Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
No How
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5180
2007/01/31 08:40:32 (permalink)

Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks

Hello,
I've been trying to get rid of the white noise (is that what you call it?) from my vocal tracks and it stays unless i completely nix the high end. That seems impractical.
Is there a toy i can download (i have digitalfishphones stuff) that can lesson the hiss on the vocal tracks.
The vocals themselves are not too hissy just the background noise.
Thank you.

42 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks 2007/01/31 10:20:32 (permalink)
    first of all, it's best to get rid of noise BEFORE you record instead of after. there will always be artifacts or you won't be able to remove all of the noise, etc once it has been recorded. you should be recording at 24bit, 44.1kHz (or 48kHz if your sound card needs that setting). If you're recording at 16bit, then your noise floor and resoultion are working against you.

secondly, your signal path is important to avoid recording the noise. you need to have a good mic with a low noise floor, some good balanced cables (not cheap cables, they will introduce noise - also - not UNBALANCED cables - they will also introduce noise), a good, clean preamp with a low noise floor and a good SNR, and a good sound card with BALANCED inputs and high SNR.

If you don't have the equipment to get rid of the noise, and you can't afford to get that equipment yet, you have to make do with what you have.
    You can use the GATE/COMPRESSOR that comes with MC to help you raise the track's recording to allow only levels above your noise floor to be used in playback. Just set the GATE to a fairly high setting until your noise or most of it goes away. this, will cause you to loose some of your dynamic range in your recording as well, but again, you make do with what you have.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    No How
    RE: Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks 2007/01/31 13:05:21 (permalink)
    Hi Beag,
    The only thing i'm missing on your list is the Gate Compressor.
    It looks like i'm okay with the rest.
    I will insert it in the audio effects pane and hope to salvage some recordings.
    thanks a bunch,
    rick
    Beagle
    RE: Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks 2007/01/31 15:02:18 (permalink)
    you really shouldn't be getting much noise if you have all the gear hooked up like I mentioned, tho. tell us about your signal path (the hardware).

No How
    RE: Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks 2007/01/31 15:30:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Beagle

you really shouldn't be getting much noise if you have all the gear hooked up like I mentioned, tho. tell us about your signal path (the hardware).

I have a MXL 990 condensor mic into an ART Preamp into an E-MU 0404 sound card.
    I use the cakewalk delay(mono) and the ambient soft reverb and the classic eq on all vox. There is tremendous hiss coming from something in this path.
    I also add an effects 'send' to the vocal tracks because it makes them louder so i can hear better what i'm singing.(i'm old and deaf!)

What do you think it could be?
    post edited by No How - 2007/01/31 15:51:35
    Beagle
    RE: Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks 2007/01/31 18:47:09 (permalink)
    does the hiss occur on the DRY track? (no plugins)

RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks 2007/01/31 22:13:28 (permalink)
    Rick,
    I'm inclined to suspect cables. Even though your E-MU has unbalanced inputs, it should be very quiet.
    Also, listen to your room. I discovered that my room basically sucks, and the mic was picking up all kinds of background noise that I didn't consciously hear.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    shredheadinstead
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 478
    RE: Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks 2007/02/01 02:34:48 (permalink)
    This might sound crazy and off the subject, but Sony's Soundforge 8.0 has FX Plugins specifically designed for these types of occurances. With Hiss/Noise Reduction, Click.Crackle Removel, Smooth Enhance, the list goes on. Many websites carry this for an inexpensive price. It works wonders on anything I tend to mic, like amps, etc. Just an idea.
    Beagle
    RE: Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks 2007/02/01 07:05:36 (permalink)
    It's not really off - subject, but he shouldn't be getting that much noise with the signal path he has. something is amiss.

Rick, another thing that will help us is: insert a new audio track and set it for the mic's input path and arm the track. turn on your pre and then without making any noise yourself, look at the meters and turn on the PEAK if you haven't already done so and what is the PEAK input of the mic without any other sound being input?

No How
    RE: Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks 2007/02/01 07:52:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RobertB

Rick,
    I'm inclined to suspect cables. Even though your E-MU has unbalanced inputs, it should be very quiet.
    Also, listen to your room. I discovered that my room basically sucks, and the mic was picking up all kinds of background noise that I didn't consciously hear.

Hey Robert,
    The only cables i have are the ones from the mic to the pre amp and it looks decent as it came with the mic and the rca line from pre to the sound card and that is a Y adapter into rca into sound card.
    The room is terrible but how could it make hiss?
    post edited by No How - 2007/02/01 08:16:00
    No How
    RE: Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks 2007/02/01 07:55:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Beagle

It's not really off - subject, but he shouldn't be getting that much noise with the signal path he has. something is amiss.

Rick, another thing that will help us is: insert a new audio track and set it for the mic's input path and arm the track. turn on your pre and then without making any noise yourself, look at the meters and turn on the PEAK if you haven't already done so and what is the PEAK input of the mic without any other sound being input?

Beag, the meters on patchmix are definately registering sound before i make any. It's all hiss and noise.
    I haven't listend without effects yet but i suspect they are not to blame. I will check tonight.
    Beagle
    RE: Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks 2007/02/01 08:12:55 (permalink)
    remind me again, too, which model ART pre you have and what do you have for the settings on it?

No How
    RE: Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks 2007/02/01 08:56:51 (permalink)
    hey Beag,

It's the: "Art tube mp Project series".
    I have the phantom button pressed and the volume to 12:00. That's it.
    Should i have the limiter pressed also?

Also: I tried the GATE/COMPRESSOR you recommended. It got rid of some vocal "Puhs" from singing words with "P" in them but not the hiss.
    No How
    RE: Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks 2007/02/01 08:59:24 (permalink)
    ps. Is there anything in the digitalfishphones that is of use here?
    I don't know how to use those tools. (FLOORFISH, SPITFISH and one more...)
    Beagle
    RE: Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks 2007/02/01 09:20:20 (permalink)
    rick, you can try those things, but if it were me, I'd be more concerned with eliminating the noise before it gets into the track. It really is important to keep the noise out of the system from the beginning if you can.

with the equipment you have, there is no reason you should be getting a high noise floor.

ART's website doesn't have the manual for your pre right now (broken link), but it has the spec sheet, and I can make some guesses from that as to how you need to have it set.

The +20dB switch should be ON since you're using a MICROPHONE thru the pre.
    The impedance switch should be set to LOW.
    The spec sheet doesn't say exactly what the filter is for, so I don't know how to set that one, but you can try both ways and see what works.
    phantom power should be ON
    LIMIT, again, I only have a spec sheet, not the manual, so I'm not sure, but I would guess this is similar to the OPL of my ART TPS II. If it is, then it won't matter if it's off or on, neither setting should cause your noise floor to be high.
    Phase should be set to NORMAL

Your input gain controls the amount of tube response you get (if your pre is like mine) and the output gain controls the amount of signal being sent to the sound card.

you need to adjust those two controls so that you are not getting noise in your EMU Patchmix panel AND so that you are not clipping the signal when you start singing. these have to be adjusted for EACH USE. You'll hear folks talk about a "LEVEL CHECK" - that's what they're doing. Making sure that the input and output levels are set for the singer/instrument being performed for that particular set/song. for recording, you need to adjust it for each session you do.

RobertB
    RE: Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks 2007/02/01 10:14:01 (permalink)
    I think Beagle is leaning more in the right direction, but as for hiss in the room, listen for fan noise from the computer. This was my biggest problem. Not motor noise, but the sound of the air passing through the fans. It sounds like white noise, and the frequencies are just right to dance merrily around an average size room. A sensitive mic will pick it up, no problem.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    No How
    RE: Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks 2007/02/01 10:29:37 (permalink)
    The +20dB switch should be ON since you're using a MICROPHONE thru the pre.
    The impedance switch should be set to LOW.
    The spec sheet doesn't say exactly what the filter is for, so I don't know how to set that one, but you can try both ways and see what works.
    phantom power should be ON
    LIMIT, again, I only have a spec sheet, not the manual, so I'm not sure, but I would guess this is similar to the OPL of my ART TPS II. If it is, then it won't matter if it's off or on, neither setting should cause your noise floor to be high.
    Phase should be set to NORMAL

I'll check the +20dB and the Impedance but the rest is already there.
    you need to adjust those two controls so that you are not getting noise in your EMU Patchmix panel AND so that you are not clipping the signal when you start singing. these have to be adjusted for EACH USE. You'll hear folks talk about a "LEVEL CHECK" - that's what they're doing. Making sure that the input and output levels are set for the singer/instrument being performed for that particular set/song. for recording, you need to adjust it for each session you do.

I keep the 'gain' on the art tube off. How/where do i check for input controls? I make sure the patchmix is not in the red when i sing but that's about it.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    No How
    RE: Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks 2007/02/01 10:30:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RobertB

I think Beagle is leaning more in the right direction, but as for hiss in the room, listen for fan noise from the computer. This was my biggest problem. Not motor noise, but the sound of the air passing through the fans. It sounds like white noise, and the frequencies are just right to dance merrily around an average size room. A sensitive mic will pick it up, no problem.

I will check for this tonight.
    gracias

s o n g s

No How
    RE: Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks 2007/02/01 22:06:14 (permalink)
    Okay. The song is already recorded. There are no mics plugged in. The preamp is off and still there is a constant hisss coming from the project- it's not even playing!!!!! the hiss is just there.
    what is it?

s o n g s

No How
    RE: Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks 2007/02/01 22:09:50 (permalink)
    It is reading on the patchmix meter about a quarter of the way up the level! It is called 'pink' noise.
    It won't stop.

s o n g s

Beagle
    RE: Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks 2007/02/01 22:20:32 (permalink)
    what about if you disconnect the preamp completely? you could have a ground loop problem.

No How
    RE: Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks 2007/02/01 22:32:19 (permalink)
    It isn't plugged in. It doesn't hisss like this in other projects. For some reason i think it has to do with the 'classic EQ' in the effects bin. Could this do it? When i shut it off the hiss goes down a bit but doesn't disappear.

s o n g s

Beagle
    RE: Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks 2007/02/01 22:51:39 (permalink)
    but you said that the noise is evident in your patchmix panel - your plugins can't affect your input to the sound card. now if your noise is not in the patchmix, but it IS in MC, then your plugins CAN and WILL cause noise on your tracks. that's why I asked you earlier to remove all plugins from your tracks and see if the noise went away.

No How
    RE: Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks 2007/02/01 22:56:48 (permalink)
    Beag,
    Forgive me. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed.
    I did turn off all the plug ins and the hiss went down 90%.

I can't live without plug-ins--- can I?

s o n g s

RobertB
    RE: Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks 2007/02/01 23:25:53 (permalink)
    Well, you guys have been busy.
    Rick, I just tried to duplicate your scenario as much as possible, but got no appreciable hiss. I maxed everything out at 12db. What other plug-ins were you using?
    For future reference.
    Let the meters in Patchmix work for you. If the meters in the input strips show activity, the noise is coming from something before it gets into the computer. If these are quiet, but the Main Mix meter shows activity, the noise is coming from something inside the computer, be it software(plug-ins) or hardware.
    Some plug-ins are noisier than others, and you may be able to pin down the culprit by bringing them in one at a time.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    No How
    RE: Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks 2007/02/01 23:36:24 (permalink)
    It looks to me like the 'classic EQ' is the noisy one...Now i'm trying to put some elec guitar in and it is blaring loud in the record mode but almost inaudible in playback. Noise everywhere.

s o n g s

RobertB
    RE: Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks 2007/02/01 23:43:25 (permalink)
    When you are recording, how does the audio track meter look? Where is it peaking?

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    No How
    RE: Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks 2007/02/01 23:46:35 (permalink)
    Not very high.
    I just shut off all plug ins and i can hear no hiss at all but it is still showing on a strip in patchmix.
    I must be from the ART Tube preamp.

s o n g s

No How
    RE: Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks 2007/02/01 23:51:44 (permalink)
    I unplugged the preamp and it went down some more but still there is disturbance showing in patchmix.

s o n g s

RobertB
    RE: Hisssssssssssing on vox tracks 2007/02/01 23:57:28 (permalink)
    This is a shot in the dark, but sometimes software just wigs out.
    Take a good look at how you have the sends, meters, etc., set up in Patchmix. Start a new Session. You will have to put the meters and sends back in. I don't know if that will help, but I have lost audio in the past(different symptom, I know) and this got it settled down.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1