Helpful ReplyHELP SPREAD THE WORD!

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
fresh101
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 772
2018/04/10 14:32:17 (permalink)

HELP SPREAD THE WORD!

Now that Cakewalk is back and free, this is a golden opportunity to increase the user base. Reaper and Fl studio have benefited greatly over the last few years from a surge of new users. We could easily do the same. This will also be very beneficial for Bandlab as it will increase its membership expanding it's online music community greatly. Some of you have already gotten friends who were on the fence to come onboard, giving you better collaborative possibilities. This is great. We need more of that. Share on your social media, tell your friends and co-workers, etc.  Nowadays it's smart to have a secondary or backup DAW but usually that means spending $300~$1200 twice for pro level software. Now you can have a consistently top 10, 4-5 star rated, 30 year feature forward vet of a DAW for free. As your primary or backup Daw without breaking the bank on 2 setups.  It's a no brainer when you look at it that way. Let's help push this idea together guys!

#cakewalk4ever. 
tecknot
  • Total Posts : 766
Re: HELP SPREAD THE WORD! 2018/04/10 16:13:23 (permalink)
Yeah, I posted the news in the Software forum, but it seems the consensus was that they all already knew.

Just kidding, I kid.

Kind regards,

tecknot
P.S.  But I really did post the news there, really!
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: HELP SPREAD THE WORD! 2018/04/10 19:23:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2018/04/11 15:04:03
I told my mum, my nan, my 7yr old nephew, my 2 yr old niece, the postman and a man who fell off his bike outside where I was working today. They all said that they weren't really interested  in installing it if there was no 32-bit version.
fresh101
Re: HELP SPREAD THE WORD! 2018/04/10 22:15:10 (permalink)
All kidding aside this is very serious. The user base HAS to grow in order for this to succeed. Both Cakewalk and Bandlab need the growth in order to make the acquisition worth wild for us and them. Besides a $600 DAW for free shouldn't be a hard sell.
Jesse G
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4282
Re: HELP SPREAD THE WORD! 2018/04/10 22:18:08 (permalink)
paulo
I told my mum, my nan, my 7yr old nephew, my 2 yr old niece, the postman and a man who fell off his bike outside where I was working today. They all said that they weren't really interested  in installing it if there was no 32-bit version.

Peace,
Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
==============================
Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: HELP SPREAD THE WORD! 2018/04/10 22:41:10 (permalink)
Cakewalk by Bandlab is more like Sonar Artist which is worth $100. It is not worth $600. Even Splat never was that much. It was Splats extra 3rd part content that made it worth $400. 

I don't know how many people I told about the free version of Home Studio followed through and downloaded a copy. I posted it on a few music forums and mentioned it here a lot.  I'd be real curious on how many grabbed that.  Many who already had Splat even snagged a copy just because. I set a friend up with it who had been struggling with X1 LE and now I'll set them up with CbB too. 

The Home Studio deal did come with Big Fish Loops which was said to be worth $100 so that was about a $150 free givaway so in some way was equal.  

This free givaway has been well advertised as it's been seen in some pretty big Mags like SOS. 
If they keep it free I would think in a short while everyone will be aware of this. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

fresh101
Re: HELP SPREAD THE WORD! 2018/04/10 23:27:16 (permalink)
Cactus Music
Cakewalk by Bandlab is more like Sonar Artist which is worth $100. It is not worth $600. Even Splat never was that much. It was Splats extra 3rd part content that made it worth $400. 

That's really not the point. Besides I never bought a version Cakewalk for the extra content. To me it always was just that...extra.
Cactus Music

This free givaway has been well advertised as it's been seen in some pretty big Mags like SOS. 
If they keep it free I would think in a short while everyone will be aware of this. 

Word of mouth in today's social media driven climate is worth way more than you may think. Trust me. All I'm saying is with a little push from the core user base we can help get ball rolling a little quicker and keep it rolling stronger. Who else can tout the benefits of being a cakewalk user better than us long time user's who love it so much?
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: HELP SPREAD THE WORD! 2018/04/10 23:50:47 (permalink)
fresh101
Cactus Music

That's really not the point. Besides I never bought a version Cakewalk for the extra content. To me it always was just that...extra.

Maybe not the reason for buying Sonar, but if you opted for Platinum over Artist, the content is why you chose to pay more.

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: HELP SPREAD THE WORD! 2018/04/11 02:44:47 (permalink)
Ironically, I did mention CbB this weekend to someone using PT at college. Semi-interest at first, and then the discussion turned toward their interest in VSTis and scoring. After I listened to her for a bit, I asked "So you mean something like this https://youtu.be/Gai_jme79II ?" which was followed by "Yeah!" Ended up talking about using Notion 6 as a stand-alone DAW and it being cheaper if picked up with S13 which has a standing crossgrade from PT.

Even free, I couldn't sell CbB.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
fresh101
Re: HELP SPREAD THE WORD! 2018/04/11 02:54:51 (permalink)
Kamikaze

Maybe not the reason for buying Sonar, but if you opted for Platinum over Artist, the content is why you chose to pay more.

You're sort of right but in my case not quite. I started with Pro Audio 7 as an upgrade from Cakewalk express. The version with the extra content (I forget the name) was on sale and was actually cheaper for me. I've always upgraded to the matching high end version every since then. But I do see your point. That being said, all that is not the import part. Bandlab bought Sonar to get more users. Like Facebook, Twitter or Instagram it needs a huge user base to truly be successful. If we want Cakewalk to not only live but thrive we also need those new users. We can't treat this like a private club anymore. Like our on personal secret weapons. We have to actively help breath new life into it as a music making platform.
levijudah
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 38
Re: HELP SPREAD THE WORD! 2018/04/11 15:02:30 (permalink)
Beginning to see Cakewalk / BandLab videos posted on You Tube now since the release.
The word is spreading.

What if it is the only way?
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: HELP SPREAD THE WORD! 2018/04/11 15:09:17 (permalink)
Are you saying we should all come out (of the closet) and shout it from the rooftops?
fresh101
Re: HELP SPREAD THE WORD! 2018/04/11 15:51:09 (permalink)
bapu
Are you saying we should all come out (of the closet) and shout it from the rooftops?

LOL!....Yes!

FLStudio, Ableton Live, Studio1 are very vocal and have jumped up and surpassed many DAWs in popularity even though they are actualy pretty young DAWs. FLStudio just got full audio capability only a few versions back. These DAWs have also advanced and improved by leaps and bounds over a short period of time because of this surge of new users. We need that same kind of increase in user base as well.

Cactus Music
Re: HELP SPREAD THE WORD! 2018/04/11 15:55:09 (permalink)
a, not a lot of interest on Gear Sluts. But that's self explanitory. 

Here's some gems that caught my attention:
 These are Quotes from people on Gearslutz in the Cakewalk sub forum_
"My hope is this will also invigorate the CW forum with new users looking forward and dilute the older set in their way types that emotionally reign over that forum at the expense of semi-pro and professional users. "

"Considering Cakewalk was, if not THE most bloated software on the planet, releasing it stripped down is a nice change. No more of those tons of plugs every update. Stripped of all that Craig Anderton garbage. This is what Cakewalk should have been doing from the start instead of ignoring tons of bugs and removing features that worked so that they can use the time in the update cycle to figure out how to jam more bloatware and garbage into Sonar to attract more sales"

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/cakewalk-sonar/1209978-sonar-now-free-all-3.html

post edited by Cactus Music - 2018/04/12 17:44:38

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

kzmaier
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 461
Re: HELP SPREAD THE WORD! 2018/04/11 16:19:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby fresh101 2018/04/11 21:27:29
+1 Oh yes spreeding the word!!!

Best Regards,
Ken
Bandlab Cakewalk - i5/8G Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Boss gt001

www.reverbnation.com/kzmaier

pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: HELP SPREAD THE WORD! 2018/04/11 16:31:16 (permalink)
fresh101
bapu

LOL!....Yes!

FLStudio, Ableton Live, Studio1 are very vocal and have jumped up and surpassed many DAWs in popularity even though they are actualy pretty young DAWs. FLStudio just got full audio capability only a few versions back. These DAWs have also advanced and improved by leaps and bounds over a short period of time because of this surge of new users. We need that same kind of increase in user base as well.

while i appreciate the enthusiasm, the above is just not right -
  • FL has been around for 20 years and Live since 2001
  • FL, Live and SO, are popular because they do what they do do very well
  • SO has benefited from being the newcomer, not because of "vocal users" or a "surge of new users" but because it's a totally new app built by ex-cubase devs based on years of experience and prototyping - they know how to architect this stuff and had a long-term roadmap from the get go- imagine if the cakewalk devs had that luxury!
/imo/fwiw

just a sec

gargonknight
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 56
Re: HELP SPREAD THE WORD! 2018/04/11 16:38:23 (permalink)
Cactus Music

Here's some gems that caught my attention:

"My hope is this will also invigorate the CW forum with new users looking forward and dilute the older set in their way types that emotionally reign over that forum at the expense of semi-pro and professional users. "

"Considering Cakewalk was, if not THE most bloated software on the planet, releasing it stripped down is a nice change. No more of those tons of plugs every update. Stripped of all that Craig Anderton garbage. This is what Cakewalk should have been doing from the start instead of ignoring tons of bugs and removing features that worked so that they can use the time in the update cycle to figure out how to jam more bloatware and garbage into Sonar to attract more sales"

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/cakewalk-sonar/1209978-sonar-now-free-all-3.html

that was well said, i left cakewalk to tracktion as i didnt agree to be blackmailed into paying for updates. not sure how long it'll be free but it is a no brainer. lets see what they do to enhance the mighty sonar

proper don gargon musical warrior!
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: HELP SPREAD THE WORD! 2018/04/11 18:46:22 (permalink)
fresh101
 Reaper and Fl studio have benefited greatly over the last few years from a surge of new users. We could easily do the same.

I do not think there is something to attract Reaper users,
Cactus Music
"Considering Cakewalk was, if not THE most bloated software on the planet

From the Reaper users perspective, the INSTALLER is already ~7 times bigger then whole Reaper package, and that is before it starts to download the DAW.
The next point: "free... with online authorization???". While for all other DAWs that is long time "normal", for Reaper that sounds funny.
And thous who still consider to install it, immediately realize it is old. 30 years for a software is a lot, it is may be "wise", but it is too slow and grumbles by gentle touch. Push a bit harder and it falls apart

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
fresh101
Re: HELP SPREAD THE WORD! 2018/04/11 22:02:50 (permalink)
pwalpwal

• SO has benefited from being the newcomer, not because of "vocal users" or a "surge of new users" but because it's a totally new app built by ex-cubase devs based on years of experience and prototyping - they know how to architect this stuff and had a long-term roadmap from the get go- imagine if the cakewalk devs had that luxury!

FLStudio aka FRUITY LOOPS was just a toy till about version 4 and was a joke in the industry by any serious user for a long time. That's why they changed the name. To help remove the cheap toy stigma. As it's base grew they continued to develop it heavily. It's grown tremendously in the past 5 or so years. It may have been around for 20 yrs but it wasn't even part of the conversation till about 8 years ago. Live and S1 are also very young when compared to Cakewalk, Protools, Cubase.

When I was first picking a DAW, Opcode Studio Vision(also killed by Gibson), Digital Performer, Digital Orchestrator, Logic and a few others were other viable options.

My point is this. When the "Which DAW should I get?" question pops up.(which I've heard plenty over the years) Not enough of us are saying Cakewalk. That's got to change. Now that price is no longer an issue this is the best time.

fresh101
Re: HELP SPREAD THE WORD! 2018/04/11 22:14:55 (permalink)
Why is this notion facing so much resistance? Do we want Cakewalk/Bandlab to fail?

All I'm asking you to do is say "Hey, Cakewalk is a great Daw...You should give it a try...oh, and by the it's free now too"
Some of you guys act like I'm asking people to give blood or something. sheesh!

iRelevant
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 430
Re: HELP SPREAD THE WORD! 2018/04/11 22:31:08 (permalink)
The news about CB was out in main section of the FLS forum on Friday 6 April. 
The the tread was quickly pushed into oblivion by totalitærian moderators, as off-topic.

I took the liberty to paste a cut from what one of the fanatics have to say about his CB experience ... 
 <..]
Re: New free Sonar Platinum! Is this a dream or a nightmare??
be prepared to have bandlab assistant greet you every time you boot windows.. and if you remove the autostart.. the next time you run the program it will replace the autostart again.. without asking.. it also shows double in task manager..

after downloading and installing.. it gives that cakewalk is in demo mode and that it's need to login to bandlab assistant.. though it's already logged in..
tried reinstalling.. same thing.. so not sure what is up with that on it.. have read of others having similar issue with no reply from bandlab on it.. and where others have no issue with the install.. similar issues mentioned on a plethora of different forums talking about it..

at least it gives cakewalk view in demo mode.. hadn't looked it over in a long time.. since it was staying in demo mode.. I didn't give it much play.. but what I did view of it.. makes me like fl studio even more.. deleting

frighteningly enough one of the first files installed is titled abaddon -the name of the angel over the locusts that ascend from the bottomless pit in prophecies from various ancient scriptures, including the bible.. and the filenames and reg entries in various places are riddled with dark titles and the number 666  .. pretty frightening..

after reviewing it, Ardour now looks more inviting and less complicated, open source, no nags.. and is also cross platform, fast and FREE
http://www.ardour.org/
[...> 
It's a rough world out there ... 

[EDIT] : This was just meant as a worst case sample review of CB in other forums.
Personally I had my Internet security system enabled during install, and just recently did a total system scan. Nothing. No false positives. No warnings. No nothing what so ever. Windows Defender is of course out of action.
I believe I'm using the same paid security solution as the Pentagon, so it should be reasonably safe in my opinion. 
post edited by iRelevant - 2018/04/12 13:56:16
Cactus Music
Re: HELP SPREAD THE WORD! 2018/04/11 23:06:37 (permalink)
It would seem the sad truth is they needed to test things out in the real world somehow before they released that assistant app. They might have turned off a lot of potential new users with the first version.  
 My first reaction after the Assistant kept popping up was, screw this, this is typical BS of Shareware freebies.  I immediately un-installed both the assistant and CbB. 

I started a thread to announce this too. I was quickly answered by Noel and assured they were dealing with these glitches which they did. But then, how many people out there did the same as me and are not on a forum so they will still believe the software is invasive. 

I am always looking for freeware for little chores like video convertions and if I run into things like that Assistant I move on. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

iRelevant
Re: HELP SPREAD THE WORD! 2018/04/11 23:44:17 (permalink)
fresh101
pwalpwal

FLStudio aka FRUITY LOOPS was just a toy till about version 4 and was a joke in the industry by any serious user for a long time. That's why they changed the name. To help remove the cheap toy stigma. As it's base grew they continued to develop it heavily. It's grown tremendously in the past 5 or so years. It may have been around for 20 yrs but it wasn't even part of the conversation till about 8 years ago. Live and S1 are also very young when compared to Cakewalk, Protools, Cubase.

When I was first picking a DAW, Opcode Studio Vision(also killed by Gibson), Digital Performer, Digital Orchestrator, Logic and a few others were other viable options.

My point is this. When the "Which DAW should I get?" question pops up.(which I've heard plenty over the years) Not enough of us are saying Cakewalk. That's got to change. Now that price is no longer an issue this is the best time.

Fruity Loops was never "just a toy", it was also a fun creative tool. They changed their name due to a conflict over trademarks with Kellogs in the US. [EDIT]

As the situation now stands now with CB, I think it is to early to start promoting it ... it needs more ironing and removal of wrinkles ... people are not forgiving ... and it needs to be rock solid before pushed. I don't see that is the case yet. 

post edited by iRelevant - 2018/04/12 10:53:51
fresh101
Re: HELP SPREAD THE WORD! 2018/04/12 02:00:43 (permalink)

Fruity Loops was never "just a toy"
iRelevant

Mmmmmm....Yeah...It kinda was.

JohanSebatianGremlin
  • Total Posts : 402
Re: HELP SPREAD THE WORD! 2018/04/12 03:34:08 (permalink)
I told the people in my circle. Their reaction was the same as every other time I've tried to convince them that Sonar was better than what they were using.

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

i7, 32gb RAM, Win10 64bit, RME UFX
LJB
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1502
Re: HELP SPREAD THE WORD! 2018/04/12 06:41:40 (permalink)
Cactus Music
"Considering Cakewalk was, if not THE most bloated software on the planet, releasing it stripped down is a nice change. No more of those tons of plugs every update. 

Oh well, one man's "bloat" is another man's well-fed Alpaca.

Ludwig Bouwer, One Big Room Studios.
--------------------
Cakewalk
with all the trimmings / Win 10Pro 64 / Intel i7-7700 / Asus Prime Z270k / 16GB DDR4 / RME HDSP9652 / RME UFX / Black Lion Audio ADA8000 / ART MPA & ART Pro Channel / Focusrite Voicemaster Pro / Aphex 107

Check out my work at www.onebigroom.co.za

iRelevant
Re: HELP SPREAD THE WORD! 2018/04/12 10:02:49 (permalink)
fresh101

iRelevant

Mmmmmm....Yeah...It kinda was.

What you are showing here is ironically the MIDI only prototype circulating the Interweb in the latter part of '97.
The marketing was "lone independent developer takes on the corporations" with shareware. "The only shareware worth paying for". [EDIT]

The marketing image is still that of the under-dog, [EDIT]... but have become a main-stream DAW years ago.  They focus on the outsider "just a toy" status, and love it. And people like you are their marketing agents ;)

[EDIT]

PS. I appreciate your initiative, but think it still is to early to make a push for CB. 

post edited by iRelevant - 2018/04/12 11:18:58
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: HELP SPREAD THE WORD! 2018/04/12 10:17:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mettelus 2018/04/12 10:53:57
you should promote cakewalk by highlighting its good points, not by trashing the competition

just a sec

Studio-ES
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22
Re: HELP SPREAD THE WORD! 2018/04/12 11:03:33 (permalink)
Good stuff.
post edited by Studio-ES - 2018/04/12 12:18:01

Clevo 17" | i7-3630QM | 16GB HyperX | 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD | GTX680m SLI | WIN7-64bit | Cakewalk by BandLab 2018.04 | SONAR X1 Studio (Retired) | Project5 | VS-100
iRelevant
Re: HELP SPREAD THE WORD! 2018/04/12 11:22:21 (permalink)
pwalpwal
you should promote cakewalk by highlighting its good points, not by trashing the competition

Sound advise, thank you.
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1