Helpful ReplyLockedHard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/15 16:37:38 (permalink)
Steev

The only thing that mildly disappoints me about Bandlab is it's lack of support for Edge/Internet Explorer, and Firefox browsers. I cannot decide to remove or even disable Edge/Internet Explorer from Windows 10, I can only decide not to install software that interferes with it and the smooth operation of my system.
 And that's why I do kind of understand Bandlab's reluctance or at least difficulties supporting other browsers(?).. I could never get the Chrome browser to stop interfering with my Windows 10 based home, studio, and office network, so I can understand how the Edge/Internet Explorer, and Firefox browsers could create complications and have a bad effect on Bandlab's preferred Chrome browser functionality and networking across the entire PLANET!

That's the first I have heard of that. 

It would really surprise me that any modern web app would be limited to one browser.  If a web developer codes in compliance to the modern standards for HTML and CSS, it should work in any browser that supports modern standards. It's been years since Microsoft tried to create their own version of web standards.

Web developers these days are encouraged to write apps that are both cross platform and cross browser.  This philosophy is at the core of 'Responsive Web Design'.  https://www.w3schools.com/html/html_responsive.asp

Responsive Web Design makes your web page look good on all devices (desktops, tablets, and phones).
Responsive Web Design is about using HTML and CSS to resize, hide, shrink, enlarge, or move the content to make it look good on any screen

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/15 16:39:53 (permalink)
Steev
That's right, you read right, CAKEWALK, staring early from Pro Audio all the way up to SONAR, no matter what the nay Sayers say about what is the best DAW, Cakewalk has by far outsold all others making it the WORLD'S MOST POPULAR AND BEST SELLING DAW! And only really floundered when Gibson changed the rules of research, development, and distribution... 

Steve, I appreciate your passion, and in the 1990s, perhaps there was a period where one could argue that Cakewalk was the best selling in the new class of software called "DAWs".  But I don't believe any such claim by the time Roland had it.  Indeed, that was WHY Roland got involved -- because Cakewalk could not survive on its own.  And Gibson bought it after Roland concluded they could never make it profitable.

The market has spoken  It just doesn't matter which product was in theory "the best".  Customers have not been buying it.  The media has not been covering it.  Stores weren't selling it. 

I would agree with people who argue that SONAR has a good UI, workflow and feature set.  But in the end, that just did not matter nearly as much as other factors.  Other products brought in new customers with unique features (e.g. Live) aggressive pricing (e.g. Reaper) or hardware bundles (Presonus, and to some extent Cubase).  These things proved to be more important that the individual features.  In any market like this, momentum is very important.  People like to move in crowds.  If they perceive the crowd moving a certain direction, people naturally want to be in that crowd.

"SONAR people" seem to be fiercely independent.  I like that, but I also like Don Quixote.

The DAW game is over.  SONAR lost out.  The things that Bandlab is talking about represent, IMHO, a new generation that is something beyond what we call "DAW".  It offers he potential for a new lease on life, but only if it attracts a new generation.  If all this effort does is to placate the people who have loved Cakewalk for 20 years, the enterprise will be a failure.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
abacab
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/15 16:54:43 (permalink)
cparmerlee

If all this effort does is to placate the people who have loved Cakewalk for 20 years, the enterprise will be a failure.

Sad, but true!

Being 'right', or 'best' is not all that it takes.  You also have to attract new customers to make a business profitable. 

Hopefully Sonar can change and evolve to attract new customers, otherwise the alternative is for it to fail forever.

I prefer the first option. 

Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/15 17:40:45 (permalink)
They won't know they want it until they are convinced they want/need it. So many products are sold this way.
I didn't know I wanted an Alexa until I heard about it.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/15 18:24:11 (permalink)
abacab
Web developers these days are encouraged to write apps that are both cross platform and cross browser.  This philosophy is at the core of 'Responsive Web Design'.  https://www.w3schools.com/html/html_responsive.asp

Responsive Web Design makes your web page look good on all devices (desktops, tablets, and phones).
Responsive Web Design is about using HTML and CSS to resize, hide, shrink, enlarge, or move the content to make it look good on any screen

Pages - yes, but apps, especially which responsive "GUI" and hardware integration, have hard time to work equally. Most browsers are PAGES oriented. There are good reasons why some apps recommend (or even restrict) to Chrome.
I mean they could probably make it FF "compatible", but whats the point if you will be really disappointed by the result?
I hit the problem at work, by coincidence just several doors away from "the place where the Web was born"

cparmerlee
The market has spoken  It just doesn't matter which product was in theory "the best".  Customers have not been buying it.  The media has not been covering it.  Stores weren't selling it. 

Then all musicians can look for a new job... When I try to find ANY song from not "top 100" on ANY radio station, I usually fail. And that "top 100" list has nothing to do with the quality, it is "popular" just because it was specially made popular, by investing money to collect more money, using predictable way. Does that mean I HAVE TO like it? No. I do not.

Starise
I didn't know I wanted an Alexa until I heard about it.

After the first time I have heard about Alexa, I was sure I do NOT want it. Every time I am forced to see yet another ad about it I just hate it more and more

I had more or less the same feeling about Reaper when it was mentioned in this forum. Especially after some "ads"  at the end of the last year. But since that is the only other DAW with binary API, I had no choice. And I am so glad I was forced to look at it. So who knows, may be my daughter will bring Alexa and I can write the same about it  The probability is low... after I have bought Apps capable phone for my wife, I hate WhatsApp more then any other program during my whole life.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Steev
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 314
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/16 11:27:52 (permalink)

Steve, I appreciate your passion, and in the 1990s, perhaps there was a period where one could argue that Cakewalk was the best selling in the new class of software called "DAWs".  But I don't believe any such claim by the time Roland had it.  Indeed, that was WHY Roland got involved -- because Cakewalk could not survive on its own.  And Gibson bought it after Roland concluded they could never make it profitable.

I would agree with people who argue that SONAR has a good UI, workflow and feature set.  But in the end, that just did not matter nearly as much as other factors.  Other products brought in new customers with unique features (e.g. Live) aggressive pricing (e.g. Reaper) or hardware bundles (Presonus, and to some extent Cubase).  These things proved to be more important that the individual features.  In any market like this, momentum is very important.  People like to move in crowds.  If they perceive the crowd moving a certain direction, people naturally want to be in that crowd.

"SONAR people" seem to be fiercely independent.  I like that, but I also like Don Quixote.

The DAW game is over.  SONAR lost out.  The things that Bandlab is talking about represent, IMHO, a new generation that is something beyond what we call "DAW".  It offers he potential for a new lease on life, but only if it attracts a new generation.  If all this effort does is to placate the people who have loved Cakewalk for 20 years, the enterprise will be a failure.

I never said SONAR was the best DAW in the world I said it was the best "selling" DAW in the world. I think that had more to do with being bundled with new computers in the 90's than anything else. That's where I became aware of it and started using it as a MIDI editor/sequencer and syncing it to my Mac thru MMC running Pro Tools.

That being said, in the 90's, absolutely NOBODY thought of Cakewalk Pro Audio as a good DAW, or even think it had a chance because it was utterly abysmal at handling audio.
 In my neighborhood (local NYC) area, E-Magic Logic ruled the Windows Kingdom, Pro Tools in AppleLand. Cubase was a maybe(?) which I believe it still is today, and still not Steinberg's flagship DAW. I believe that was classified as Nuendo, who today teamed up with Yamaha and created NUAGE which is a SERIOUS force to be reckoned with.
 And we all know what happened with Logic, a serious force to be reckoned with not only on Mac computers, but offers the tightest and seamless integration with Mackie Universal DAW Control. 
 And around early  2000’s I myself was toying around with Cubase SX comparing it to early versions of Cakewalk’s new SONAR Producer platform when some unexpected phenomenon happened that changed the whole world of what could be accomplished with a DAW. That would be the new force to be reckoned with called SONAR 4 Producer, which had such an incredible impact on me and my workflow I shut down my Mac and Pro Tools 4 EVER!

In 2005 SONAR 4 won the grand prize of the MIPA Awards which is a collective vote award from all of the music tech magazines in the world.

I thought it was a very logical move for Roland to buy into the new world’s champion of DAWs, Cakewalk SONAR, and  make a move to tightly integrate it with their hardware, and the Cakewalk V-Studio was born as was Cakewalk branded MIDI keyboard controllers.
 However there was nothing really new about either, they were just rebranded Roland and Edirol hardware, and the merger didn’t take the world by storm.
 That’s not to say it wasn’t profitable as many here “assume”, I would personally assume it simply wasn’t as profitable as Roland’s hardware products.

Selling DAWs as previously noted it a rather tricky business. Everyone wants more for nothing than they are willing to pay for, including extremely impractical things like “Lifetime Support”, never mind ongoing everlasting maintenance for OS updates, security patch and flaw updates without ever contributing another cent. AND EXPECT THIS FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE?

Ya know, I love new tech and the way the Internet shrinks the world with instant communications, but that has it’s downsides too.
 It gives some people a very extremely unrealistic and unhealthy sense of power to control, conflate, and extrapolate, and theorize on what others intentions are, and I also notice with some, a seriously disturbing sense of self entitlement, making it perfectly OK for them to profit greatly making music on software they didn’t pay for, while downloading and collecting everyone else’s software and or music music for free.
 Yes indeed, FREE is the culture of Internet and Google and YOUtube right?
 Right, totally free, yet ENORMOUSLY profitable, and that means  if you’re an honest hard worker, who takes the time to find out how they do it, and with all the free information they will provide you with, they will IN FACT explain to you how you can make money GIVING away things for free, as opposed to TAKING things that don’t belong to you.

So all that I see with what happened with Roland and Gibson, they don’t feel comfortable associating and relying too closely on the computer and Internet culture. They are too used to a sell it and forget about it business model. This don't NOT mean Cakewalk wasn't profitable, it means it costs more to run than their preferred business models. 

Mass manufacturing electronics is insanely and ridiculously profitable. Design it, name it, manufacture it, promote it, and restart the process all over again next year.
 Hey here’s idea from Roland, let’s reissue our older “Vintage” products with the newer tech chips and silicon designs we’ve been using, already in stock to give the a bit of extra punch and resell them as new. And this year’s new innovation is the Roland TR-8. What is it? It’s all of the old outdated, opps, I mean “Vintage” Roland drum machines in one box. On sale now, or soon to be at your favorite music store for only around a paltry $500 (us). And for an extra $200 (us) we'll though in a sampler with the Roland TR-8s for only $700 (us) and both come with a one year limited manufacturer's warrantee. After that, your on your own.. Please enjoy.

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

spacey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8769
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/16 12:55:45 (permalink)
Steev
Very cool post spacey. I honestly have no ill will or grave concerns with Gibson or Bandlab, nor believe Gibson had any evil intentions, they screwed up, and as much as I hate to admit it, I for one can really relate to that much more than I'd like to elaborate on.
 And I feel confident to say I truly wish and believe that Gibson will survive. They have indded reached the peak of the mountain top in their times, and there is only one way to go from there. It would really and truly be a sad thing if they crashed and burned.

Thank you Steev.

I agree- I think Gibson will survive. They're big and even if it takes it -it may be new owners that keep Gibson alive just as we're seeing if new owners can keep Sonar kickin'.
As with it all, time will tell.

cparmerlee
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/16 13:59:42 (permalink)
spacey
I think Gibson will survive. They're big and even if it takes it -it may be new owners that keep Gibson alive just as we're seeing if new owners can keep Sonar kickin'.
As with it all, time will tell.

I realize that this is a site for music enthusiasts, not financial analysts, but I don't think people here appreciate the dire financial shape Gibson is in.  They are almost certain to enter bankruptcy, and that probably will happen within the next 6 months. 

That leaves the question 7 or 11 (liquidation or reorganization).  It could go either way and will probably be determined by the creditors.  If the company is able to shed enough baggage so that there is a core business that could operate profitably if it didn't have the heavy debt load, then the creditors might be willing to forego part of the debt if they are convinced the company will be profitable after that.  If they go chapter 11, I'd expect the creditors to demand that the company be cut down to the basics of making high-value guitars, and they would probably demand a new CEO with a reputation for managing costs tightly.

If they can't get creditor buy-in, then they will have to go Chapter 7 where the assets are put through a quick forced sale and the creditors are paid immediately at whatever percentage of their debt the sale covers.
Clearly the Gibson name is a very strong brand and somebody will buy the name, if not the company.

In other words, Gibson didn't shut down Cakewalk because they were tired of it or discovered some other "vision."  They shut it down because it was a money loser and they were trying to avoid bankruptcy, or at least to convince their creditors they were willing to take aggressive action.  The Phillips thing is a much bigger question.  That has to go, but I doubt it is worth so much as a brand.

OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
Steev
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/16 14:08:15 (permalink)
Thank you back spacey,
 As do I, Gibson might survive if Henry Juszkiewicz starts to act more like a "QUALITY" guitar builder than he does a Vulture Capitalist, than I don't see why not. For more on that please CLICK HERE

I honestly believe Bandlab buying Cakewalk could be the best thing that happened in many years, and the positive proof of that is, they already did.
 And there is nothing to even remotely suggest any negative aspect. 
And as the saying goes........

"Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep." ~ Stephan Stills 
(Excerpt from FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH by Buffalo Springfield)

"There's nothing to fear but fear itself." ~ Franklin D. Roosevelt 

" I'm making a point of living my life to the fullest until the day I die." ~ That'll be ME!

Steev on Bandlab.com

Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

slyman
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 194
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/16 14:44:40 (permalink)
cparmerlee
 But I don't believe any such claim by the time Roland had it.  Indeed, that was WHY Roland got involved -- because Cakewalk could not survive on its own.  And Gibson bought it after Roland concluded they could never make it profitable.

Cakewalk could not survive on it's own and sold to Roland.
Roland could not make it profitable and sold to Gibson.
Gibson could not make it profitable and pulled the plug. 
Not Bandlab is at the plate with 2 strikes and no one on base. 

I was loyal to Cakewalk for so many years, but decided to try other DAW's after the Gibson fiasco. 
Although Sonar has great features, some of which I'm missing on other DAW's, I now find it buggy and its GUI is not top notch compared to other programs. 
If Bandlab wants to hit a home run with the software, some major bug fixing and redesign are in order if they want to keep playing in the same league. This is a very competitive market now, with new players getting better every month. 

That said, let's see what they come up with. I still won't give up on Sonar (or whatever they decide to call it) that easy......

Sonar Platinum, Gigabyte H87-HD3, Intel 4770k, 16Mb Ram, Win 10 Pro, RME Babyface Pro, Roland A-Pro 800, Presonus Studio Channel, Kemper Profiling Amp, Strat/Tele/LesPaul/Taylor 214ce/Dean Cadillac/P-Bass
cparmerlee
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/16 15:11:09 (permalink)
slyman
Cakewalk could not survive on it's own and sold to Roland.

It became tougher as lots of products came to market, passing SONAR 7 by.  Rolan'd game plan was (apparently) to create some synergy with its hardware lines.  That never happened as far as I know.  And I'm not sure that Roland even did much with co-marketing (e.g. free SONAR starter version when you buy an upscale Roland product.)
slyman
Roland could not make it profitable and sold to Gibson.

Gibson'd game plan was to create a rich software division and integrate that with the TASCAM/Teac products, making both Teac and Cakewalk stronger.  As far as I know, none of that ever happened.
slyman
Gibson could not make it profitable and pulled the plug. 
Now Bandlab is at the plate with 2 strikes and no one on base. 

Bandlab's game plan is presumably to integrate SONAR into an end-to-end chain of products that range from mobile devices, to the cloud, all the way back to the traditional studio.  And presumably pieces of the Cakewalk technology can migrate to the cloud and mobile layers over time.  We'll see if any of that plays out.  If SONAR remains an island, as it did with Gibson and Roland, it will be dumped again in a couple of years.

sonocrafters.com
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/16 17:24:25 (permalink)
I think Bandlab's purchase of Cakewalk may have been the only realistic chance this software had to survive. First, as mentioned above, they have integration with the cloud, and a cloud-based community. This is the future, for better or for worse. Second, they have considerable financial backing. Imagine your father is a multi-billionaire. Buy Cakewalk? Sure, why not? We have the resources needed to make the investments that will turn this thing around. I cannot think of a better situation for Cakewalk/Sonar. If capitulation to the cloud thing is part of the equation, so be it. 

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

Steev
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/16 17:32:15 (permalink)
Great bankster theories and presumptions boys, but very doomsday, dark, negative, and well, I'm thinking extremely, ahhh, PRESUMPTUOUS to think Bandlab has a master plan to drag us deeper into our hellish existence than we already are.............  
 Got any spread sheets to back up these theories, or did you just figure this out all on your own sitting alone in the dark of your man caves, only light shining in your face from the monitor as you sit at the helm of your procrastination stations? Hmmmmm??????????

Sorry I'm NOT buying of that lure... Nobody invests millions of dollars into a failing company just to be nice

I'm theorizing that Cakewalk was not only profitable it rated the best of the best when Roland bought it from 12 Tones Inc.
 I shall also theorized that the folks at Roland did NOT invest in Cakewalk out of the goodness of their hearts because they felt sorry it couldn't make it on it's own... If it wasn't profitable they most assuredly wouldn't even acknowledged it's existence.  
 It was going so good, they offered CEO and founder Greg Hendershott an obscene amount of money which he of course took and retired FOR LIFE with. That's my theory, and I shall assume or presume nothing else.
 And really why should I even care about how much money anyone else makes but ME?
 Being I make money making music with using their most excellent and bodacious tools they have to offer, I'm not only happy for them, I want them to continue to make money to provide me with more goodies and tools to make it easier for me to make more music with.

Cakewalk had a great run with Roland.

NOBODY at Cakewalk got fired, and when on to make Sonar even better, better, and better, and very profitable, just not as profitable as Roland's hardware.

So they sold it to Gibson Brands, which by the way, wasn't in the habit of buy ANYTHING that wasn't profitable.
 And so it remained so, right on up until the day Vulture Capitalist and CEO and owner of Gibson Henry Juszkiewicz fired everyone at Cakewalk and shuttered it just around the time Tascam was introducing their new Track Factory Porta Studio which consisted of SONAR Professional preloaded and preconfigured into an Intel i5 Nuc, a set of Tascam headphones, Tascam large diaphragm condenser mic, and Tascam 2x2 audio interface for a retail price of $1300 (us).
 Goodbye Cakewalk, Hello Tascam Porta Studio that doesn't need any elaborate tech support, and it's limited warrantee expires in a year..... But..........  being Henry owed so much money to creditors, he became a questionable risk, his credit was downgraded, and couldn't get the money to finance the Tascam Track Factory..
 And that's part of my theory, and the other part has a much happier "Beginning" than you obviously 'Presume"  or least insinuate Cakewalk future to be with Bandlab....

Steev on Bandlab.com

Pro Tools.

marled
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/16 17:35:24 (permalink)
And this is no uncommon story. I have seen a lot of companies that were struggling, but still profitable. Then they were taken over or merged with another company of the same branch. Most of the time the result was even worse than before. Why? Too much change and turbulence for the staff led to lost confidence and bad work climate. Additionally too many new managers that had to distinguish themselves, so directions changing permanently. Thus how can that improve the results of a company?

... many years before ...
spacey
  • Total Posts : 8769
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/16 17:56:34 (permalink)
Steev
Thank you back spacey,
 As do I, Gibson might survive if Henry Juszkiewicz starts to act more like a "QUALITY" guitar builder than he does a Vulture Capitalist, than I don't see why not. For more on that please CLICK HERE

I honestly believe Bandlab buying Cakewalk could be the best thing that happened in many years, and the positive proof of that is, they already did.
 And there is nothing to even remotely suggest any negative aspect. 
And as the saying goes........

"Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep." ~ Stephan Stills 
(Excerpt from FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH by Buffalo Springfield)

"There's nothing to fear but fear itself." ~ Franklin D. Roosevelt 

" I'm making a point of living my life to the fullest until the day I die." ~ That'll be ME!

On the Gibson side I know that timber became a serious issue for them in the '80's. Not good for them and I can't imagine what headaches came from that...and that issue is only getting tougher.
On the software side I can't imagine how hard it is to deal with a customer base that can't tell the difference between a payment plan and a subscription...hell, if BandLab has a handle on that they could have smooth sailing...and what got me is that I know not all of them were drummers! LOL, LOL (couldn't resist and all in fun)
cparmerlee
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/16 18:41:53 (permalink)
michael diemer
If capitulation to the cloud thing is part of the equation, so be it. 

Even billions of dollars don't change the laws of physics.  To do commercial-grade music production as we know it today requires a whole lot of data movement, and you really cannot tolerate much variation in the data flow.  For example, if you are mixing 30 tracks, that may require something like 60 Mbit/sec of data bandwidth, not including the data access for any sound libraries and such.  This is well within the data rates sustainable on local disks, but few people have access to networks that can reliably maintain that speed 24 hours a day.

Over time, some of that can be handled through local caching, but I just don't believe one can deliver a cloud-based solution today that can handle projects of the size and complexity that SONAR and the other DAWs do every day.  And you don't need such large projects for the kind of stuff Bandlab has been targeting.

So I don't see this as "capitulating to the cloud" any more than Bandlab people would see it as "capitulating to the PC".  It is a matter of building a system that combines the best tools that can get the job done.  And if this can all be done more-or-less seamlessly, what's not to like?

sonocrafters.com
azslow3
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/16 19:14:30 (permalink)
cparmerlee
Even billions of dollars don't change the laws of physics.  To do commercial-grade music production as we know it today requires a whole lot of data movement, and you really cannot tolerate much variation in the data flow.  For example, if you are mixing 30 tracks, that may require something like 60 Mbit/sec of data bandwidth, not including the data access for any sound libraries and such.  This is well within the data rates sustainable on local disks, but few people have access to networks that can reliably maintain that speed 24 hours a day.

I guess you misinterpret what cloud computing is... ALL your data and sound libraries ARE in the cloud when you start mixing. And they do not need to be transfered to your computer during the whole mixing process, all you get is the "PICTURE" of the DAW and stereo sound to send into your monitors. That can be done even with 1-2MBit connection.

So the only time you may need a good speed is when you record 30 tracks at once into the cloud or transfer pre-recorded sounds. So, for real-time recording with "throw the DAW" almost zero latency monitoring, cloud is "no go".

But in the cloud you can theoretically mix 80 tracks project with 240 plug-ins and 40 Synth... using your phone or tablet.

That is the general concept: locally you have only GUI + sometimes sound. The rest, including all files and programs, is "somewhere", sometimes on the other side of the glob. Inside powerful farms with water colling and 100s of GB/sec storage connection.

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
abacab
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/16 19:23:59 (permalink)
In other words, 'thin client' computing...

A big step up from 'dumb terminal', but a nod to the mainframe supercomputers of the past. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_client

azslow3
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/16 21:20:49 (permalink)
abacab

A big step up from 'dumb terminal', but a nod to the mainframe supercomputers of the past. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_client

As in wiki, 'thin client' is normally used for hardware+special OS to provide 'remote desktop' with local connectivity. Except "teleporting" local connections to the server, the client is in fact 'dumb terminal'.

Here the hardware is "usual" and OS is local. So that is just a "client + server" based system. In current BandLab form that is a Web application. In such concept the workload can be freely distributed between client and server. F.e. the whole graphics works locally. Nothing prevents local audio processing as well. There are web applications which work just locally, so can continue to work "offline". I mean that approach is much more flexible and usually more "responsive" then a thin client.

cparmerlee
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/16 21:55:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2018/03/16 22:19:43
abacab

Absolutely.  We have come full circle.  The beauty of mainframe processing was that all the precious assets were in a central location (or multiple central locations) under the careful management of a professional IT staff.  But the user interface was "IBM 3270", in other words, just a grid of 24 rows and 80 columns of text characters.   The mainframes died when the world decided it wanted prettier, more productive user interfaces and the mainframe world had no idea how to do that.
But now with browser-based apps, we are back to practically the same place.  The browser is the new 3270 standard and the "cloud server" is the mainframe.  And what is the attraction of cloud computing?  Well, all the precious assets are in a central location (or multiple central locations) under the careful management of a professional IT staff. 

sonocrafters.com
abacab
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/16 22:26:21 (permalink)
cparmerlee

Absolutely.  We have come full circle.  The beauty of mainframe processing was that all the precious assets were in a central location (or multiple central locations) under the careful management of a professional IT staff.  

I was among that staff 35 years ago ... good times!  Full circle indeed! 

Then I trained on Novell servers while we were trying to figure out how to make the client/server thingy work.

So today we are back to the mainframe, except it is now called "cloud".  And the browser on a high end workstation is now a mighty "thin client"! 

The potential for a iPhone or iPad to interact with the cloud could be interesting, but I think there will always be a place for a solid workstation.  The issue of latency and bandwidth on a global scale could be a real challenge for large projects.

cparmerlee
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/16 22:41:20 (permalink)
abacab
The potential for a iPhone or iPad to interact with the cloud could be interesting, but I think there will always be a place for a solid workstation.  The issue of latency and bandwidth on a global scale could be a real challenge for large projects.

Well, "always" is a big word, but I think you are right.  What today's DAWs can do is way beyond marvelous and pretty darned close to magic, IMHO.  I think it will be very hard for distributed software to match this function in a commercially robust way.  And really, people doing "serious studio work" don't really have a need to involve the cloud.  It is relatively easy to maintain a very powerful DAW today.

If you go inside the design labs at any auto manufacturer, you will still find engineering workstations, even though some of the business may be done in a "cloud" fashion.  Likewise at movie studios, I bet all the serious animation and CGI work is done on high-powered workstations, not cloud apps.  Weather forecasting, economic modeling, etc.  These are very intense, specialized applications that will be the last to migrate to "the cloud."

I'm trying to think how I would go about implementing the Melodyne ARA workflow hosted on the cloud.

Bandlab is a little different because they are in a position to add value by building seamless linkages from the cloud end back to the workstation end.  That could be pretty cool if it works well.

sonocrafters.com
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/17 00:23:52 (permalink)
Theoretically a company could be making $50 profit a week and call itself profitable. I don't think Cakewalk was losing money, it just wasn't profitable enough. I should think its core base paying for upgrades was probably keeping it afloat, but what it really needed was a steady stream of new users, and an honest appraisal of the forums and various user groups was always enough to make you realize that this was just not happening. The "newbie" activity on the forums has always been pretty lacking IMO. The vast majority of activity is from long time users and has been since I joined the forum in 2012. BandLab's focus has to be about attracting new users, and I think they're probably all geared up for that. Kind of makes me laugh to think back to the (recent) time when so many here were begging Microsoft to buy it. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Larry Jones
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 834
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/17 02:56:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Paul P 2018/03/17 15:47:15
sharke
...what it really needed was a steady stream of new users, and an honest appraisal of the forums and various user groups was always enough to make you realize that this was just not happening. The "newbie" activity on the forums has always been pretty lacking IMO.

Agreed. Thinking back and trying to make sense out of today's DAW market, I think all the major DAWs, including Cakewalk's, were an outgrowth of the recording studio industry as it was, say, from 1965 to 1990. I'm an example, coming from a "real" physical studio environment. I sold my operation and didn't do any recording for several years, but when I looked at Cakewalk Pro Audio for the first time, I knew exactly what I was seeing, because it was graphically designed to look like the hardware I'd been using. It even had "transport" controls! I -- and I'm guessing thousands of my peers -- jumped in and started using the DAW, exactly the same way I had used my studio.

I could still do good work and make high-quality recordings, and the software itself kept improving, becoming more powerful and versatile, but I was basically using the DAW like an old-fashioned recording studio. When I got stuck with the technology I came here and found help, mostly, it seemed, from people just like me. (And I stayed for the community, by the way.)

Somewhere along the way the newbies arrived -- non-musicians who didn't know how the studio is "supposed" to be used, but who intuitively grasped the power of laptop-style digital recording with drum machines and loops, and went to town. These DJs and producers gravitated not toward old standards like SONAR or Cubase, but to newer, non-legacy software. I've never used Ableton Live, but my guess is that it looks a lot less like a tape machine and a console. Because, who needs that? So we never saw them here in any great numbers, and Twelve-Tone/Roland/Gibson never saw them at the checkout screen, either. Most of us would have complained vehemently if SONAR went all hip hop, and the "kids" still wouldn't have bought it anyway. My era was more or less over. (I just didn't know I was dead, so I was able to keep writing, performing and recording new music.)

I'm not going to change my basic style of recording and music that I've done my whole career, and I'm not worried that all the old-fashioned, standard DAWs are going to disappear before I do. One of the benefits of The Gibson Fiasco is that I went out and explored several different DAWs for the first time since I started with Cakewalk Pro Audio, and was pleasantly surprised. If Bandlab some day dumps SONAR or drastically changes it so I can't use it, I'll find something to use that I'm comfortable with.

Meantime, hats off to the next generation, even if I have no idea what they're up to.  

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
mumpcake
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1609
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/17 03:14:29 (permalink)
cparmerlee
I realize that this is a site for music enthusiasts, not financial analysts, but I don't think people here appreciate the dire financial shape Gibson is in.  They are almost certain to enter bankruptcy, and that probably will happen within the next 6 months. 

With people posting links to articles on their financials left and right, I think most people here fully understand that Gibson has problems.  I haven't seen an office pool for when they go bankrupt yet, but I don't go into the coffee house that often either.
Daibhidh
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 204
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/17 03:55:58 (permalink)
I was using Cakewalk in the 1990s as a teenager, now I'm in my 30s. I was blessed to have an Atari ST with midi and a Roland keyboard before I was ten back in the 80s.
How's that for your average Cakewalk demographic user?
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/17 04:15:32 (permalink)
Larry Jones
sharke
...what it really needed was a steady stream of new users, and an honest appraisal of the forums and various user groups was always enough to make you realize that this was just not happening. The "newbie" activity on the forums has always been pretty lacking IMO.

Agreed. Thinking back and trying to make sense out of today's DAW market, I think all the major DAWs, including Cakewalk's, were an outgrowth of the recording studio industry as it was, say, from 1965 to 1990. I'm an example, coming from a "real" physical studio environment. I sold my operation and didn't do any recording for several years, but when I looked at Cakewalk Pro Audio for the first time, I knew exactly what I was seeing, because it was graphically designed to look like the hardware I'd been using. It even had "transport" controls! I -- and I'm guessing thousands of my peers -- jumped in and started using the DAW, exactly the same way I had used my studio.

I could still do good work and make high-quality recordings, and the software itself kept improving, becoming more powerful and versatile, but I was basically using the DAW like an old-fashioned recording studio. When I got stuck with the technology I came here and found help, mostly, it seemed, from people just like me. (And I stayed for the community, by the way.)

Somewhere along the way the newbies arrived -- non-musicians who didn't know how the studio is "supposed" to be used, but who intuitively grasped the power of laptop-style digital recording with drum machines and loops, and went to town. These DJs and producers gravitated not toward old standards like SONAR or Cubase, but to newer, non-legacy software. I've never used Ableton Live, but my guess is that it looks a lot less like a tape machine and a console. Because, who needs that? So we never saw them here in any great numbers, and Twelve-Tone/Roland/Gibson never saw them at the checkout screen, either. Most of us would have complained vehemently if SONAR went all hip hop, and the "kids" still wouldn't have bought it anyway. My era was more or less over. (I just didn't know I was dead, so I was able to keep writing, performing and recording new music.)

I'm not going to change my basic style of recording and music that I've done my whole career, and I'm not worried that all the old-fashioned, standard DAWs are going to disappear before I do. One of the benefits of The Gibson Fiasco is that I went out and explored several different DAWs for the first time since I started with Cakewalk Pro Audio, and was pleasantly surprised. If Bandlab some day dumps SONAR or drastically changes it so I can't use it, I'll find something to use that I'm comfortable with.

Meantime, hats off to the next generation, even if I have no idea what they're up to.  

I don't think there was any ever real need to make DAW's look like real mixing consoles outside of a marketing perspective. In other words, I don't think the lack of a "console look" would have ever stopped analog guys from adopting the world of digital editing and mixing. Let's imagine that the full editing and mixing capabilities of today's Sonar had been available in 1984. Back then, computers couldn't handle a GUI like today's DAW's, and the resulting program would have probably looked nothing like an analog studio. It would have been quite utilitarian, but it wouldn't have stopped anyone from using it. In fact I think most analog guys would have been excited beyond belief to use it. 

So it was definitely a marketing ploy used at a time when a) digital recording and mixing was becoming affordable and b) computers had powerful enough graphics capabilities to handle such a GUI. I should imagine that if computers had powerful graphics cards back when word processors were becoming popular among writers, then we probably would have seen word processors with GUI's designed to mimic typewriters (makes me cringe just thinking about it). But since word processors became popular back when computers were very modest, that whole angle never took off. So the utilitarian look became "the norm" for word processors pretty early on, and any attempt to introduce a skeuomorphic look for them later on would have been met with ridicule. 

I must admit I'm definitely leaning away from the skeuomorphic look, not just in DAW's but apps in general. I can really appreciate a design like the Valhalla plugins, or the stock synths in DAW's like Ableton and Bitwig which are purely functional and look nothing like real synths. I have no desire to imagine that I'm sitting in a real studio with real gear. In fact the less unnecessary clutter in a GUI, the better as far as I'm concerned. Just give me the functionality in the clearest way possible!

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Larry Jones
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/17 05:48:28 (permalink)
sharke
I don't think there was any ever real need to make DAW's look like real mixing consoles outside of a marketing perspective. In other words, I don't think the lack of a "console look" would have ever stopped analog guys from adopting the world of digital editing and mixing.

True enough, but not really my point. What I was getting at is that all those early DAWs appeared to work the same way -- in fact, the same way your old-fashioned studio worked. Newer DAWs don't, and the graphics they use look hipper than the boring old fader-and-timeline look. For all I know, they are hipper. Whatever, the new young practitioners like them better. I prefer the skeuomorphic look -- that way I don't have to relearn things that I spent years getting used to. People that didn't spend years naturally don't care,and that is probably reflected in sales. Why is there not a Studio One with a Matrix/Performance view? Maybe it's too hard to rebuild. I don't know.

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/17 06:08:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Steev 2018/03/17 13:08:08
All these whiners. Come up with a doable solution or piss off. I'm so tired of losers who never contribute.

Larry Jones
Re: Hard Honesty, Mixed Feelings on the Fate of SONAR 2018/03/17 06:22:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sharke 2018/03/17 15:28:44
backwoods
All these whiners. Come up with a doable solution or piss off. I'm so tired of losers who never contribute.

What do you need a solution to?

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1