Helpful ReplyGuide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
2016/02/11 14:59:54 (permalink)

Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards

There are several threads scattered around on the NI S series keyboards and Komplete Kontrol. I thought I would consolidate my findings into a single post in the hope of helping those using or considering buying a NI S series Keyboard.

I am only dealing with third party, non NKS  VSTi and Kontakt libraries as there are plenty of reviews and instructional videos that deal with integration with Komplete. This includes a good one by Groove 3. Information on non NKS integration is harder to find.

A word of caution some comments in reviews will refer to older versions of the Komplete Kontrol software and comments may not be totally accurate for the latest version. For example some reviews state that arpeggios and scales cannot be output from the KK plugin, this is not the case in the latest version.

My comments refer to version 1.5.1

General Comments.
When searching for a new controller keyboard, to replace my sick A-Pro 800 it became clear that whatever I bought would be a compromise.  I wanted “synth” type keys, not weighted piano type keys and this ruled out the 88 note versions, but in an ideal world I wanted more than 61 keys. Nothing matched those criteria.

As a heavy user of Kontakt the Native Instruments keyboards looked like they would meet my requirements most closely. I was particularly interested in the light guide mapping of keyboard zones.

Sometimes the light guide mapping of keyboard zones is a reminder why 61 keys is often too short when an instrument uses keyswitching.  So I will continue to use my AKAI LPK25 mini keyboard to supplement the S61 when I need real time access to keyswitches on certain instruments. Komplete Kontrol seems to handle the second MIDI input OK. Indeed keys on the second keyboard will even operate the scale, arpeggiator and chord modes.

The quality of the keyboard seems really good; the key bed feels better than my old A-Pro 800, which is also a nice key bed. My existing M-Audio expression and Hold pedals work without issue, but it worth noting the polarity of the hold pedal is the opposite to my A-Pro 800

The perform functions (scale, chord and arpeggio modes) were not on my list of requirements. It all seems to work as advertised and the scale can either be used as a guide or “mapped” so only notes in the scale can be played. I think they should add more scales and chords, (some have suggested user scales and chords).

The perform functions could be useful compositional tools, in Sonar chords and arpeggios appear in the MIDI track as the notes you have pressed on the keyboard. If you want the full MIDI it’s available on the MIDI out from the Komplete Kontrol plugin. This can be recorded to a second MIDI track for further editing.

Transport Controls in Sonar.
NI documentation indicates the Keyboard should be set up as a MCU surface however I could not get that to work. I found a solution in this thread http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3102650 Setting it up as a VS-100 surface seems to work. I have not tried to set anything up beyond transport controls.

Custom Mappings for Non NKS VSTi
Firstly, only 64 Bit VSTis can be loaded in the Komplete Kontrol software. When a VSTi is loaded in Komplete Kontrol the parameters will be assigned to the keyboards encoders. Depending on the VSTi the assignments may or may not be convenient, fortunately you can map your own templates. This video explains how to make custom templates https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIrlLzLEWDw

Additionally there is a sticky thread on the NI forums, this is rambling and confusing in places but I found a lot of it to be helpful. Users have posted their templates for a number of popular VSTis. https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/mapping-templates-for-non-nks-plugins.262959/

There does not seem to be a way of mapping key zones to the light guide in the Komplete Kontrol software for non NKS VSTis.

Mapping non NKS Kontakt Instruments. 
Until a preset has been saved these instruments have to be loaded in edit view. When you switch to edit view the full Kontakt GIU appears. I have not found a way to load an empty instance of Kontakt so I load any Kontakt instrument in the browser, enter edit mode, then delete it an load my chosen non NKS instrument.

As long as the developer has chosen to colour any zones or keyswitches on Kontakt’s virtual keyboard the light guide on the keyboard will light up with colours appropriate to the zones.

I could not workout how to assign encoders to parameters on Kontakt instruments. Its different to VSTis. B-Righteous provided the answer on the NI forums. “The parameter assignments are using VST host automation parameters.  Kontakt does not have anything assigned to host parameter IDs by default.  You have to open the Kontakt GUI and assign a knob to a host automation ID.  You do this by opening the automation tab in the upper left and dragging an ID to a knob.  Now it will appear as a parameter in KK.”

The numeric IDs correspond to the encoder numbers 0-7 are the eight encoders on page 1, 8-15 the eight on page 2 etc. Once mapped you will see a descriptive text under the virtual encoder in KK Software (and below the encoder on the keyboard). This text can be changed by unlocking the plug in panel and enabling editing. Anything too long will be abbreviated automatically.
This has to be done for each NKI you wish to map. I have retained the original NKI for all the ones I have edited saving the new one with a KK suffix.  A bit of thought is needed grouping parameters across the pages but once it’s done and saved in the NKI the mapping will always be recalled when you load the NKI in the KK software. Note that you can skip host parameter IDs and delete the corresponding virtual encoder. (the encoder on the keyboard will be disabled). This can be useful for separating groups of parameters etc.

Obviously it is much easier to do this for instruments that use the “snapshot” patch method than those that use multiple NKIs where each one will need to be edited. Of course not all instruments will really benefit from real time knob twiddling.

Parameters can be grouped by typing the name of the group on the line above the first encoder in the group. A dividing line is automatically added when you start a new group.

Once the host parameter assignments have been done, encoders have been renamed and any unused encoders or encoder pages have been deleted, save the NKI. Now go to the Komplete Kontrol file menu and select "Save As" and save the new pre-set.

The pre-set will now appear in the user tab of the KK browser, by default in the Kontakt bank. You can then assign meta data to the pre-set by going to the edit button on the bottom of the browser. This enables you to assign types and modes to aid filtering in the browser. You can also add the vendor name, author name and other comments.

I was pleasantly surprised to find I can now browse through the user pre-sets directly from the S61. I had assumed this feature was only available for NKS instruments.

See this post for more details inculding some screen shots

MIDI mode. 
Here the keyboard acts like any other keyboard controller. The Controller Editor software enables you to set up and load templates.

I suspect that a lot of the EastWest libraries will work better in MIDI mode as they rely heavily on keyswitching and that is not KK compatible.

It was not difficult to set up templates with key zones so the keyboard light guide can be used in MIDI mode. Of course the template will not change automatically so you need to load the template manually when you change instruments. As zones can be independently transposed it’s possible to transpose the key switches for some of the more awkward instruments such as those that have long gaps of unassigned keys between the switches and regular keys so that all the relevant keys can be displayed on the 61 note board.

For each template MIDI cc values can be assigned to each encoder, however unlike KK mode with its 16 pages of 8 encoders in MIDI mode it seems there are just two pages.

That's all for now. I may add more if something significant comes to light.

Edited 12 Feb - Saving Presets for non NKS Kontakt instruments.
Edited 15 Feb - some small revisions and note on 64 bit VSTi
post edited by Glyn Barnes - 2016/02/15 15:00:24

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
rivers88
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 328
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/02/11 18:36:19 (permalink)
Glyn - 
Thanks for taking the time to post this!

I'm still learning my way around my S61 and Komplete Kontrol, but so far I am really liking the combo!
Learning something new every time I power up the keyboard...

RR

lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/02/11 22:42:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rivers88 2016/02/18 19:43:47
Way to go! This is helpful. I'm going to keep this as a resource.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
Glyn Barnes
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/02/12 13:09:36 (permalink)
Thanks for the kind words.

I ran into an issue where my encoder configurations for the non NKS Kontakt instruments were either not remembering the deleted knobs and pages or in a few cases the descriptive text. It seems I was missing a step and probably making an incorrect assumption that the host automation parameters are stored in the NKI. The assumption was correct. One must save the NKI after assigning the host automation parameters.

Once you have it setup the way you want and saved the NKI you need to go to the file menu and save the preset using Save As. When you have done this the preset will appear in the user tab of the library. Once this is done one can call up the preset directly from the browser without having to enter edit mode. All the assignments now appear to be correctly remembered.

Once your preset is in the user section of the browser you can select it and categorise it for type (ie Guitar) and mode (ie Sample Based) and add more metadata in properties.

This is saved as a *.NKSN file. I believe this is a portable preset that can be sent to another user. If anyone wants to help test this PM me and if we have a library in common I will make a preset and send you the NKSN file for testing.
The preset is saved as a *.NKSN file. This file and the modified NKI will be needed to transfer the preset to another computer.

Edited to correct errors

post edited by Glyn Barnes - 2016/02/12 14:36:26

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Glyn Barnes
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/02/12 15:47:06 (permalink)
Post #1 updated - Blue Text

Glyn Barnes
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/02/15 14:22:21 (permalink)
Here are some screenshots - setting up Indiginus Renegade for Komplete Kontrol. This is post should be used to supplement post #1

Here we are in Komplete Kontrol edit mode and showing the first page of encoders, host automation parameters 000-007 I have elected to skip 007 to keep controls nicely grouped.

You usually need to edit the names below each encoder to make it more obvious. To get the headers you type in the text box above the first encoder in a group. When a second group is started the dividing line will automatically be added.

On the Keyboard it looks like this. You can see how the light guide shows the keyboard zone for up and down strums.

Note that the headers are now below the encoder lables.

For my second page I decided I wanted the on/off switches for all the effects, the parameters for the effects are on subsequent pages. One thing you will notice is in Kontakt switches don't seem to be allocated unique names, This seems to apply to all the libraries I have made Komplete Kontrol presets for.

Here you can see the page where i have mapped the parameters for the compressor and destortion pedals.

All in all I have assigned nine pages of encoders, this is quite a complex library.

Once you have saved the preset you can add meta data to make it easier to search by clicking the edit button at the bottom of the browser. NI, in their infinate wisdom do not have a "Electric Guitar" sub category so I have just categorised as "Guitar"

You can also asign "Mode" I used "Sample Based" for what its worth. In the properties you can add Vendor information etc.

Bank could be useful but I have not yet found out if or how presets can be grouped in a bank, if so its not obvious and there is much discussion on the NI forum.

And here is the final result showing the user section of the browser, filtered on guitar. The user section can be browsed from the S-Series keyboard just like the "factory" section. However it does not seem possible to call up user and factory patches simultaneously.

post edited by Glyn Barnes - 2016/02/16 03:54:49

Glyn Barnes
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/02/15 15:01:15 (permalink)
I have made further edits to the first post (in Brown)

ØSkald
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1248
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/02/17 12:58:08 (permalink)
great.

Asus TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, Bugera Trirec Infinium, Cakewalk Platinum, Corsair RM750 750W, Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB, Genelec 6010A with 5040A sub, Ibanez AEG10II BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27E BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR28FE BK, Ibanez RG550 RF, Ibanez RG570 FMCS, Ibanez SR506 BM, Intel Core i7 8700K, USB, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate with Kontrol S61, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD, Samsung SSDs 840 EVO 1TB, Toontrack EZdrummer 2, Toontrack EZMix 2, Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, UA Apollo Twin Duo, Windows 10 Pro
lawajava
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/02/17 20:03:13 (permalink)
Thanks Glyn. Great for you to take notes like that and leave us with your trailblazer bread crumbs to follow.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/02/18 14:14:50 (permalink)
Great job!

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
pfl
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/02/19 20:52:05 (permalink)
Just picked up an S49. Thanks for helping to flatten the learning curve.
Glyn Barnes
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/02/20 12:39:06 (permalink)
I am making good progress sorting all my third party Kontakt instruments and having a lot of fun re-discovering things on the way. Also when assigning the host automation I have found a lot of libraries to be more versatile than I had previously imagined.

So a few of things on the down side. There may be user error involved but I don't think these are possible but if anyone knows the way........

• Adding user defined key zones to the light guide for non NKS VSTis
  • Make a KK preset for a Kontakt multi.
  • Organise third party, non NKS Kontakt instruments into banks.
  • Copy Host automation asignments and KK presets to another NKI, this would be a major time saver for libraries were presets are saved as different NKI files.
  • Remove a host automation assignment in Kontakt. (I am sure I am missing something, I can't believe its not possible.)

Glyn Barnes
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/02/21 11:12:21 (permalink)
Another piece of the jigsaw has fallen into place. Its possible to add your own "type" tags in the browser. For example I was able to add "Mellotron" and "String Machine" to the Piano/Keys tag so I don't have to use "other" for these. I have also added electronic piano to seperate things like RMI piano presets from Rhodes and Wurlies and created an e-Grand tag.

I have also expanded the plucked strings section and will be working on others.

"Banks" for 3rd party Kontakt libraries works for instruments that use presets or snapshots, for example Hollow Sun's RMI Piano. BUT in other cases every NKI becomes its own bank, very messy!

Glyn Barnes
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/02/22 09:32:12 (permalink)
If you have a library that uses snapshots or the older preset selection from a menu in the NKI you can, after the inital setup save a new KK preset for each of the snapshots.

This will appear as a bank in the user section of the menu. For example Hollow Sun's RMI Electra Piano appears as a bank. Clicking on that bank will reveal all the presets, just as it would with a full NKS compliant library.

ProjectM
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3941
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/02/23 11:32:28 (permalink)
Damn... I had sworn off these controllers. But I have come across one for a VERY reasonable price.... and this post.... bye bye money....

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
ProjectM
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/02/24 07:11:58 (permalink)
Money gone, package in the mail, bookmarked this thread. Cheers

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
Glyn Barnes
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/02/24 18:44:35 (permalink)
ProjectM
Money gone, package in the mail, bookmarked this thread. Cheers
Watch this space. I have learnt a lot more and I will be adding it when I get the chance.

ProjectM
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/02/25 09:44:37 (permalink)
Glyn Barnes
Watch this space. I have learnt a lot more and I will be adding it when I get the chance.

I most certainly will! This thread is awesome! Well done, and thank you! I'll be picking up my S61 later today

Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
Glyn Barnes
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/02/25 14:42:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mesh 2016/02/25 15:05:53
Transfering a Komplete Kontrol preset for a third party Kontakt instrument to another computer.

This took a bit of trail and error but it should work. I have tested it by moving the library folder to different locations on my computer but I have not tested it on a second computer.

Once you have saved you preset in Komplete Kontrol look in the folder
C:/Users/[user name]/Documents/Native  Instruments/User Content/Kontakt/  
You should see a sub-folder with the name of your instrument. In the folder should be a *.NKSN (if you have saved several pre-sets from the same NKI file there will be more than one.)

Copy this folder and its contents to C:/Users/[user name]/Documents/Native  Instruments/User Content/Kontakt/ on the second computer.

You will need to have the library installed on the second computer, Copy the related NKI file (this is be the one where you assigned any host automation) to the library on the new computer.

Open Komplete Kontrol software on computer 2. It should detect the new NKSN file and it will show up in the USER section of the browser, if not make sure C:/Users/[user name]/Documents/Native  Instruments/User Content is in the scan path (its default so it should be, but....)

Open the preset from the browser, unless the folder structure and names are identical on both computers you will see the Kontakt missing files dialogue. You will need to run this twice, first to find the NKI file and then to find the samples. Once the samples have been loaded make sure you are in Komplete Kontrol's edit view (ie the full Kontakt interface is visible) and re-save the NKI, then go to Komplete Kontrol's file menu and re-save the preset (NKSN) file.

Next time the preset should load without issues.

Bear in mind the NKSN file contains a path to the NKI file so its important not to rename the NKI.

Glyn Barnes
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/03/01 10:33:38 (permalink)
After much consideration I have decided to add tags for each developer in the "Modes" tab of the user content browser as a partial work around for inability to edit banks. I have prefixed each developers name with a Z so they appear below the NI modes. This does help with filtering once the number of items in the browser gets very large. Remenber its not just how many libraries you have its how may presets you have tagged.

I used the alternate modulation strip modes for the first time today. Sonic Couture's Omnichord has a patch you strum using the modulation comtrol. It was fun setting the mod strip to "ball" mode and listening to the resulting arpeggios. I am still not sure where else I may want to use this feature.

In post 12 i said I could not see how to remove a assigned host automation parameter. Of course the solution is blinding obvious. You use the "Remove" button in the bottom right corner of the "auto" pane.  In my defence I do need to scroll down to see it!

I need to rewrite the first post to include all my recent findings when I get time.

Glyn Barnes
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/03/01 15:00:09 (permalink)
With all the attention I have given to setting up my Kontakt third party libraries for Komplete Kontrol I had not checked how well the knob twiddeling would be captured in Sonar. Promped by a question on the NI forums where someone was having problems getting it to work in Acid I thought I had better give it a go.

No issues. Just enable write automation in the Komplet Kontrol VST header and twiddle away. Seems to work a treat. as long as you remember to enable read automation on playback
post edited by Glyn Barnes - 2016/03/01 15:21:15

Glyn Barnes
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/03/03 15:51:25 (permalink)
I took a rest form my Kontakt instruments today and made a template for Rapture Pro. There are so many parameters I was initally at a loss. In the end I decided to go the minimalist route and Just map the 8 macros that get displayed on the instrument page.

My reasoning, Cakewalk has already assigned the most useful parameters for any given patch to these macros so they are the ones you are most likley to want to alter during a preformance. It seems to work.

Detaled sound design is probably best done on the PC screen.

I will not be saving the patches as this will have to be done manually, one by one, and there are hunderds of them. I may decide to save some of my favourites at a later stage but in the meantime I will use Rapture Pro's browser.

I also made a template for the Novation Bass Station VSti. This was straight forward, I just renamed the parameters for clarity. I am far more likley to use this synth now.

cecelius2
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1494
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/03/20 00:08:33 (permalink)
Thanks Glyn for all this helpful information, and for the PM's that answered my questions about its MIDI mode and using a regular midi keyboard controller with traditional mod wheels to expand the KK.

Glyn Barnes
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/03/21 16:37:44 (permalink)
cecelius2
Thanks Glyn for all this helpful information, and for the PM's that answered my questions about its MIDI mode and using a regular midi keyboard controller with traditional mod wheels to expand the KK.

For the benefit of others here is more info before I get around to updating the main post. The question was “could the modulation and pitch bend wheels on a second (non-NI) keyboard be used in place of the touch strips?” The answer is yes, I connected my old A-Pro up and I was able to use the mod and pitch-bend without issue.

I was dubious about the touch strips but in practice I have found them to be perfectly functional. The modulation strip overcomes that age old quandary, sprung or un-sprung. It can work in either mode and do a few more things besides! (But I still like the Roland style combined pitch-bend and modulation leaver on the A-Pro for faux guitar solos!)

After testing this I decided to try Vintage Organs with the two keyboard as two manuals. I set the S61 to MIDI channel 1 and the A-Pro to channel 2. With VO in MIDI split mode (you need to switch the MIDI in to OMNI too) I have the upper manual on the S61 and the lower on the A-Pro. Pre-set key switches are the lower octave of the S61 and the drawbars (for both manuals) and other controls can be controlled from the S61 encoders. Not as good as real drawbars but still pretty handy.

The swell pedal is connected into the S61 and works as intended. The sustain pedal is assigned to the rotary speed. It’s all very playable.

This is splitting hairs but it did reveal one slight issue in the way NI have it set up. On the M3 the key colour coding on the S61 does not follow the actual upper manual notes, the low octave is still lit even though it’s not relevant to the upper manual, only the lower. On the C3 and B3 organs this does not happen because the range of the two manuals is the same.

Fleer
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8715
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/03/26 11:46:58 (permalink)
Glyn, allow me to thank you for all you're doing here. Highly appreciated.

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
ProjectM
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/03/30 04:54:50 (permalink)
I'm really liking this keyboard!!

This thread makes it even more awesome!

Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
cecelius2
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/04/02 19:39:03 (permalink)
Just got a new S61 from GC. I am elated.  I had been watching to see if GC or anyone ever discounted it, but sadly I never found the Komplete Kontrol keyboards ever discounted.  Even when GC sent 15% off discount coupons in the past, the NI products were always "excluded."  So this weekend GC sent a coupon for trade-in/trade-ups, and I saw the NI products were not excluded.  I dug out an old used Korg microkey that I used with a laptop now and then (only paid $25 for it on craigslist); I took it to GC expecting them to say "no".  To my surprise they gave me 15% off and a few extra dollars.  I now own a S61 and got it for under $595!!

Now I am reviewing this great thread that Glyn has posted and will use it as a guide to get the S61 up and running.

lawajava
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/04/02 20:44:36 (permalink)
Yeah, it's a fantastic keyboard for recording purposes and just for the sheer fun of playing.

I've really valued what Glyn has taken the time to experiment with and share with us. I have this thread bookmarked for repeat reading.

Glyn Barnes
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/04/04 15:14:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Ripwolf 2016/05/12 22:41:03
Thanks for the kind comments and apologies for those waiting for my promised re-write / consolidation. I still plan to do so.

It’s unfortunate that Rapture Pro’s and other non NKS VSTi's pre-sets can’t be read and displayed in Komplete Kontrol. There is no way around this short of saving each pre-set manually in Komplete Kontrol which would be madness, so it’s back to the mouse and screen to use the Rapture Pro browser. One could however save ones favourite patches, or a “playlist” of patches one could scroll through from the keyboard in a performance.

Making a playlist should be reasonably straight forward. I will be trying this soon. Save a preset for each sound (can be from any VSTi or Kontakt library). Prefix the preset name wit 001, 002 etc. so they appear in order. Make a tag in "Modes" with a name for the playlist so you can filter just the playlist. One should then be able to move through the sounds from the keyboard.
post edited by Glyn Barnes - 2016/04/04 16:11:10

cecelius2
Re: Guide to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol Keyboards 2016/05/02 23:45:55 (permalink)
Just found a way to print the actual chord notes on the piano roll in the midi track when in chord mode and using chord presets.  If you "enable midi out" when inserting the Komplete Kontrol (vst track) in Sonar, when you play single note chords on the keyboard and use the chord presets, it actually prints all of the actual chords in the midi track that is driving the Kompete Kontrol software (assuming that one uses a separate midi track option as well).  So, I then double checked to see if it would print the actual chord notes if I did not enable midi out, but it only printed the individual note actually played on the midi track.  

So, if you want to edit the chords in chord mode after you have recorded them, you can first "enable midi out" when inserting the Komplete Kontrol software, and it will print the various chord notes in the piano roll for midi editing.

[Edit:  Let me add that "enabling midi out" also allows the arpeggiator notes from  KK to be displayed/printed on the midi track/piano roll.]
post edited by cecelius2 - 2016/05/05 21:21:19

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1