How do I get a bass appropriate for dubstep

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
czyky
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 193
Re:How do I get a bass appropriate for dubstep 2010/06/02 21:59:22 (permalink)
All ideas posted so far for enhancing your tracks are, er, sound. Suggestion, try just putting some slight reverb on your master buss. Or some other effect. See how it helps, or doesn't. Maybe a bit of a short reverb, a long one, I don't know--it's your work! Just try some things on the main out buss. (If you're not routing everything to a master buss, then add a buss and route all the tracks to it. Easy, and a good practice work out.) Just try some stuff. If you are uncomfortable with routing to busses and such, well, you shouldn't be. They are your friends and are great ways to add all sorts of effects, (good or bad, you decide). You've got the keyboard/midi chops, you've got plenty of ideas judging from what you've done so far, now work on becoming a Sonar ninja.

Here's another idea. I posted a complete Sonar project to a published work, you can read about it here. It's not exactly like your work (good thing, we'd get into a fight over rights!), but not exactly unlike it either--lots of synths, etc. I use a fair amount of effects and EQ. Maybe you can get some ideas from looking into that project--that's what it's posted for.

"I can't think of a single example of where a big company buying a small company has ultimately been good for consumers." --bitflipper
www.reverbnation.com/markadamczyk
www.adamczyk.com
planetearth
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 763
Re:How do I get a bass appropriate for dubstep 2010/06/05 22:03:25 (permalink)
Maybe you can get some ideas from looking into that project--that's what it's posted for.

An excellent idea. I'm going to try it myself.

SONAR Platinum ▪ NI Komplete, Korg DLC, Arturia V5 Collection, Dimension Pro, IK Multimedia & other synths ▪ Les Paul, Peavey and Yamaha guitars. Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife . Comments from other SONAR users are always welcome!
Keyborg
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 26
Re:How do I get a bass appropriate for dubstep 2010/06/09 03:30:02 (permalink)
People on this other forum are still bashing dimension, wow.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1048143&songID=9255625

this is the song I posted there(edited but no so much different

I tried utilizing reverb, delay, compression, and eq

They tell me to get ableton live because the onboard instruments are way better
post edited by Keyborg - 2010/06/09 17:03:37
SmokeyJ628
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 809
Re:How do I get a bass appropriate for dubstep 2010/06/09 09:02:36 (permalink)
Keyborg

People on this other forum are still bashing dimension, wow.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1048143&songID=9253181

this is the song I posted there

I tried utilizing reverb, delay, compression, and eq

They tell me to get ableton live because the onboard instruments are way better
They are....let me put this gently...idiots.

People can **and do** make professional recordings with just Dim Pro or the other Sonar instruments.  It's a trap to think that we need to buy something else to make our music better when 99% of the time we (all) need to better learn the tools we have.

I enjoyed listening to your songs, but (like most of us) you need to understand production (mixing, etc.)  better in order to get a "professional sound."  And learning that is not easy and not nearly as fun as buying some new stuff.  However, if you don't work on that and buy something new, you'll probably just be in the same boat but a couple of hundred dollars poorer.  I...like many on these boards...have learned this the hard way.

My $0.02 at least.

Besides Live 8 has been a bit of a disaster for many users....save yourself from the grief.

EDIT:  I thought the song you linked above was a step up in quality from the song you posted earlier in the thread.  So, you're moving in the right direction.
post edited by SmokeyJ628 - 2010/06/09 09:05:35
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re:How do I get a bass appropriate for dubstep 2010/06/09 12:16:53 (permalink)
Yea, buying new toys is exciting and gets one "in the mood" (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) but is a sugar high.  I stopped collecting software toys and can't afford the hardware ones I'd like.  I'm still trying to learn how to use Alchemy.  And DimPro is an excellent rompler w/ a nice soundset and enough control.  It doesn't sound all that analog, but if you can't get a good sound out of it a new synth isn't going to help all that much.

It is more learning how to use your instruments/effects.  I mean, I did my real learning on an 8 track analog w/ 2 mono synths, a spring reverb and chorus echo.  I had to learn w/ what I had and did OK stuff.  

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
planetearth
Re:How do I get a bass appropriate for dubstep 2010/06/09 12:40:06 (permalink)
I agree 100% with what SmokeyJ628 and AT said.

Besides, Ableton Live is not what you want unless you're a DJ.

SONAR Platinum ▪ NI Komplete, Korg DLC, Arturia V5 Collection, Dimension Pro, IK Multimedia & other synths ▪ Les Paul, Peavey and Yamaha guitars. Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife . Comments from other SONAR users are always welcome!
Keyborg
Re:How do I get a bass appropriate for dubstep 2010/06/09 17:34:51 (permalink)
most common comment's

"sounds cheap and outdated"
"video game music from the 90's"(one or two actually said this)

I was aiming for trance if you could tell or not
post edited by Keyborg - 2010/06/09 18:48:04
Keyborg
Re:How do I get a bass appropriate for dubstep 2010/06/09 21:02:00 (permalink)
czyky

All ideas posted so far for enhancing your tracks are, er, sound. Suggestion, try just putting some slight reverb on your master buss. Or some other effect. See how it helps, or doesn't. Maybe a bit of a short reverb, a long one, I don't know--it's your work! Just try some things on the main out buss. (If you're not routing everything to a master buss, then add a buss and route all the tracks to it. Easy, and a good practice work out.) Just try some stuff. If you are uncomfortable with routing to busses and such, well, you shouldn't be. They are your friends and are great ways to add all sorts of effects, (good or bad, you decide). You've got the keyboard/midi chops, you've got plenty of ideas judging from what you've done so far, now work on becoming a Sonar ninja.

Here's another idea. I posted a complete Sonar project to a published work, you can read about it here. It's not exactly like your work (good thing, we'd get into a fight over rights!), but not exactly unlike it either--lots of synths, etc. I use a fair amount of effects and EQ. Maybe you can get some ideas from looking into that project--that's what it's posted for.

strong post count to join date ratio, lol

Keyborg
Re:How do I get a bass appropriate for dubstep 2010/06/09 21:10:13 (permalink)
could it be the fact that I don't automate anything?
Keyborg
Re:How do I get a bass appropriate for dubstep 2010/06/12 23:46:14 (permalink)
HEY EVERYONE, guess who's going to upgrade his dimension dxi(from project 5v2) to dimension pro in the next few days? I'm sure you guessed right

First I have a question. Are the electronic drum's on pro better than the ones in the dxi version?
planetearth
Re:How do I get a bass appropriate for dubstep 2010/06/13 14:32:13 (permalink)
No, they're the same. In fact, there may be no difference at all, since Dimension Pro hasn't been updated in years. There are some free expansion packs you can add, but that's about it.

Do you have Dimension LE or Pro? I thought in a previous post, you said you had Pro. If you have Pro, you're just buying it again. It's the same thing.

Even if it had more or "better" sounds, a new version of Dimension Pro really won't solve your problem anyway. Take some time to review what everyone has offered here as far as effects. There's a lot of good information here, and I'd hate to see you try to throw money at this problem in an attempt to solve it.
post edited by planetearth - 2010/06/13 14:34:19

Keyborg
Re:How do I get a bass appropriate for dubstep 2010/06/13 18:13:03 (permalink)
"
I have the very first dimension that came with Project 5 v2 and the LE version. Don't have pro yet.

I have about 100$ to spend right now. The upgrade to pro is 100$. Should I just keep dxi and LE and, and buy effects instead. If you can make an unbiased suggestion on which effect to buy, that would be great.

post edited by Keyborg - 2010/06/13 19:18:36
planetearth
Re:How do I get a bass appropriate for dubstep 2010/06/14 00:55:34 (permalink)
Save your money.

Did you check out the plug-ins that Blue Cat and Antress give away? I mentioned them almost two weeks ago. They're great, and they'll cover you for EQ, compression, limiting and more.

A good reverb won't cost you anything. A great reverb will, but you don't need a great reverb yet. There are many good, free reverbs. Kjaerhus Audio Classic Reverb, Freeverb Too, Voxengo's Old Skool Verb are all decent algorithm-based 'verbs. Reverberate LE and HOF Origami Edition are good impulse-response 'verbs. WhiteLABEL TEV is a cool dual-reverb 'verb that has some wild effects that might work with your kind of music.

If you like anything you can otherwise get for free, you can either buy a more full-featured version (Blue Cat offers "pro" versions of their stuff), or you can--and should--donate to the developers who give away stuff you like and use. Spend your $100 on that, and you'll probably be better off.

Keyborg
Re:How do I get a bass appropriate for dubstep 2010/06/14 14:19:06 (permalink)
too late, I already ordered a dimension pro upgrade. Your post is kinda making me regret my decision, but other stuff is free, so it's ok.
hostile_hams
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 123
Re:How do I get a bass appropriate for dubstep 2010/06/26 13:27:10 (permalink)
I'm gonna post something about getting a wobble, although I know thats not really what this thread is about anymore.

I use the simplest programs to make my basic sounds: usually I use the Dreamstation Dxi, which, for some reason, I really like. It just goes to prove what people have been saying the whole time, that you don't always need the most expensive ones.

To start, choose the type of waveform. This can take a bit of tweaking, but you usually for the wobbly part will want a sawtooth, maybe combined with a square. Underneath that you will probably want something subby, and I would recommend having a sine wave bass doubling the notes but down an octave, and without any wobble. This way you can have the really cool sound, but also a lot of bass. You will have to do some work with the EQs to make sure they don't overlap each other, because then it will not sound good. You will want the wobble to be higher, probably.

Now that you have the basic sound, you need the wobble. To do this you need to add an LFO or modulator. You can use a number of different setting; tremolo or filter are probably the best though. Create an envelope for the speed of the modulation, and you will basically be tweaking that to change the sound. Of course, you will want to add other effects, like reverb, overdrive, bitcrushing, etc. over top of this to get a better sound.

This is just sort of a basic start, but it should get you on your way.

Check out some of my tracks at: http://soundcloud.com/hostile-hams
planetearth
Re:How do I get a bass appropriate for dubstep 2010/06/26 22:25:31 (permalink)
Good suggestion, hostile.

And what the heck is that in your avatar?

SmokeyJ628
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 809
Re:How do I get a bass appropriate for dubstep 2010/06/26 22:44:02 (permalink)
planetearth

Good suggestion, hostile.

And what the heck is that in your avatar?

I believe that's a Theremin.
hostile_hams
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 123
Re:How do I get a bass appropriate for dubstep 2010/06/27 21:01:17 (permalink)
That is a Theremin, yup. I have one, but I'll be damned if I can play it...

Check out some of my tracks at: http://soundcloud.com/hostile-hams
Marduk9
  • Total Posts : 10
Re:How do I get a bass appropriate for dubstep 2011/04/13 20:41:00 (permalink)
Keyborg

I guess they call it the wobbly bass.

[youtube]CJzfTZlEl40[/youttube]

Edit:http://www.youtube.com/us...rg#p/a/f/1/CJzfTZlEl40

Dude that's Dubba Jonny.  He's got the most massive wobble of all dubsteppers I can find.  His drops are insanity.  I can only aspire.

I got Rapture too ... did you figure out a way to do the dubstep? 

The trick is in the LFO settings.  Phase, depth, speed, cut-off and all that stuff.  Been playing with it.  But I'm not to a point where I can vary the wobble over the entire course.  I could chop up the tracks and make multiple tracks for each wobble phase.  But that's a lot of work compared to FL or Abletron.

Marduk9
  • Total Posts : 10
Re:How do I get a bass appropriate for dubstep 2011/04/13 21:20:51 (permalink)
Keyborg

most common comment's

"sounds cheap and outdated"
"video game music from the 90's"(one or two actually said this)

I was aiming for trance if you could tell or not

LMAO.  The internet is viciously honest.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1