Hi ____ do you save your TTS-1 User Normal settings?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2007/12/10 14:12:54 (permalink)

Hi ____ do you save your TTS-1 User Normal settings?

I'm feeling like this may be a niave question.

This morning I tweaked a organ tone on a song I'm working on. I saved the project and when I open the project and launch at the TTS-1 console I see this:

But, as soon as I press play the settings on my TTS-1 organ patch goes straight back to the default:

am I missing something really simple?

thanks,
mike
post edited by mike_mccue - 2007/12/10 17:57:51

37 Replies Related Threads

bmdaustin
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1114
    RE: TTS-1 save user settings? 2007/12/10 14:24:49 (permalink)
    You might try saving your organ patch as a distinct patch and change your sequence file to point to the new patch. I'm guessing it's still pointed to the default organ patch and that's why you're losing your custom settings.

Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    http://www.bakersjazzandmore.com
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: TTS-1 save user settings? 2007/12/10 15:59:59 (permalink)
    So,
    Does anyone know how long this nasty bug has been left unattended too?

first off, thanks for the tips guys.

So I saved my user patch:

And you can see it was added to the User Normal Patch list:

Then I save and close the project.

Then I open the project... and my user patch is gone:

As you can see it has disapeared from the list:

The real problem seems to be that if you hit play or go searching for your missing patch you WILL LOSE ALL THE PRESET DATA FOR THAT PATCH which really sucks... big time.

So what you have to do is immediately after you open the project... as in, BEFORE YOU HIT PLAY you need to switch your patch selection to "none". Does anyone know why this is?

In the past I'd noticed squirrely behavior with TTS-1 patch selections.

I haven't fully explored the ramifications of this buggish behaviour. For example; what happens if you have 2 or more custom patches? Do you set them all to "none"? Another Example; what happens if you mistakenly assign the same TTS-1 channel to another track? I think that anhilates the user preset and you are screwed... I haven't tried to screw myself yet... but a quick test suggests that this is the case.

Are we all just SONAR beta testers these days? I keep trying to make music and find myself spending more and more time learning work arounds than I think should be neccesary.

Any comments or suggestions? I'd welcome them.

best regards,
    mike

vespesian
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 517
    RE: TTS-1 save user settings? 2007/12/10 16:21:51 (permalink)
    With TTS, I use a 'program change' event insertion - not from the track strip - and even if it's the first/only patch for a given track. I do this via the event list. Then everything works fine.

You're in an amazing state.

So stay there.

robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: TTS-1 save user settings? 2007/12/10 16:34:57 (permalink)
    So Mike, you're having a problem with your soft organ?
    Bob Damiano [Cakewalk]
    Test Me
    • Total Posts : 693
    RE: TTS-1 save user settings? 2007/12/10 16:49:02 (permalink)
    So what you have to do is immediately after you open the project... as in, BEFORE YOU HIT PLAY you need to switch your patch selection to "none".

I was about to reply with this but I see you figured it out. It's a known issue with TTS-1 (in fact I think I logged it myself).

Engineering,
    Cakewalk Music Software

LyricInspire.ORG - get your brain un-stuck and write better lyrics

Personal Site
    Music, Programming, Studio and SONAR Tutorials
    "These bits go to 2"
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: TTS-1 save user settings? 2007/12/10 19:29:05 (permalink)
    >vespian: thanks for the suggestion,

"With TTS, I use a 'program change' event insertion - not from the track strip - and even if it's the first/only patch for a given track. I do this via the event list. Then everything works fine. "

but I just tried this and when I saved, closed, and re-opened the project the patch was REVERTED BACK to Piano 1

I do appreciate the idea and suggestion.

>ronniebuss2: thanks for a good suggestion for a workaround. I fear that when I archive projects I will really regret using this method. But I'll try it for now.

>Bob: you're a gentleman... thanks for the candor. I hope you remind the guys about this the next time you're all at the water cooler. Can you have multiple instances of "none" and keep a project happy?

It really would be nice to know if Cakewalk has intention of fixing and tweaking these types of issues or if they intend to just continue inventing new features and bundling other not quite right add-ons hoping we'll outgrow the old ones.

best regards,
    mike

post edited by mike_mccue - 2007/12/10 19:43:00
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: TTS-1 save user settings? 2007/12/10 19:39:51 (permalink)
    OK everyone... :-)

do your part.

CWBRN-642

The Maillard Reaction
    RE: TTS-1 save user settings? 2007/12/11 11:49:47 (permalink)
    I checked this morning.

If you go through the routine descibed above each time you make a User patch and set the patch to "none" you may have multiple instances of "none" which are somehow saved within the project with the custom parameter settings that you saved. You just can't use them anywhere else.

So you cannot effectively build or utilize a useful User Normal bank unless you save them custom as decribed by ronnie.
    lightninrick
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 972
    RE: TTS-1 save user settings? 2007/12/11 12:05:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ronniebuss2

I also had this problem. I would tweak a sound, save it in a user slot and set up the track to choose that sound. When I would open the file and press play the sound would revert back to the original sound. I called CW and they told me to eliminate the track patch choice. Huh??? They told me to choose none as the patch. Sure enough that worked. I still don't understand that. Any one else out there have a guess as to why this is?
    Ron

Yeah, the reason is that when you tell Cakewalk to have a plugin bring up a factory preset patch, it brings up the original patch as defined by the factory, not your modified version, unless you have replaced the factory version with your version (which I'm not even sure you can do--I think your own saved presets are stored separately from the factory banks as a rule). If you don't tell it to bring up a certain patch, it will default to whatever was set up in your plugin at the time you most recently saved the project.

One useful procedure is to create your patch and save it with a descriptive name (e.g. Song 1 v3 organ v2), then set the MIDI track patch name to "none." Your plugin setup will default to your modified patch, and you can re-use the modified patch on another song if you like.

regards, lightninrick
    dappa1
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2949
    RE: TTS-1 save user settings? 2007/12/27 11:28:01 (permalink)
    This is really bad! I am beginning to reconsider my options!
    AdamFH
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 930
    RE: TTS-1 save user settings? 2007/12/27 12:04:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ronniebuss2

I also had this problem. I would tweak a sound, save it in a user slot and set up the track to choose that sound. When I would open the file and press play the sound would revert back to the original sound. I called CW and they told me to eliminate the track patch choice. Huh??? They told me to choose none as the patch. Sure enough that worked. I still don't understand that. Any one else out there have a guess as to why this is?
    Ron

It's hard for me to setup a track with that patch. For some odd reason the TTS-1 uses numbers for patches, instead of words.
    sanfords
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: TTS-1 save user settings? 2008/01/01 16:16:58 (permalink)
    Setting the channel to none means "don't override the event channel numbers defined in the midi events".
    I noticed after pasting in a riff from the Studio Instruments drum kit that the last note sounded like a piano instead of the symbol crash I expected.
    Upon investigation I found that if I selected channel 10 for the track instead of none, it fixed the problem.
    Sure enough, in the midi events for the track there was the last note and a few others randomly using channel 1 instead of 10.
    Fixing the midi events to use channel 10 and resetting the track to prefer "none" kept the fix.

I suspect that when you open your project the TTS-1 gets loaded with factory presets then loads your preset to set up the patch/channel maps but doesn't load the sysx data needed to initialize any custom patch changes you made.

In the old days, what I did for every custom patch I made on my Korg M1 was to save the patch's sysx data and add it to my project and have the project automatically upload the sysx data to my M1 when the song loaded. This is likely what you have to do to overcome this for the TTS-1 - but I haven't tried it yet. I'm not even sure how I store sysx data for the TTS-1 patches.
    post edited by sanfords - 2008/01/01 16:32:29

Sandy :-|
    sanfords
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: TTS-1 save user settings? 2008/01/01 16:39:19 (permalink)
    Ok, upon further investigation this is just a sick bug.
    Just try this:
    edit channel 1 and turn on portamento and set the delay up high and listen to the preview of the sound - I hear and see the portamento is on.
    do the same for channel 2 - I hear and see the portamento is now on for both channels
    save you settings to a preset
    Inspect the portamento switch on both channels - portamento is back off on both channels.

The simple act of saving your preset is loosing information and resetting the controls. This is just fundamentally screwed up.
    Its the 80/20 rule again.
    post edited by sanfords - 2008/01/01 16:54:28

Sandy :-|
    OldNick
    • Total Posts : 1149
    RE: TTS-1 save user settings? 2008/01/01 17:06:46 (permalink)
    Put some deep chorus on to a part. Close the project (or even just TTS-1?) and then reopen. The chorus is still there but is "Static"....the Delay is the same but the Speed has set itself to absolute zero. Nudging the speed knob sets it going again.

Nick

Nick
    Aced : Zither Mush (I no longer have ANY idea what this means)
    Ancient Seeker of Artifacts
    Platinum 23.4.0, Win 7 64 bit
    OldNick
    RE: TTS-1 save user settings? 2008/01/01 17:30:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Bob Damiano [Cakewalk]

So what you have to do is immediately after you open the project... as in, BEFORE YOU HIT PLAY you need to switch your patch selection to "none".

I was about to reply with this but I see you figured it out. It's a known issue with TTS-1 (in fact I think I logged it myself).

I have found that the trouble with this idea is that you then do not get the correct Piano Roll Drum Names. You can assign then, but then every time you close and reopen the PRV you have to do it again (another bug).

The way I worked out (with help) was to save a Bank in TTS-1, and then, again before you hit play, Load that bank (I am pretty sure you need to do one for Drums and one for Normal), and then you will be actually able to choose the correct Names instead of Standard Piano or Standard Set. The upshot is that you then get correct drum names in PRV.

Nick

Nick
    Kevinlane
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: TTS-1 save user settings? 2008/01/02 00:04:27 (permalink)
    Guys, just save the edited patch to a User bank.

left click on the name of the patch in it's editing window (the one you clcked the square above the track of TTs-1)

choose save bank. I use one of the user banks

Pick which slot you wish edited patch to be in (after saving, the name should show up in the slot of the user bank you picked)

Now you can specify which bank (again a user bank that you chose) and the patch number in the Midi track's settings. It will now "stick"

You can build you a couple of default banks of some patches that you will use somewhat regularly.

post edited by Kevinlane - 2008/01/02 00:55:15
    Kevinlane
    RE: TTS-1 save user settings? 2008/01/02 00:34:51 (permalink)
    Hmn, this now, after I shot my mouth off, is not working for me now in ver7
    *I have used it before in ver 6

somewhere I believe there is a setting that will disalow the resetting of patches upon hitting Play

will have to dig for that
    Kevinlane
    RE: TTS-1 save user settings? 2008/01/02 00:40:34 (permalink)
    OK, got it going, it entails needing to LOAD the user bank when you startup the program/project again

OldNick
    RE: TTS-1 save user settings? 2008/01/02 01:08:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Kevinlane

OK, got it going, it entails needing to LOAD the user bank when you startup the program/project again

i don't often say this but i jus sed all that....

Nick

Nick
    bassman99
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: TTS-1 save user settings? 2008/03/08 21:14:16 (permalink)
    So...
    ...any word on fixing the bug with TTS-1 where you can't reliably save changes?

I'm new to Sonar, but I can't imagine that something this incredibly basic doesn't work.
    ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    RE: TTS-1 save user settings? 2008/03/08 21:27:29 (permalink)
    Just my opinion, Mike, but I'd lose the TTS-1. Yeah, it's got some nice stuff for some things, but there are other options that work better (and sound better, imho).

ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

I checked this morning.

If you go through the routine descibed above each time you make a User patch and set the patch to "none" you may have multiple instances of "none" which are somehow saved within the project with the custom parameter settings that you saved. You just can't use them anywhere else.

So you cannot effectively build or utilize a useful User Normal bank unless you save them custom as decribed by ronnie.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    dappa1
    RE: TTS-1 save user settings? 2008/03/09 03:33:56 (permalink)
    Cakewalks only solution is for you to do the beta work arounds. Not what I need, this is a known issue in sonar home 6/6xl sonar 6/sonar7 and although logged with Cakewalk as basic as this is to fix they have not come up with a solution. Is this supposed to be some sucker punch. If I were cakewalk I would want to deal with this embarrassing situation as quick as possible. I mean coe on set it to NONE. Pro application not acceptable at all. I cannot have the stiff upper lip with this one.
    Desperate Dan
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1554
    RE: TTS-1 save user settings? 2008/03/09 05:01:04 (permalink)
    Cakewalks only solution is for you to do the beta work arounds. Not what I need, this is a known issue in sonar home 6/6xl sonar 6/sonar7 and although logged with Cakewalk as basic as this is to fix they have not come up with a solution. Is this supposed to be some sucker punch. If I were cakewalk I would want to deal with this embarrassing situation as quick as possible. I mean coe on set it to NONE. Pro application not acceptable at all. I cannot have the stiff upper lip with this one.

This Problem with TTS-1 Synth has been around since Sonar 5 circa 2005, it is now 2008 and it's still Buggy yet Cakewalk bring out Features like CD Burning and Publishing - I mean How many Pro users actually asked for that ?, in it's current format it's a feature for Home Users, Wavelab and DVD Architect are professional CD Publishing programs. Sonar relies on the Imapi Windows Drivers which are Basic to say the least Unlike Wavelab and DVD Arcitect that use dedicated drivers.

We keep getting a new Version every year, Yet we have a Buggy Playlist, Buggy Metronome, Buggy Interpolate, Buggy TTS-1, 3rd rate scoring facilities and much much more. These are things that should have been addressed long before all the new Gimmicky features that Pro's don't use were stuck in. It seems like they are trying to impress the Wrong Market with some of these Gimmicky features. The Products name is Sonar Producer edition these Gimmicks should have been put into Sonar Home Studio. Cakewalks image in a lot of Professional Studios that I deal with is that of a good Product that still has a long way to go to the Big league. I think Cakewalk will struggle to get close to a 100% Professional Image while they continue letting the Basics problems and inadequacies of Sonar Slide through the Cracks. Don't get me wrong I love Sonar and Cakewalk but I also have to sell the products and come up against a lot of Embarassing arguments that should have been fixed long ago and never seem to get done. Maybe with Rolands influence in the Months to come we'll get some serious Bug fixing done or maybe not

Windows 7 Professional  64 bit - Intel Q-9550 2.83 CPU, 8Gb DDR800, Gigabyte EP35-DS3R, M-Audio Delta 44, Yamaha HS-80M Monitors, UAD-1 Ultra Pack

I'm reading a book about anti-gravity at the moment and I just can't put it down
    dappa1
    RE: TTS-1 save user settings? 2008/03/09 05:34:35 (permalink)
    the battle was lost all for a horse shoe nail!!!
    bassman99
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: TTS-1 save user settings? 2008/03/09 11:56:36 (permalink)
    So...
    ...if TTS-1 is that defective, do other soft-synths (Dimension LE, for one), suffer from bugs that don't allow saving changes to patches to work correctly?

Note: I'm new to Sonar, so TTS-1 is the only soft-synth I've been able to figure-out thus-far.
    OldNick
    RE: TTS-1 save user settings? 2008/03/09 22:24:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bassman99

So...
    ...if TTS-1 is that defective, do other soft-synths (Dimension LE, for one), suffer from bugs that don't allow saving changes to patches to work correctly?

Note: I'm new to Sonar, so TTS-1 is the only soft-synth I've been able to figure-out thus-far.

Nothing like it AFAIK. Dimension _Pro_ does not allow certain things that would be nice, but that';s by design.

The good thing about TTS-1 is that it's a simple, polyphonic, 16 MIDI channel instrument with a heap pf patches.. It does not have replaceable sounds, but makes excellent background support for little effort and little resource use......in theory.

The FX are very basic, and also have some trouble with being remembered.

So if I use it (and I don't much now) I use only set sounds, with no FX, and apply FX later.

Nick

Nick
    steelgtr
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 146
    RE: TTS-1 save user settings? 2008/03/16 17:20:03 (permalink)
    mike
    I can't even get as far as saving it. I can never check user normal in the patch editing box. Please explain how you do that. I edit, hit write and only a bunch of piano patches come up and if I choose one, it replaces my edited patch!

bob

ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

So,
    Does anyone know how long this nasty bug has been left unattended too?

first off, thanks for the tips guys.

So I saved my user patch:

And you can see it was added to the User Normal Patch list:

Then I save and close the project.

Then I open the project... and my user patch is gone:

As you can see it has disapeared from the list:

The real problem seems to be that if you hit play or go searching for your missing patch you WILL LOSE ALL THE PRESET DATA FOR THAT PATCH which really sucks... big time.

So what you have to do is immediately after you open the project... as in, BEFORE YOU HIT PLAY you need to switch your patch selection to "none". Does anyone know why this is?

In the past I'd noticed squirrely behavior with TTS-1 patch selections.

I haven't fully explored the ramifications of this buggish behaviour. For example; what happens if you have 2 or more custom patches? Do you set them all to "none"? Another Example; what happens if you mistakenly assign the same TTS-1 channel to another track? I think that anhilates the user preset and you are screwed... I haven't tried to screw myself yet... but a quick test suggests that this is the case.

Are we all just SONAR beta testers these days? I keep trying to make music and find myself spending more and more time learning work arounds than I think should be neccesary.

Any comments or suggestions? I'd welcome them.

best regards,
    mike

ftbond
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: RE: TTS-1 save user settings? 2017/03/14 22:16:25 (permalink)
    Using TTS-1, Sonar 7 Producer Edition

I can't save edited patches in "User Normal" banks, nor can I save and/or load the "User Normal" banks.

Here's my steps:
    1. create midi track, assign MIDI channel 1
    2.  open Track Properties, choose TTS-1 as Output, and click OK
    3.  click on midi icon in track to open TTS-1
    4.  click on instrument name for this track, and choose Preset/guitar/Steel-Str Guitar
    5.  after choosing the Guitar, click on the Edit button and make edits to Guitar
    6. click on Write in the Edit window. 
    7. choose User Normal 1, and assign the edited Guitar patch to the proper number.
    8. Save Bank as User Normal 1.
    9. close the Edit window, and the TTS-1 window, and Save the project. 
    10.  close both the project and Sonar.
    11.  open Sonar, open the project
    12. create a NEW midi track,  assign the TTS-1 as the softsynth.
    13.  assign the new midi track a different channel than for the track in Steps 1 - 6.
    14.  double-click on the midi icon on the NEW track to open TTS-1.
    15.  click on the Instrument Name this NEW track to open pull-down of Banks
    16.  move the mouse to User Normal 1
    17.  User Normal 1 instruments show in "pop-up"
    18.  My previously saved Guitar is NOT in the pop-up list.
    19.  Click on Edit button for this NEW track
    20.  Click on Instrument Name to produce pull-down of Banks
    21.  Choose Load Bank, and load my User Normal 1 "gmn" file
    22.  Click on Instrument Name again to produce Bank pull-down
    23.  Move mouse to User Normal 1 to produce pull-down of instruments
    24.  My previously-edited Guitar patch is NOT in the list.

So, what's up with this?   How can I actually SAVE my edited Presets as "User Normal", and save the User Normal Bank?
    OldNick
    Re: RE: TTS-1 save user settings? 2017/03/14 23:14:06 (permalink)
    I am sorry, but TTS-1 is moribund. ....defunct. These messages are 10 years old and nothing has been done. It's a shame that a good workhorse is broken and neglected, but move on, I'm afraid.

Nick
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1