Great or good Western movies?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Old55
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19791
Re:Great or good Western movies? 2013/03/12 18:39:31 (permalink)
jbow

My two favorites right now are

Open Range

and

Silverado.

Kevin Costner is in both and both he and Bob Duvall are outstanding in Open Range. My favorite character in Silverado is Kevin Kline. I've seen others I liked and I like most any movies, western or not, set in the 18th or 19th century.
Cowboys and Aliens... not so much.
The remake of True Grit was really good, IMO. 3:10 to Yuma was OK.. not great.

I like no BS characters like Capt. Woodrow Call in Lonesome Dove and Charley Waite (Costner) in Open Range.

Any suggestions?? What to watch...???

Julien

In Silverado, I love John Cleese' entrance,  "Wots all this then?"

Should auld acquaintance be forgot--hey, who the hell are you guys?  

X2(X3 pending hardware upgrade), Emulator X2, E-mu 1212M, Virtual String Machine
UbiquitousBubba
  • Total Posts : 8912
Re:Great or good Western movies? 2013/03/12 18:52:17 (permalink)
'Scuse me while I whip this out.

Blazing Saddles

More beans, anyone?
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re:Great or good Western movies? 2013/03/13 01:24:19 (permalink)
" The Wild Bunch."  The movie about the end of the old west that ended westerns for a good while.  Peckenpaw at his best.

"Unforgiven."  The best clint western ever.

"The Searchers."  John Wayne makes one bad ass bad ass.  Ford at his best.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re:Great or good Western movies? 2013/03/16 14:05:46 (permalink)
Deadwood and Justified

I need to watch Deadwood, I watched a couple of episodes back when but it was too much for wifey so I never watched it. We LOVE Justified, Elmore Leonard is awesome. You know he is "hands on" with Justified.

I am watching Sam Peckinpah's first movie, Ride the High Country right now. Sam was a great... his movie The Wild Bunch is another great one and I need to get it... I also realized today that I don't think I ever saw his movie Pat Garret and Billy the Kid with Kris Kristofferson, Bob Dylan, and most of the great western movie character actors, I need to see it. I used to play and sing "Knocking on Heaven's Door" I don't know how or why I missed the movie... I was probably more interested in smoking something.. at the time.

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
jbow
Re:Great or good Western movies? 2013/03/16 14:11:06 (permalink)
Wyatt Earp with Costner
Lonesome Dove - Duvall
Open Range - Both of them
Dance with Wolves - Costner
True Grit - Duke
Appaloosa -Ed Harris
She wore a yellow ribbon - Duke
How the west was won - A little goofy but visually true.
Streets of Laredo - Totally goofy but I always watch it

Good list. I like the remake of True Grit too and most everything that Costner has done. If you read, you should read Louis L'Amour's book 'How the west was won' and his Sacketts books are REALLY good, especially the first four books. Heck all L'Amour books are good.

J

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
chulaivet1966
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 384
Re:Great or good Western movies? 2013/03/16 14:16:19 (permalink)
Hmmm....does Jeremiah Johnson fit in this mix of suggestions? Carry on....

www.soundclick.com/wayneevansproject
Thank you for listening....
Military experience in case I'm not alone: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=78446
Semper Fi - USMC 1965-1969 RVN
My respect to all that have served honorably.
Moshkiae
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6111
Re:Great or good Western movies? 2013/03/16 14:19:23 (permalink)
Hi,

Just thought of another movie ...
POSSE -- Mario Van Peebles directed it in 1993 and it was one of those things that is hard to watch, but likely very true to its character and form. Very historical.

I'm watching "El Topo" again and will see what I think this time around ... never seen that thing in its entirety. Also would like to find his other film.

Of course, we can always add fake westerns, like "Zachariah".

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

jbow
Re:Great or good Western movies? 2013/03/16 14:25:15 (permalink)
In Silverado, I love John Cleese' entrance, "Wots all this then?"

@ Bubba, "The sheriff's a 'BONG'" funny movie...

@ AT... yep, I've only seen Unforgiven once so I will watch for it, and I really want to see The Wild Bunch. It has been so long that I don't remember it well. I wonder if Warren Oates was in every Peckinpah movie... he was in the first one and certainly in the majority of them.

Now I want to see "Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia" too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPaUPU9xdgM They say that everyone involved knew that Oates was playing Sam Peckinpah in the movie but Sam didn't realize it until near the end of production. It is a bit of an 'underground movie'. Sam made it in Mexico with a free rein and it pretty much sums up his struggle with living and self destruction.

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
Moshkiae
Re:Great or good Western movies? 2013/03/16 14:36:33 (permalink)
Hi,

Sam's film making and in the end violent stuff, was not so much about the western, as it was about his own view of things ... and he had the same issue with producers and film studios.  I do think that "Wild Bunch" is the best of them all, though the other films have their own bits and pieces that make it attractive. The only one I prefer not to talk about or watch, is "Straw Dogs", which to me is more about taking it all too far, than anything else ... and by that time, I did not think that Sam was with it anymore.

Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid is an interesting movie ... and I think, a joke ... and not supposed to be taken seriously ... can't tell ... but it was nice, if not weird. At the time, the studio made a lot of bruhaha about the music for the film, and of course having Kristofferson and Dylan in there. Not sure the movie is better with them, or not important without them ... and I never could decide if the film was worth it or not.

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

Moshkiae
Re:Great or good Western movies? 2013/03/16 14:39:53 (permalink)
jbow

.... only one that I know of ... was in many of his movies ....

"hey george ... I got his boots ... george look ... I got his boots! ... "

Strother Martin

AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re:Great or good Western movies? 2013/03/16 20:22:45 (permalink)
The Wild Bunch certainly is full of memoriable lines and shots.  It was the first time I knew Lt. McCale and his navy could act and why Ernest Borgine won Oscars.  Any movie whose first real line is "If they move, shoot 'em" can't be all bad, expecially after riding into town past kids making red ants and a scorpion fight, their little angelic faces smiling .... kinda like the smiles at the end after ... well, either you know or don't and I don't want to let loose any spoilers.

Pat Garret  is a bit uneven.  The uncut version they have been showing has some great scenes not in the original but seems to slow the movie down.  It is worth a view and Bob Dylan's bit pieces are great. 

Straw dogs is a painful movie.  The remake is painful, but in a different way.  I never got through it tho they show it incessantly on cable.

Pekinpaw used a lot of the same people over and over and would pit them against each other.  In "Ride the high country" he wouldn't let the "good guys"  around the "bad guys" except when filming, and it was the first time most of them worked together.  He liked the tension like he liked his drink.

My favorite of his is "Cross of Iron" w/ James Colburn.  A War movie about Germans on the eastern front.  Maybe the best war novel ever and the movie lives up to it.  Funny, Germans fighting the Russians in WWII didn't seem to play well at the theaters, can't imagine why.  ONly in the 70s and probably only Sam would have tried.  But if you want to watch a serious war movie (kinda like what they made after korea except more explict and psycho and psycholdelic) try it.  It is in pieces on the internet but they never did a great DVD cut of it. 

@

post edited by AT - 2013/03/16 20:26:20

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
cclarry
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re:Great or good Western movies? 2013/03/16 21:02:14 (permalink)
SLASH HAS BECAN!!!!

Moshkiae
Re:Great or good Western movies? 2013/03/18 11:05:00 (permalink)
cclarry

SLASH HAS BECAN!!!!

Spammer!

Old55
  • Total Posts : 19791
Re:Great or good Western movies? 2013/03/19 12:30:47 (permalink)
Not as well known as the Eastwood films, this one by Sergio Leone is fun. 

Duck, You Sucker(AKA A Fistful Of Dynamite):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067140/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Should auld acquaintance be forgot--hey, who the hell are you guys?  

X2(X3 pending hardware upgrade), Emulator X2, E-mu 1212M, Virtual String Machine
jbow
Re:Great or good Western movies? 2013/03/19 14:33:45 (permalink)
I have Cross of Iron on my to watch list. I tried to watch Duck, you Sucker yesterday but I just couldn't quite get into it. Watched Nevada Smith today and it was OK. I also watched a quirky little spaghetti western spoof movie that was actually pretty good,
Dead Man with Johnny Depp and others, including Iggy Pop. The music is mostly Neil Young playing solo guitar. Good locations, scenery, strange story. I recorded it, watched it, and decided to not delete it... I may watch it again.

If you like underground quirky movies, give Dead Man a look.

J

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re:Great or good Western movies? 2013/03/25 10:25:05 (permalink)
I forgot "The Long Riders", with the Carradines as the Youngers, the Keaches as the James brothers, the Quaids as... another pair of brothers and... those other brothers as the Fords.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re:Great or good Western movies? 2013/03/25 15:00:17 (permalink)
57Gregy

I forgot "The Long Riders", with the Carradines as the Youngers, the Keaches as the James brothers, the Quaids as... another pair of brothers and... those other brothers as the Fords.

Have you ever seen the Chinese version?  It's called the Rong Lidels.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
jbow
Re:Great or good Western movies? 2013/03/26 10:32:29 (permalink)

Yeah, a good one! I've see it several times. I REALLY think James Keach was perfect as Jesse. I'm surprised he wasn't in more movies and wasn't a bigger star.

J

Sonar Platinum
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re:Great or good Western movies? 2013/03/26 10:54:14 (permalink)
His career was completely overshadowed by his brother Stacy's work.
How could he ever top Stacy's acting? I mean, did you see Stacy's Oscar-worthy turn in "Up In Smoke"?

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1