonar fans.

Oddly enough on my computer, Pro Tools crashes often, but SONAR can go for months of daily use without issues. I can't help but think it has something to do with the audio interface and drivers. Clearly a) SONAR doesn't have to crash because it doesn't crash for me, and b) Pro Tools doesn't have to crash because it doesn't crash for others. 

I've reviewed a lot of interfaces in my time, and particular programs seem to have affinities for particular interfaces/drivers. Unfortunately it's such a moving target among the computer, operating system, host program, and interface drivers it's probably not possible to compile an authoritative list. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
eph221
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/27 21:48:45 (permalink)
You may have a point in that, as my hobby daw, I use it on my regular computer (instead of a dedicated computer).  That makes all the difference in the world.  Just think of what can go wrong!  So if pro tools is more *stable* it might just be that more pro tools users have dedicated daw computers than sonar on computers with more consumer junk.  That might be the difference.

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/27 23:19:54 (permalink)
eph221
You may have a point in that, as my hobby daw, I use it on my regular computer (instead of a dedicated computer).  That makes all the difference in the world.  Just think of what can go wrong!  So if pro tools is more *stable* it might just be that more pro tools users have dedicated daw computers than sonar on computers with more consumer junk.  That might be the difference.

As much as I hate to prolong this thread...in the early days of Pro Tools, Digidesign (and maybe this carried over into Avid, I don't recall) provided support only for supported systems, which was a fairly specific and narrow list. People got all bent out of shape that "Digidesign is forcing us to use certain computers, what jerks." I said that Digi was doing them a favor because they guaranteed that Pro Tools would work if you used one of the supported systems. If you didn't, you were on your own.

Imagine how easy life would be for SONAR support if you had to use a computer that they had thoroughly vetted as being ideal for SONAR...

Interestingly enough, TASCAM has taken that approach with Track Factory. It consists of an Intel NUC computer integrated by PC Audio Labs specifically for music and specifically for SONAR Professional, along with a thoroughly tested interface. I've had the system up and running for a while now because TASCAM asked me to do some videos on getting started. The system has behaved flawlessly.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/27 23:59:00 (permalink)
telecharge
eph221
Now I'll cover my head and wait for the fall out from the sonar fans.

Bring on the drama! Just kidding, but this thread already has 10.000 views and a lock has been hinted at. No doubt its staying power is irksome to the fervent fan base.

For me, the secret to to a stable Sonar is not updating every month and keeping a backup of a version that is stable on your system. It took me a while after monthly updates started to figure this out. I'm not seeing anything in the February update that interests me, but I could understand anyone who does a lot of takes/comping going for it.

Here's hoping for ripple editing in March!

I update every month. Only had to rollback twice in over 2 years of using Sonar Platinum. If there's some feature that doesn't interest me one month, because the builds are accumulative, I'll get it the following month anyway albeit with a fix and then some. It's not like I can avoid those features unless I stop updating altogether.

I'm a fervent fan.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
eph221
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/28 00:36:07 (permalink)
I've been buying cakewalk since the very beginning;  I'm a fan as well.  And the dedicated hardware that Craig mentioned is fascinating. Perhaps moi dost protest too much.  It's not like music is my main income.  And, I imagine those for whom it is their lifeblood, they'd have a dedicated computer for Sonar.  TA!

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

Earwax
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 242
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/28 03:05:32 (permalink)
Anderton

Interestingly enough, TASCAM has taken that approach with Track Factory. It consists of an Intel NUC computer integrated by PC Audio Labs specifically for music and specifically for SONAR Professional, along with a thoroughly tested interface. I've had the system up and running for a while now because TASCAM asked me to do some videos on getting started. The system has behaved flawlessly.

This is the most genuinely interesting thing I've seen posted on this forum in a long time.

Pain - the absence of things hoped for, the evidence of catastrophes unforeseen.
Steev
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/02/28 21:36:19 (permalink)
tlw
Steev

Thunderbolt offers little to no latency improvement over USB. Because USB2 has more than adequate bandwidth and speed. As does Firewire 400 for most purposes.

My UFX returns identical latency and performance through it's USB2 and FW400 ports into my i7 2.2GHz Retina MacBook Pro and the same performance into the USB ports of the now too tempremental to use reliably PC in my sig. That's Firewire into a Thunderbolt 2 port because the MacBook doesn't have firewire ports and hasn't for a while.

Once you're down to 10ms round trip latency matters very little, once reliably down to 32 samples you'll never notice any further improvement even if it can be done technologically. That's the kind of figures where you can add fifty percent to the latency by leaning back on your chair a foot.

As for Logic Pro, I've been using it a lot over the last 18 months because I don't intend building a Won10 PC just to be a DAW, and every other computer we have is Apple apart from an old PC that runs a minimalist Linux server. Logic's good, but give me the way Sonar handles routing multiple hardware MIDI ports any day.

Sonar Platinum comes with a much better set of plugins as well, with the exception perhaps of Alchemy, if you like Alchemy that is. And Sonar has a much better forum :-)

I have to concede with everything. Alchemy is ultra cool. and Macs generally do exactly what you would expect from them, and generally do it very well.
 I am more then confident that my 2012 Mac is ULTRA reliable and won't crash Pro Tools 8. and will also be the Swiss Army Knife of DAWs as long as I don't try to upgrade anything
 But that isn't even 1/10 what you can do with a decent Windows [workstation grade] machine for half the investment running SONAR 8.5.

I'm not talking about BIG BOX store BLOWOUT sale computerz or trying to appreciate what a DAW actually CAN DO or really what it can't do running on a laptop.

Ok, I'm kinda  curious about this new hybrid Tascam interface for SONAR Pro.. Can it keep up to what my Scarlett 18i20/ OctoPre can do with SONAR Platinum?
 Is exactly 16 audio tracks at once with at least as many MIDI tracks with hardware and VSTi and or DXi soft synths (or more) and get it down with no humanly detectable latency?
 Cakewalk/Roland TTS1 is still one of me all time favorites for that 80's/90's sound canvas (yes pun intended)

Spoiler alert; I won't be spending $300 to find out. ( I'd rather forget I even tried them than mention my personal experiences with Tascam multi-track audio interfaces.
 LOVED my DA-88's though, and had several Porta Studios that kept me sane during the off hours. :o)))

Steev on Bandlab.com

Pro Tools.

stxx
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 406
Re: Goodbye Sonar, I've had enough. 2017/03/01 03:50:44 (permalink)
Once you insert your own code you're on your owns. Good luck with that! Who's going to test and regression test for you once and make sure you haven't destabilized The Who thing? It often doesn't taken much to screw thinga up badly! How will you know what or when you broke something down stream? Personally.... unless it's a very compartmentalized piece, bad idea...

Sonar Platinum, RME UFX, UAD 2, Waves, Soundtoys, Fronteir Alphatrack, X-Touch as Contl Srfc,  , Console 1, Sweetwater Creation Station Quad Core Win 8.1, Mackie 824, KRK RP5, AKG 240 MKII, Samson C-Control, Sennheiser, Blue,  AKG, RODE,  UA, Grace, Focusrite, Audient, Midas, ART

Song Portfolio:
https://soundcloud.com/allen-lind/sets/oth-short
Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1