Help! How to do these things in X1?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
A V Man
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 72
2012/05/23 15:05:25 (permalink)

Help! How to do these things in X1?

I thought the manual would have some clues on how to do this stuff, or that perhaps (being a programmer) I could use CAL or config files to make this stuff happen but I have got nowhere.  So far I am thinking that my best option would be changing to another DAW or going back to an earlier version of Sonar which would at least do at least provide some if this functionality.  Any useful suggestions would  be appreciated as I've invested a lot of money in Sonar/Cakewalk over the years.

• What is the command to send the cursor (now time) back to its last stationary position? For example if I accidentally moved the cursor or returned it to zero. Assuming there is no marker set for that position what is the fastest way to put it back where it was?
  • Is there a command to rebuild layers and/or remove empty layers on all Tracks WITHOUT having to do this on each track individually.
  • Is it possible to automatically remove the empty layers left after deleting the last clip in any layer - without having to select each relevant track do this manually? 
  • Is it possible to have Sonar automatically create a fresh layer when pasting clips into tracks so that pasted clips never get hidden behind other clips when in layers view?
  • Is there a way to make the select tool behave like the star tool when pointing at already selected items?
  • How can Audiosnap transients be applied to a single clip on a track without affecting the other clips on a track?
  • How do you apply a gain envelope to a single clip on a track without the other clips on a track being assigned gain envelopes also?
  • How do you apply a pan envelope to a single clip on a track without the other clips on a track being assigned pan envelopes also?
  • Is it possible to quickly invoke an automated jump in playback in the track view. Specifically can the loop markers be swapped around so that playback will skip over the selection instead of looping around it?
  • Is there away to add a command to a marker so that playback will jump to another point instead of playing linearly?
  • Is there a way to get all the buttons on the control bar to fit on a screen that's smaller than 1920px wide?
  • Is there a way to make the record button dot change to red whenever there are tracks armed for recording (as in previous versions of Sonar)?
  • Is it possible to remove the Audiosnap option from a track completely to prevent accidentally selecting that mode on a complex track? Is it possible to at least have a confirmation dialog asking if you're sure you want to invoke a potentially time consuming and file-bloating transient detection routine?
  • How do you remove the file-bloat created by Audiosnap transient tables when they are not required... WITHOUT deleting or bouncing down the relevant tracks?
  • When selecting a clip for splitting. Is it possible to set which side of the cursor will be selected after the split command? It always defaults to left side selected. Ideally just clicking to the right or using a modifier key would do the trick but I can't find any way to do this.
  • Is there a way to make better use of the space on the track strip panels?  i.e. remove all irrelevant icons and empty space without hiding or removing any controls, I/O info or fx etc.
  • How can I move the performance monitor off the control bar and make it smaller to save sceen space? (without turning it off)
  • Is it possible to make pow-r dithering available in Sonar Studio X1?  My old Sonar Producer had this but its has disappeared in my copy of X1 Studio which is supposed to be an upgrade. (there's only rectangular and triangular)...  Tech support have stated that pow-r3 dithering should be there but I can't find it.

53 Replies Related Threads

Beepster
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 15:09:09 (permalink)
    Whoa... that's a lotta stuff.
    A V Man
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 15:11:41 (permalink)
    any help would be appreciated 
    Beepster
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 15:22:27 (permalink)
    Well I doubt I'll be much help and I'm a little busy at the moment but this "Is there a way to make better use of the space on the track strip panels? i.e. remove all irrelevant icons and empty space without hiding or removing any controls, I/O info or fx etc." can be done to a certain extent. If I recall there is a little drop down menu on the tracks or at the top of the track list (View?) that you can choose to show/hide certain elements. Probably not as flexible as you are hoping but it does clean things up a bit.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 15:31:11 (permalink)
    AV Man I was trying to answer your questions but there simply are too many.

Return to zero is w. But you can find answers to your questions for many of them by entering the topic in the help search function.

After you do that you can come back with a much more narrow list.

Best
    John
    Beepster
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 15:34:54 (permalink)
    Oh and the "Control Bar" (I'm assuming you mean the transport panel" is modular as well. Again somewhere there is a drop down that lets you show/hide sections of the panel. Not sure if it will hide the part you are asking about because I'm not quite sure what section you mean. Sorry... just kind of picking away at your list while I wait for someone to show up. Also I am completely new at this but these are things that are in the tutorials. Peace.
    dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 15:35:20 (permalink)
    It might be best to make this multiple topics.  i think when you unload like this, it overwhelms people.  
    Beepster
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 15:37:11 (permalink)
    @John... I don't think he wants to return to zero. I think what he wants is a way to recall the last spot he stopped at on the timeline. Not sure if there is something to do that. I would just use markers if I really needed to jump back to a certain spot over and over again.
    A V Man
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 15:37:49 (permalink)
    None of these questions are answered in the online help or anywhere else I have looked.

I wasn't asking how to RTZ or  remove or hide useful elements from track panels.

If anybody can just answer one of the questions with a useful idea I'll be delighted, if not amazed.  Pick just one and have a go.
    Beepster
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 15:38:46 (permalink)
    I'm trying, dude!!!
    A V Man
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 15:40:01 (permalink)
    I am not psychic so I'm not always going to remember to set a marker immediately before I accidentally move the cursor!
    Beepster
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 15:43:00 (permalink)
    Okay, your question about the track panel WAS asking if you could hide elements. At least that's how it was worded. Also I'm trying to give you ideas and told you I was new and now your crapping on me. I hope you find what your looking for.
    A V Man
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 15:51:58 (permalink)
    Sorry beepster if you misinterpreted the track panel question. When I said "icon" I literally meant the icon . When you select no icon there is still an icon.. and lots of wasted space!
    Beepster
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 15:56:30 (permalink)
    Okay, I don't know about that. I don't think that is something they would code in because I'd imagine most people would want it there. Considering how in depth your list is and some of the questions seem to be rather obscure you may want to just send in an email to tech support. Might take them a few days or more to get back to you though. Good luck.
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 15:56:46 (permalink)
    The Control Bar modules are not removable. They can be moved off screen though. Another will take its place. You can thus choose which ones are displayed.

The star tool is the Smart tool. Other tools can not be the Smart tool. There is a section in the manual that details how to access the tools but T will open up the tool menu.

Layers can be rebuilt from the TV menu Layers. TV is the Track View.

Again all this is well documented in both the manual and the help file.

Best
    John
    e.Blue
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 693
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 16:26:57 (permalink)
    A few of the things are actual SONAR shortcomings/annoyances:

• Currently you can't rebuild the track layers automatically
    • Currently you can't prevent clips from being hidden behind other clips automatically
    • Regarding clip volumes and panning, you need to select the [Clip Automation] view from the drop-down menu in the track to show the clip envelopes.
    • I don't think there is a way to jump over a section, (and can't imagine why one would want to), but I'm sure you have a reason.
    I would also strongly suggest investing in the Groove3 and/or Craig Anteron's video tutorials, Also check out Scott Garrigus SONAR X1 Power! book.

-e.B

downSouthsidemusic - recording / mixing / mastering / production / custom sounds & loops
    Everett 'e.Blue' Garnett - Owner/Operator
    Full gear listing available here: Hardware / Software / See us on 
    A V Man
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 16:55:16 (permalink)
    Thank you John, you have answered point 2 to a degree.  You are right you can select multiple tracks and rebuild/remove empties using the TV layers menu. However you have to select all the required tracks first.

Re. Control Bar - I was basically asking how to see everything not remove stuff... which can be done anyway!

Re. Select Tool - The select tool is useful because it allows you to precisely click-select events without fear of accidentally moving them, however, once selected the tool serves no purpose for that event. It would make sense for it to assume new capabilities i.e. become a smart tool, instead of necessitating a tool change.

----

e.Blue...

Selecting Clip Automation causes ALL the clips on a track to take on envelopes and the data for each one is stored in your project file even if it is a straight zero line.

I can't count the number of times I have wished for the ability to jump over a section easily. This is probably because I used Cubase many years ago and you could swap the loop markers around so that playback would jump forward to the other loop marker instead of back to it.... Example use... to see what something would sound like if you took a section out, and precisely defining the start and end points for the proposed surgery. 
    post edited by A V Man - 2012/05/23 17:12:35
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 17:26:53 (permalink)
    Re. Control Bar - I was basically asking how to see everything not remove stuff... which can be done anyway!
    No! What you asked was how to move it off the CB.

Re. Select Tool - The select tool is useful because it allows you to precisely click-select events without fear of accidentally moving them, however, once selected the tool serves no purpose for that event. It would make sense for it to assume new capabilities i.e. become a smart tool, instead of necessitating a tool change.
    That is what the Smart Tool is for.

I'm getting a vibe from you that you are not asking questions at all but finding fault. You do know about these things. You are trying to make a point. That in and of itself is OK but doing so in the guise of ignorance is very off putting. I for one was trying to figure a way to answer your questions and now I'm glad I didn't answer them all. We could have been working on a question from someone that really genuinely wants help except you took our time and energy from doing that.

Best
    John
    A V Man
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 17:53:39 (permalink)
    John, I'm getting the vibe from you that you are not prepared to consider the shortcomings of the software as being such.  You have reinvented my questions to fit your own narrow-minded agenda which for some reason seems to be to defend this latest version of Sonar from all forms of criticism.  In reality I am highlighting the various issues which have plagued my attempts to use X1 in a productive manner. I am looking for answers/solutions and if not available I hope to advance the quality of the software, primarily because I have invested so much in Cakewalk and Sonar both money and time. Currently I am more productive using Sonar 5 which is not perfect by a long stretch but some of its better features have gone in X1, and in exchange, for my needs little if any useful functionality has been added. If Sonar can't provide the productivity/workflow enhancements that I, and probably countless others would find useful if not indispensable then it will fall flat in the face of the competition who I'm sure will rise to the challenge if they haven't done so already.

Re. Control Bar.... I asked ...
  • Is there a way to get all the buttons on the control bar to fit on a screen that's smaller than 1920px wide? I also mentioned the CB regarding the performance monitor. It is big and uses up space on the CB.  I am wondering if there's a way to still see it but have it much smaller and preferably located elsewhere.

Beepster
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 18:20:49 (permalink)
    It sounds like you want to be able to get at the coding of the software to tweak it to your specific needs and wants. As far as I know The Reaper is still an open source project so you could do exactly that if you were so inclined. When dealing with stuff like Sonar, Nuendo, Pro Tools, etc they have been coded to meet the needs of what most users would find to be the most productive and effective workflow. In the case of Cake products the stuff is so inexpensive for what it is I'm not sure it's really fair to slag them because it doesn't fit your ideal model of what a DAW should be. We all would like things to be a custom fit to our exact wants but the programmers have to make certain decisions so they can a) get the product to market at a competitive price and b) that they won't make things completely unstable. It's like buying a suit off the rack or getting one from a tailor. Sure the tailored suit is gonna fit better but it will cost more. Also in this analogy there just aren't many tailors around.
    Beepster
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 18:28:16 (permalink)
    Also getting upset at us about it is pretty silly. We didn't write the software. We just use it and it seems most here like how it works. I haven't dug too deep into it but I think it's pretty damned cool so far. Therefore Cakewalk have done their job.
    A V Man
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 18:39:08 (permalink)
    Hey, I'm not asking for complex things here. There's no reason for them to introduce instability and some of them would literally take 5 minutes for a programmer to add. I played with Reaper for a few days while but it was frighteningly unstable on my PC and opensource is not generally a good path to stability. I have spent many hundreds of Dollars, Pounds and Euros on CW/Sonar over the years an having just spent more I feel I have a right to expect a certain level of improvement and refinement rather than a pile of unwanted bloat, hinderances and steps backward in useability.  I am having a hard time getting to grips with the fact that the latest version is the way it is. I am seriously hoping that someone can tell me how to work faster with it i.e. ...do the things I have listed.   If not maybe I will spur someone with a bit of clout to get it improved for eveyone's benefit.
    Beepster
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 18:47:53 (permalink)
    Well I'm guessing some of the things you are asking are doable while others are not but Cake tech support would probably be better suited to answer your questions. IIRC you are the same fellow who was upset a while back and we chatted a bit about the same stuff (I can't recall specifically though). I think in that conversation we discussed you maybe rolling back to your old version. A pain? Certainly but if the older version did what you want then that's what you should work with. I think CW is pretty damned cheap though so you kind of have to roll with what you get. I mean I bought a Pacifica 112 a while back. It's an absolutely great guitar but is it a vintage Strat? No. Nor should I expect it to be. And THAT analogy I think isn't even a good one because I have a feeling X1 does indeed give the more expensive platforms a run for their money. Knowaddimean? I really hope you aren't just trolling us.
    Luteman
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 335
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 18:59:07 (permalink)
    . . . and some of them would literally take 5 minutes for a programmer to add

Really? That gives a lot of time for functional testing, integration/regression testing (i.e. did the new feature foul anything else up?), documentation, marketing, communications, production, distribution . . . I could go on, but you get the picture?
    We're not talking about a snazzy little program knocked up in someone's bedroom, it's a commercial product used by thousands with all that implies.

Beepster, I think I smell troll.

Chris
    SONAR Platinum, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Core2Quad Q6600, 8GB, 2 x SSD, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra, M-Audio Axiom 61, Behringer FCB1010 MIDI pedalboard, Stephen Haddock 8-course lute, some guitars, a mandolin and a bass

Beepster
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 19:16:04 (permalink)
    That would be a shame. I guess I kind of hoped this forum would be immune from that type of thing seeing as how it's so product specific but perhaps not. I'm still thinking just a user who's upset at the changes in the new version. Happens all the time.
    A V Man
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 19:25:13 (permalink)
    2 lines of pseudo code...
    1. On cursor move (lastCursorPosition = Last Postion of Cursor)
    2. On press of an available key binding (SetCursorPosition = lastCursorPosition)

(line 2 could use the same function as go to to marker or clicking on the ruler - neither of which currently break anything)

Update documentation
    Add a sentence to the user manual and copy/paste into online help docs.

This is not complicated!

A V Man
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 19:32:25 (permalink)
    "Happens all the time. "

I wonder why!
    Beepster
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 19:51:22 (permalink)
    I agree that would be a useful function. I personally would use it often. If you are a coder (and even for those who are not) CW does have a recommendations email for future versions (it can be found in the "How to contact Cakewalk Directly" section of this sub-forum). Toss them a line. They're good guys. Hope you find what you're looking for. Peace.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 21:33:18 (permalink)
    I'll answer one - actually 2:

you can't put an envelope on a single clip w/o also putting it on the others.

Can I ask why you would want to do that when you can just ignore the other clips? 

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    bmdaustin
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1114
    Re:Help! How to do these things in X1? 2012/05/23 21:54:45 (permalink)
    In 8.5 there were/are clip envelopes and track envelopes. Has that changed in X1? AT - an example - say I punch in or import a solo as a separate clip, but it's too soft. I don't need to alter the rest of the track, just that one clip. I see your point that you could leave the envelope at 0 (having no effect) until you get to the solo, whereupon you'd create the necessary gain changes before returning to 0 again for the rest of the track, but that leaves open the possibility of accidentally altering the envelope elsewhere in the track and creating more problems than you've solved. A simple Clip/Gain envelope is a nice tidy solution.

Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    http://www.bakersjazzandmore.com
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1