Help polishing off raw recorded vocals.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/14 19:21:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

thats the best adviceIve seen from you sir

Ib was drunk when posting that....

My favorice CJ quote:

"Onboard should be thrown overboard".

Were you drunk then too? If, so, give that man another; on me.
CJaysMusic
  • Total Posts : 30423
RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/14 19:24:45 (permalink)
No, I did chuckle when i worte the onboard should be thrown overboard

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog
Mooch4056
Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7494
RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/14 19:43:13 (permalink)
Oh, sorry if I sounded like an arrogant egotistical ass when I said that... I just wanted to make a point that pitch correcting and singing techniques is not what I'm really concentrated on, because I learn that from my teacher. (I don't have private lessons, so of course im not amazing, but 1hour of instruction a day helps:]) And that im more interested in actualy effects used after the vocal and guitar piece are recorded.

oh now -- i was just messing with you -- all muscians have ego's .. even if they dont think they do ..... and even the ones who dont SEEM to have an ego do

your a good singer ... especially for a 17 year old ..... you'll need your ego to compete with whats out there --

ego might be a bad word --- i am talking more about confidence --

you really need to be sure of yourself in the music buisness -- you have to be -- because everyone else is so sure of themselves --

you'll see what i mean the more good musicians you work with through out your career --

when i was 17 i had promo pics -- and tapes of all kinds -- -- i was sure of myself and though I was a big deal -- thats why i joke about it now --

went to a music college where ( oh my gosh ... i discovered there were musicians just as good ... EVEN BETTER than me..... got put in my place fast) -- but i needed my confidence -- thats for sure

dont loose that --

you we're right and stating that its not your vocals or singing that was NOT the problem -- its not -- your question was about recording technique --

again -- i was just messing with you

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

Westside Steve
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 794
RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/14 20:11:47 (permalink)
It also sounds like there's some heavy pitch correction if nobody else mentioned it.

But the photo.....
Yikes.
WSS
Mooch4056
RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/14 20:13:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Westside Steve

It also sounds like there's some heavy pitch correction if nobody else mentioned it.

But the photo.....
Yikes.
WSS

LOL @ "but the photo"

guitartrek
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2842
RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/14 20:52:31 (permalink)
As others have said there are a ton of tools that come with Sonar. You could start with the vintage chanel for a good compressor. You'll want to read up on compressors if you are not familiar. The LP64 "vocal lift" preset is a nice thing to try if you are lacking crispness. Also the Tubelever vocal preset adds polish to your vocal track. Try these out. While recording voice you should be aware of "proximity effect". Google this - you'll get the idea quickly. You can use proximity effect to your advantage, but it can also be problematic.

Marah
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 975
RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/14 21:11:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: guitartrek

While recording voice you should be aware of "proximity effect". Google this - you'll get the idea quickly. You can use proximity effect to your advantage, but it can also be problematic.

This is where mic technique (which isn' the same as vocal technique) comes into play.
Mooch4056
RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/15 01:45:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Marah

ORIGINAL: guitartrek

While recording voice you should be aware of "proximity effect". Google this - you'll get the idea quickly. You can use proximity effect to your advantage, but it can also be problematic.

This is where mic technique (which isn' the same as vocal technique) comes into play.

marah - I bet your friend with all those videos he organizes has some mic technique

i am just saying

Crg
  • Total Posts : 7719
RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/15 07:45:16 (permalink)
Tonight im defiantly going to do some more research, currently im messing around with the Sonalkis plugins(Compressor, EQ, gate, ect.) and have no Idea what im doing! Im not complaining about that fact, there is no reason I should know what im doing because this is my first time using products like this to an extent, but the manuals confuse me even more haha. Oh well, its a road we all go down, and once I learn how to use them im sure it will carry on with the rest of my recordings:]

Just play a track, vocal since thats what you're working on, and adjust each control in the effect from zero to maximum. You'll begin to see the influence of each on the audio playing. How you stack the effects in the virtual effects chain will have an influence also. It can get complicated so you have to experiment-play with it. When you arrive at some combination you like, remember to save it with another name in the presets list. Is the MCA SP1 a relatively cheap condensor mic?

post edited by Crg - 2009/07/15 07:48:23

Craig DuBuc
tyacko
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1190
RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/15 08:22:54 (permalink)
Just play a track, vocal since thats what you're working on, and adjust each control in the effect from zero to maximum. You'll begin to see the influence of each on the audio playing.

This is true as long as your mixing environment is good. For myself, I feel like my mixes improved when I corrected my room with treatments (and got decent monitors). That is when I could truly hear how applying effects affected the mix (especially EQ because my room had bass buildup issues).

Our SoundClick page

ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel i7 3930K, 32gig RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws, RME Babyface USB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, UAD-2, Intel 510 120gig SSD Drive, Win7 64-bit, Sonar X1E 64-bit, Studio One V2 
jerjabs
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 427
RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/15 13:00:22 (permalink)
1) Double you vocal take. This means record the vocal line twice on two seperate tracks. Both tracks need to be as similar to each other as possible. Keep the panning of both in the center. You can pull or "tuck" one of them if you want. This means lower it's fader and keep the other one higher. Play with this.

2) Put a compressor plugin on both tracks. Dont over compress...alittle will be fine.

3) EQ the vocals. Boost them around 10k-15k

4) Add a plate reverb to the tracks. Again, never too much. You want to "feel it" rather than hear it.

5) Add a very slight bit of delay to the tracks. This you have to play with to find the correct timing of the delay.

There are a million ways to record vocals and this is just one. But if you mess with it long enough you will get a good modern sound.

i7-920, 8 GIGS DDR5, SONAR Pro 8.5.2, Motu Ultralite, UA Twin-Finity 710 pre, RNC 1773, M-Audio Axium 49, Event TR 8 and SP-5B Monitors, KRK Sub, Jolymod Oktava 219 mic, MXL V69m, SM7B, Studio Projects C1, POD 2.0 and APHEX 661 & the Variax 700 acoustic.
skullsession
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1765
RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/15 13:14:01 (permalink)
Am I missing something?

Some people (besides the OP) are saying this kid has a great voice. I can't find a link to HIS song.......his YouTube link is a link to a pro song.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
skullsession
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1765
RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/15 13:18:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: daveny5

dont sing directly into the mic...keep it at 45 degrees.......not that it helps me doh!

That's ridiculous.

I'll bite....

WHY is that ridiculous?

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1