He Ain't Heavy--2nd remix

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Mamabear
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8954
2008/06/09 23:44:43 (permalink)

He Ain't Heavy--2nd remix

I thought of this song a couple weeks ago and really wanted to try it. But I found one especially good version on youtube and figured it's already been done to perfection and I couldn't improve on it. But then I thought, "ah, what the heck-I wanna do it anyway." So I did. Only took three days (so far!), which is a record by far.

No one's heard this yet--the mix is all mine. So fire away--I really want to know how to make it better. Piano players, any suggestions on the piano part especially would be welcome. (Peggy Sue, where are you?) I practiced this one enough that I actually played it straight through. (I was reading the music though.) Then fixed it up a bit with prv. Yes, even those of us with long skinny fingers miss notes too! Jonbouy--I hope the piano is loud enough for you. I tried!

EDIT: OK, I rolled some off the bottom end on the piano, like suggested. Hopefully it's better!

2nd remix: lots of changes on this one...
post edited by Mamabear - 2008/06/15 10:48:35

37 Replies Related Threads

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: He Ain't Heavy 2008/06/10 00:04:58 (permalink)
    Mama,
    It's one of my all time favorite songs. You played it beautifully. The string arrangement was lovely.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    RE: He Ain't Heavy 2008/06/10 00:40:24 (permalink)
    I must lead a sheltered life; I've never heard this song before. But it's really nice they way you performed/arranged it. But... wow... when I saw the photo icon you chose, it really put it in perspective. Very emotional, very powerful. Great work, MaBs.
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: He Ain't Heavy 2008/06/10 00:43:31 (permalink)
    Daaaang girl!

You sure know how to caress the ivory.

The flute was a tad overwhelming here at times, but its a great sounding patch. I might volume envelope it.

When I grow up, I wanna play just like you.

Also a great song, and you seemed to capture the emotion well.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Mamabear
    RE: He Ain't Heavy 2008/06/10 00:44:09 (permalink)
    Thanks, both of you! This song came out in 1969--I figured most of us around here were around then. But maybe not... Here's the link so you can hear the words. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7HPqi5uVeo

And yeah, I looked for pictures of brothers, etc., then finally decided that soldiers would fit great. I have several friends who are or have been over there, so it's sorta close to my heart.
    post edited by Mamabear - 2008/06/10 01:12:38
    Mamabear
    RE: He Ain't Heavy 2008/06/10 00:47:39 (permalink)
    Shad, you must have been writing while I was! Thanks. I'll have a listen to that flute again. It's carrying the melody in the second verse, so it needed to stand out, but maybe I overdid it. Man, it's hard to get these things right!!
    foxwolfen
    RE: He Ain't Heavy 2008/06/10 01:06:05 (permalink)
    Do recall, my monitors might be different in that area than yours. I also may be a tad over-sensitve to the sound as I had a lot of trouble with the flutes in my "Sinbad's Theme" song. You should probably get some other input before deciding that any change needs to be done.

What flute patch was that by the way?

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    rhynosynth
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 520
    RE: He Ain't Heavy 2008/06/10 01:07:34 (permalink)
    Hello Janet, Love this song. My favorite ( and the only one I can think of right now) by the Hollies. This is really a beatiful version. I don't no what kinda trumpet samples you have, but since the song goes for 4 min+ a short break from the flutes with a nice melodic horn solo might just put this version over the edge. (not that it's not fantastic as is). I can't wait to hear the final mix.

Rhyno
    Freeze1st
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1213
    RE: He Ain't Heavy 2008/06/10 01:10:23 (permalink)
    Excellent playing and top notch as always Janet!

Is this the song that they played in "Zoolander" where Ben Stiller was walking down the road going home or away, I can't remember what he was doing but I think this is where I heard it. Not sure. Just wondering if anyone's seen that movie.

Excellent performance and recording!!!

Keep on keepin' on!

MC4,Bossbr1600,Maudio2496,Vista HP, Stinger Electric Guitar,New York Pro Bass, MXL V67
    kayehl
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 846
    RE: He Ain't Heavy 2008/06/10 08:51:07 (permalink)
    i liked it - your piano performance was very dynamic and the flute and string parts sound nice. The drums are pretty great - is that ssession drummer?

I am not an expert
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: He Ain't Heavy 2008/06/10 09:46:21 (permalink)
    Janet - this is really great! but you need some high tenor vocals and harmony on this! Think you can pull that off??

I'm listening on a crappy soundmax and crappy headphones so I don't want to go into mix without a decent reference, but on this system things are sounding pretty good.
    post edited by Beagle - 2008/06/10 10:54:04

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: He Ain't Heavy 2008/06/10 10:15:01 (permalink)
    I remember this song Janet. Was it done by Procol Harem?? (I hope I spelled that right) I think you did justice to this song lady! Simply played and executed beautifully.... Loved the picture..My son did 2 tours of duty over there, so I can relate.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    Mamabear
    RE: He Ain't Heavy 2008/06/10 11:54:47 (permalink)
    Reece--I love it when people say "it sounds great on my crappy speakers!" LOL. But thanks. And I'm going to respond to your post before you edited it, when you said, "you need some really scratchy gutteral vocals on this!" And my response is: until I get a de-esser for this new mic, Melodyne and some more practice, I could add some really breathy, off-key, blah vocals. But I'll spare you... I could actually do tenor, etc., but it's not a pretty thing... Maybe some day...

Thanks, Larry. I looked it up on youtube and it was done by the Hollies. Barry Manilow did a great version of it, but I can't find it right now. Yeah, I didn't have soldiers in mind when I worked on it, but it seemed to fit when I was looking for a picture. Glad your son made it back safely!

Thanks, Kevin! The drums are SD2. I just downloaded some new free beats from GrooveMonkey and used one of those. Now that I finally figured out how to use SD2 and have put it in a few songs I was feeling limited with the beats. I really like this one too. Thanks.
    post edited by Mamabear - 2008/06/10 12:00:40
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: He Ain't Heavy 2008/06/10 12:13:37 (permalink)
    This song turns me to mush anyhow so its an unfair advantage but....

Eureka I can hear the Piano...and very nice it is too...YAY!!!...

Nice arrangement too but I'm sure you'll play around with it some more.

Are you sure you're gonna be able to sing it in this key???

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: He Ain't Heavy 2008/06/10 15:34:35 (permalink)
    nice job. the flute was good. piano was good too.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    tdye
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1926
    RE: He Ain't Heavy 2008/06/10 18:40:32 (permalink)
    Janet, love the string arrangement. A beautiful song, performed beautifully! Sonically, I thought it seemed a little bottom heavy, rumbled some. I think it could use a little EQ low freq cut.

Tom
    http://www.soundclick.com/tomdye
    http://www.ourstage.com/profile/tomdye
    http://twitter.com/tom_dye

Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 w/HyperThreading 3.2GHz, 3 GB Ram, Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    Sonar 8 Producer Edition, Rapture, Project5
    foxwolfen
    RE: He Ain't Heavy 2008/06/10 18:43:47 (permalink)
    I have had this song in my head all day!

He aint heav aaaaaayyyyy - heee'sss my broth 'aaaaaa

Composers Forum
    6StringGeek
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 188
    RE: He Ain't Heavy 2008/06/10 20:11:52 (permalink)
    wow. very pretty. you have great piano skillz!

-Inspiron 530s, Core2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 4MB cache
    -SONAR 7 Studio/EZDrummer/Lambda/Toneport UX1

"You want to walk away from your dreams, or do you want to come in
    here with me, like the Tenacious D I know, and change rock history!"

Mamabear
    RE: He Ain't Heavy 2008/06/10 20:20:35 (permalink)
    Jon--I'm glad you're happy finally. And no, I'm not gonna ruin it with my vocals. I'll try to ruin another song with my vocals. This one is too nice. And what was that enigmatic comment about playing around with it some more? What are you suggesting? Come on, you can tell me! Actually, I want to be done with it, but we'll see. It's not exactly like I was hearing it in my mind (I heard different horns) but I just got to the point where it was enough. And I have a few songs to do for friends right now, so this one might just stay like it is for awhile. But I'm still curious...

And thanks, Herb.

Tom, thanks so much. I'll see what I can do about eq'ing it. This is the first song that anyone said was bottom heavy, so at least I'm getting more bass in there!

Shad, I hope it didn't bother you singing it all day!

Dan--thanks very much!
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: He Ain't Heavy 2008/06/10 20:31:01 (permalink)
    Ok, I heard a prelim version, :-) Let's see, "phoning up"...

oh... Oh, Oh Yes, OH Yes, YES YES YES OH GOD YES! (Sorry, I was having a Meg Ryan moment)...

This is one of my all time favorite songs. And I know all the words and can sing it (with feeling) by heart. The Band "immortalized" this song.

And this is a brilliant remake of a timeless classic.

I like the delicate piano intro. I really love the cellos, and the flute, the way that they express the melody, and play off of each other, while the piano carries underneath. The drums are perfect, for this, understated as they should be.

I listened again and sang with it this time. An excellent interpretation of a timeless classic, very nicely done :-)

I would enjoy an opportunity to lay down a vocal track for this. Especially since I’m not good for much else with the finger at this point. Very nice, really very nice.

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: He Ain't Heavy 2008/06/10 21:54:22 (permalink)
    Janet,
    This is wonderful.
    I've always liked this song, and even now, I can picture the sheets of Father Flannigan stamps( which I believe inspired the song in the first place). The photo you selected is priceless, and is the spririt of this song.
    I played this at work today, then listened to your catalog. You started out nice, and it has been a joy to hear you evolve. This is the most heartfelt and confident piece you have done to date. This had to feel great while you were playing. You are just drilling those keys. Tell me your eyes weren't wet when you hit that last note.
    Overall balance is outstanding, not quite getting a rumble, but possibly a bit heavy in the low end. Just a touch.
    I'm hearing a good balance on all of the instruments here.
    I would be very proud of this one.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Mamabear
    RE: He Ain't Heavy 2008/06/10 23:20:07 (permalink)
    Robby--there's no one I'd rather have do vocals on this! Thanks.

Bob--thanks to you too. I owe at least half of any evolving to you. Thanks again! This probably sounds better partly because it's a well-known and well-loved song and I've had years to think about playing it. I actually practiced it for a week before I did this. Maybe that's an idea for my other songs... Anyway, I just posted a new mix with some of the bottom end rolled off. And yes, I had help--I wouldn't have a clue how to do that myself.
    foxwolfen
    RE: He Ain't Heavy 2008/06/10 23:35:52 (permalink)
    heh heh heh

Nah, its a memorable tune and you did it well.

Composers Forum
    bbrewer366
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: He Ain't Heavy 2008/06/10 23:39:55 (permalink)

Hey Janet!

This song is awesome. I see you took the advice from some to roll off the bottom end.
    I love the feeling you have put into this song. I envy you for being able to compose such sweet instrumentals. It is becoming a lost art.
    I am also glad that you understood what some said about the sound and corrected it.......good job.
    Criticism is hard to take but, you obviously are taking this seriously and have stepped up to the plate.

I can't wait to hear more............as robby said................we all want to sing along.
    It is a rendition that I feel is so fresh and new, you could do a top 10 with this..........

PLAY ON
    Bruce

My Soundclick Page
    [link]http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=830957

Win 8.1
    8GB Ram, i5 intel processor, 2 SSD drives 
    ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: He Ain't Heavy 2008/06/11 00:00:10 (permalink)
    Janet,
    Very nice, like RobertB said, heartfelt and confident. It's obvious that this song means a lot to you. Nice violin and strings arrangement, flute too. I like how the violin and flute have a "thinnish" sound to them which helps them really contribute when they are present but share the space well with the rest of the instruments. Nice work Janet, you are definitely growing.
    kayehl
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 846
    RE: He Ain't Heavy 2008/06/11 05:16:30 (permalink)
    big improvement with the high pass filter -- it seems to clear everything up where you can tune in to each instrument.

i keep hearing a harmonica in this, i think that would be nice to add especially on the intro and outtro.
    post edited by kayehl - 2008/06/11 06:03:46

I am not an expert
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: He Ain't Heavy 2008/06/11 16:01:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mamabear

Anyway, I just posted a new mix with some of the bottom end rolled off. And yes, I had help--I wouldn't have a clue how to do that myself.

There ya go, I correctly suspected you'd play with it some more...

I couldn't fault it before and still can't.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    tdye
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1926
    RE: He Ain't Heavy 2008/06/11 22:06:21 (permalink)
    Janet, much cleaner sounding and brighter. I like the change. Beautiful playing, just wonderful music. The picture you put up with the song adds as well. Thanks for sharing.

Tom
    http://www.soundclick.com/tomdye
    http://www.ourstage.com/profile/tomdye
    http://twitter.com/tom_dye

Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 w/HyperThreading 3.2GHz, 3 GB Ram, Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    Sonar 8 Producer Edition, Rapture, Project5
    rolifer@verizon.net
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1676
    RE: He Ain't Heavy 2008/06/11 23:37:17 (permalink)
    Janet

I just finished up for the day (11:30 PM). They had us start at 7:30 this morning and we worked thru lunch and supper, making today the longest day yet without a break, so keep that in mind with my critique. I did 21 proofs today!!! My head is about ready to explode.

I can hear a huge difference in violin and the flute and I am positive you do as well. I think though that the relative loudness of thye instruments is a touch off. A violin is a very loud instrument and you have it in here very very soft. If you want the strings that soft, then drop an octave and go with a cello. Otherwise you need to bring the violin up in volume. In order for this piece to be true, the violin would have to be either at ppp to pp all of the time, or he is standing off in the corner.

The more I listen to this and the way you have it arranged, I think that you would be better off with a cello than with a violin. You can keep the lower strings in the background like this, whereas a violin wants to be farther out front. Some of my facvorite pieces by myself and others are trios of piano, cello and flute. The 3 go togther great and there are a lot of classics composed that way.

Please don't think that any of this is meant to distract from a very good arrangement as you have it. I am also partial towards strings and like to see them more in the picture, but normally, that is what is done anyway.

I hope this is making sense, I have reread what I wrote and it doesn't make sense to me, but then at this point, not much does anyway. For the hours I am putting in here, they should have paid us more.

I gotta go to bed.

Still it is a great arrangement!!!

foxwolfen
    RE: He Ain't Heavy 2008/06/12 00:41:19 (permalink)
    I think I am going to agree with ron here in that a cello might fill in and warm up the bottom end a bit. Balance out the highs of the piano and flutes.

Composers Forum
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1