Helpful ReplyHelp! Laptop hard drive died

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/06 20:02:41 (permalink)
The Windows repair disk is the best tool to fix the MBR boot problem on the original C: drive in the laptop.

First re-install the drive in laptop, then boot the system from a Windows repair disk.

The repair disk can be created from another computer running Windows, and can be created on either CD or USB thumb drive media.

In the article linked below, skip down to the section: "Bootrec from a system repair drive".

How to repair Windows' master boot record and fix your bricked PC
https://www.pcworld.com/a...x-your-bricked-pc.html

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/06 21:01:43 (permalink)
Yes, the Windows disc can work, but more often than not it doesn't for me, and I need my Macrium rescue CD, which always works. I sometimes bork my mbr by resizing partitions and installing linux. Then windows won't boot. The rescue cd works every time. There are other rescue cd's as well, but I have found macriums' to be fine. 

The advice about using a live linux dvd/thumb drive is sound, but does involve some time. Not to mention figuring out how to use linux. I think everyone should do this, but in an emergency it's maybe not the best time. but definitely everyone should get to know linux, it is a great os in itself, just not for what we do. But it's much safer to surf the net with. I am currently using Kubuntu, which is Ubuntu with the KDS desktop environment. It looks and works very much like windows 7. I use a dedicated win7 rig for my music, offline 90% of the time, and do everything else with linux. The partitioning tools in linux are much easier to use than window's. It is too bad that music software makers won't bother to make drivers for linux, it is a much better os than windows.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/06 22:21:36 (permalink)
How to Fix the MBR (Master Boot Record) in Windows 10
https://www.maketecheasier.com/fix-mbr-windows-10/

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1