Helpful ReplyHarrison Mixbus - has anyone used it?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
kevmsmith81
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 259
2017/12/14 14:37:03 (permalink)

Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it?

Anybody tried this?  At a price of $49 this almost seems to be too good to be true.  I'm gonna download the demo and give it a try but if anybody has any first hand experience I'd be grateful to hear it.  I know the bundled plugins are a bit limited but that's not so much of an issue.
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it? 2017/12/14 14:40:06 (permalink)
Yep, it's good for some things, but I wouldn't say it's what you'd want to use for everything. It's great for mixing in an analog kind of way.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
kevmsmith81
Re: Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it? 2017/12/14 15:03:50 (permalink)
OK, thanks.  I'm gonna give the demo a download.  I may well take advantage whilst the price is low, and I can always buy Reaper later if need be seeing as it's the same price all the time.
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it? 2017/12/14 15:16:47 (permalink)
I'm still faster with Sonar, but I'm doing new projects in Mixbus.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
kevmsmith81
Re: Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it? 2017/12/14 15:30:09 (permalink)
I've just thought, the way I look at it, if SONAR does stop working and I don't like the recording aspect of Mixbus, I can always record using the free version of Studio One and mix in Mixbus.  Plus there are free versions of Tracktion available as well.

There's always an alternative.
bdickens
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 847
Re: Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it? 2017/12/14 16:12:37 (permalink)
I just started working with it. It is heavily focused on audio. As Harrison puts it themselves, the idea behind Mixbus is to replicate mixing on a Harrison analog console.

If you are doing EDM or composing virtual symphonies with tons of soft synths or loops, it probably isn't for you.

If you need heavy-duty audio editing with lots of time and/ or pitch correction, it probably isn't for you.

If you are mixing already recorded and edited tracks or recording live instruments by people who can actually play, it is fantastic.

Byron Dickens
kevmsmith81
Re: Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it? 2017/12/14 16:23:22 (permalink)
bdickens
I just started working with it. It is heavily focused on audio. As Harrison puts it themselves, the idea behind Mixbus is to replicate mixing on a Harrison analog console.

If you are doing EDM or composing virtual symphonies with tons of soft synths or loops, it probably isn't for you.

If you need heavy-duty audio editing with lots of time and/ or pitch correction, it probably isn't for you.

If you are mixing already recorded and edited tracks or recording live instruments by people who can actually play, it is fantastic.

Cool, thanks.  I do actually do a bit of EDM, but that's more of an occasional experimental thing and truth be told SONAR is functional so I can use that for now.  If need be, I can purchase Reaper cheaply enough which is pretty flexible when it comes to recording and  mixing. 

Most of what I do is acoustic type covers, with a bit of soft synth drums and maybe piano or keyboard sounds.  A lot of the midi stuff I do is via the piano roll, which is know is available in Mixbus, but I do occasionally use a keyboard to enter MIDI data.  Does Mixbus allow use of MIDI keyboard inputs?

Either way, I do like the sound of Mixbus for how it may work for my acoustic stuff and with the price it is currently seems too good to pass up.
Vilovilo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 335
Re: Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it? 2017/12/14 20:20:30 (permalink)
Hi Kevin,
I went towards Mixbus because of the price.
Though I did not yet go deeply into it ,to answer your demand concerning midi ins and outs : yes you can ,I mused around with Diva and with the sampled pianos from Digital Sound Factory using Rapture Pro and for sure you can play.
Didn't go into editing ,and for sure,I will have to follow the owner's manual because Mixbus is clearly less intuitive than Sonar in this area.
Also it is quite demanding to the CPU ,but while the latency announced is not good,the practical use of softsynth is quite ok ,no problems if you want to add a synth part to the audio material.
The Gui is appealing to me because I like to have the console view being more important than the track view.
Routing is quite intuitive by the way.
So hope it helps.
Mixbus seems to be usable as a daw but I think you cannot do everything with it.
I actually agree with bdickens and I have the same feelings.
I am also trying a little bit Reaper which seems to be really efficient when it comes to CPU optimisation.
Personnaly ,I will cary on with Sonar,try to learn to get what I can from Mixbus,and I am really looking towards an offer from Magix but not the one concerning Samplitude but ,the Vegas one which is quite appealing,though one hundred here and one hundred and a half there makes a lot of monney spent at the end......
All the best.
Olivier.
kevmsmith81
Re: Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it? 2017/12/14 20:54:21 (permalink)
Vilovilo
Hi Kevin,
I went towards Mixbus because of the price.
Though I did not yet go deeply into it ,to answer your demand concerning midi ins and outs : yes you can ,I mused around with Diva and with the sampled pianos from Digital Sound Factory using Rapture Pro and for sure you can play.
Didn't go into editing ,and for sure,I will have to follow the owner's manual because Mixbus is clearly less intuitive than Sonar in this area.
Also it is quite demanding to the CPU ,but while the latency announced is not good,the practical use of softsynth is quite ok ,no problems if you want to add a synth part to the audio material.
The Gui is appealing to me because I like to have the console view being more important than the track view.
Routing is quite intuitive by the way.
So hope it helps.
Mixbus seems to be usable as a daw but I think you cannot do everything with it.
I actually agree with bdickens and I have the same feelings.
I am also trying a little bit Reaper which seems to be really efficient when it comes to CPU optimisation.
Personnaly ,I will cary on with Sonar,try to learn to get what I can from Mixbus,and I am really looking towards an offer from Magix but not the one concerning Samplitude but ,the Vegas one which is quite appealing,though one hundred here and one hundred and a half there makes a lot of monney spent at the end......
All the best.
Olivier.

Thanks for that. I've decided I really can't miss this price for Mixbus, having seen the usual price.

After that I will put some money aside and either buy Reaper or Studio One Pro if I need to get something else.  I would get Studio One now if I had that level of cash spare, but sadly I don't which is a shame because again the crossgrade price is amazing currently.

I was a Studio One free version user before I purchased SONAR and I loved its ease of use. 
clintmartin
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3893
Re: Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it? 2017/12/14 22:13:30 (permalink)
It was $29 during Black Friday, and probably will be again before Christmas.
I love Mixbus, but I don't do much with midi.

Cakewalk, Harrison Mixbus 4, Waveform 9, ADK intel i7 2600 3.40 ghz, 8gb Ram, Win 7, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL. 
http://www.youtube.com/c/clintmartinmusic
https://itunes.apple.com/...lint-martin/1010966023
https://open.spotify.com/artist/4x4TBz32i56bTJkgu7b4tN

kevmsmith81
Re: Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it? 2017/12/14 22:29:57 (permalink)
clintmartin
It was $29 during Black Friday, and probably will be again before Christmas.
I love Mixbus, but I don't do much with midi.

I've downloaded and had a play with the demo. I've not tested out midi functionality at all, but for my simple acoustic stuff at least, for less than £40 I'm sold.  Payday tomorrow and with it being my birthday on Saturday I'm going to treat myself to it. 
Vilovilo
  • Total Posts : 335
Re: Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it? 2017/12/14 22:50:30 (permalink)
So we will have to wait until saturday to wish you happy birthday then.....
kevmsmith81
Re: Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it? 2017/12/14 23:06:16 (permalink)
Vilovilo
So we will have to wait until saturday to wish you happy birthday then.....

Well, I've gotta do something to celebrate getting a bit closer to 40 haha.
clintmartin
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3893
Re: Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it? 2017/12/14 23:39:31 (permalink)
My birthday is tomorrow! I'll be 49.

Cakewalk, Harrison Mixbus 4, Waveform 9, ADK intel i7 2600 3.40 ghz, 8gb Ram, Win 7, Presonus Audiobox 44VSL. 
http://www.youtube.com/c/clintmartinmusic
https://itunes.apple.com/...lint-martin/1010966023
https://open.spotify.com/artist/4x4TBz32i56bTJkgu7b4tN

gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it? 2017/12/15 00:13:37 (permalink)
Happy birthday.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
toonertik
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it? 2017/12/15 00:34:35 (permalink)
Hi Kevin, 
Happy B_Day>> 40 omg you getting old boy... haha, I am in my 60's.. well my body is, damn it.
As to Mixbus... yeah go and get it... btw, if you demo it, they will probably offer it to you for $29 BUT without the FX.. well that is what I did.
As another poster said, it is great for mixing... not sure I like the Ardour engine that Harrison have use to put their mixer on (it's seems clunky but very capable and another workflow to learn) but bounce/render/stem (whatever;)) and mix.. oh YES, it has a lovely sound and a real 1970's/80's vibe about it.
It does seem like it uses CPU but that seems to remain fairly constant if just using the mixer and it's inbuilt FX. Harrison do state that they are always running, so it's not a big CPU hit on my system...
Anyway... the old saying>> "taste and try before you buy", I had the demo for a few months and eventually cracked... $29 or $49 is really a no brainer for this quality!
M@
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 221
Re: Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it? 2017/12/15 06:37:20 (permalink)
What about the Essential Plugins ?
$49,- wir or $29,- without.....as I probably will be using other DAW'S as well I think I'd rather be using the same VST plugs in all?
Are the especially good sounding or exceptionally low CPU?

Anyone got some feedback? Thanks

Tracking: Sonar Platinum (X3 Producer, X2 studio, X1 expanded, 8.3) (64bit)
System: Win10 Pro (64bit), Asus  P8Z77 V Le Plus, I7-3770k, 16GB Ram, SSD System drive, Raid1 Recording & Backup drive, VS-700 Set, TC Konnekt 48
Instruments: Roland Juno Stage, Kawai CA5, Washburn X50Pro, Blackstar-One100, Merida,...
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it? 2017/12/15 07:18:52 (permalink)
I doubt you will be able to use any Harrison plugins in other Windows DAWs (except perhaps Ardour which MB is built on and maybe other Linux based DAWs if you use Linux?) they aren't VST, they are LV2 (unless they have changed since last I looked) I have Mixbus 3 and 4 but couldn't be bothered using them.

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

M@
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 221
Re: Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it? 2017/12/15 08:52:05 (permalink)
Hi Matron,
You've got a point there. I knew the Harrison plugs can't be used elsewhere and actually was wondering if I should be getting the Harrison plugins in addition to my regular set of Vst plugins (should they be exceptionally good....)
I might as well save the 20bucks

Tracking: Sonar Platinum (X3 Producer, X2 studio, X1 expanded, 8.3) (64bit)
System: Win10 Pro (64bit), Asus  P8Z77 V Le Plus, I7-3770k, 16GB Ram, SSD System drive, Raid1 Recording & Backup drive, VS-700 Set, TC Konnekt 48
Instruments: Roland Juno Stage, Kawai CA5, Washburn X50Pro, Blackstar-One100, Merida,...
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it? 2017/12/15 09:00:58 (permalink)
People so day they are good, but you will be stuck to using them in Mixbus and not much else.

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

kevmsmith81
Re: Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it? 2017/12/15 09:31:13 (permalink)
toonertik
Hi Kevin, 
Happy B_Day>> 40 omg you getting old boy... haha, I am in my 60's.. well my body is, damn it.
As to Mixbus... yeah go and get it... btw, if you demo it, they will probably offer it to you for $29 BUT without the FX.. well that is what I did.
As another poster said, it is great for mixing... not sure I like the Ardour engine that Harrison have use to put their mixer on (it's seems clunky but very capable and another workflow to learn) but bounce/render/stem (whatever;)) and mix.. oh YES, it has a lovely sound and a real 1970's/80's vibe about it.
It does seem like it uses CPU but that seems to remain fairly constant if just using the mixer and it's inbuilt FX. Harrison do state that they are always running, so it's not a big CPU hit on my system...
Anyway... the old saying>> "taste and try before you buy", I had the demo for a few months and eventually cracked... $29 or $49 is really a no brainer for this quality!

Well, not quite 40, just closer (about to turn 36).

M@
Hi Matron,
You've got a point there. I knew the Harrison plugs can't be used elsewhere and actually was wondering if I should be getting the Harrison plugins in addition to my regular set of Vst plugins (should they be exceptionally good....)
I might as well save the 20bucks

I decided I'm going to get Mixbus with the Essentials VST pack, as the bundled goodies are the selling point for me, otherwise I may as well just get Reaper.
Geo524
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 647
Re: Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it? 2017/12/15 09:42:34 (permalink)
I have Mixbus v4 but gave up on using it as a DAW. It was very unstable on my system.

Win 10 x 64; CbB; SPlat; MixCraft 8 Pro; AMD FX4130, 3.8 GHz; DDR3 32 GB Ram; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20; SSD 1TB, 2 x 1TB and 1 x 640 GB HDD; Mackie HR624 Monitors, KRK G2 Rockit 5's, Dual HP S2331 23" Monitors
Music and SFX 
http://www.radiosparx.com/georgeandmarguerite

kevmsmith81
Re: Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it? 2017/12/15 10:16:44 (permalink)
Geo524
I have Mixbus v4 but gave up on using it as a DAW. It was very unstable on my system.

I've bought it now.  Based on my experience with the demo it seems fine to me.  We shall see though.  Even if it doesn't work out so well, I've not spent a fortune on it.
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it? 2017/12/15 10:31:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kevmsmith81 2017/12/15 10:39:02
M@
What about the Essential Plugins ?
$49,- wir or $29,- without.....as I probably will be using other DAW'S as well I think I'd rather be using the same VST plugs in all?
Are the especially good sounding or exceptionally low CPU?

Anyone got some feedback? Thanks

The whole concept behind Harrison Mixbus is you don't really need much in the way of plugs if you are doing it right
I have bought Harrison plugs as far back as when I was using Mixbus 2.5 and they are still licensed and fully functional in Mixbus 4 .
I do not mind for one second that I can not use them in another DAW because they are exceptional ...

People that don't know Mixbus or pretend to know  Mixbus don't know the real truth concerning  Harrison Mixbus so I don't even bother listening to them

What is the truth you ask ? Do you think you can you handle it ?

A Mixbus user that doesn't even own a licensed Harrison plug  can effectively collaborate with a Mixbus user that owns every Harrison Mixbus plug and when the Mixbus project plays the Mixbus user with out the licensed plugs project will play with the same exact settings as The Mixbus users project that owns all the the pugs ...
ALL THE SETTINGS WILL BE EXACTLY THE SAME .....this is a courtesy that Harrision has provided for all Mixbus users

In addition to that all the Harrison plugs work even if you don't own a license for them .
You just have to know Mixbus and what you are doing

Before I say another word I want to be very clear that I am not suggesting that a person should try to cheat Harrison deliberately and use what I am about to share as a blank check to not pay for $hit ....

I am only posting this for info for the benefit of the person that would like to be able to demo the plugs and then eventually buy them ...

My first pic is of a Harrison plug I own

Notice the GUI and how slick it is ...

This pic is of the same plug using only the generic controls ..

BTW I happen to like using the generic controls because they are very easy to automate    

This next pic is a Harrison plug I do not own a license for and yet I have full control over all it's parameters and they are fully automate able .....

The last plug is The Harrison Look Ahead Compressor ....Sweet Plug ...on my next to buy list ...

Now that we are clear , I can say that I am able to demo the plug w out restriction while using the generic GUI  & I am able to put it through its paces ...
For the record , I choose to use only the plugs from Harrison that I have purchased ...

It's called integrity

all the best ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

kevmsmith81
Re: Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it? 2017/12/15 10:41:20 (permalink)
I've just bought Mixbus with the Essentials collection for $49 (a smidge under £38 in UK money), which for me is a great deal.  I imported the wav files from one of my SONAR projects into the demo of Mixbus and had a play with it.  I will say that it's not quite as intuitive as SONAR or Studio One, however there seems to be a great deal of power under the hood and I'm looking forward to getting to grips with it.

Once I'd seen how it works, I couldn't pass the deal up.
toonertik
Re: Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it? 2017/12/15 13:32:20 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz

Now that we are clear , I can say that I am able to demo the plug w out restriction while using the generic GUI  & I am able to put it through its paces ...
For the record , I choose to use only the plugs from Harrison that I have purchased ...

It's called integrity

all the best ,

Kenny

Yes Kenny, I found that trick a few months ago and was gonna keep it ssshhh and let the paid user discover this if they dig around forums etc >>"I call it integrity" ;), and I very very rarely use it as I have other suitable VST's but for sure Harrison have been doing this on a very professional level for many years... they know their stuff.
Glad you bought it Kevin,
I use other DAWs to create in but to render the stems and mix in MB is quiet an experience... you will HEAR the difference.. not all DAWs sound the same if the are designed to sound "their" way... not an argument about the so called "Digital engine debate"... Harrison deliberately add their magic>>> enjoy))
Colin. 
kevmsmith81
Re: Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it? 2017/12/15 13:40:17 (permalink)
I will still try recording in it and see how it goes.  Failing that, I can record in SONAR whilst it's working, or indeed Studio One Prime (which is a mightily impressive freebie), and then just use Mixbus for the mixing side of things, so I have plenty of options I can fall back on.  I was also intending on purchasing a licence for Reaper as that's got something about it which I like, and it's nice to have options.

I was watching the tutorial videos for Mixbus on Youtube and was very impressed with the bundled in Reverb plugin.  I've been a huge fan of the Sonitus one for its combination of great sound and ease of use, but I think the Gverb bundled with mixbus rivals it, probably even beats it, based on what I've seen.

toonertik
Re: Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it? 2017/12/15 13:59:04 (permalink)
Ah yes... the not so grim Reaper... I have been using it since about 2007 and watched it grow.
I am not a Reaper_Fanboi in any sense but it is my go to DAW as it offers so much, although it also frustrates me but hey, I can even frustrate myself at times ;))))
Do check it out as it has many tricks, like superb routing.. VCA faders... automation_Items as well as regular envelope lanes... and something I use a lot... the ability to modulate parameters with inbuilt LFOs, audio_envelopes and from other plugin parameters and ofc MIDI. 
Oh and a very active forum where you can get involved with betas (installed as "Portable" ) so you can learn new features whilst still keeping your stable release for production work... updates are so regular that alone set it out from others.. they can be every day or so as errors or user desires are sorted or incorporated. 
As I say not a "fanboi" as I also use Samplitude for other intensive tasks and still have Sonar (nostalgia really haha) and Project5.. for Psyn and the original DXi only Dimension_NOT_Pro ((( 
gbowling
  • Total Posts : 315
Re: Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it? 2017/12/15 14:22:20 (permalink)
How can you download mixbus plugs to demo? I don't mind demo'ing them in the generic-gui mode but can't seem to find how to download them. Not sure how you get them to try in generic mode.

I'm using S1P for recording, but am considering using mixbus (I purchased the essentials bundle too) for final mixing and mastering from stems. But I'm trying to decide which other plugs (if any) from mixbus that I should buy for my purpose. Would be nice to demo them prior to making a decision.

thanks, gabo

kevmsmith81
Re: Harrison Mixbus - has anyone used it? 2017/12/15 14:26:53 (permalink)
gbowling
How can you download mixbus plugs to demo? I don't mind demo'ing them in the generic-gui mode but can't seem to find how to download them. Not sure how you get them to try in generic mode.

I'm using S1P for recording, but am considering using mixbus (I purchased the essentials bundle too) for final mixing and mastering from stems. But I'm trying to decide which other plugs (if any) from mixbus that I should buy for my purpose. Would be nice to demo them prior to making a decision.

thanks, gabo

I think someone said if you get sent a project file from someone who uses those plugins they'll come up for you. 
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1