Help With Auto Tune

Author
Tha Duce
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 380
2004/09/01 02:49:31 (permalink)

Help With Auto Tune

Ok I have autotune and well ive used it with some success I was wondering if anyone has any tips for vocals mostly rap and some one "trying to sing a lil bit" I dont use it much with rap cauz its realy not needed but somtimes I play with it. but mostly I find it more usefull for chours when somone including myself is trying to sing hehe. anyways im not an expert so if anyone could give me some tips and a basic step by step of how to use it. thanks a ton

7 Replies Related Threads

johndale
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3228
    RE: Help With Auto Tune 2004/09/01 03:03:22 (permalink)
    True in rap neither melody or meter are needed. But as far as autotune go's if you know your scales and how you are trying to applt your modes it can be a peice of gake. Other than that I find it to be alot of trail and error, like any true creative thang.............JDW
    Tha Duce
    RE: Help With Auto Tune 2004/09/01 03:05:48 (permalink)
    umm ok not the response was was looking for but ok... anyone else?

thanks john anyways
    6stringsat100mph
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1385
    RE: Help With Auto Tune 2004/09/01 03:53:20 (permalink)
    well duce what specifically were you looking for...Johndale was 100% right on with the fact that before autotune is to be usefull to anyone they must kknow what keys they are in and if it is major or minor....you can get away with the chromatic setting but it is not as accurate for what I have found....so what ARE you wanting to know?
    Where did you get your copy of it? It is kinda spendy for a rapper to have invested in....did you download a cracked copy for trial? Alot of folks do that.? Just curious...
    6strings
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    RE: Help With Auto Tune 2004/09/01 05:34:46 (permalink)
    allright homie, here it is. You need a keyboardif you dont have one. Whatver song you are rapping on, when you are trying to "sing a little bit", as in putting a melody to your vocals instead of "spoken", you need to play the keyboard notes and find out what the "root note", which will be the "key" that the song is in. If you make beats and know the key of them( key of C, a minor, B flat, etc.), then its easy, but if you just have a beat or made them without knowing what key you were in, find out! Without knowing that, there is litle hope for accuracy.

After you determine the key it is in, in autotune, choose the key.

Then, in the other choice, shoose major, minor, or chromatic(more of a blues scale).

Also, choose the voice- Alto, Tenor(high male singer or low female singer), barritone, bass(lower range male singer), soprano(high female singer). after that

The default settings for the rest of it(fast/slow and relaxed/choosy)are pretty good as they dont usually give away the autotune effect too much, as in making the vocals sound "robotic".

If you find the vocals are still night quite in tune(this takes a good ear for the correct pitch, so I hope you have that my friend, if not sure, get help from someone you knows does have a good sense of wether a voice is in tune with the key of the song or not), try turning the relaxed/choosy knob more towards relaxed, so autotune will be more often correcting pitch, and/or turn the fast/slow know towards fast as it will correct pitch faster.

If it is too robotic, first make sure you have the settings right and the vocals sound in tune with the key of the song. Make sure your key setting and voice settings are correct. Then, try putting the relaxed/choosy knob towards choosy so autotune will be choosy about which notes it tries too correct, and/or put the fast/slow knob more towards slow so Autotune wont change pitch so quickly. This may help reduce the "robotic" sound like that R&B singer "Kevin Lyttle" has so much. If you like that sound, crank the knobs to way more relaxed and way more fast settings, and listen!

Between listening for the vocals being on pitch and avoiding robotic sound(unless desired), you can find a happy medium that should make the vocals you are "trying to sing" in tune. Remember, to use it for tuning vocals, autotune must be set in the correct key of the song(A, C minor, etc.), scale of the song(major, minor, chromatic) and the correct vocalist setting chosen. Im on on tour worldwide with Shifty, the rapper from Crazy Town. I am an R&B singer and producer, and I know the importance of autotune in todays music, especially someone truly isnt a singer. Kevin Lyttle sounds like crap live(he is on Warner Bros. like us) and autotune makes him sound robotic as hell, but in his style, it sounds very cool, and he is in tune with the effect. Thats why the clubs are bumping it. Its "cool". For you, use your ear or someone elses to find"cool" according to your flavor. Dont let ego get in the way. If you know pitch, well, thats good! If not, dont let it mess you up man. Just get a second opinion from someone you know knows. Its all about the end result. If this advice doesnt concern you, then more power to you. But as far as pitch goes, its takes a musical ear to hear it, and using the autotune plugin correctly. Most rappers dont have that concept, some do, and thats cool. Rappers have something a lot of time that singers dont, like a flava or style. As for me, well, I got it all man! hehe...I hope you do well homie.

Best Regards, Pony Boy
    www.shiftymusic.com
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    RE: Help With Auto Tune 2004/09/01 08:14:37 (permalink)
    Auto-tune comes with tutorials that might help you. The manual does a thorough job of explaining its features and gives step-by-step instructions for using Auto-tune. Also, the above advice is right on the money. Hope this helps.
    Lynn
    Tha Duce
    RE: Help With Auto Tune 2004/09/01 12:16:46 (permalink)
    wow thanks for the great Replys most defeently
    6stringsat100mph
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1385
    RE: Help With Auto Tune 2004/09/02 00:06:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Lanceindastudio

Then, in the other choice, shoose major, minor, or chromatic(more of a blues scale).

Nice explination except for one little thing...a chromatic scale is any scale with all notes including sharps and flats ....meaning for Cmaj it would be C|C#|D|D#|E|F|F#|G|G#|A|A#|B........just FYI....one other thing, the scale mentioned was typed for clarity obviously the flats would be what they are..
    regards,
    6strings
    < Message edited by 6stringsat100mph -- 9/1/2004 9:08:24 PM >
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1