Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
yellowcake64
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 186
2014/08/18 08:21:12 (permalink)

Guitar amp simulator software

Hi folks
Now I know that nothing can realistically compete with miked up guitar and valve amp, but I'm looking at investing in some guitar/bass simulation software. I'm about to move house soon and space will be at a premium so this is my best option. 

I'm currently using X2 but will be upgrading to X3 Producer soon. I know that TH2 (or a stripped version of it) is included with the software but I note on the www.overloud.com website, they're offering a TH2+Mark Studio 2 bundle for £217. Seems reasonable.

So a couple of questions if I may: would you recommend the Overloud bundle or are there any other products on the market that you consider to be better? Also, what restrictions does the TH2 software bundled with X3 have compared to the full product?

Thanks for your help.
YC 

Yellowcake
Sonar Platinum; Core i7 4790K Quad core 16GB DDR 3 RAM; Windows 10 (64-bit); Tascam US-4x4 interface; Roland Juno D synth; KRK Rokit 6 monitors; V-Amp2; V-Amp Bass.
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Guitar amp simulator software 2014/08/18 08:52:47 (permalink)
I am not a guitarist, I only "dabble", I'm pianist by profession so keep that in mind for my comments. I think every ampsim has its own strengths. The extra Randall and Brunetti cabs and heads that you get with TH2 are quite good I would say, probably better than what's originally included. On the whole I'm more comfortable with higher gain sounds on TH2 than "bluesy overdrives". The split stereo is well done and logically implemented. My personal favorite is Scuffham S-Gear 2, although it has limited options and doesn't really try to emulate specific cabs per se. It just sounds and feels the best, to me. Guitar Rig has a bunch of useful fx/stomp boxes. I really like Amplitube Fender. Haven't done much with Waves GR3 and I only have a basic version of Revalver that I haven't looked at.

Depending on your needs I'd at least check out Scuffham S-Gear 2, you can freely demo it for two weeks at least and it's not that expensive to begin with.

Also, Cakewalk sometimes offers TH2 upgrades with a discount (which is when I jumped in) so don't go for that bundle just yet.
yellowcake64
Re: Guitar amp simulator software 2014/08/18 09:10:33 (permalink)
Thanks. Been hearing quite a lot about the Scuffham S-Gear of late. Must be a decent product. I think what appeals most about Overloud is the fact that the package includes products for guitar and bass in a convenient bundle.  

I'll keep my options open for now. May even stick with my trusty old Behringer V-Amp2 bass and guitar units :-)

Yellowcake
Sonar Platinum; Core i7 4790K Quad core 16GB DDR 3 RAM; Windows 10 (64-bit); Tascam US-4x4 interface; Roland Juno D synth; KRK Rokit 6 monitors; V-Amp2; V-Amp Bass.
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Guitar amp simulator software 2014/08/18 10:15:17 (permalink)
I use and like Guitar Rig 5, and the TH2 has some good sounds as well.  There are some decent stock sounds, but there are also a bunch that I couldn't imagine in a million years choosing to use.  Fortunately, they can all be tweaked as needed.  NI also has a Guitar Rig user forum, and that has tons of banks of sounds built and freely shared by that community.

Nothing beats a real amp, though my neighbors would surely disagree.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
MarioD
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 901
Re: Guitar amp simulator software 2014/08/18 10:18:11 (permalink)
I have a V-Amp Pro but I rarely use it anymore.  I have had very satisfying results with Amplitude 3.  Amplitude 3 comes with some very nice amps, cabinets, and effects but when there was a sale I purchased the Fender and Ampeg amp add ons for it.  Now I have everything covered for almost any style that I want to play.

Like it already has been said each amp emulation product has it pluses and misses so be sure to check out the demos and free products.

The reason people say the vinyl sounds better is because the music was better.

Sonar Platinum, Intel i7 –2600 CPU @ 3.2 GHz, 16 GB ram, 2x2TB internal drives and 1 1TB internal drive, Radeon HD 5570 video card, HP 25" monitor,
Roland Octa Capture, MOTU Midi Express 128, Win 10 Pro

www.soundcloud.com/Mario_Guitar
yellowcake64
Re: Guitar amp simulator software 2014/08/18 10:28:37 (permalink)
I think what's emerging here is the fact that there's no clear winner. Everyone seems to have their favourites!

Bob I'm in the same boat - I don't have the room that I once had and I don't want to annoy the neighbours. Plus buying a decent small valve amp and effects would be pretty expensive. I'm really looking for a self-contained, compact solution. 
YC

Yellowcake
Sanderxpander
Re: Guitar amp simulator software 2014/08/18 10:38:47 (permalink)
Exactly :)
So try out a lot!
PH68
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 564
Re: Guitar amp simulator software 2014/08/18 12:56:53 (permalink)
For the past few years I've used Flying Haggis from dB Audioware
http://www.db-audioware.com/flying-haggis

Works well as a stand alone and in Sonar.

~ Cakewalk ~ Arturia ~ Waves ~ Overloud ~ Windows ~
Guitarpima
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4125
Re: Guitar amp simulator software 2014/08/18 13:10:27 (permalink)
I hate amp sims. They all sound equally as bad or good as you can make them. Some will disagree with me here but looking at your soundcard, you probably won't like them either. I did a remix for someone on this forum and he used GR5 and I changed them to Amplitube 3 and got good results. I am left with several thoughts on it though.

1. How the guitar is input is very crucial.
2. Active pick ups don't sound as good as passive.

I think a AI with a dedicated instrument input would do better than a mic/line input. My Octa-Capture doesn't seem to give me good results, or I'm just to spoiled by valves. I guess I just don't like them. Though I do use Ampeg SVX within Amplitube 3. I mix it with the direct input though I would love a good bass amp.

There is another option. I use a Blackstar HT-5 and it has an emulated output. I use that and get better results than an amp sim. There is a HT 1. I got the 5 because of the effects loop. You can use the send, from the effects loop, and input that signal as well as the emulated line out. There is software called "Torpedo", or something like that, where you can use the signal from the send and just use cab sims which are impulses rather than models. Impulses are convolution so they use more CPU. I haven't tried it with Torpedo but I have Pod Farm as well and you can use just the cabs with Pod Farm. It did pretty well.

HTH

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
wizard71
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 836
Re: Guitar amp simulator software 2014/08/18 13:18:17 (permalink)
Scuffham for Guitar Amplitubes Ampeg svx for bass gets my vote. About £100 for both combined.(I also like softube bass amp room).
I like guitar rig 5 pro for their effects, not keen on amplitube for guitars apart from Fender. TH2 not worth the money IMO.

Someone somewhere coined it quite nicely by saying 'All amp sims are great, All amp sims Suck'.

Depends what you want. Guitar isn't my first instrument, but for me Scuffham is the only one that responds to every touch and makes me feel like I am actually playing a guitar through an amp. Its also has way way more lovers than haters compared to the others which seem to have a real divided opinion. I spent ages looking/researching for just the same thing as you are.

Best bet it just demo as many as possible and see which one makes you feel alive when you are playing it.

Happy Hunting

Bibs

http://www.youtube.com/SpaceTimeAces
https://soundcloud.com/space-time-aces
Sonar Platinum - Win 8.1 x64 - Haswell 4770k - ASrock Z87 pro3 - 32gb ram - Fractal design R4 case - 3x HDD 1 USB 2.0 external 1x cr M4 ssd for samples - Octa-capture - Sontronics Aria - Sontronics STC-1s - BX8 monitors - ARC 2 system - Kawai CA63 piano - Kawai MP6 Stage piano - Fender custom Telecaster FMT - Yamaha LL6 - Fender P bass

sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Guitar amp simulator software 2014/08/18 13:20:11 (permalink)
I think a lot depends on your guitar and playing style. For me and my Telecaster neither Guitar Rig or TH2 has wowed me as much as Amplitube Fender (or the Orange and Dr-Z amps I've added to it), but I've been wowed by them after hearing different guitars through them. Having said that, I still use Guitar Rig and TH2 for the effects and stomp boxes - you can get some insane chains going in GR and TH2 has an awesome tremolo pedal I use all the time.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Guitar amp simulator software 2014/08/18 13:44:17 (permalink)
wizard71
Someone somewhere coined it quite nicely by saying 'All amp sims are great, All amp sims Suck'.

That was me   My experience is that you have to do a lot of work with amp sims to make them sound good. They're not as plug-and-play as the hype might lead you to think. Just as it takes time in the studio to set up the amp, find the right place in the room, choose the right mic, mic position, EQ during mixing, etc. you have to work on getting a good sound with amp sims.

That said, my goal with amp sims isn't to re-create existing amps, but to create idealized amp sounds - in other words, the amps I hear in my head, not the ones on the floor at GC. The only way I'm able to do that is with sims.

I'm looking forward to checking out ReValver 4, it looked pretty promising when I saw an early version at Frankfurt Messe. Meanwhile, each sim has its own character...just like real amps. You can get free versions of POD Farm, Guitar Rig, and Amplitude that are basic, but with all three of them you have access to quite a few cool sounds. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
hockeyjx
  • Total Posts : 839
Re: Guitar amp simulator software 2014/08/18 13:53:30 (permalink)
I actually prefer Guitar Rig/S-Gear/AmplitTube to my real rig ...and I've been playing for decades. When I plug in and use GR5, it inspires me to play. None of my friends (some that make/record music, some casual listeners) could consistently pick out a sim in a mix. And I like the way I can totally change parameters down the road.

But if you are a purist, or have a defined sound to your ears that only a mic'd amp can produce, then you need to go old school.

If you are flexible, the sim route may be for you.  

Intel i7 950 Proc, Asus Sabertooth x58 MB, 2 Crucial 128GB SSDs and Seagate 1TBGB drive, 12GB Corsair 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 Memory, Nvidia GeForece 8400 Dual Monitor vid card
Cooler Master Silent Pro 700w Power Supply, Cooler Master Sileo 500

Win 7 64 bit, SPlat 64-bit, Komplete 10 Ultimate, AmpliTube3 and AD2

Tascam FW-1884 and AKAI MPK-49
wizard71
  • Total Posts : 836
Re: Guitar amp simulator software 2014/08/18 14:02:45 (permalink)
Anderton
wizard71

That was me    

Thank god i didnt pretend it was mine ;)

To be honest, I would have no idea if they sounded like the amps/cabs/mics they were simulating or not. Im sure i am not alone here, so its easy to fall for the marketing hype, especially when its claimed you can sound just like your 'Hero'. As far as im concerned, you could have exactly the same equipment and guitar but still sound nothing like it because you are the one with the pick, not your hero. Its certainly true with a piano.

I'm guessing that not many have the luxury of really knowing how accurate these sims really are so it has to be based on whatever does it for you I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/SpaceTimeAces
https://soundcloud.com/space-time-aces
Sonar Platinum - Win 8.1 x64 - Haswell 4770k - ASrock Z87 pro3 - 32gb ram - Fractal design R4 case - 3x HDD 1 USB 2.0 external 1x cr M4 ssd for samples - Octa-capture - Sontronics Aria - Sontronics STC-1s - BX8 monitors - ARC 2 system - Kawai CA63 piano - Kawai MP6 Stage piano - Fender custom Telecaster FMT - Yamaha LL6 - Fender P bass

Anderton
Re: Guitar amp simulator software 2014/08/18 14:13:14 (permalink)
wizard71
To be honest, I would have no idea if they sounded like the amps/cabs/mics they were simulating or not.

Another issue that's often overlooked is these amps were analog, generally used tubes (which age over time), and often substituted components for different production runs. So sometimes even the "real" amps didn't sound like the real amps.

This is why I don't want a Marshall sound per se, but the sound of an ideal Marshall that is a composite of all things Marshall.

When Line 6 was doing the POD Farm models they'd typically get several amps of the same model, and choose one as a favorite. That would be the one they modeled.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Sanderxpander
Re: Guitar amp simulator software 2014/08/18 15:01:12 (permalink)
Having worked in a boutique guitar shop, watching endless customers obsess over the age of the speakers in the cabs or whether an amp head was point-to-point wired or not (not to mention which brand of tubes was used), I can only agree. Again, I'm not a guitarist either, and I don't have that much experience playing live through many different amps. I just feel S-Gear most often lets me find the sound I have in my head. It's just skimpy on fx but there's so many other options there that I don't really mind.
rsinger
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 387
Re: Guitar amp simulator software 2014/08/18 15:22:44 (permalink)
I have TH2 (upgrade), GR 5, and S-Gear. I find myself going for S-Gear most of the time, but they all have their strengths and weaknesses and I wouldn't get rid of any of them.

Sonar Platinum, 64 bit, win 7 pro - 64 bit 
Core i7 3770k 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gb Ram, 480Gb + 256Gb SSDs, 1 Tb Velociraptor, Echo AudioFire4

Anderton
Re: Guitar amp simulator software 2014/08/18 15:42:56 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
I just feel S-Gear most often lets me find the sound I have in my head. It's just skimpy on fx but there's so many other options there that I don't really mind.

I think S-Gear is a fine example of why limiting your options sometimes produces the best results. 

Sanderxpander
Re: Guitar amp simulator software 2014/08/18 16:18:09 (permalink)
Possibly, although Even if I limit myself to just amp heads and cabs in other sims I often end up with S-Gear. I agree about tweaking though - you can get an acceptable sound with most sims I think.
Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
Re: Guitar amp simulator software 2014/08/18 16:54:31 (permalink)
For me I find there are great sounds to be had with all the softwares if they're used "well" if you have the right gear and the right room, live mic(s) on an amp is great. Using the virtuals for me is a challenge at learning to use different tools to accomplish a familiar job. The more I use them, the more I like the results I get. I do plenty of live amp mics in many situations, but not all.

The TH2 is very powerful and capable, but I find I prefer the results I'm getting with Amplitube 3 Free to which I've added a few amps, cabinets, and mics. I also own an old ART SGX 2000 Express which I use as my live rig. I've always had excellent results with direct out of this and then sometimes adding a virtual cabinet. A lot depends on the kind of sounds you're looking for as well

Even with all the sophisticated modeling, it's sometimes hard for the ear to remember that the virtualization is being played back in full range monitors, not guitar speakers, so getting it to sound as though it's coming through guitar speakers is a key. They do not have the high end that studio monitors do. So I find the virtuals are consistently too bright and rolling off the top quite a bit near 4k or so with a low pass or shelving EQ makes a world of difference...

Input... Yeah that's a tougher one. An instrument input is the best choice if you have it but what impedance value is has is still to be questioned by each user to their own personal taste... Matching a guitar to an amp is much the same thing as some guitars are hotter and some inputs are more sensitive...

In the end, we're making art... If you carve a sound you like with your choice of tool, it works! Setting an amp is as unique virtually as it is in the physical world...

Keni

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
Re: Guitar amp simulator software 2014/08/18 17:06:20 (permalink)
sharke
I think a lot depends on your guitar and playing style. For me and my Telecaster neither Guitar Rig or TH2 has wowed me as much as Amplitube Fender (or the Orange and Dr-Z amps I've added to it), but I've been wowed by them after hearing different guitars through them. Having said that, I still use Guitar Rig and TH2 for the effects and stomp boxes - you can get some insane chains going in GR and TH2 has an awesome tremolo pedal I use all the time.

I'm all on the same page as Sharke.

I'm wowed by Amplitube. There's a summer special going on now for just another week or so where you can get all the offerings for Amplitube for half off. It's a great deal. As Sharke says, with Amplitube, the Fender add-on, Orange, and Slash the sound is really terrific.

That said, like Sharke, I use Guitar Rig 5, PodFarm, and Th2 as well for various things. But for me, Amplitube is my go to for sure. There's also a very helpful amount of free tutorials on it, and an excellent one on Groove3 - all of which improve getting the most out of it.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
Anderton
Re: Guitar amp simulator software 2014/08/18 17:09:27 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
Possibly, although Even if I limit myself to just amp heads and cabs in other sims I often end up with S-Gear. I agree about tweaking though - you can get an acceptable sound with most sims I think.

What I meant was more along the lines of doing a few things really well instead of trying to do everything. That said, for EDM guitar nothing beats Guitar Rig thanks to all the modulation/sync options - something you'd never find in a Vox AC30 anyway 

bz2838
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 366
Re: Guitar amp simulator software 2014/08/18 17:41:47 (permalink)
I wouldn't count out Waves Guitar 3, they can be made to sound really nice!

Purrrfect Audio:  Intel i7 7700k (Kabylake), 32Gig DDR4/2133, Windows 10x64 Pro, USB RME Babyface, Sonar Platinum Current
Anderton
Re: Guitar amp simulator software 2014/08/18 18:00:07 (permalink)
bz2838
I wouldn't count out Waves Guitar 3, they can be made to sound really nice!

In particular I think the Waves bass cabinets are outstanding. Also, what a lot of people don't know is they're using very similar algorithms for the fX as for their studio-oriented plug-ins.

tagruvto
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 221
Re: Guitar amp simulator software 2014/08/18 18:05:14 (permalink)
While most, if not all, of the above discussion is focused on guitar - it's nice to know that
bass players also have some decent emulation software to play with too. 

I just had the opportunity to play with Overloud's Mark Studio 2 and was very pleasantly surprised by how good it sounds and how easy it was to use.  I would encourage anyone with even a passing interest in getting a better recorded bass sound to try it ( and any other brands) out. 

i7-4770 CPU @3.40 GHZ
16.0 GB RAM
Widows 10   64-bit
SONAR Platinum
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
BenMMusTech
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2606
Re: Guitar amp simulator software 2014/08/18 18:25:00 (permalink)
I'm still using guitar rig 4, nothing comes even close in regards to the extra effects, which come with the amp sims.  One thing though...I would get a tube pre amp to patch your guitar into.  The amount of extra wow and sizzle not to mention sustain that a tube pre amp gives will knock your socks off.  Now I will be laughed at but I use to use the behringer ultra gain, 90 bucks.  Hell it was noisy but it sounded like a guitar amp and the extra hum and fizzle that it created gets buried in the mix (or a George Harrison once said "will bury it in the mix...see the in the joke there) once it's hidden in the mix that extra bit of noise can create a bit of extra harmonic resonance.  And even the pros will have to agree with me it's all about the harmonic resonance.

Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
http://1331.space/
https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
yellowcake64
Re: Guitar amp simulator software 2014/08/18 18:38:52 (permalink)
Guys, many thanks. Some great information, comments and definitely food for thought! As I observed earlier there's a real spread of opinion here - nothing really rises to the top and nothing really sinks to the bottom. All seem reasonable products - it's all down to personal taste in the end!

Thanks again
YC

Yellowcake
lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
Re: Guitar amp simulator software 2014/08/18 20:40:36 (permalink)
Well, I'll restate. Having lots of available free tutorials, samples on the Web, and professional tutorials can greatly improve the value and experience you get from any of these amp sims. In that regard, there is an ample variety of all that available for Amplitube. Others, even Guitar Rig, do not nearly have as many tips and resources easily findable.

I would suggest you look further into Amplitube (even though as a Sonar user I appreciate the included TH2).

Here's an example of a non vendor demo of someone using Amplitube Orange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg6SaKk0mms

It helps to see / hear the tool in use on a song.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
sharke
Re: Guitar amp simulator software 2014/08/18 22:23:17 (permalink)
lawajava
sharke

I'm all on the same page as Sharke.

I'm wowed by Amplitube. There's a summer special going on now for just another week or so where you can get all the offerings for Amplitube for half off. It's a great deal. As Sharke says, with Amplitube, the Fender add-on, Orange, and Slash the sound is really terrific.

That said, like Sharke, I use Guitar Rig 5, PodFarm, and Th2 as well for various things. But for me, Amplitube is my go to for sure. There's also a very helpful amount of free tutorials on it, and an excellent one on Groove3 - all of which improve getting the most out of it.

I did not realize there was an Amplitube Groove3 course, will have to check that out. Having said that, I did read the manual from front to back on the subway a few days ago (nothing like reading a manual when you're nowhere near the thing it's explaining ) and I think I pretty much understand it all. I've never read the manual for Guitar Rig or TH2 - mind you I've really enjoyed figuring them out on my own. I can't tell you how buzzed I was when I first worked out how to set up the modifiers in Guitar Rig - there's so much you can do with them and you can set up some excellent rhythmic effects chains for synths etc. The stomps in TH2 are great and I think I prefer its wah pedals to the Guitar Rig ones. I really like the Brunetti amps in TH2 as well, but I always felt they needed a warmer tone than my Tele to really shine. I'd love to use some of the high gain amps in GR and TH2 but I think I'll leave that for the day when I have a guitar with less noisy pickups (Tele's don't do thrash )

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
sharke
Re: Guitar amp simulator software 2014/08/18 22:26:45 (permalink)
Keni
Even with all the sophisticated modeling, it's sometimes hard for the ear to remember that the virtualization is being played back in full range monitors, not guitar speakers, so getting it to sound as though it's coming through guitar speakers is a key. They do not have the high end that studio monitors do. So I find the virtuals are consistently too bright and rolling off the top quite a bit near 4k or so with a low pass or shelving EQ makes a world of difference...
Keni

I've thought about this too, but I guess at the end of the day these amp sims are more suited toward recording guitar, not sitting around jamming. In that respect, even if you're miking up a sweet valve amp and hearing a great sound out of it, you're eventually going to end up listening to it through monitors (or consumer speakers/cans when it's finished). 

James
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1