Help sonar 8

Author
Jens-Åke
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
2015/09/15 13:27:46 (permalink)

Help sonar 8

Hello! Im new here so i hope i post this in the right section.

I have this vst calld Migic, and i need help getting this work.
Its a vst that transform your guitar notes into midi! Just google it and you find more info..

www.bituosity.com

Seems to be a great vst!
I got guitar connected, and thats about it.. I have no idea how to proceed and its feels like i tryed everything.
Anyone that can help me?

I using sonar 8, win 7 64-bit
Thanks!

// Jens
post edited by Jens-Åke - 2015/09/15 13:38:47

23 Replies Related Threads

Mesh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re: Help sonar 8 2015/09/15 13:56:31 (permalink)
    It's been awhile since I used Sonar 8.....IIRC....

When you insert a softsynth, make sure the "Enable MIDI Output" is checked. 
    Then you just have to insert it as an effect on the audio track in Sonar (your guitar track).
    After inserting the plugin to your audio track, you’ll need to connect the MIDI output to the virtual instrument

Hopefully, someone else will chime in with a bit more clear instructions.

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    Jens-Åke
    Re: Help sonar 8 2015/09/15 14:26:48 (permalink)
    Thanks for answer!
    I Inserted Migic to audio track, have sound from the guitar also.
    inserted a softsynth, also can hear this.
    When opening the softsynth i checked "Enable MIDI Output"
    i dont know how to "connect" the two tracks..
    heres a screen how it looks.. hope you might know what im doing wrong.
    I cant get the image thing to work so here the link:
    sorry i cant get the pic to show.. ?

post edited by Jens-Åke - 2015/09/15 14:43:16
    Jens-Åke
    Re: Help sonar 8 2015/09/15 14:33:33 (permalink)
    www.ladda-upp.se/image.php?id=164238&size=full
    post edited by Jens-Åke - 2015/09/15 14:46:35
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Help sonar 8 2015/09/15 14:59:04 (permalink)
    Generally to get effects plug-ins to send/receive MIDI data before X3 required the plug-in to be configured as a synth. This is done in the properties page for the plug-in which may be accessed using the Cakewalk Plug-in Manager. It may be more involved than just setting the plug-in as a synth though. Here are the details for a similar product: http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/2749799 I have no experience running this type of plug-in in anything prior to X2.

I played around with Migic and it looked promising but there were some issues running it in X3 (at least I think it was X3, it could have been newer). I emailed the developer and never heard back. In the interim a new version of Jam Origin MIDI Guitar showed up. Between those two events, I lost interest in Migic.
    Mesh
    Re: Help sonar 8 2015/09/15 15:06:56 (permalink)
    Make sure the "Input Echo" is ON:

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    Jens-Åke
    Re: Help sonar 8 2015/09/15 17:34:52 (permalink)
    I checked the other thread and did as he instructed, but still i cant get it to work.
    I Added Migic to audio track, opened a softsynth.. when im in the Track properties at softsynth channel and when choosing input or output i cant find Migic there, not if i inserted Migic as a softsynth from "Insert" menu either.
    What do i choose there? "All inputs omni"? Thats what i got now.

When i look at proberties at Audio track, theres only one way to setup right? When i hear my guitar it should be correct, and that is when "Input echo: on"
    And also, when im in Synth rack, right-clicking to choose enable midi out it seems like its all gray and not activated when i try doing it.

I think i need a step by step instruction, Im getting frustrated.
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re: Help sonar 8 2015/09/15 17:52:04 (permalink)
    http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=434699&sid=5b2ac0bcb45b391501367a756b89aa14&start=60

Check out this thread on kvr

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Jens-Åke
    Re: Help sonar 8 2015/09/16 10:14:59 (permalink)
    Been looking at that kvr page before aswell, but didnt find a solution for me.
    I guess i have to learn playing piano after all
    Mesh
    Re: Help sonar 8 2015/09/16 10:51:52 (permalink)
    Jens-Åke
    Been looking at that kvr page before aswell, but didnt find a solution for me.
    I guess i have to learn playing piano after all

Hi Jens,
    No need to give up yet, there's always a solution (even if it's hard to find).
    Not sure if you've tried this yet......the link I'm suggesting is for an Izotope product and it has some good pics on how to configure as a synth (just substitute Migic for Stutter Edit).

http://help.izotope.com/docs/stutteredit/pages/quickstart_cakewalksonar.htm

I know Migic is in Beta right now, but you should really check out Midi Guitar by JamOrigin......we have already gone through the Beta stage of this and many (if not all) of us are very happy with it......now in version 2. The developer is also very open to requests.......most of all, it works extremely well for us non-keyboardists.

http://jamorigin.com/products/midi-guitar/

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    Jens-Åke
    Re: Help sonar 8 2015/09/17 10:29:26 (permalink)
    I´ve been looking at jam origin to, it also looked good but the "problem" is that it costs 99 dollar + 25% TAXES.
    And migic looked promising to and are free, but i can get it to work so it doesnt matter right now.
    I downloaded the free trial of jam origin yester day and i got it working in less then 1 minute.
    Tho i couldnt use it in lower buffer size then 320 (7.3ms) A little delay but not much.
    I had to use ASIO4all to make it work, can that be the problem with migic? In cakewalk i using my soundcard.. havnt had time to try yet.

About the Jam origin, theres a vst in full version right so i can record my midi i play in cakewalk?
    And also, is there any more settings to make it recognize my tones more then noise gate, velocity gain/tone?
    I had problems getting it reading when i example play tripplets on lower E, you know like Iron maiden gallop but in bit faster bpm.. just just hitting 1 tone strings bit faster.
    Mesh
    Re: Help sonar 8 2015/09/17 10:54:25 (permalink)
    Which sound card are you using? If you don't have a dedicated soundcard, I'd recommend getting a fairly decent one to run Sonar and one that has good support for ASIO.

ASIO4all is usually used on laptops that only have onboard soundcards (i.e.Realtek). Have you tried using the WDM drivers? 

Yes, Midi Guitar (MG) has the full VST version and recording/tracking is excellent with it. You'll have to play around with the settings in MG and adjust them to your liking......also, there's a bit of guitar playing technique adjustment that you'll have to do to get the best results. Some synth sounds will need more technique adjustments while other sounds will be a breeze to play. Meaning, your playing technique will have to be cleaner and any sloppy playing can result in some unwanted notes.

Regarding Iron Maiden gallop (one of my fav. bands), are you talking about the song Running Free?  

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    Jens-Åke
    Re: Help sonar 8 2015/09/17 12:17:37 (permalink)
    I have a mbox 3rd gen bought 2 years ago.
    Yepp noticed i had to play as clean as i could but not let the notes ring to long cause they kind of made other tones dissipear behind them.
    I havnt tryed this song yet but i could imagen same will happend as i just said, Metallica - nothing elde matters. The very intro with the open strings. After played it once other notes will dissipear behind low E ringning.

Hehe i had no particular song in mind about iron maiden, just that classical galopp rythm. Kinda same as in Running Free :)
    Mesh
    Re: Help sonar 8 2015/09/17 13:07:32 (permalink)
    I'm not familiar with Avid's products, but briefly looking at their site, it says it "works with ASIO" (as well as WDM)...... http://www.avid.com/us/products/pro-tools-plus-mbox/system-requirements

Have you tried the ASIO drivers that come with mbox? (they should be a whole lot better than ASIO4all). Once you get a good system/hardware performance going, then the software should work as advertised. If not, you'll be chasing all kinds of problems unnecessarily.  

I've had excellent experiences using ASIO with Sonar & Midi Guitar......no issues whatsoever. As I mentioned earlier, the synths you trigger with MG will respond differently (depending on the preset patch), but you can always adjust the parameters in the synth to suit your needs.

I think it's totally worth spending the $99 + taxes in getting this as there really isn't anything in this price range that's as good as what MG does. Like most Beta versions, Migic will likely get a lot of performance issues (software/hardware)  that may/may not get resolved in time. With MG, you won't have to go through many of these early headaches as it simply works....and works very well. :)) 

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Help sonar 8 2015/09/17 13:15:48 (permalink)
    The only concern I have recommending MIDI Guitar is my lack of no experience with running it on Pre-X series SONAR and no recollection of any posts indicating success with old versions of SONAR. Just in case, if I could not test the plug-in in advance of purchase, I would make sure the stand alone version worked using LoopBe1 or LoopMIDI connecting to SONAR.
    Jens-Åke
    Re: Help sonar 8 2015/09/18 10:58:41 (permalink)
    LoopBe1 and LoopMIDI, got them downloaded but actually have no idea how they work.
    I think i created a midi port in one of the programs and found it in outputs in midi track in sonar. Thats all i have done.
    Is there any short easy explaination how to do? :)
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Help sonar 8 2015/09/18 11:08:22 (permalink)
    Set the MIDI output in the stand alone program to one of the virtual MIDI cable inputs.
    Make sure SONAR has the virtual MIDI cable selected as a MIDI input device in preferences.
    After adding a synth to the project in SONAR set the Instrument or MIDI input to the virtual MIDI cable and enable input echo on the track.
    Jens-Åke
    Re: Help sonar 8 2015/09/18 12:44:41 (permalink)
    scook
    Set the MIDI output in the stand alone program to one of the virtual MIDI cable inputs.
    Make sure SONAR has the virtual MIDI cable selected as a MIDI input device in preferences.
    After adding a synth to the project in SONAR set the Instrument or MIDI input to the virtual MIDI cable and enable input echo on the track.

Thank you for this, i actually got it to work and the notes transferred  to sonar!
    The only problem i have is that when i using for example Midi Guitar, i hear the sound from that program but when trying to listen what i recorded in sonar, theres no sound.
    same if i go on youtube when have a projekt open, i cant hear the sound in youtube without turning the audio engine off in sonar.
    So now i can record the midi, but cant do it to any click, or hearing other tracks.. Think the soundcard is busy with one program in the time and cant do two, any idea why?

But if this works with the loopmidi, does that mean the vst will work or i got you wrong?
    Thanks again for all answers!
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Help sonar 8 2015/09/18 12:59:30 (permalink)
    You do not want to a have anything generating audio other than SONAR. Make sure SONAR is not sharing the audio driver. You also want to have the MIDI track in SONAR pointing to some synth so it can be heard, just like if you were recording using any other MIDI controller.

Connected the stand alone version has nothing to do with the plug-in. It is a fallback plan if you cannot get the plug-in to work. I noticed on the Jam Origin site, in the section about setting up SONAR they mention SONAR 7. If someone got it to work with SONAR 7 then it should also work in SONAR 8.
    Mesh
    Re: Help sonar 8 2015/09/18 13:22:05 (permalink)
    scook
    You do not want to a have anything generating audio other than SONAR. Make sure SONAR is not sharing the audio driver.

Although I've seen a lot of people on the forums stating to avoid "sharing the audio driver", Sonar's documentation says it's ok to share when Sonar is NOT the focus of Windows.
    https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR%20X3&language=3&help=Dialogs2.053.html

I don't have that box "ticked", but always wondered about this.

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Help sonar 8 2015/09/18 14:14:48 (permalink)
    When sharing is selected and SONAR loses focus, SONAR stops making sound. Personally, when SONAR is playing, I do not want it to stop making sound just because the application does not have focus. I don't want that to happen with any application and there are cases when I have more than one app making sound at a time.
    Jens-Åke
    Re: Help sonar 8 2015/09/18 14:33:42 (permalink)
    I tryied to select and unchecked it again but i did loose the sound from sonar and didnt get it back until i shut down MidiGuitar.
    when i later start midiguitar again i have sound from both MG and sonar until i try record, after that i loose it and cant get it back untill i close MG.
    Jens-Åke
    Re: Help sonar 8 2015/09/21 14:59:15 (permalink)
    Update:
    I got it all to work better now, i installed latest drives for my m-box and then my problem disappeared i couldnt hear sonar and midi guitar at same time.
    Also i got little better response from midi guitar and could go down to 128.. sometimes it works sometimes not.. dont know why.
    Been testing record but im not really happy with the results, always some notes missing or to short, long.. theres alot to edit afterwards and the idea of making this simple recording midi dont feel like its easy good way anymore, atleast not what i hoped for.I understand there is some difference between the trial and full product but will those differences do anything to improve getting the notes in right place or is that just up to me to learn play with it better maybe, i dont know.

Thanks again for all help!

Mesh
    Re: Help sonar 8 2015/09/21 15:21:53 (permalink)
    Good to hear it's working out Jens.

It does take some (slight) adjustment to your technique and since pitch bends are not available (yet), it won't feel quite like when plugging a guitar straight into an amp. There'll always be some loss of "emotional expressiveness" that we're used to when playing the real guitar......hopefully, MG will someday evolve into something very close.

For best results, you'll just have to tweak the settings in MG to your liking AND also adapt to the sounds of the synth when playing.
    I actually recorded a little "synth" solo last night with it and it tracked very well.....playing cleanly will definitely improve in not getting odd notes/odd responses.   

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1