Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
krizrox
Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4046
2006/01/26 11:49:27 (permalink)

Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution?

I have had two electricians tell me the same thing now - that driving a ground rod (or rods) into my backyard and running all my studio equipment off that ground (as opposed to the electrical ground which is attached to the cold water inlet) will make my system sound better.

The electrician that came in this morning and told me this had done some measurements on my circuits and found out that my computer and all my other gear is dumping like over an amp of garbage onto my system ground. The PC was the worst offender.

Have any of you been down this road before? Any feedback about the results of such an action? Did it actually make a difference? Some research on the net indicates that this can make a big difference in the sound quality of audio gear.
post edited by krizrox - 2006/01/26 11:54:13

Larry Kriz
www.LnLRecording.com
www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.

40 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/01/26 12:13:16 (permalink)
    I wouldn't say sound "quality" is at risk but noise floor could be. Having a solid ground is important but more important is all the gear having an equal path or potintial to what ever ground you have. A good PC power supply will provide good clean low voltage feeds to all the parts inside the computer no matter what happens at the AC input. But it will also send all it's garbage back down the ground. The power supplies in all your will do this and that's normal. If your house ground is good that should be enough. If it's not then the first step would be to improve the ground for the entire house first. If you still get ground loops or more noise then you would expect then you may want to think about a seperate ground for your studio.

In one of the apartments I lived in before I got my house there was only one outlet in the room that had a good ground. So I had to run all my gear off that outlet and run a wire from all the racks to that ground to stop the ground loops. You can get a tester at Radio Shack or a home center to test the outlets and that will at least let you know if things are wired correctly.

If you had all analog gear like in the old days a ground might help the sound "quality" of things like amps but today with swtiching reguatled power supplies in PCs it's not a quality thing it more just a noise floor thing.
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/01/26 14:14:03 (permalink)
    Giving all of your gear a seperate path to ground IS a legitimate and pretty surefire way of making sure you have a "clean" path to ground.

A "clean" path to ground doesn't necessarily guarantee better sound than a "dirty" ground, and you still have to follow good star-grounding procedures to keep noise and other problems to a minimum.

It's not a myth-- it's more like a solution in search of a problem in many cases.

But in your case, Larry, where you've been chasing these gremlins for as long as you have, whatever it will save in terms of doubt and frustration is probably worth the dollar cost. Even if it doesn't produce any noticable improvement in sound quality (and it very well might), it's probably worth the lost sleep and time of wondering whether that's the culprit.

Cheers.
    krizrox
    RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/01/26 16:05:20 (permalink)
    Thanks as usual yep and ohhey.

Ya know - at this juncture, I'm not even sure if the gremlins I've been chasing are real gremlins. By all outward appearances, I don't have a problem - at least not according to the test data and the various other band-aids I've tried. Yet, in the back of my mind I can't shake the feeling that I do have a problem that might be ground or AC related.

In terms of driving stakes into the ground behind my house like some sort of vampire hunter, I might pursue thatl, but not now. The ground is freaking frozen and covered with 6 inches of snow at the moment. Better to wait until spring I guess. I'm still waiting for some sort of recommended game plan from the electrician. He was going to confer with some colleagues before rendering a formal opinion on this matter. But his gut reaction this morning was to drive a ground rod and separate the studio circuit from the rest of the house. We'll see. I wish there was some way of testing this theory before committing sledge hammer to copper rod.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/01/26 16:35:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: krizrox

Thanks as usual yep and ohhey.

Ya know - at this juncture, I'm not even sure if the gremlins I've been chasing are real gremlins. By all outward appearances, I don't have a problem - at least not according to the test data and the various other band-aids I've tried. Yet, in the back of my mind I can't shake the feeling that I do have a problem that might be ground or AC related.

In terms of driving stakes into the ground behind my house like some sort of vampire hunter, I might pursue thatl, but not now. The ground is freaking frozen and covered with 6 inches of snow at the moment. Better to wait until spring I guess. I'm still waiting for some sort of recommended game plan from the electrician. He was going to confer with some colleagues before rendering a formal opinion on this matter. But his gut reaction this morning was to drive a ground rod and separate the studio circuit from the rest of the house. We'll see. I wish there was some way of testing this theory before committing sledge hammer to copper rod.

LOL ! well except for the forzen ground it's not an expensive or time consuming thing so it's worth a try. The rods are not copper just copper clad. I'm in Fort Worth Texas so my ground is like cake right now. In fact I worked on my stone strip yard edgeing last night and the dirt was easy as cake to deal with. I might try the ground rod thing myself, seems like a cheap experiment as long as I don't hit the gas line.
    yep
    RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/01/26 18:38:53 (permalink)
    For the record, it's not the stake in the ground that's expensive, it's tying all of your outlets to it (and even that's not TOO bad, by electrical standards).

If you're going to go to the trouble, you may as well have them run new circuits from the service panel while they're at it. Gives you room to grow, and fresh AC to go with your new ground wire.

Cheers.
    krizrox
    RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/01/26 18:55:25 (permalink)
    Ha - with my luck I'll not only hit the gas line but the cable TV line too. And break a few fingers in the process.

Either that or maybe I can sneek a ground wire over to my neighbors house and attach it to his water spicket.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com

dmassey
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 210
    RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/01/26 22:38:31 (permalink)
    Having a separate grounding rod has been the subject of debate for decades. Every audio consultant I've ever known has always insisted on one, as well as an isolated ground, and a "star-grounding sytem" and several other schemes. All of these ideas have some merit and MAY help, but the only real way to avoid problems is to do everyhting by the book. Make sure all electrical devices have an earth ground, hopefully at the same point, used only balanced audio lines, isolate the shield at the output of of all audio cables, use only quality braided shielded cable, and DON'T use cheap surge suppressors. You're 99% assurred of having a hum-free system this way. We have had good results with SurgeX power conditioners, and the upscale Furman Voltage regulators are worthwhile if you have a local fluctuation problem, but most of the cheap "conditioners" are just outlets in a box with a cheap "spike" trap that can introduce issues.
    Oh, and if you're going to pound the stake into the ground, attach the connector first! I installed a ground rodyears ago thru a concrete slab (hammerdrills are amazing!) and didn't realize that the sledeghammer would deform the end of the rod to point that I had to hacksaw off about 4" to get the connector on. I had a bad day....
    Steve_Karl
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/01/29 09:39:15 (permalink)
    I looked into this 20 yrs. ago and after talking to the techs at Duquesne Light ( Pgh. PA )
    I was convinced it was a viable solution.
    The only thing that stopped me was figuring out how to drive a 12ft. 3/4" rod into the ground!

post edited by Steve_Karl - 2006/01/29 09:42:24

Steve Karl
    https://soundcloud.com/steve_karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    nprime
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2423
    RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/01/30 02:27:37 (permalink)
    Important detail...

Story from some magazine I read a long time ago:

This studio had an annoying intermitent noise problem. The engineers who worked there had tried all the traditional solutions, like making sure the ground wire was properly attached to the chassis of each piece of gear, star grounding scheme, etc. They would implement some new scheme and think that they were getting somewhere, the noise would be gone for a few days, then mysteriously reappear when the technicians had not changed anything.

Finally in utter frustration they called in an eletrician to see if he could find the source of their problem. He came with his son who he was training to be an electrician. So he checked all the wiring and the panel and the outlets and declared that he could find nothing obviously wrong. He went outside and checked the grounding rod which was sunk into the earth outside the back of the building and it seemed intact. He went back in and started checking everything again, assuming that he had missed something. The boy got bored and wandered outside. While he was gone the noise suddenly stopped. Everyone got real excited because they figured the electrician had found the problem. Unfortunately he had done nothing. He was getting ready to leave when the noise reappeared. He went back to work looking for the source of the problem. After another couple of hours the boy got bored again and excused himself to go outside. Once again the noise stopped. Now the electrician was totally confused. He could find not reason for the noise to have stopped. He asked everyone to tell him what they had been doing when the noise stopped. They each told him in turn and there was no obvious connection.

At his point the boy comes back in. The Father asks him what he was doing just now, and he says he was just walking around outside. The electrician goes through everyone's story again and is at his wits end. Finally he turns to he boy and says "Tell me exactly what you were doing outside." The boy looks all sheepish and doesn't want to answer. The Father endures with the questioning until the boy finally admits that he went outside to the back of the building to have a pee. The Father asks him to show him where he was peeing. Sure enough the kid had been peeing on the grounding rod. Every time he did the grounding rod made a good connection to ground, but as it dried out the ground was lost. As the studio owners thought about it they came to realize that the the noise went away whenever it was raining out.

So there you go, you have to piss on it if you want it to work.

R
    post edited by nprime - 2006/01/30 02:31:01

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    Intel DP35DP, E6750, 3 GB, 80GB/320 GB
    Scope (6 DSP) w/A16 interface
    PadKontrol, Legacy Series MS20, EZDrummer.
    gullfo
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/01/30 10:51:47 (permalink)
    a lot of discussion on grounding and noise going on here: http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=16

Glenn 
    www.runnel.com

krizrox
    RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/01/30 13:59:34 (permalink)
    I've learned a lot from these messages and links. Thanks!

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com

TheFingers
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1669
    RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/02/06 20:29:44 (permalink)
    I work for the phone company, I have seen ground rods installed by "professional" electricians as short as 12", yes, inches in length. It is very obvious when you go to make a ground connection at the house ground, and it pulls out of the ground barely pulling on it.

1973 "A" neck.

I'd rather be playing Bass:
    jefffj2il@aol.com
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/02/07 01:27:16 (permalink)
    krizrox,
    I'm a little late to this thread, but there are a couple of possibilities I might add. My background includes amateur radio where grounds are also important. Some operators have put water plus copper sulfate crystals around the ground rod; I don't know what this does to foliage or groundwater but it increases ground conductivity; in very dry areas grounds can be a problem because the dry ground is not conductive enough.

In an office where I work we had voltage surge problems because the 3 phases were not properly connected or balanced. Also , in my little studio I have found that SCR type light dimmers are a source of noise

Jeff
    dcastle
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2623
    RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/02/07 13:30:58 (permalink)
    The only thing that stopped me was figuring out how to drive a 12ft. 3/4" rod into the ground!

This is pretty simple for a real electrician with real tools. You ought to be able to get it installed for about $150 (minimum charge so have him do some other random electrical work while he's there) plus materials.

Regards,
    David

ASUS M3A78 AMD 9950 Quad 2.6G 8GB
    Shure • Rhode • Audio-Technica • Allen&Heath GL2200-24
    MOTU 24i • Presonus Firepod • E-MU 1212m • Zoom H2
    SONAR 2XL-8PE • Sound Forge 1-9 • Audacity 0.1-1.3
    brendantownsend
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 279
    RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/02/16 20:50:54 (permalink)
    PC's are by far the worst offenders for creating grounding noise, simply due to the switched-mode power supply and the method employed to decouple noise from the mains.

Unlike a PC power supply, an isolating linear power supply uses a transformer to convert down mains voltage. The AC output of the transformer is then diode-rectified to pump charge at relatively low DC level into a reservoir capacitor, which in-turn feeds a DC regulator serving to control system rail voltage for voltage-sensitive devices. However, in the process of rectifying the AC voltage from the transformer, rectifier diodes conduct (to pump charge into the reservoir capacitor) and then switch off on the inverse AC cycle. It's this process that creates burst noise on the connecting wires which can escape back through the transformer and appear on the mains wires. Depending upon the mains filter employed (if any) then this can manifest on ground wires as-well, though the use of a transformer between the rectifiers and the mains circuit acts like a large choke.

However, for efficiency and size reduction the switched-mode PC power supply does not first transform down the supply voltage by large transformer before the regulator. What actually happens is that the mains voltage itself is directly rectified and this leads to more aggressive burst noise created by rectifying diodes pump-charging a high-voltage reservoir capacitor. Now as no transformer exists to provide a degree of high-frequency isolation with the mains input, large toroidal chokes and high-voltage capacitors attempt to decouple the noise feeding back onto the supply lines (you can often see these peering through the fan grille - where the mains connector terminates to the board).

In addition to burst noise is the added noise from the switching action of the regulator, occurring at much higher frequency than mains but often within the high-audio band. Rectifier burst noise is likely to give you 100/120Hz noise, whereas regulator-generated noise will generally be in the form of a whistle or hiss.

Sadly, PC power supplies often employ a couple of high-voltage capacitors series-connected across the two AC power lines, with the junction between the two being connected to chassis/earth. This increases the propensity for electrical noise to appear on all grounds coupled to the PC, such as screened cables running out to your audio amp, pre-amp, etc. These capacitors are usually added to meet HF emissions regulations but are often the primary cause for conducted noise in ground circuits.

A separate large bifilar-wound choke on the power lines to the PSU can often help to increase noise impedance to the supply wires and make the earthing circuit more effective by comparison, in addition to localising the noise loop. It's no mean feat resolving noise issues and this is only one measure that can work in some cases. In an ideal world optical or signal transformer isolation can work wonders, but with transormer isolation you're colouring an otherwise flatter signal and is therefore impractical. Active balanced coupling can also work well and preserve flatness, but is often impractical for the usual home studio.

Oh well... just imparting a brief technical insight as I used to develop audio test gear for Phillips PRCS in a production environment, where line noise was forever the issue.

Brendan.

S6Pro; P5v2; XV-5080; V-Drums+SPD11; 2x Delta 1010; Soundcraft 24ch; TC M3000 Reverb; Keystation Pro88; Alesis M1Active 620; Dual 3.2GHz 2+2MB; 4GB 800MHz XMS-2; 5x 10krpm HDD; RAID-0; XP PRO & 64
    justpicaname
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/02/16 23:45:16 (permalink)
    What I do is plug all my gear into my monster powerbar (was told by a electrical engineer friend it was the way to go) cost me $450 though!! then I plug into a Furman power conditioner rackmount unit. since I've done this I notice ALOT of noise buzz and hum was gone. I am totaly happy with this set up. A little pricy though
    losguy
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5506
    RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/02/18 19:45:40 (permalink)
    If I was bothered enough to go outside and start sledgehammering a rod into the ground, I'd first go get an isolation transformer and use the output side for my studio. It's a lot like a balanced direct box for your studio's AC power, complete with a ground lift. So, rather than tring to find a better ground from the power company, you can use off-the-shelf technology and create your own. What you get in return is total control over the source and nature of that ground, and you are assured that it is completely clean. Not only that, but the hot side is completely clean, too. Way cleaner than almost any other solution, in fact.

For an example of what I'm talking about, you can look here.

Psalm 30:12
    All pure waves converge at the Origin
    Schlieren
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 58
    RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/02/19 02:54:52 (permalink)
    Brendan. +

You said a lot but you didn't say whether or not a grounding rod would help him out or if it was snake-oil to a problem inherent with PSUs. . .

. . . also, there are rectifiers other than those which use diodes? Careful now, you're talking with someone who knows about electronics what they teach in aircraft systems.

. . . . . .
    krizrox
    RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/02/19 18:10:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: losguy

If I was bothered enough to go outside and start sledgehammering a rod into the ground, I'd first go get an isolation transformer and use the output side for my studio. It's a lot like a balanced direct box for your studio's AC power, complete with a ground lift. So, rather than tring to find a better ground from the power company, you can use off-the-shelf technology and create your own. What you get in return is total control over the source and nature of that ground, and you are assured that it is completely clean. Not only that, but the hot side is completely clean, too. Way cleaner than almost any other solution, in fact.

For an example of what I'm talking about, you can look here.

Thanks for the tip - I will look into this.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com

losguy
    RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/02/19 18:53:11 (permalink)
    I think you'll be glad you did, Larry. If you do, then just be sure to get one with enough wattage to cover the power draw of your studio.

The other main thing is to keep everything on the secondary side on one ground, separated form the main power completely. Think of it as a moat around your studio, and not crossing it with any kind of connection. This includes not connecting audio cables or computer cables across the moat. If you did, you would basically lose any benefit of the isolation, plus possibly create a big ground loop too.

I would map out what you want to be on the inside of the moat and work from there. Of course, you don't need to put lamps, fans, and heaters in there. This will help with your in-moat power budget, and possible reduce noise in the moat too. Of course, we're speaking electrically... you could still physically locate items in your studio if you needed to.

krizrox
    RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/02/19 23:42:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: losguy

The other main thing is to keep everything on the secondary side on one ground, separated form the main power completely.

This might be a code violation no? How do you do that exactly and still be "in code"? My understanding is that ground needs to be connected to the mains ground somewhere. You can't have a separate ground running out into the backyard for example. It needs to be tied to the mains ground at some point - or so I thought. My main goal is to prevent death. That would be a show stopper :-)

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com

losguy
    RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/02/20 00:00:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: krizrox
    This might be a code violation no? How do you do that exactly and still be "in code"? My understanding is that ground needs to be connected to the mains ground somewhere. You can't have a separate ground running out into the backyard for example. It needs to be tied to the mains ground at some point - or so I thought. My main goal is to prevent death. That would be a show stopper :-)

If so, then every hospital in America is in violation! Sorry, I'm just toyin' around.

As long as you don't try to run outlets in your dwelling with it, you're fine. Think of it as an appliance that you plug your equipment into. In that sense, it's a lot like an UPS. Believe it or not, equipment plugged into the iso-x is safer than equipment plugged directly into the wall... as long as you maintain isolation from primary to secondary, you can touch the hot side of the secondary and a cold water pipe and not get shocked. That's why hospitals use them.

But mind you, you'll still get shocked if you touch hot and neutral/ground if both from the secondary side. But that's what happens with the wall outlet, too. No big shock there (ouch, bad pun).

jambrose@cfl.rr.com
    • Total Posts : 170
    RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/02/24 22:15:56 (permalink)
    According to the NEC all grounds shall be connected. One quick description is in some (electrical) services too many ground connections cause "ground loops" and the current running aroung on ground conductors causes voltage rises as it passes through different connectors and the voltage reference levels fluctuate on the ground the DAW equipment or sound reinforcement components uses. The good comments on CPUs with their switching power supplies being their own worst enemy is right on. IMHO and in my working experience in computer room ground problems/resolutions, the type of solution greatly depends on how much money one is willing to spend to eliminate the noise, and even eliminating a lot of the voltage transients that constantly barrage the electronics. Best simple start should always to have a good ground rod system for the home/business, and if multiple ground rods have each connected with a minimun #6 cable in a daisy chain, not looped. If another ground rod is driven say near a studio wall, outside, that must be, per code, connected to the building electrical service ground. It is also dangerous. Whew, a too long email. This is a very important post, and every comment herein has some good comments. Just my 2c.

Joe
    yep
    RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/02/24 23:33:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jambrose@cfl.rr.com

According to the NEC all grounds shall be connected. One quick description is in some (electrical) services too many ground connections cause "ground loops" and the current running aroung on ground conductors causes voltage rises as it passes through different connectors and the voltage reference levels fluctuate on the ground the DAW equipment or sound reinforcement components uses. The good comments on CPUs with their switching power supplies being their own worst enemy is right on. IMHO and in my working experience in computer room ground problems/resolutions, the type of solution greatly depends on how much money one is willing to spend to eliminate the noise, and even eliminating a lot of the voltage transients that constantly barrage the electronics. Best simple start should always to have a good ground rod system for the home/business, and if multiple ground rods have each connected with a minimun #6 cable in a daisy chain, not looped. If another ground rod is driven say near a studio wall, outside, that must be, per code, connected to the building electrical service ground. It is also dangerous. Whew, a too long email. This is a very important post, and every comment herein has some good comments. Just my 2c.

Joe

Confusingly written, but word. I can recommend two books that deal comprehensively with grounding issues, and each relies on the other-- the safety one is the American Elctrician's Handbook (aka the "code book") and the audio one is the Master Acoustician's Handbook. the former is about 1600 pages, and the latter is about 800 pages, I think. An incomplete knowledge of either one could lead to worse results.

Again and again and again, the most important factor in audio is star grounding, aka a common path to ground for all interconnected audio signals. There are expensive, elaborate ways to achieve this, and cheap, rudimentary ways to achieve this. There are ways to achive this that are safe (clever use of simple, UL-listed power strips is one) and there are unsafe ways to achieve this (ground-lift adapters, for instance, which will instantly void any homeowner's or building insurance in the event of an electrical fire, and will usually leave the operator personally liable).

There are certain other ways to get around this that involve multiple paths to ground, but they are more complex than simply allowing anybody with a hammer and a metal spike to make their own grounding rods. There is no law against running whatever kind of electrical you want, the electrical code only offers insurance protection. If you violate the electrical code, nobody's gonna arrest you, you simply lose any insurance protection for electrical failures.

Cheers.
    losguy
    RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/02/24 23:37:11 (permalink)
    Thanks jambrose. Just to be clear, I did not advocate violation of any electric codes whatsoever. In fact, follow them to every dotted "i" and crossed "t", and it will be fine and dandy. But that's apples and oranges to what I was recommending above.

All I recommended was that one plug their Isolation Transformer into their (code-compliant) wall outlet, then plug their entire recording setup into the isolation transformer (nothing more, nothing less). The isolation transformer is UL Listed, and probably approved by lots of Medical Safety Review Boards as well (otherwise hospitals would not use them, or even touch them with a 10-foot pole, or for that matter even a six-foot grounding rod).

Let's not overthink this. One should think of the isolation transformer as a glorified power strip... just one that carries a lot more clout than the $5.99 variety that you get at Lowe's. And about 2000-4000% () more effective than the stupid Monster noise filter that you get at Best Buy for 10X the price.

jambrose@cfl.rr.com
    RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/02/25 20:55:01 (permalink)
    This is truly a great topic. With even the "simple" rules followed, the quality of ground performance can be very good.

Another of the more "simple" steps; the ground rods themselves, the very driving them into the ground result can provide different results. For example, here in Fl, one can use (3) rods, go to 24 to 30ft, and still not get a good ground, depending on the soil composition. Here in Florida, there have been cases of rods driven in, then they both disappear, as they drop through an underground cavern. (Florida is one big lime rock quarry), complete with caverns and underground rivers). I've seen one stick provide a less than 10 ohms ground point.
    The quality can be tested; someone may have mentioned it here and I missed it, if so please forgive me.....one can get a licensed electrician to perform a ground test, to "meg" the ground rod/connection, and see the results. Believe it ot not, less than 50 is accepted, less than 25 is typical. We shoot for less that 5 if at all possible. The lower the ohms (units of resistance) the better.
    The type of soil and length of ground rod are obvious major components. In some locations, the ground sites are treated with salts to create a more conductive soil, and the ground area is constantly kept wet, to keep the resistance between the rods' surfaces and earth as low as possible.

Grounding is indeed a many faceted subject. Once I tracked a ground problem in St. Lucia down a 5 story office building, outside, into a government controlled underground electrical vault (the government there controls all utilities), where the "first service" ground connection copper ground clamp had corroded 90% off the only connection of the building 4/0 ground cable to the three ground rod configuration. The computer equipment and telecom equipment was going nuts, in a very slow and erratic manner. Yet there was enough of a ground for the test equipment to provide good waveforms most of the time...30 minutes of work for their local electrician and I was on a plane home the next day.
    Anyway, a long and boring story...sorry.

Good evening all,

Joe
    losguy
    RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/02/25 21:04:25 (permalink)
    Believe it ot not, less than 50 is accepted, less than 25 is typical.

This fact alone is a great argument for using an isolation transformer. The "acceptable" impedance is just enough to keep things safe, but not enough to keep things noise-free. But with an iso, you can create a clean-as-a-whistle, low-impedance ground on the secondary side for your studio equipment with no safety impact, and without having to go to the n-th degree to get the electrical supply ground clean.

jambrose@cfl.rr.com
    RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/02/25 22:19:05 (permalink)
    I'm in agreement about the isolation transformers. I used one for every computer room or Telecom POP, to provide the separation of service from other same building elect services, and creating a power distribution network I could document everything from the created dedicated service. The GE super isolation with double farraday shielding between the primary and secondary windings was one of my staples. From 25 to 500kva or better, I always had good fortune with those products. Another was a CPC solid-state tap switcher with again, enhanced shielding between prim/sec coils, and with the advantage of handling brown-outs without switching to UPS power.

As you may know, some most common problems are caused unknowingly by Users themselves (me included!) where they combine multiple component computer network systems, and then plug the multiple components into electrical outlets spanning two electrical distribution panel "streams"; one from an isolated (created specifically to provide the clean power for them) service, and another component into a standard utility outlet (not fed from the created service), inducing/generating electrical noise, hum, and problems. That type of random "plugging in" would connect the two electrical panel "streams" ground...through their equipment via the ethernet or low voltage shielded cabling. Then the erratic problems would start. Some of the nose and hums talked about here may very well be a similar situation, not with computer components (maybe) but audio components,

A house typically has one distributed panel electrical circuit, but some houses, with additions, pools, or other "adds" have the capability of having what should be separate circuits, then they are somehow tied together at other than the first service......bingo, noise and hum.

In one location, someone added the hydraulic elevator power connection to the wrong panel, had reversed the ground and neutral cables, and everything worked OK (although mis-wired).
    Except later, as one of the normal tasks of the office workers was to load the elevator full of copy paper once or twice a month (in the late night hours), refill the copiers. Taking the elev from the ground to the third floor generated current on the ground (was supposed to be the neutral-remember it's mis-wired), which the noise caused all the computers and UPSs to transfer to utility and shut down, as "no source, line or inverter, was acceptable" for power. But when we came to test and fix things, everything worked normally....one of the weirdest things, but perseverance paid off. The problem was far, far, from the computer room.....

I have got to stop writing these long posts....

Good evening all,

Joe

losguy
    RE: Grounding Rods - urban myth or practical solution? 2006/02/25 22:34:20 (permalink)
    I'm in agreement about the isolation transformers. I used one for every computer room or Telecom POP, to provide the separation of service from other same building elect services, and creating a power distribution network I could document everything from the created dedicated service. The GE super isolation with double farraday shielding between the primary and secondary windings was one of my staples. From 25 to 500kva or better, I always had good fortune with those products. Another was a CPC solid-state tap switcher with again, enhanced shielding between prim/sec coils, and with the advantage of handling brown-outs without switching to UPS power.

Holy cow Joe, why didn't you say so before? You've been holding out on me! And yeah, I've heard about the line-regulating type (the brownout-proof one). Sounds great to me. But I expect they're a bit pricier. Not to metion the 500KVA unit... a studio that needed half a megawatt would be pretty scary!!

As you may know, some most common problems are caused unknowingly by Users themselves (me included!) where they combine multiple component computer network systems, and then plug the multiple components into electrical outlets spanning two electrical distribution panel "streams"; one from an isolated (created specifically to provide the clean power for them) service, and another component into a standard utility outlet (not fed from the created service), inducing/generating electrical noise, hum, and problems. That type of random "plugging in" would connect the two electrical panel "streams" ground...through their equipment via the ethernet or low voltage shielded cabling. Then the erratic problems would start. Some of the nose and hums talked about here may very well be a similar situation, not with computer components (maybe) but audio components,

I think the whole cross-system ground connection thing is what got the safety and code talk started. You basically made the same point I did, that crossing the grounds is a noise issue rather than a safety issue... it defeats the purpose of isolation.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1