Help! How to do these things in X1?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 22:04:19 (permalink)
bmdaustin,

yes, there is track and clip envelopes in X1, same as in 8.5.  I got what the OP was saying was he wanted to enable a clip envelope on a single clip and not have it show up on others.  maybe I'm wrong?

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 22:05:10 (permalink)
IDK but watching the free Anderton vid on envelopes it looks like X1 envelope automation stuff can do everything but make you breakfast in the morning.
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/24 01:49:47 (permalink)
A V Man

I thought the manual would have some clues on how to do this stuff, or that perhaps (being a programmer) I could use CAL or config files to make this stuff happen but I have got nowhere.  So far I am thinking that my best option would be changing to another DAW or going back to an earlier version of Sonar which would at least do at least provide some if this functionality.  Any useful suggestions would  be appreciated as I've invested a lot of money in Sonar/Cakewalk over the years.

• What is the command to send the cursor (now time) back to its last stationary position? For example if I accidentally moved the cursor or returned it to zero. Assuming there is no marker set for that position what is the fastest way to put it back where it was?
Reclick there!
  • Is there a command to rebuild layers and/or remove empty layers on all Tracks WITHOUT having to do this on each track individually.
Use the "Edit - Select - All" menu, then use the "Layers" menu dropdown tab above the Clips Pane.
  • Is it possible to automatically remove the empty layers left after deleting the last clip in any layer - without having to select each relevant track do this manually? 
No!
  • Is it possible to have Sonar automatically create a fresh layer when pasting clips into tracks so that pasted clips never get hidden behind other clips when in layers view?
Not visually. But after pasting the new clip you can...
1. Right-Click on the numbered gray area to the Left of the wave pane and select "Show Layers".
2. Click the "Show Layers" button on the Track Controls area.
3. Use the "Layers" menu dropdown tab.

Or you can 1st create a new layer using the "Layers" menu and paste into it.
  • Is there a way to make the select tool behave like the star tool when pointing at already selected items?
No! Otherwise it would be the Star Tool. The "Star" tool is the "Smart" tool (poly-dextrous). All others are "dumb" tools (mono-dextrous, though some offer dropdown options).
  • How can Audiosnap transients be applied to a single clip on a track without affecting the other clips on a track?
Don't know!
  • How do you apply a gain envelope to a single clip on a track without the other clips on a track being assigned gain envelopes also?
AFAIK you can't! Automation is a per-track function. Create a new track.
  • How do you apply a pan envelope to a single clip on a track without the other clips on a track being assigned pan envelopes also?
AFAIK you can't! Automation is a per-track function. Create a new track.
  • Is it possible to quickly invoke an automated jump in playback in the track view. Specifically can the loop markers be swapped around so that playback will skip over the selection instead of looping around it?
Don't know!
  • Is there away to add a command to a marker so that playback will jump to another point instead of playing linearly?
Don't know!
  • Is there a way to get all the buttons on the control bar to fit on a screen that's smaller than 1920px wide?
No! Unless you have it float undocked, then you can click-and-drag it back-and-fort across the screen. Even at 1920 there are 3 modules that will not show.
  • Is there a way to make the record button dot change to red whenever there are tracks armed for recording (as in previous versions of Sonar)?
Which one? All buttons are graphic bitmaps that can only be chaged by repainting them. Do this at your own risk if you know how!
  • Is it possible to remove the Audiosnap option from a track completely to prevent accidentally selecting that mode on a complex track? Is it possible to at least have a confirmation dialog asking if you're sure you want to invoke a potentially time consuming and file-bloating transient detection routine?
Don't know!
  • How do you remove the file-bloat created by Audiosnap transient tables when they are not required... WITHOUT deleting or bouncing down the relevant tracks?
Don't know!
  • When selecting a clip for splitting. Is it possible to set which side of the cursor will be selected after the split command? It always defaults to left side selected. Ideally just clicking to the right or using a modifier key would do the trick but I can't find any way to do this.
No! Yes! (see next post)
  • Is there a way to make better use of the space on the track strip panels?  i.e. remove all irrelevant icons and empty space without hiding or removing any controls, I/O info or fx etc.
Use the dropdown button at the top of the Track Control area, just Right of the "Now Time" labeled "All" or "Custom" or whatever you have it set to, then select "Track Control Manager".
  • How can I move the performance monitor off the control bar and make it smaller to save sceen space? (without turning it off)
You can't unless you're one of the software engineers at Cakewalk! The 2 options are "show" or "no-show".
  • Is it possible to make pow-r dithering available in Sonar Studio X1?  My old Sonar Producer had this but its has disappeared in my copy of X1 Studio which is supposed to be an upgrade. (there's only rectangular and triangular)...  Tech support have stated that pow-r3 dithering should be there but I can't find it.
If you don't see it in the "Dithering" button dropdown list under "Edit - Preferences - Audio - Playback and Recording" then it's not available!

If I'm wrong about any of these please correct me.  

Steve

post edited by soens - 2012/05/24 23:45:32
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/24 04:09:14 (permalink)
A V Man

I thought the manual would have some clues on how to do this stuff, or that perhaps (being a programmer) I could use CAL or config files to make this stuff happen but I have got nowhere.  So far I am thinking that my best option would be changing to another DAW or going back to an earlier version of Sonar which would at least do at least provide some if this functionality.  Any useful suggestions would  be appreciated as I've invested a lot of money in Sonar/Cakewalk over the years.

All of the answers below are AFAIK - I'm happy to be corrected where I'm wrong. IMHO where relevant as well........

• What is the command to send the cursor (now time) back to its last stationary position? For example if I accidentally moved the cursor or returned it to zero. Assuming there is no marker set for that position what is the fastest way to put it back where it was?

There isn't one. A feature request might be an idea if you find that handy.
  • Is there a command to rebuild layers and/or remove empty layers on all Tracks WITHOUT having to do this on each track individually.
  • Is it possible to automatically remove the empty layers left after deleting the last clip in any layer - without having to select each relevant track do this manually?

Layers don't respond to grouping. It would be nice if they did, a feature request again maybe? Don't even start on rebuild layers........

• Is it possible to have Sonar automatically create a fresh layer when pasting clips into tracks so that pasted clips never get hidden behind other clips when in layers view?
No, yet another FR (looks like someone's going to be busy )

• Is there a way to make the select tool behave like the star tool when pointing at already selected items?
No but then again wouldn't that just duplicate the smart tool? Can't see the point of that one personally - er.... FR again. Switching between tools is a press of an F-key or press and hold for a temporary switch, release again to back where you were.
  • How can Audiosnap transients be applied to a single clip on a track without affecting the other clips on a track?

Finally one that does work......Select the clip you don't want audiosnap on and then use the clip properties/audiosnap section in the inspector to turn it off.
  • How do you apply a gain envelope to a single clip on a track without the other clips on a track being assigned gain envelopes also?
Just select the clip you want the envelope on and insert it via the edit filter. Although the graphics are drawn on other clips the envelopes aren't created until you insert a node. When you switch out of clip envelope mode the graphic will disappear.

• How do you apply a pan envelope to a single clip on a track without the other clips on a track being assigned pan envelopes also?
See above
  • Is it possible to quickly invoke an automated jump in playback in the track view. Specifically can the loop markers be swapped around so that playback will skip over the selection instead of looping around it?
No. FR again
  • Is there away to add a command to a marker so that playback will jump to another point instead of playing linearly?
See above
  • Is there a way to get all the buttons on the control bar to fit on a screen that's smaller than 1920px wide?
No, other than hide modules
  • Is there a way to make the record button dot change to red whenever there are tracks armed for recording (as in previous versions of Sonar)?
No, FR........
  • Is it possible to remove the Audiosnap option from a track completely to prevent accidentally selecting that mode on a complex track? Is it possible to at least have a confirmation dialog asking if you're sure you want to invoke a potentially time consuming and file-bloating transient detection routine?
Don't select it from the edit filter. That was the whole (very welcome) point of it. I can't believe someone could accidentally select it from the edit filter. Most people have trouble finding it.
  • How do you remove the file-bloat created by Audiosnap transient tables when they are not required... WITHOUT deleting or bouncing down the relevant tracks?
You don't....
  • When selecting a clip for splitting. Is it possible to set which side of the cursor will be selected after the split command? It always defaults to left side selected. Ideally just clicking to the right or using a modifier key would do the trick but I can't find any way to do this.
Go to Preferences-->Customization--->Editing---->Clips - there's a drop down there.
  • Is there a way to make better use of the space on the track strip panels?  i.e. remove all irrelevant icons and empty space without hiding or removing any controls, I/O info or fx etc.
Not directly but utilising the "Track control Manager" to create your own presets and then the shift + arrow keys is a great way of working. See this video for more info. (I bet some reading this were wondering when I'd link a video )
  • How can I move the performance monitor off the control bar and make it smaller to save sceen space? (without turning it off)
You can't. Pressing C will hide/show the CB though
  • Is it possible to make pow-r dithering available in Sonar Studio X1?  My old Sonar Producer had this but its has disappeared in my copy of X1 Studio which is supposed to be an upgrade. (there's only rectangular and triangular)...  Tech support have stated that pow-r3 dithering should be there but I can't find it.
Don't know.

HTH

Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/24 04:30:04 (permalink)
I'm so glad you beat me to it Karl.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/24 04:38:06 (permalink)
Bristol_Jonesey

It was a bit of a marathon. Perhaps a big "NO - FR" would have covered most of it.
soens
Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/24 05:27:42 (permalink)
FastBikerBoy

Bristol_Jonesey

It was a bit of a marathon. Perhaps a big "NO - FR" would have covered most of it.

OK. So how do you respond with comments breaking the OP quote? (see my fumble above).

Steve
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/24 05:50:54 (permalink)
You can insert bits of the original text inside [ quote ] original text [ /quote ]

Without the spaces obviously

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/24 07:49:08 (permalink)
 An alternative method is to click on the indent button above the text entry. The other one also works to reverse the effect. Circled red in the pic....

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/24 08:48:50 (permalink)
A V Man

John, I'm getting the vibe from you that you are not prepared to consider the shortcomings of the software as being such.  You have reinvented my questions to fit your own narrow-minded agenda which for some reason seems to be to defend this latest version of Sonar from all forms of criticism.  In reality I am highlighting the various issues which have plagued my attempts to use X1 in a productive manner. I am looking for answers/solutions and if not available I hope to advance the quality of the software, primarily because I have invested so much in Cakewalk and Sonar both money and time. Currently I am more productive using Sonar 5 which is not perfect by a long stretch but some of its better features have gone in X1, and in exchange, for my needs little if any useful functionality has been added. If Sonar can't provide the productivity/workflow enhancements that I, and probably countless others would find useful if not indispensable then it will fall flat in the face of the competition who I'm sure will rise to the challenge if they haven't done so already.

Re. Control Bar.... I asked ...
  • Is there a way to get all the buttons on the control bar to fit on a screen that's smaller than 1920px wide? I also mentioned the CB regarding the performance monitor. It is big and uses up space on the CB.  I am wondering if there's a way to still see it but have it much smaller and preferably located elsewhere.

• I am very ready to support improvements in the software I use. To do otherwise is absurd.

However when a poster asks questions in the way you did in seeming to want help in understanding the software but in reality asking for features it is as said very off putting. Its a tactic that is very disingenuous to say the least.   

You need to write feature requests to get X1 the way you want it. Please don't ask us to go through the work in trying to answer your needless questions. You already had the answers. You wasted our time.

If you had been up front with you points I would not in anyway have any problem with them.

For example I have proposed that CW add Play Order Tracks to Sonar in the past. That is the Cubase feature you are talking about.

Edit to add. Your title is "Help, How to do these things in X1". The word help is used very prominently. Its deceptive.

post edited by John - 2012/05/24 08:56:16

Best
    John
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/24 09:18:43 (permalink)
    A V Man

2 lines of pseudo code...
    1. On cursor move (lastCursorPosition = Last Postion of Cursor)
    2. On press of an available key binding (SetCursorPosition = lastCursorPosition)

(line 2 could use the same function as go to to marker or clicking on the ruler - neither of which currently break anything)

Update documentation
    Add a sentence to the user manual and copy/paste into online help docs.

This is not complicated!
    if you know so much about programing,maybe you should make your own daw thats free from any issues and then you would have a perfect daw and not need to come here and pretend like you need help by asking all these questions by disguising the fact

did you try the 30 day trial?
    im guessing you did but still got sonar anyway just so you could come on here and complain about its short commings.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

jm24
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2127
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/24 11:44:15 (permalink)
    John

A V Man

John, I'm getting the vibe from you that you are not prepared to consider the shortcomings of the software as being such.  You have reinvented my questions to fit your own narrow-minded agenda which for some reason seems to be to defend this latest version of Sonar from all forms of criticism.  In reality I am highlighting the various issues which have plagued my attempts to use X1 in a productive manner. I am looking for answers/solutions and if not available I hope to advance the quality of the software, primarily because I have invested so much in Cakewalk and Sonar both money and time. Currently I am more productive using Sonar 5 which is not perfect by a long stretch but some of its better features have gone in X1, and in exchange, for my needs little if any useful functionality has been added. If Sonar can't provide the productivity/workflow enhancements that I, and probably countless others would find useful if not indispensable then it will fall flat in the face of the competition who I'm sure will rise to the challenge if they haven't done so already.

• Is there a way to get all the buttons on the control bar to fit on a screen that's smaller than 1920px wide? I also mentioned the CB regarding the performance monitor. It is big and uses up space on the CB.  I am wondering if there's a way to still see it but have it much smaller and preferably located elsewhere.

• I am very ready to support improvements in the software I use. To do otherwise is absurd.

However when a poster asks questions in the way you did in seeming to want help in understanding the software but in reality asking for features it is as said very off putting. Its a tactic that is very disingenuous to say the least.   

You need to write feature requests to get X1 the way you want it. Please don't ask us to go through the work in trying to answer your needless questions. You already had the answers. You wasted our time.

If you had been up front with you points I would not in anyway have any problem with them.

For example I have proposed that CW add Play Order Tracks to Sonar in the past. That is the Cubase feature you are talking about.

Edit to add. Your title is "Help, How to do these things in X1". The word help is used very prominently. Its deceptive.
    ================================
    John, you are truely a piece of work. 

You intrude yourself into conversations and demand everyone comport to your way of thinking/speaking/writing. And when they do not you reproach them with how insulted you are.

YOU WASTED YOUR TIME by reading and posting to the thread.  NO ONE ASKED YOU SPECIFICALLY for anything.  YOU VOLUNTEERED your time. And most of us agree YOUR TIME WAS WASTED.

The OP was asking how to do stuff.  BUT YOU apparently feel the VIBE of offensiveness everywhere. And your obvious lack of impluse control resulted in your inablility to not type your missive.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE JOHN stop doing this to your self, and others. 

Aren't you tired after about a year and a half being the forum police for X1?

You've got to kick the habit::: DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME in this manner, ever again.  PLEASE!!!!

jm24
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/24 11:47:49 (permalink)
    John

A V Man

You intrude yourself into conversations and demand everyone comport to your way of thinking/speaking/writing. And when they do not you reproach them with how insulted you are.

YOU WASTED YOUR TIME by reading and posting to the thread.  NO ONE ASKED YOU SPECIFICALLY for anything.  YOU VOLUNTEERED your time. And most of us agree YOUR TIME WAS WASTED.

The OP was asking how to do stuff.  BUT YOU apparently feel the VIBE of offensiveness everywhere. And your obvious lack of impluse control resulted in your inablility to not type your missive.

You've got to kick the habit::: DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME in this manner, ever again.  PLEASE!!!!

John
    Forum Host
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/24 12:08:48 (permalink)
    jm24

John

A V Man

A little obsessive with the red don't you think.

Ah this is a peer to peer forum with members expressing their points of view. I don't think you have any right to try to censer me because you don't agree with me. Or for any other reason.

Also why? What is so awful with what I posted? Is it rude is it wrong? Or is it not to your liking? It sure is not in violation of the TOS.

But all you have to do is not read my posts.

And why not also post in response to the others that see this thread as I do? Selective persecution perhaps?

You shouldn't get so upset. Its not good for you.

Best
    John
    jm24
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/24 12:22:07 (permalink)
    John what a clever way to waste your time.

How's that workin' out in real life? 

Does everyone you encounter enjoy your boorish wit?

Ummm,,  looking at your post count I figger you don't get out much.

No wonder you think it is appropriate to be a jerk-a-lot.

John
    Forum Host
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/24 12:25:46 (permalink)
    jm24

John what a clever way to waste your time.

How's that workin' out in real life? 

Does everyone you encounter enjoy your boorish wit?

Ummm,,  looking at your post count I figger you don't get out much.

No wonder you think it is appropriate to be a jerk-a-lot.

Now that you got that off your chest have a nice day.

Best
    John
    soens
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/24 23:29:45 (permalink)
    OK, so...
    You can insert bits of the original text inside [ quote ] original text [ /quote ]
    Like this...
    Without the spaces obviously
    I think I got it!

Thanks!
    musicroom
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2421
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/25 01:28:10 (permalink)
    Is it possible to make pow-r dithering available in Sonar Studio X1?  My old Sonar Producer had this but its has disappeared in my copy of X1 Studio which is supposed to be an upgrade. (there's only rectangular and triangular)...  Tech support have stated that pow-r3 dithering should be there but I can't find it.

It's still there in the same place it's always been. I use pow-r 3 all the time when I'm exporting. I can send screenshots.  

Dave
    Songs

Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/25 04:08:42 (permalink)
    musicroom

Is it possible to make pow-r dithering available in Sonar Studio X1?  My old Sonar Producer had this but its has disappeared in my copy of X1 Studio which is supposed to be an upgrade. (there's only rectangular and triangular)...  Tech support have stated that pow-r3 dithering should be there but I can't find it.

It's still there in the same place it's always been. I use pow-r 3 all the time when I'm exporting. I can send screenshots.  

Edit > Preferences > Playback and Recording > Dithering drop-down menu.
    musicroom
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2421
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/25 11:00:37 (permalink)
    Anderton

musicroom

Edit > Preferences > Playback and Recording > Dithering drop-down menu.

Thanks - not sure why the OP can't find this since he is a stated long time sonar user.

Dave
    Songs

soens
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/27 01:55:02 (permalink)
    Well, he did say: "(there's only rectangular and triangular)... "

Pow-r 1, 2, & 3 should be listed right after them. So if they aren't, they must not be available.
    Don't know if "Studio" is different than "Producer" that way or not.

Steve
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/27 04:16:11 (permalink)
    I'm pretty sure POW-r dithering is a SONAR Producer only feature.

The following text is clipped from the SONAR Essentials feature page:

Get more mastering capabilities SONAR X1 Producer is the best solution for an even more complete suite of mastering effects and tools including 64-bit linear phase mastering plug-ins and POW-r dithering

I'd be glad to be shown that I'm wrong

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/06/06 03:06:51 (permalink)

Layers don't respond to grouping. It would be nice if they did, a feature request again maybe? Don't even start on rebuild layers........

Just discovered almost by accident that I was wrong.... Layers do respond to grouping...

You need to set the commands up as a key binding though then they'll work. That's going to save me hours on sorting out multiple takes of live drums.
    jm24
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/06/06 09:50:25 (permalink)
    Another "undocumented" feature.  CW needs to hire a pro manual writing team to at least keep track of these "little" improvements.

Yo Biker Dude, please post a how-to explanation in this thread:
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2567871

======================
    Bugs, comments & suggestions:
    We expect this application to not always perform as described. This is by design. There are no bugs in our software, only undefined behaviors, and undocumented results. Enjoy the process of discovery. Please inform us of any unique actions you have encountered that we may include them in the list of known features.
    ==============

J
    Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1