Helpful ReplyHelp! Laptop hard drive died

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
stevetrusty11
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 37
2018/12/01 16:25:23 (permalink)

Help! Laptop hard drive died

So, my laptop seems to have gone unresponsive. I can’t load up windows 7. Script errors and “missing 2 hdds”
Can’t load safe mode of any sort.

My question is how can I transfer everything to my new computer with this mishap? I’ve got so many plugins, addictive drums, izotope, splat, bandlab etc..

I have a backup hard drive with all files except the most recent song I’ve been working on via bandlab. Up to about a month ago. I really really really don’t want to re record. I was almost done with the song.

My plan is to remove the laptop hard drive which is a seagate I believe and hook it up to my desktop computer via usb and hopefully I can at least access my files and save my most recent work on the song.. one song and it’s files is all I need out of the 400 gigs in use. I’m trying to avoid having the hard drive professionally recovered when their gonna charge to get stuff off I already have. It’s literally probably 2 gigs of that.

Where would I locate the songs folder/data?
“Cakewalk projects”??
Then basically just paste it to my new computer?

What about splat?? Will I still be able to get that back on the new computer??

Hp Pavillion g6 500gig 4g ram

I’m at a loss and will take any help I can get.

Thanks
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/01 16:50:03 (permalink)
If the hard drive is still readable via USB on a working computer, you should be in good shape as far as recovering any project files or data from the drive.

Unfortunately you will need to reinstall all applications and plugins from scratch onto your new computer.  Due to the way Windows install applications, the installer routines make the necessary registry settings, copy the needed files into the proper folder locations, etc.  More complicated than simply dragging and dropping program folders onto the new desktop.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
abacab
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/01 16:55:52 (permalink)
stevetrusty11

Where would I locate the songs folder/data?
“Cakewalk projects”??
Then basically just paste it to my new computer?

You will probably find your projects there, unless you specified a custom location in "Preferences > Folder Locations".

Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/01 17:13:27 (permalink)
As John has said if your drive will still spin up the data might still be accessible. 
If you don't have a desktop computer then purchase a cheap drive enclosure from New Egg or Amazon.  
Make sure to get the correct size buy removing the one from your laptop first. 
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182313

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

abacab
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/01 17:15:15 (permalink)
stevetrusty11

What about splat?? Will I still be able to get that back on the new computer??

You can install Cakewalk Command Center and use that to reinstall Splat.  https://www.cakewalk.com/Command-Center

Then use BandLab Assistant to reinstall CbB.  https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

Your 3rd party plugins should be available from their manufacturer's website.  With XLN, you can sign onto your account on the web and install the latest XLN Online Installer, authorize your new computer, install your XLN plugins, etc.  XLN can be installed on two computers.  https://www.xlnaudio.com/install

With iZotope, you can install on multiple machines.  https://www.izotope.com/en/support/knowledge-base/installing-and-authorizing-on-multiple-computers.html

Other companies may have different requirements.  Celemony Melodyne allows two computers.  Waves is limited to one computer at a time, but you can move your license.  Many do offer only a one or two computer license, so that you will need to release at least one license from the old computer, if all of your available activations are in use.  You will probably need to go through and make a list of all your plugin serials, registrations, and site logins, in case you encounter any activation issues.

michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/01 17:40:04 (permalink)
It may be worth your while to try to repair the hard drive. There are cases where this is possible. I would check on Tom's Hardware or Sevenforums for help. If you can get it to boot, you can make image which you can put on a new hard drive. This would save you having to reinstall everything. On the other hand, it may be better to just go ahead and reinstall windows and all your proigrams. Although a royal pain and very time consuming, you do come away with a brand new system, which will work really well. Until it gets mucked up again, which windows always does...

This is why I prefer desktop computers for serious work. You can at least have 2 hard drives, and you can put most everything but windows and Cakewalk on the secondary drive, which saves you having to reinstall everything when the C drive expires. 

Another way to access the files on the drive: download a live Linux system on a USB. Plug it in to the laptop. You should be able to access the drive's files from Linux. You could then use another usb to copy them to. This has the advantage of being free, except for the usb drive (linux is free). 

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/01 17:48:12 (permalink)
Another reason to have a (current) full disc backup (disc image).  With a backup, to an external drive, with a program such as the free and popular Macrium Reflect its a relatively quick task to get a new hard drive configured, even in a laptop.

Jack's law:  Backups are not for IF they are ever needed, but for WHEN they are needed.

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
michael diemer
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/01 21:39:06 (permalink)
fireberd
Another reason to have a (current) full disc backup (disc image).  With a backup, to an external drive, with a program such as the free and popular Macrium Reflect its a relatively quick task to get a new hard drive configured, even in a laptop.

Jack's law:  Backups are not for IF they are ever needed, but for WHEN they are needed.

Absolutely. If you had a system image, you would just need to buy a new drive, and copy the image to it. Can't help you now, but be sure to do it once you get up and running, for the next time. And there will be a next time, as Jack's law states (and we can all confirm).

michael diemer
32 GB ram
UR22 interface

abacab
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/01 22:08:12 (permalink)
Jack's law, part II:  Don't get jacked!!! 

michael diemer
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/01 22:46:42 (permalink)
must be an inside joke.

michael diemer
32 GB ram
UR22 interface

abacab
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/02 00:09:08 (permalink)
michael diemer
must be an inside joke.

Ha!  Not really, in the context of Jack's law, don't be Jack!  Simple!

Leee
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 783
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/02 02:23:38 (permalink)
fireberd

As someone else mentioned in this thread, even if you backup your hard drive (and mirror it, I use Acronis True Image), the way Windows works, you would still need to reinstall all the programs and plugins because they need to be registered on a new machine.   I have tried this myself, several times over the years, by backing up an image file of the entire hard drive, but in the end I still had to manually reinstall most of my software and plugins, which took several days....a PITA.

If there IS a way to copy a hard drive, without having to reinstall everything, I'd love to know about that.
I never tried Macrium Reflect, but I'm guessing it's the same type of backup system as Acronis True Image.

Lee Shapiro
www.soundclick.com/leeshapiro

Welcome BandLab and thank you for giving Cakewalk and Sonar a new lease on life.
michael diemer
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/02 02:32:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Leee 2018/12/02 04:26:33
I believe it is possible to do it, if you put the new drive in the same computer as the old one came from. My suggestion was based on the assumption that the OP would be buying a new drive to put in the computer. Trying to put it into a different machine, yes you would have problems with authorizing. 

michael diemer
32 GB ram
UR22 interface

abacab
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/02 04:07:07 (permalink)
Moving an image to a new machine can cause problems with activations.  But replacing a hard drive and restoring a full drive image to the original machine that the image was made on should work.

stevetrusty11
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/03 17:43:54 (permalink)
Ok guys. Thank you I appreciate everyone’s info here! Especially jacks law! Lol

My drive isn’t bootable.. I’ve certainly been up and down toms hardware website. As well as a possible way to fix the drive my self, but scared to do so till I try to get my song first..

I have a complete backup of all files on my external hard drive which I’m pretty sure I backed up using acornsis or something of that sort with system image.. just not the most recent song I’ve been working on the last few weeks.. need to meet a dec 12th deadline. worst case I can start over but was trying to avoid it.. it’s mostly the midi I need as I hadn’t got to the audio portion yet..

My intentions were originally to hook the drive via usb to my desktop. Get my most recent save of that song. Put it on my external hard drive. Wipe my failing hard drive clean, or replace it and put everything back on my laptop from the external hard drive..
Well, with fear of my laptop failing again in some way since it getting aged my minds changed..

I just order a cs100 through sweetwater to get me by for now.. it has windows 10. coming from Windows 7.. so this should get real interesting now..

Now I’m going to have to figure out how to transfer these files to a different windows.. as far as I’ve looked into it, it doesn’t look to be easy..
I literally only use my laptop for music and personal music files/music video work. And I still have my win 7 desktop if for some reason I need to use it as my system image restore, THEN move stuff to win 10..

So I guess my question now is, once I download splat/bandlab/addictive/waves/izotope etc to the cs100.
Will I then be able to drag my projects into the cakewalk projects folder and boom all my music/data is now on windows 10?? Or is this a matter of those files only working on windows 7??

Hope this makes sense!
Also, you guys are saying “image”. I used backup software that I believe made a system image besides the most recent song I need. So yes I believe I have that but it’s not gonna help switching to windows 10 now I don’t think??
stevetrusty11
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/03 17:45:57 (permalink)
Actually I found an email, pretty sure I used NTI as my system image backup
michael diemer
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/03 21:26:53 (permalink)
A system image is not your usual backup. It is an exact copy of your C drive, and is an iso file. It is bootable once you put it on a hard drive. A regular backup is just of your files. Hopefully you do indeed have an image.

Going from W7 to W10 does complicate things. By the time you figure out all that you need to do, you might be better off just starting the song over again. Especially with a deadline looming.

michael diemer
32 GB ram
UR22 interface

stevetrusty11
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/03 22:12:14 (permalink)
Wise words man and I appreciate that.. I was reading some more.. and I’m thinking along the lines of that deadline like crazy lol..

But if I get a new hard drive, install it in the laptop, restore from the system image on my external hard drive. Then I at least have ALL my projects things back to normal at that point and everything but the one song.

Then upgrade the laptop to win 10, then transfer all its files over to the new cs100 desktop with win 10!
Lol
Complicated and still researching! But this seems almost seamless. That way all activations and extensions would still be there.. (besides the ones that allow only one computer, which is a whole other hurdle)

I’m waiting on the cable to come in the mail to see if my hard drive is completely bricked.. something tells me I’ll still be able to access them though.. wishfully hoping I suppose.
abacab
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/03 22:57:44 (permalink)
So I guess my question now is, once I download splat/bandlab/addictive/waves/izotope etc to the cs100.
Will I then be able to drag my projects into the cakewalk projects folder and boom all my music/data is now on windows 10??

Yes.

Some points to keep in mind:

1. Install your DAW and plugins on your new computer.  If you're going to migrate to a new computer, you will need to install and activate things from scratch.  Restoring your laptop first with a new hard drive via image would get the laptop running again, but would not spare you the pain of migrating things to a new computer.  It would still have a different computer ID even with the same OS.  The best you could still hope for would be transferring your data and projects.  All applications would still need to be installed and activated on the new computer.

2. If you have a system image, you should be able to mount the image file on your system as a virtual drive.  No need to restore the image to another drive to get to your backed up data in the image.  Once mounted you should be able to browse and copy just the files & folders you need over to your new computer using Windows file explorer.  Your old Cakewalk projects should just drag & drop into place on your new install of the Cakewalk software.

3. If your unbootable C: drive still spins up when attached via USB, you should just be able to copy your latest project files from there.  Hopefully your old C: drive only developed Windows boot errors, and is not physically bricked. 

Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/04 00:55:01 (permalink)
You mentioned your files where only midi. What I do now when at that stage ( just did 90 backing tracks) is I make One Drive my working folder. The files are always up to date locally and on the cloud. This wouldn't work very well with audio. At that point I copy over to my DATA drive and carry on. Those midi only CWP files are where I put the most of my work so to me they are most valuable to have as back ups. 
 One drive will store a lot of these projects and these songs all have at least 4-6 VST instruments and then some. All sorts of plug ins etc. But as you see 90 songs only used 44 MB. They load fast and never had anything not work. I highly recommend this plan to those working with midi as a pretty bulletproof backup system.  I of course also back up to external drives out of habit. 

post edited by Cactus Music - 2018/12/04 01:17:24

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

craigr68
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 102
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/04 03:45:00 (permalink)
Another option would be Steve Gibson's spinrite drive recovery utility at grc.com but it costs about $90.  He says it will also prolong the life of drives if you run it periodically, so it might be a good thing to have around.  I've never tried it, instead opting to keep macrium backups.
stevetrusty11
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/04 23:15:13 (permalink)
Definitely taking all this great advice in.
One major question you guys could maybe answer..

I ran a virus scan on my computer using Microsoft essentials as I always do weekly. I let it go over night. This time the next day the computer was locked up. So I force restarted it. When prompted I did not hit start windows normally, came back to the computer a few minutes later and it was in repair mode. After thinking I could abort. I force restarted while in progress. Well to my stupidity it restarted went to repair mode again. Hour later I did the same force restart. It was then when I was getting the no bootable drive “missing two hdds” message. This is what I did to cause the issue I believe.

The hard drive still spins up, no clicking noise.

So would this essentially say my hard drive is actually good? Just need to reboot windows from my system image backup and the hard drive is back to normal or am I wrong here?? Of course getting my song off the hard drive via usb first, which just arrived today.
abacab
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/05 00:25:16 (permalink)
Getting your current data off the hard drive should be first priority, before you even attempt any repairs, restores, etc.

Then using a repair disk. a savvy computer geek could probably use the Windows repair boot to get your system booting again.

You probably just boogered up your MBR (master boot record) on the hard drive, and that can be restored using the repair tools in Windows repair disk.

michael diemer
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/05 03:48:06 (permalink)
I have successfully repaired my windows systems many times with  a boot repair disc. It rebuilds your MBR, and takes just a few seconds. It is certainly worth a try. You can create one with the free version of Macrium. That's the one I use. But there are others. If this fails, you probably would need a savvy geek, as someone pointed out a bit ago. But I agree, if your disc spins, it probably can be fixed. Give this a try before giving up. 

michael diemer
32 GB ram
UR22 interface

stevetrusty11
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/06 18:07:10 (permalink)
Ok.
Update.

I was able to access my files via usb to my desktop using mini tool. Macrium would not access the files for some reason.
So I’ve recovered my recent song and other valuables.

No I’m ready to fix the boot problem.

In Macrium there’s 4 options if I reset the boot id will that make all my plug ins and programs have to never registered and installed? Plus 3 other options.. they don’t really go into detail what they do..

When using mini tool, everything shows as raw data. Though I was able to get any and every file to do with cakewalk. It’s just for just in case.
I have my image backup.

Can I now hook up my external hard drive with the image to my laptop and restore from the image? Then back to normal? Just put my latest save of my song I found back in my projects folder?
stevetrusty11
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/06 18:08:50 (permalink)
Several typos-
“Now I’m ready”

“Programs have to “re”(not never) register”
michael diemer
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/06 18:44:44 (permalink)
Rebuilding your master boot record (mbr) will only affect the very small software programs that allow your computer to boot. If it works, your computer will boot, and all will be well. If it doesn't, you have a more serious problem. My version of Macrium is old, and I'm not sure how to guide you, other than to study the various options it gives you. somewhere there has to be a way to rebuil your mbr.

If you have saved what you need, you can try restoring from the image. That also may or may not work. If it doesn't, once again you have more serious problems.

michael diemer
32 GB ram
UR22 interface

stevetrusty11
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/06 18:54:55 (permalink)
Gotcha. Thanks man I really appreciate your help and everyone else’s as well! At worse, at least I have my song! Lol
aidanodr
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 454
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/06 19:01:30 (permalink)
Steve,

Leave the drive in the laptop OR put it back in. Then load a LINUX DVD into the dvd drive and boot off that loading Lunux as live Linux working off the DVD, dont install it to the harddrive.

Once Linux Desktop open, run the file manager app ( similar to Windows explorer ). You might see your drive listed under OTHER. Double click and open. You can copy the content to a USB drive also attached. Linux will pick that drive up too.

Best simplest Linux flavour for this .. UBUNTU

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Download the ISO and burn on another puter if you can.

Always handy to have a Linux DVD for this kind of situation

burgerproduction
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 209
Re: Help! Laptop hard drive died 2018/12/06 19:26:26 (permalink)
Have you tried to make a rescue disk from another windows computer?
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3140449/windows/everything-you-need-to-know-about-windows-10-recovery-drives.html
You can try to repair your HD using this rescue disk
post edited by burgerproduction - 2018/12/06 20:00:13

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum Lifetimer, Windows 10, HP Laptop, CPU i5, RAM 8GB. Audio interface: Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface with moded drivers. Microphones: Audio-Technica, M-Audio, Behringer, AKG. Pianos: Casio digital, Yamaha B1 upright.  Guitars: Dobro, Tanglewood, Danelectro, Fender. Hats: Fez
Check out my music :
https://53mph.bandcamp.com/album/like-water-to-the-sand

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1