Hearing degradation with age

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
2011/03/17 17:27:22 (permalink)

Hearing degradation with age

I'm looking at some charts showing the effects of hearing degradation with age. It's depressing. And not just for older folks like me. (Sorry, these charts are in a book so I can't show them to you.)

Some harsh realities:

- you don't have to be in your 60's or 70's to have measurably worsened hearing. It starts in your early 30's. Actually, it starts in your 20's but it's initially too gradual to notice.

- it's worse for audio professionals, whose hearing starts to fade earlier and more dramatically than the general public. The charts don't say anything specifically about performing musicians, but I'm guessing they're considerably worse off than audio engineers.

- you also experience diminished dynamic range because as the threshold of hearing rises you also become more sensitive to loud sounds

- you lose the ability to discriminate between multiple sounds, which not only makes it hard to follow a conversation in a noisy room, but also makes it harder to perceive stereo separation in a mix. (This might not be altogether bad, because it makes you more sensitive to masking.)

- you will very likely suffer from tinnitus, an incurable condition that gets worse with age

Keep these points in mind the next time me or some other geezer is critiquing your song.

A little good news, though: our ability to judge frequency balance remains pretty good, at least up to where our hearing drops off altogether. This is because our hearing is amazingly adaptive, and we gradually accept a less-trebly reality as the norm and compare everything to that standard. Also, aside from the drop-off at the extreme high end, our response still pretty much follows the Fletcher-Munson curves throughout life. Consequently, we can still depend on our sense of spectral balance up to 10-12KHz or so. Above that, we should consult graphical displays for validation.

Last year I had the good fortune to sit next to an ear expert on a flight to Los Angeles. Great conversation! He said that new research suggests that contrary to long-held belief, some hearing degradation may actually be reversible. He offered me a tour of his department at the UW and gave me his email address -- but of course, I lost it. Man, would I love to pick that guy's brain some more.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff

30 Replies Related Threads

ericyeoman
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 976
    Re:Hearing degradation with age 2011/03/17 18:31:01 (permalink)
    Here's an interesting article on research into tinitus:

http://www.utdallas.edu/n...-Tinnitus_article.html

Only on rats so far, but human trials this year.

CuBase, Ableton, Steinberg UR-22 MKII, i7-4790K 4.00 Ghz, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM, Windows 10. 
    bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Hearing degradation with age 2011/03/17 19:11:19 (permalink)
    I don't know if it's hearing loss or not but I can't tell the difference between ANY of the Slate Digital VCC consoles and a RAW file without them. I did a test file of the four consoles punched up in level and "drive" +3b and an level adjusted version of the raw file. Even a good friend (with pretty good ears, IMHO) on this forum picked the wrong sample as the raw one.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Hearing degradation with age 2011/03/17 19:15:03 (permalink)
    Eh.  Speak up.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Hearing degradation with age 2011/03/17 19:15:34 (permalink)
    Is this thing working?

One. Two.

miguelito
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 391
    Re:Hearing degradation with age 2011/03/17 23:17:50 (permalink)
    What?

Mike

A Roseberry racer w/
    Win7 Pro (64) fully loaded
    RME UFX Fireface;
    Sonar X2;
    Guitars and amps. 
    Axon 100 MKII,
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88,
    Komplete 
    All software latest revision

yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re:Hearing degradation with age 2011/03/17 23:35:00 (permalink)
    That would be me. 

The thing is you can hear the VCC working quite easily.  But since it is a very subtle effect, picking each console out in a blind listening test proved problematic to say the least.  I ended up picking the console emulation I use most (SSL) as the raw file because it was the cleanest of Bapu's bunch.  I hope he posts his test here on the forum for younger and better ears to try.  I also look forward to getting the full 64bit version soon as my Neve doesn't work at all and I've never really used the Trident.  So, as per usual, I was only half informed when I took the test.  Nevertheless, I failed miserably.  Post er up, Baps.  Let's see what the other VCC owners can do:-)

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    Jimbo 88
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1828
    Re:Hearing degradation with age 2011/03/17 23:45:59 (permalink)
    When I was 24 I freaked out a tech guy in a recording studio because i could tell he accidentally put really high test frequencies thu a mixing board and into the monitors.  He thought i was goofing around with him.  He tried time and time again to prove i could not hear those frequencies,  but  no matter what he did I always new when the tones where there.

I also could never be in jewlery stores with security systems 'cause the high freq tones drove me crazy.

But now that I'm 52 those days are long gone.  I wonder if i can hear anything over 12k.

It seems to me all your senses suffer the same fate.  Both my vision and my hearing seem to be diminishing ...

Did i mention that I want my old head of hair back also??

craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re:Hearing degradation with age 2011/03/18 00:00:11 (permalink)
    I'm not 50, yet... But I can still hear high-pitched sounds sometimes and it can be very annoying especially when most others don't seem to be affected by it.  The biggest issue I had with my hearing came from being stupid around loud sounds when I was younger.  Firecrackers, race car engines, cranked headphones, Who concerts and, eventually, stupidly loud underground clubs in Los Angeles (where I used to do lighting for).  Many left me with somewhat temporary ringing in my ears which led to deficiencies in the frequencies I needed most (like those used by the telephone).  I didn't lose the high-end, just parts of the middle.  Being smarter for the last two dozen years has brought back most of my hearing in those frequencies, but it so far hasn't made up for the damage I did during the first two dozen years.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:Hearing degradation with age 2011/03/18 00:45:09 (permalink)
    I haven't been able to hear out of my right ear hardly at all since I was a kid. The Eustachian tube in my right ear is deformed and doesn't drain fluid from my ear. About a year ago I went to the ear doctor and he tried to put a tube in it at his office but he said my ear canal is deformed and he couldn't get it in so I had to go in the hospital to have it done. I woke up from the surgery and it felt like someone smashed my throat in with a baseball bat. I asked them what the hell happened and they said I stopped breathing on the operating table and they had to put a respirator down my throat and they had a hard time.

Well anyway ... Oh my God what a difference. I can actually hear better out of my right ear now because I had to have everything so loud over the years to hear it, I damaged my left ear. So basically I have the right ear of a 20 year old, and the left ear of a 60 year old. LOL :) He said all the fluid in there protected my ear from the loud noise of the band all those years kind of like having a wad of cotton jammed in there.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    Re:Hearing degradation with age 2011/03/18 00:48:38 (permalink)
    I had no idea what tinnitus was, other than when people would describe it, and even then it seemed like no big deal to me. Then I had this chemo treatment, and now it will not stop. There are times I look around for the source of the hissing, like there has to be something near my head causing that noise. And it is either ear, all day and all night. Fortunately the volume falls off at times, sometimes for hours, but never completely gone.

The ear nose and throat doctor who diagnosed the cancer has an audiologist in his office, and she did a hearing test for me last month. Seems I have lost the very high end in both ears, but not enough to cause any problems, more like some one who has been around loud machinery all of his life.

The real crime is that there was no loss at all from age (55) up until then, in fact I was very pleased at the quality of my hearing, especially at the higher freq's.

No more...

And thanks for the article, saved it for later reference, and so the wife can read it (she has it bad)

Later
    Albert 
    post edited by gamblerschoice - 2011/03/18 00:55:54

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    bitflipper
    Re:Hearing degradation with age 2011/03/18 00:58:32 (permalink)
    Interesting article, Eric. I hope it becomes a widely-available procedure before my own tinnitus gets bad.

As I read the article, I kept wondering how they gave the rats tinnitus. Did they lock them in the trunk of a teenager's Honda for a month?

Albert: so the chemo caused hearing degradation? That's the first I've heard of that. That really sucks. Some day future medical students will study bizarre ancient medical practices such as chemotherapy and bloodletting and shake their heads in disbelief.

My Stuff
    Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:Hearing degradation with age 2011/03/18 01:42:04 (permalink)
    I read on the back of a cold medicine box if you get a ringing in your ears to stop taking it immediately.

I keep seeing on TV a commercial for this gum you chew that stops tinnitus temporarily. Always wanted to try it but you can never believe those infomercials.

"Some day future medical students will study bizarre ancient medical practices such as chemotherapy and bloodletting and shake their heads in disbelief."

Reminds me of one of the Star Trek movies where they go back in time (the one with the whales maybe?). Bones passes this lady in the hallway of a hospital lying on a gurney and gives her a pill to cure some kind of terminal illness. She jumps off the stretcher and goes running through the hospital after she takes the pill.

Speaking of Star Trek, I was reading that William Shatner has Tinnitus really bad from an explosion while filming an episode of Star Trek. It happened on the set of the one where he's fighting a creature by himself and he makes gun powder to blow it up.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    tom1
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 559
    Re:Hearing degradation with age 2011/03/18 02:01:17 (permalink)
    Bitflipper:
    I'm looking at some charts showing the effects of hearing degradation with age. It's depressing. And not just for older folks like me.

Does this mean you may not be hearing the subtle nuances of the SE reflex fiilter? :)

Sonar Producer X2/ProTools/Cubase/Reaper
    Studio Cat 32 Gig Ram
    East West:
    Hollywood Strings/Brass/Woodwinds/Goliath 
    Kontakt Ultimate / FabFilter Bundle / EaReverb / Maag4 / Izotope Ozone 5 / Izotope RX2 / Elastique / Waves  

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Hearing degradation with age 2011/03/18 04:47:50 (permalink)
    As I've mentioned earlier: Invest in hearing-aid industry.
    According to some studies  about 30% of western youngsters already have a hearing damage due to portable players and loud ear-plug volumes. In 20-30 years there are more half-deaf people in the industrialised countries than ever.

Deafness makes one socially more isolated than blindness, some studies say.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Hearing degradation with age 2011/03/18 06:46:56 (permalink)
    Dammit!!

Somebody mentioned tinnitus.

Guaranteed to set mine off and, as sure as eggs are eggs - it's now ringing like a good 'un.

It only really starts to kick off from about 1pm onwards (it's 10:45 here)

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    SeveredVesper
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re:Hearing degradation with age 2011/03/18 08:08:26 (permalink)
    I'm 17 and my left side hears less than the other. Or maybe it's ear wax? (Seriously)

Check out my band's song on YouTube!

SeveredVesper
    Re:Hearing degradation with age 2011/03/18 08:09:46 (permalink)
    Hey seriously,

I only have tinnitus when inside a turned-off car with absolutely no noise.

What's up with that?

Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re:Hearing degradation with age 2011/03/18 08:18:10 (permalink)
    SeveredVesper

Hey seriously,

What's up with that?

There is a simple cure for that...

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

SeveredVesper
    Re:Hearing degradation with age 2011/03/18 08:23:55 (permalink)
    Karyn

SeveredVesper

Hey seriously,

What's up with that?

There is a simple cure for that...

I mean, is that tinnitus? Or is it really like that inside an unpowered car?

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Hearing degradation with age 2011/03/18 08:26:57 (permalink)
    Bub... yeah that was the whales movie.... she needed a transplant I think... Bones muttered something about "barbaric" ....

I have tinnitus from bands and guns. In  my 20's I was around guns a lot, and 2 of the bands were very loud. I hear it constantly...day and night. It's only when I'm in a relatively noisy environment that the tinnitus is masked by the environment that I get relief. A hearing test shows a noticeable dip at the tinnitus frequency.

I have been to some audiologists and they say there is no treatment for it. It has been awhile since I visited them, I have also tried the stuff that the guy on TV who was supposedly a drummer advertises..... Quietus...... nahhhh nothing.... didn't even slow it down.

I would probably volunteer for any clinical research trials that would be held at Duke University of Medicine if they were doing research on this.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Hearing degradation with age 2011/03/18 08:51:34 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

Bub... yeah that was the whales movie.... she needed a transplant I think... Bones muttered something about "barbaric" .... 

she was going for dialysis. 

other than the fact that I remember just about everything, I'm also a big "Trekker."

I have tinnitus in my left ear only.  it started about 2 years ago when I got an infection in my left upper incisor.  It was so bad that I lost some of the gum around that tooth and eventually had to have a root canal, but the tinnitus never went away.  that would be "trauma" related, I'm sure.  I've had CAT scans of my head and the ENT has tried several things, but, as mentioned, it's incurable.  Some days it's worse than others, it's strange how some days it's pretty loud but others I don't notice it.

I, too, would gladly volunteer for trials for a procedure to get rid of it.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    ericyeoman
    Re:Hearing degradation with age 2011/03/18 09:14:42 (permalink)
    Herb, Albert, Bit,

There's been a lot of research on tinitus over the last few years. Once scientists discovered
    what it actually is - over active neurons in the brain as a result from damage in the ear - it was predicted
    potential treatments would follow soon.

The human trials may not work out, of course. But seeing as they are adapting a simple treatment already used
    for epilepsy and depression, that has speeded up the process hugely. To quote:

"The initial set of human participants will have the electrodes attached to the left vagus nerve in their necks as part of a
    short outpatient procedure."

Lots of other research going on too. Here's a (year old) summary from Deafness Research UK)

http://www.deafnessresear.../tinnitus-research.pdf

Fingers crossed....

( Mild tinitus here, but I know it's going to get worse )

CuBase, Ableton, Steinberg UR-22 MKII, i7-4790K 4.00 Ghz, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM, Windows 10. 
    ericyeoman
    Re:Hearing degradation with age 2011/03/18 09:24:53 (permalink)
    Speaking of Star Trek, I was reading that William Shatner has Tinnitus really bad from an explosion while filming an episode of Star Trek. It happened on the set of the one where he's fighting a creature by himself and he makes gun powder to blow it up.

I think it was this one:

http://www.youtube.com/wa...ohw&feature=relmfu

Yeah, I'm a nerd

UbiquitousBubba
    • Total Posts : 8912
    Re:Hearing degradation with age 2011/03/18 09:27:49 (permalink)
    Yes, it was the one where he was forced to fight a Gorn. 
    bayoubill
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re:Hearing degradation with age 2011/03/18 11:37:46 (permalink)
    I have it. Every time someone comes over they always ask "Why is the TV so loud?". The ring is ALWAYS there but hasn't affected me one bit! Cept' for the occasional screaming and trying to pull my hair out.

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

bitflipper
    Re:Hearing degradation with age 2011/03/18 11:54:24 (permalink)
    Miguel, I suspect that hearing sensitivity normally varies between left and right ears. My left ear works better than my right and I always use the left ear when talking on the phone. My theory is that for 45 years I've mostly set up stage left, with the rest of the band to my right, and that's why my right ear is less sensitive. Don't know if that's true but it sounds good.

And yes, earwax can have a profound effect on hearing sensitivity and frequency response. Get that stuff compacted in there and it can cause effectively total deafness, something I have experienced and it scared the crap outa me.

Tinnitus is always there and everybody has it to some degree, but unless it's really bad it's normally masked by ambient noise. Most people are only aware of it in very quiet spaces. If you can hear it at your age (Miguel is 17, IIRC), that's not a good sign. Better start using earplugs at loud concerts.

My Stuff
    SeveredVesper
    Re:Hearing degradation with age 2011/03/18 11:59:05 (permalink)
    @Dave

Ohh. Thanks so much Dave, that answered me completely.

(OT: I sent you a PM about the e-mail address of your friend on EB)

trimph1
    Max Output Level: -12 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6348
    Re:Hearing degradation with age 2011/03/18 12:54:37 (permalink)
    @Bapu: Do you still have those test files?

I think it would be interesting to try them out here....

---------------------------------------------------

As for myself, I have a bit of hearing loss in my left ear but still have my right hearing intact...as for tinnitus...not yet...

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Hearing degradation with age 2011/03/18 15:56:38 (permalink)
    I'm definitely ( ) hearing more degradation as I get older.
    "Get out of the way, idiot!"
    "Hey, your left blinker's been on for the last 6 miles, dumb***!".
    "Listen, *****le, buy something or get out of the store".

Writing as someone with long-time hearing loss (from when I was 2) and now-constant tinnitus.
    And low-normal on the tone deafness test.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1