Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
brendantownsend
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 279
RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/02/27 17:22:18 (permalink)
Hmmm... Just happened across your post Schlieren

quote:

. . . also, there are rectifiers other than those which use diodes? Careful now, you're talking with someone who knows about electronics what they teach in aircraft systems

Brendan. +

What's is this about exactly?

A discussion on studio grounding techniques or how to kit out a 747 with home studio recording equipment, with a bit of personal defamation thrown in? I am of-course not talking about military rectifiers, and I would wager few home PC's would have them . However, I'm not an aircraft engineer but a designer of modern commercial and industrial equipment that is commonplace with 99.9% of electronic equipment used on the ground. Suffice to say, this includes the modern recording studio.

I have served the electronics industry for almost 25 years in a design capacity so I should know just a little of the basics. Currently I work for CSR plc (global leaders in Bluetooth) in a similar capacity, albeit a sort-of hands-on managerial one nowadays. Furthermore, designing out noise considerations involving sensitive bespoke equipment for manufacturing processes is a feat in itself. Did I also mention that I have written technical papers for the IPC?

You said a lot but you didn't say whether or not a grounding rod would help him out or if it was snake-oil to a problem inherent with PSUs. . .

You will note the previous threads here, extolling the virtues of transformer isolation and local grounding busbars, though as I say, the issues can be complex. With a little understanding it's often possible to identify the potential source of interference and apply (cheaper) localised corrective measures to isolate the worst offenders, hence the background on switched-mode PSU's as primary offenders in the presence of sensitive audio equipment and a few clues on probable noise characteristics.

Though not always inexpensive, I wholeheartedly agree with the largely-successful good practice exemplified by other posters here, and without doubt this is always the right approach by default. For some however, purchasing proprietary equipment may not always be possible as we talk of home recording studios as much as professional setups. Knocking huge stakes into the ground however will reduce impedance to Earth but only as a measure to potentially reduce an unguarded cause of interference, with questionable effectiveness. As I'm sure you will know, there is also the issue of ground wiring inductance and resistance (effective impedance) between your studio ground and the ground outside - a wildly varying factor that figures little in the discussions I've seen before on the effectiveness of grounding rods.

Talking purely hypothetically... if you're stood in a room on (say) a damp or ground-capacitive floor, holding a microphone and experiencing interference, then interfering loop current may be using your body as an alternate path to ground, thereby transferred through signal cables to the mic. By reducing the mains earth impedance (big stakes or otherwise) then you are effectively adding a parallel path to your body, reducing the signal current transferred through signal cables in such an event. However, as I say, this is not actually isolating the source of interference. Similar situations can arise with anything even stood on a floor offering similar paths to noise loop current - particularly where equipment is double isolated (without mains earth) but the chassis is still common to signal ground.

Snake oil? There's no answer to that as sometimes it may work and others may not - based on the source of interference, its nature and extent, and the complex paths introducing noise loop-current into sensitive audio equipment. In the professional environment I've always had the luxury of designing in "best practice", though as I say - not always within the realms of the cash-strapped home studio. If knocking a stake into the ground reliably works for you then that's fine, but I would suggest is not the right approach if you are (ideally) able to first identify and isolate the source of interference, in addition to employing best practice - which is not necessarily so expensive and far more likely to achieve the desired results.

Brendan.
post edited by brendantownsend - 2006/02/27 17:40:50

krizrox
Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4046
RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/03/15 17:40:25 (permalink)
I'm revisiting this again in ernest today. I talked to one electrician on the phone this morning and another is coming by in a few minutes to review the situation.

The fellow I talked to this morning had some of the best advice (or at least he talked like he knew what he was doing). His suggestion was to forget grounding rods and instead install some sort of external grounding bar (near the inside fuse panel) and then connect that to the water pipe. When I mentioned that there was already a ground connection there he said it didn't matter. The external bar connected to the water pipe was the key and he even mentioned the isolation transformer too so that was a new twist on all this. His quote? Around $2,000. I thanked him and hung up.

The new guy coming in will hopefully have something useful to say. At this point I'm willing to try anything that makes sense and doesn't cost $2000 :-)

Larry Kriz
www.LnLRecording.com
www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
krizrox
RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/03/22 20:17:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: losguy

If I was bothered enough to go outside and start sledgehammering a rod into the ground, I'd first go get an isolation transformer and use the output side for my studio. It's a lot like a balanced direct box for your studio's AC power, complete with a ground lift. So, rather than tring to find a better ground from the power company, you can use off-the-shelf technology and create your own. What you get in return is total control over the source and nature of that ground, and you are assured that it is completely clean. Not only that, but the hot side is completely clean, too. Way cleaner than almost any other solution, in fact.

For an example of what I'm talking about, you can look here.

This turned out to be a winner of a suggestion. I received a Tripp-Lite isolation transformer today, plugged it in, plugged my guitar amp into that and was immediately greeted with the lushest, warmest guitar tone I've heard in a long time. But wait, there's more... just for grins I decided to plug my Furman Power Factor Pro unit into the isobox and then ran the amp off the Furman and that improved things even more. The amp sounded tighter. What a winning combination. Wow.

I'm a believer now in these isolation transformers. I bought a 1000 watt unit for around $300 on Ebay (brand new). And if you haven't tried that Power Factor Pro unit, give it a spin. It makes an audible difference.

Thanks guys for all your suggestions.

ps - the last electrician who came here didn't know squat about audio or anything audio related and suggested all kinds of bizzare stuff (including a motor generator). He left and never came back. That's two electricians that came saw and ran screaming

Larry Kriz
www.LnLRecording.com

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/03/22 20:37:48 (permalink)
Larry, that is great to hear. I really am glad that you found success with this. Now you know, the same applies to the reast of your studio as to this amp. Just be careful with the total power draw through the iso as you add things to it. Also, if you find noise creeping back into the studio ground, say due to the amp, then you can remedy it easily by getting a second separate iso for the studio (probably not a bad idea anyway).

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
losguy
RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/03/22 20:44:02 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: krizrox
suggested all kinds of bizzare stuff (including a motor generator). He left and never came back. That's two electricians that came saw and ran screaming

Wow. I'm really glad that you didn't go that route! (Bet you are too!) Ironically, he was suggesting the equivalent of an iso transformer, except with a moving rotor! (plus loads of noise and vibration, and really poor line regulation) That's the transformer solution they used in about 1910, before Tesla first introduced AC power. You really would have had a museum piece!

krizrox
RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/03/23 12:48:06 (permalink)
The last electrician that came in finally called back this morning. He was going to suggest two isolation transformers - one to kill 99% of the noise and another to kill the remaining 1%. Total cost around $600. He claims he was gonna build them himself.

I don't know what it is with these guys. They all seem to have the same mindset - why build one when you can have two at double the price

Larry Kriz
www.LnLRecording.com

losguy
RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/03/23 15:36:44 (permalink)
...or buy one hospital-grade one that performs twice as well for half the price.

brendantownsend
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 279
RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/03/23 18:35:18 (permalink)
Nice one Krizrox - Kudos to you sir

Electricians are by their very nature the sort of guys that can be expected to know wiring standards (well, most of them, LOL) and know what's hot and what's not - in an electrical sense of-course.

Now for all of the electricians amongst us I certainly don't mean to suggest that electrical engineering isn't a skilled trade - it is. However, knowing electrical wiring standards and relationships between power, voltage, current and phase are worlds away from appreciating noise issues in sensitive analogue applications and giving advice on a case-by-case basis. Electrical and Electronic engineering are two fields that are quite different.

However, this is the right approach and I'm glad to see that you weren't swayed by ill-informed grounding tactics that may only work in very limited circumstances, but would do nothing to eliminate the root cause.

The bottom line is that low-frequency noise currents induced in any path actually require a circuit to be completed (I refer to my previous example of standing on a capacitive/conductive ground holding a microphone). For ease of understanding, maybe think of it using Direct Current as an imperfect analogy, where if you took a battery, hooked up the Negative terminal to the mains Earth on your supply socket and grasped the Positive terminal while standing bare-foot on a conductive floor, then a very small current would flow through your body to Earth due to the ground path, completing a circuit with the negative terminal. If you were to then to break the connection between the Negative terminal and mains Earth, no current would flow.

This is an oversimplification in some respects but the principle is the same with a low-frequency AC circuit. By inductively isolating the ground and supply circuits, you have very effectively created a high resistance (impedance) to noise on incoming mains wires and mains Earth, effectively doing the same as disconnecting the Negative terminal of the battery in the above DC analogy and therefore breaking the AC noise-current return path. Furthermore, as the output of the isolation transformer is a true balanced supply, then this offers common-mode rejection from supply-borne noise that would not exist with a direct-fed supply.

The only thing that you would need to be mindful of now is Earth loops, though this always applies no-matter what supply source you have. For example, a very noisy PC power supply could be viewed as an AC generator (much like the battery "DC" generator above), potentially allowing low-level AC noise to form a circuit through the PSU-fed computer and cards, out through connected signal cables to (say) an amp, back through the amp ground and returning to your PC via the common (studio) ground that you now have. In such cases, and as Losguy rightly suggests, employing another isolator for the noisy offender would once again break the ground return loop and sustain a noise-free studio.

Hopefully this makes things a little clearer, and although fearing accusations of oversimplification I hope that an understanding of the raw principles will give you the upper hand over financially-motivated electricians working with Victorian manuals, Variacs, Rheostats, and big bakelite knobs

All the best,

Brendan.
post edited by brendantownsend - 2006/03/23 19:32:42

jambrose@cfl.rr.com
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 170
RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/05/24 07:40:10 (permalink)
Outstanding, it's great to hear you've gone a long way in resolving.

Sounds like it may be all settled! I meant to keep checking in here to see how it was going, after offerring some comments up front, but time got away from me. Trying to slow down again.
I read some great advice here from others! Looks like you stayed away from "the most expensive answer is the best one", good going there.....sadly some will try to charge too much. And in grounding problems, sometimes it's not the cost, but the simple things to correct. For two the thousand dollars that was quoted, I would "volunteer"....just kidding!! Glad to hear all is well.

Joe
krizrox
RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/05/25 16:00:48 (permalink)
Yeah I was glad to put this behind me. Thanks for all the suggestions and tips.

Larry Kriz
www.LnLRecording.com

Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/05/26 11:15:07 (permalink)
I don't know what it is with these guys. They all seem to have the same mindset - why build one when you can have two at double the price

Sounds like government work! (I'm allowed to say that, I work for a government contractor!)

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1