Help polishing off raw recorded vocals.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
MiykPace
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 115
2009/07/13 20:07:58 (permalink)

Help polishing off raw recorded vocals.

Hello everyone. currently im recording vocals(and acoustic guitar) through a MCA SP1 mic, connected to a MultiMix8 USB2.0 mixer into my computer and through Sonar 8 Producers:]

Most of the equipment is new, and I am using it for the first time today! Everything is set up fine, but I am inexperianced with editing and recording. Right now, the vocals are "bland" to say the least. Im 17 years old, and a first tenor in my school chamber, so I know its not vocal talent that is lacking, its more of the effects that I am unsure what to do about.

Im looking to produce a vocal sound like that of this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FToDIdtYzQM

Our voices are very similar, and I just love the whole feel the vocals give off. Of course im going to have to do the same with acoustic guitar aswell, but im taking it one step at a time, and want to make sure I can get my vocals as close to that sound as possible.

42 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/13 20:30:44 (permalink)
    It sounds real breathy... do you have a nice pop filter? Work close to the mike and sing with the breathing as part of the style rather than as a by product.

...and it doesn't hurt to have a deal with Warner Bro's either.

best,
    mike

daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/13 20:31:30 (permalink)
    You need to get a good recording using a condenser mic in a room with good acoustics or a vocal booth, EQ it (to enhance the breathiness) and add just a touch of reverb. If you have a really good voice, you don't need a lot of effects.
    post edited by daveny5 - 2009/07/13 20:33:33

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    Jose7822
    • Total Posts : 10031
    RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/13 20:41:56 (permalink)
    You say you're using your equipment for the first time?

You need to get to know your equipment before you even start getting good results. Recording and Mixing are arts that takes time to develop, just like singing. My advice to you would be to read about these subjects as much as possible and put everything you learn to practice. You can start with this song you just recorded. But eventually you'll start learning how to record vocals with mic techniques that involve not only how to position the mic, but also how to sing into it (you probably know about the latter if you're used to singing through a mic).

Anyways, the vocals from the video uses FX that are common on vocals like EQ, Reverb and Compression. With EQ you have to learn how to compliment the vocals depending on how they were recorded and create the necesary space for them. Reverb adds ambience and depth to the vocals while the compressor can be used to bring out the softer parts of the vocals, and also as an FX to make them breathe as in the video. There are different techniques used to accomplish this that would take too much time to explain (especially if you have no clue about signal routing). Star learning the basics of how to use these effects, and how to best record an instrument and you'll get there. Just be patient and practice as much as you can.

Take care!

Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/13 21:11:08 (permalink)
    I'm not sure what you mean by bland but I'll throw in some advice for effects. First of all, are you using a mic preamp? Did you record with an EQ active? Did you use an effects processor when recording? Going into the recording is important.
    As far as effects for vocal, reverb, EQ, gating, etc.. You can use them without adding them to the recording to get the feel you want and then add them during editing. A bland track is easier to work with adding effects later. There are many good vocal tweaks in Sonar 8's effects. I suggest two methods which seem to contradict each other because the focus of people is different.
    1: Add EQ to the voice prior to- while you're recording, get the depth first. Then add some reverb, go lighter than you think you should. Ambient reverbs are good for this. Record your vocal track with the effects running, it will still be "bland"-without effects, until you apply the effects via the Sonar process menu, apply effects function. Play with it awhile, try some different settings on the effects before you apply them to the track.

I like the Vintage Channel- liquid boost for vocals after they've been EQ'd. But there are several excellent effects for vocal.

2: Add every effect you like the sound of and record the track, apply the effects and work with it afterward.
    Much harder to fix.

I think you'll like method 1, when trying to arrive at a sound.
    post edited by Crg - 2009/07/13 21:13:18

Craig DuBuc
    someotherguy
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 321
    RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/13 21:20:21 (permalink)
    Lots of pitch correction and compression will do you fine, cut all frequencies below 150Hz too.
    PC1211
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 167
    RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/13 21:26:13 (permalink)
    It would be much easier to give you pointers if we could hear what you've recorded. "Bland" could mean a hundred different things to a hundred different people. There's no way for anyone to appreciate what you're hearing without hearing it for themselves.
    someotherguy
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 321
    RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/13 21:29:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: PC1211

It would be much easier to give you pointers if we could hear what you've recorded. "Bland" could mean a hundred different things to a hundred different people. There's no way for anyone to appreciate what you're hearing without hearing it for themselves.

That's actually a not altogether crap idea there. We already have the target sound so we just need to hear the source.

(nobody mention HarBal)
    MiykPace
    RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/13 21:38:26 (permalink)
    Wow alot of great replies:]

And to clarify "bland", Im recording with no effects(no EQ, reverb, anything). The sound level seems right, its just lacking depth and other qualities that good vocal recordings have, and I want to get as close as I can to these as possible.

The main problem is im somewhat new to recording with sonar, im used to doing it with FL Studio Producers rather than Sonar, but I recently switched, intending to use Sonar for vocals and guitar and FL Studio for synth. I went back and recorded in FL Studio, using some presets in the Fruity Parametric EQ 2, as well as Fruity Reverb 2 and Fruity Compressor. (As you can see, I dont have many other VSTs for these sort of things outside the ones Image-Line provided) While doing this, I did find a sound that is a lot closer to what I want than I had before:]

I also have Autotune and Melodyne plugin, I stay away from autotune though, I rarely ever use it because it normally just screws things up. Melodyne is really nice though, and helps out alot if one note is really bothering me.(And for some reason I cant get Melodyne to work properly with Sonar)

Again, the real problem is my lack of experience with VSTs in this sort of field, I may just stick to recording in FL Studio until I branch out to using other VSTs.

Once again thanks for the responses, and any VST recomendations would be appreciated!
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/13 22:07:38 (permalink)
    The sound level seems right, its just lacking depth and other qualities that good vocal recordings have

If your vocal doesnt sound good dry, it wont have the qualities of a good vocal. Fixing after the fact isnt really a great idea for vocals or any other instrument. Get it right and it will sound good with no effetcs

Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    kcearl
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 504
    RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/13 22:15:45 (permalink)
    dont sing directly into the mic...keep it at 45 degrees.......not that it helps me doh!
    post edited by kcearl - 2009/07/13 22:16:19

Sonar 8 Studio, Ableton Live 8, XP Media SP2, Intel Dual Core 2.80Ghz, 4GB RAM, 500 & 250Gb SATA

http://www.soundclick.com/trainsetghetto

CJaysMusic
    RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/13 22:20:15 (permalink)
    I usually keep the mic about 2 inches above my mouth or at nose level and about 3 inches to 15 inches away from me, depending on the sound i want
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/13 22:28:13 (permalink)
    dont sing directly into the mic...keep it at 45 degrees.......not that it helps me doh!

That's ridiculous.
    post edited by daveny5 - 2009/07/13 22:29:45

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    MiykPace
    RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/13 22:33:07 (permalink)
    Its not that the vocals dont sound good dry, it sounds "good" dry as far as dry vocals can sound, but I'm aiming for a sound that is a bit more "professional". I'm sure most pop artists use all sorts of effects on their voice to get a nice commercial sound, and I know its different for everyone but if I can nail a generic sounding effect I can tweak it to my voice.

I do want to record my vocals and guitar with Sonar and not FL Studio, and thats where the trouble comes in, because im not familiar with doing it on Sonar. I read through much of the help, and have added some fx, but is it better to add the fx after the raw recording? And if so Im not sure how to go about adding effects after the track is recorded, and on top of that, what effects are generally used in vocals.
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/13 23:27:38 (permalink)
    MiykPace - I think I know what you mean. I record vocals completely dry - but I have an amp sim of a neve pre-amp in the effects bin of the track. Recording with, or emulating at mic pre-amp takes the dry vocal and makes it come alive (without any effects). Are you recording with a mic pre, or have access to a good pre-amp vst?
    Marah
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 975
    RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/14 00:01:37 (permalink)
    Hi MiykPace. Some good advice, from Jose in particular.

Learn how to "play the mic." Think of the mic as the ear of a girl or a guy you want to seduce. Because that's what the mic is: your listener's ear. Come in close, move out further, as the singing dynamics change with the needs not only of the melody and the arrangement, but with the lyrics as well. Anywhere from 18 inches away to practically kissing it. Seduce, and it won't be bland, performance wise.

Record at 24 bit, for useful and flexible dynamic range, and don't worry too much about levels. Don't clip, which is not that difficult, even when recording without a compressor on the input side.

While you're seducing the mic, don't get seduced by technology. There are lots of cool plugins you can buy, and lots of free ones that are as cool as those you buy. But none of them are necessary at this stage in your recording experience.

If you've got Sonar 8 Producer, you have enough choices in all the main processor categories to get you comfortably familiar with what they do, no need to chase down this or that plugin just someone says it's better than that or this one. The difference between one compressor and another or one eq and another won't matter much until you have a better idea of how to use them in the first place. Swapping one for another isn't going to make THE difference in what you're producing. As for hardware, at this stage, if anyone tells you you really need to get some fancy piece of outboard, tell em thanks, but no thanks. It's a bridge to nowhere. Learn to use the tools you've got until you actually know why, exactly, they suck.

BTW, VST isn't synonymous with fx or plugin. Some of the plugins that come with Sonar are VST. Others are the DX variety. So it's possible that you have more fx than you think. The Sonitus plugins that come with Sonar are DX. They're very good, and well designed, and great for getting your ears wet. As for the difference between VST and DX, for all practical purposes, it's a difference without a difference. I wouldn't worry about it.

It's not possible (or it's at least not convenient) to actually record plugins along with your voice or anything else. Just as well, again, especially before you really know what the plugins generally do, and what you specifically need them to do. (And even then, it's not necessary.) In fact, the best way to learn how to use these things is to mess with them AFTER you've got a reasonably decent recording, when you can actually hear what they're doing to the sound. Recording dry is the way to go.

OTOH, it IS possible to record while you monitor the track (or input) through fx. Just make sure you're comfortable with the sound, and that you're not creating latency (time lag) that interferes with your ability to perform.

Um.... generally....?

Try to have a good idea of what you're actually trying to accomplish. Do you want to showcase a singing and/or songwriting style? Are you hoping to make something that sounds like a professionally recorded and produced record? There's a huge gap -- and lots of intermediate goals -- between those two things. The first, you might already have. The second, is likely to take a while.....

What's the purpose of the recording? Are you doing it *only* for fun? Do you want to become next year's big thing? Here again, if it's the first, then none of this matters and you're already there (in fact, you're always there.) If it's the second, then the truth is, you're unlikely to actually get there if you first have to get on top of every aspect of recordmaking, by yourself, in your room, on your own credit card.

It's easy to get seduced (there's that word again) by the whole thing. Since it's relatively easy to record stuff that sounds alright (modern recording technology is awesome), it's even easier to get on a never ending quest for better. Nothing wrong with that; better is better is better. Problem is, you can end up spending most of your time clicking from one contradictory interview with an engineer to another, and trying to figure out which anonymous posters on some forum know what's what and who are simply repeating blah blah and trying to convince others to take the same path they took, and whether you should subscribe to Sound on Sound or EQ, or maybe Mix, or maybe all of em. You can end up with a stack of books by legendary knobbers which you're not REALLY interested in reading and whose main value is as nonprescription sleep aides.

Basically, know what you want to accomplish. Know what it involves. Know what your interests and strengths are. Know what your patience is. Try to involve others with complementary interests, strengths, and patience. (Complementary technology is also nice, but again you already have more than you need to get further than you're currently capable of going.) Don't believe what you read on message boards. Don't even hang out on message boards (some on the boards might know what they're doing, but not one of them knows what you should be doing.) Don't believe the hype. RTFM. Work fast. Don't be afraid to suck. Kill your idols. Watch the parking meters. Seduce everyone. Don't seduce yourself.
    post edited by Marah - 2009/07/14 00:15:19
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/14 00:36:41 (permalink)
    Don't believe what you read on message boards. Don't even hang out on message boards (some on the boards might know what they're doing, but not one of them knows what you should be doing.) Don't believe the hype. RTFM. Work fast. Don't be afraid to suck. Kill your idols. Watch the parking meters. Seduce everyone. Don't seduce yourself.

Don't even hang out on message boards

WOW! What? And miss out on lyrical inspiration like that? Message boards rock...

Sketching out ideas is always a good starting point I guess.

Palettes knives, brushes, oils, watercolours, acrylics or even pickling livestock in formaldehyde, man, so much choice of media how am I ever gonna get my art expressed?

But then again some folk find that they get to like the aspects of production more than the actual creation of material and ultimately thats where they find their talents lie after all.

Who knows? Fun journey though.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/07/14 00:43:13

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    MiykPace
    RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/14 01:09:07 (permalink)
    Lots of great information in their Marah, and thank you.

I guess its just frustrating, because I can sing and play guitar well, its just when recorded it doesn't sound quiet the way I wanted it to come out. Im sure its not the gears fault either, the quality is more than I can ask for, its more of the overall sound its not quiet as "crisp" as I want it to be.

Its also frustrating when opening up all these EQs, Compressors and such, and not knowing what in the world to do with them! Even when looking through manuals and websites my knowledge of how to use them is still lacking. Tomorrow chances are im going to put up a recording of my vocals and guitar, and see what you guys have to say about what I can do with it to make it sound more desirable.

Sorry if I'm asking to much, but I am actually having alot of fun learning and doing this, I mean I have been in my basement for the better part of 6 hours now researching and testing out recordings and have enjoyed every minute of it. Of course my experience is lacking, but thats what I love about forums with people that have the experience.

EDIT: Oh and right now I am just covering a song, because I wanted to get a feel for recording at home before I jump into my own content. :]
    post edited by MiykPace - 2009/07/14 01:10:31
    Marah
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 975
    RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/14 01:24:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MiykPace

Tomorrow chances are im going to put up a recording of my vocals and guitar...

Cool. I liked the song you linked to. Nice voice. Nice mood.

Sorry if I'm asking to much, but I am actually having alot of fun learning and doing this, I mean I have been in my basement for the better part of 6 hours now researching and testing out recordings and have enjoyed every minute of it. Of course my experience is lacking, but thats what I love about forums with people that have the experience.

Yeah. It's almost unbearably fun.

EDIT: Oh and right now I am just covering a song, because I wanted to get a feel for recording at home before I jump into my own content. :]

That's a good idea, working on something you have less of an investment in.

Also like I said, check out the Sonitus plugins. As a set, they're good for learning, partly cos they all have the same straightforward interface, so there's no visual overhead or distraction. And their sound is good (least I think so... but everyone's different... )

post edited by Marah - 2009/07/14 01:25:11
    Shadow of The Wind
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/14 01:54:09 (permalink)
    I guess you can get this sound by boosting high frequencies, feeding it through a compressor followed by the Modern Analoger and/or the Camel Crusher (names may not be correct), a chorus or flanger and a reverb.

Wilko
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/14 01:59:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

The sound level seems right, its just lacking depth and other qualities that good vocal recordings have

If your vocal doesnt sound good dry, it wont have the qualities of a good vocal. Fixing after the fact isnt really a great idea for vocals or any other instrument. Get it right and it will sound good with no effetcs

Cj

thats the best adviceIve seen from you sir

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    Jose7822
    RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/14 02:36:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Marah

Also like I said, check out the Sonitus plugins. As a set, they're good for learning, partly cos they all have the same straightforward interface, so there's no visual overhead or distraction. And their sound is good (least I think so... but everyone's different... )

The Sonitus Suite and the old Cakewalk plugins rock!!!

To OP,

Everything you need in order to make a professional recording (that's right, professional) is included with Sonar Producer Edition. I totally agree with everything Marah said, especially how we all get sucked into thinking that this next plugin (or gear) will make my music sound sooo much better. That's why I've stoped worrying about that and just focus on what I have. Cakewalk has put an excellent package with Sonar that will get you the results you want provided you learn how to use it. Remember, you can have the best equipment in the world and make bad sounding recordings (the opposite is true as well). Just keep at it. It'll take time, but it's all worth it.

Take care!

tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/14 08:21:00 (permalink)
    I agree with Jose, Cakewalk does provide everything you need to get your music to sound good. You really do need to understand what, when, why, and how much about recording/mixing first before you will achieve mixes that you will be completely happy with. Take the advice of many here and learn the craft if you really are that determined to get the sound you are looking for.

There is a pattern to methods used when we mix our music, but in the end the pattern isn't always the same. It really depends on the material and the feel of the music that we are trying to capture/present.

With enough time and patience, you will get your music to sound the way YOU like it. Heck, if you stay at this for a while you'll look back on this recording and say to yourself "I could have done that better". And with time and knowledge you will.

Tom

Our SoundClick page

ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel i7 3930K, 32gig RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws, RME Babyface USB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, UAD-2, Intel 510 120gig SSD Drive, Win7 64-bit, Sonar X1E 64-bit, Studio One V2 
    whattarush
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 713
    RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/14 10:18:15 (permalink)
    I usually use a delay (routed to a buss) to really spice up my vocal tracks and I use a VERY small amount of reverb on a second buss, i.e., Perfect Space, with the dry signal set to zero and the mix signal adjusted as desired. This along with a little eq and compression on the vocal tracks usually give me the results that I'm looking for. (Unless the vocalists themselves just plain sucks, then there's nothing that I can do ).

"When your moving in the positive, your destination is the brightest star"!!! www.elmarqrecords.com/ www.reverbnation.com/label/elmarqrecordsllc" www.facebook.com/pages/ElMarq-Records/160103362281 "Never look down on anyone UNLESS you're picking them up!"
    glen55
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/14 13:49:52 (permalink)
    Patience, grasshopper!

You sound like me four months ago: you just got this cool stuff, and you wanta make it happen now! Well, if you're like me, it ain't gonna happen now - but also, if you're like me, it's going to be enough fun to hang in there til it does happen.

If I could go back in time four months to give myself some advice, and maybe this would be applicable to you, it would be to not get so invested in what you're doing right now. Sure, keep creating and working on your creations to make 'em better, but you're going to make better stuff down the road once you've got your feet wet. So think of the songs you're working on now more as exercises.

I have nowhere near the Sonar/home recording capabilities of some of the studs who frequent this forum, and I'm not about to try to replicate or modify any of the excellent technical and workflow advice you've gotten. But I can tell you that the new stuff I am working on, now that I am starting projects with at least some grasp on Sonar and basic recording and mixing techniques, is way ahead of the three songs I pumped out in the first few weeks in the studio. (I expect to put the first new song on my Soundclick page and the Songs forum here in no more than a couple of days.)

My best guess is that it works that way for a lot of people. So what I'm saying is:

Learn
    Enjoy
    Read
    Experiment
    Create
    Tweak
    Reflect
    (Repeat until satisfied)

and

With patience and a bottle of sweet oil, the snail at length reaches Jerusalem.

The Beatles, Sinatra, Elton John, Zappa, Steely Dan, Howlin' Wolf, Pink Floyd, Al Green, ELO,  Nickelback, at the moment. Yourself?
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/14 16:56:37 (permalink)
    A lot of great advice here MiykPace. And here goes another round. What kind of Mic are you using? Brand name and type.
    I don't care what anyone says but a "good" microphone can make a world of difference in recording vocals.

Craig DuBuc
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/14 17:08:29 (permalink)

Ib was drunk when posting that....

Audio Blog
    Jose7822
    RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/14 17:15:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

Ib was drunk when posting that....

LMAO @ CJ :-D

Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/14 17:24:59 (permalink)
    a first tenor in my school chamber, so I know its not vocal talent that is lacking

LOL..... funny -- 17 years old and no lack in confidence..... sigh ..... yeah you a musician with an ego -- just like the rest of us...... welcome to the world of being a musician -- where everyone is the best at what they do -- LOL

I forgot to mention -- in the coffee house I have been reminding everyone here that ... I am kind of a big deal ..... in case any of you forget -- I am STILL kind of big deal -- lol

first ... you're right ... you have a good voice.....

and yeah a good condesor mic in a dry as room as possible would be a good start -- along with a pop filter

experiment with mic position -- and how far away you are would help with the breath noise

really there are articles and books on all this stuff ... and I can .. as well as others write bout it and give pages of written advice

the biggest thig is you have to learn on your own through experince... here is what I would do

1. Try out lots of different mics -- understand and learn aabout tube mics -- ribbon mics -- and what does that word cardio mean -- I mean a cardio mic??? whats that ?

2. Whats a pre amp have to do with my microphone choice?

3. Why the heck does everyone put compression on vocals?

2. -- play with EQ'ing -- boy oh boy -- EQ cn make or break a mix -- and often we have to EQ vocals to get it to sit just right in the mix -- also understand that you're going to have frequency conflicts -- where you get clashing of frequences between your voice and another instrument -- and knowing about EQ will help you -- bottom line -- like i said experiment with EQ

3. Did I say EXPERIMENT -- trial and error?

4. Have fun -- music is my best friends -- my greatest lover -- yet at times my worst enemy -- I wouldnt trade it for anything
    post edited by Mooch4056 - 2009/07/14 17:28:00

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

MiykPace
    RE: Help polishing off raw recorded vocals. 2009/07/14 19:01:29 (permalink)
    Oh, sorry if I sounded like an arrogant egotistical ass when I said that... I just wanted to make a point that pitch correcting and singing techniques is not what I'm really concentrated on, because I learn that from my teacher. (I don't have private lessons, so of course im not amazing, but 1hour of instruction a day helps:]) And that im more interested in actualy effects used after the vocal and guitar piece are recorded.

Tonight im defiantly going to do some more research, currently im messing around with the Sonalkis plugins(Compressor, EQ, gate, ect.) and have no Idea what im doing! Im not complaining about that fact, there is no reason I should know what im doing because this is my first time using products like this to an extent, but the manuals confuse me even more haha. Oh well, its a road we all go down, and once I learn how to use them im sure it will carry on with the rest of my recordings:]

Also thanks for the amazing advice everyone.

Edit: Oh and just clearing things up, currently using a MCA SP1 Consender mic with a popfilter. No shockmount yet, it was on backorder but I should get it soon.
    post edited by MiykPace - 2009/07/14 19:03:55
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1