How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ...

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
reader1
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 605
2010/06/30 21:18:37 (permalink)

How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ...

Once you finish your midi project with a plugin, say simple TTS-1, how do you save your wonderful works as a standard midi file? in order that can share with ohters.

what I take up this old topic is I found it might be not a simple way to save.

I test when I did it, the plugin would be lost when open it next.
if the plugin is not default, how do you save midi file and it will auto load the synth when you open it next?

and the second will be...

68 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ... 2010/06/30 21:40:17 (permalink)

Once you finish your midi project with a plugin, say simple TTS-1, how do you save your wonderful works as a standard midi file? in order that can share with others.
    Your problem is that a midi file cannot save any soft synth info. You need to save it a sc CWP and per project or a CDB file if you wanna share your midi data and soft synth with others.
    Midi alone is just data
    Cj
    Edit, or if you just want to share the sound, you need to bounce or freeze the synth and then export your audio.

, how do you save midi file and it will auto load the synth when you open it next? 

Save it! Save your project and open your project. Its done all the time like that
    post edited by CJaysMusic - 2010/06/30 21:42:03

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ... 2010/06/30 21:47:51 (permalink)
    If you save it as a SMF, you will lose all the Sonar-specific settings. Why not export it to a WAV file or an MP3 that you can share with others. Are the others just going to listen to it or contribute to it? Why would they need a MIDI file?

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ... 2010/06/30 23:45:16 (permalink)
    If you do need to share as MIDI file,

If you don't use banks, and only GM (General MIDI patches), you can save the file as Type-0.

Then on any PC that has its own MIDI player, the shared MIDI files will still play. For instance, just clicking on the MIDI file, the Windows Media Player would play it using the default Windows soft synth.

The sound would not be the same, but being GM, should be OK.

Try it. Export as MIDI type-0 and then just click on the resultant MIDI file.
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ... 2010/07/01 00:00:12 (permalink)
    --Or save as MIDI type 1 file so that the person you're sharing the MIDI file with won't have the hassle of having all the instruments piled in one track. 

Type 0 has everything on one track.  Type 1 keeps each instrument on its own track so that more study and/or editing can easily be done on a per-instrument basis.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    reader1
    Re:How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ... 2010/07/01 07:28:12 (permalink)
    go on.....

extend your idea, spread your mind...

reader1
    Re:How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ... 2010/07/01 08:17:22 (permalink)
    daveny5

If you save it as a SMF, you will lose all the Sonar-specific settings. Why not export it to a WAV file or an MP3 that you can share with others. Are the others just going to listen to it or contribute to it? Why would they need a MIDI file?

its very simple, .wav has more volume than midi files. even compressed mp3 has more than it.
    people enjoy it. its comfortable nd competable.
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ... 2010/07/01 08:45:32 (permalink)
    As mentioned already:
    If you save a project as a midi-file, it is just midi. There is no link to TTS-1 or any VST or soft synth you've used to play it inside Sonar.
    Whoever opens the file will hear it played through the MIDI-device he's got, which isn't always the sounds you've intended to use.

It's that simple, there's nothing to extend or to open in our minds.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ... 2010/07/01 09:54:45 (permalink)
    reader1

daveny5

its very simple, .wav has more volume than midi files. even compressed mp3 has more than it.

A MIDI file has no volume at all. Its data only. The statement above is irrelevant.

Best
    John
    rbowser
    Re:How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ... 2010/07/01 10:41:19 (permalink)
    It still isn't clear how you intend to share your project.  Some of us gave replies to your question about saving it as a "standard MIDI file."  But you apparently didn't know when you wrote the post that a standard MIDI file only has note performance data in it, and can't also include soft synths. 

So you probably didn't mean that you wanted to save as a MIDI file.  You may not mean you want to share it as a Sonar project either, because only other people with Sonar would be able to open it.

The option left is that you want to simply share a music file, an MP3 which you can easily email to people perhaps.  And this is just the basic function of Sonar, to work up a musical production using MIDI and Audio, then to mix the results down to a single stereo audio track, a .wav file.  That's the sum of your whole project.  Then to share it, you make and MP3 copy of that master recording.

Is that what you were asking about?

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    reader1
    Re:How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ... 2010/07/05 04:03:54 (permalink)
    Kalle Rantaaho

As mentioned already:
    If you save a project as a midi-file, it is just midi. There is no link to TTS-1 or any VST or soft synth you've used to play it inside Sonar.
    Whoever opens the file will hear it played through the MIDI-device he's got, which isn't always the sounds you've intended to use.

It's that simple, there's nothing to extend or to open in our minds.

If you keep stereotyping, its simple. if you would go behind some stereotypes,, you may find there is someting to do. may be not simple,
    do you know riff midi format? what is the currrent midi?
    reader1
    Re:How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ... 2010/07/05 04:11:58 (permalink)
    John

reader1

daveny5

A MIDI file has no volume at all. Its data only. The statement above is irrelevant.

erh?
    you may be either good at word game, or merely a keyboard player.
    Data has volume! some are larger, some smaller.
    There is something to do with it.
    rbowser
    Re:How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ... 2010/07/05 11:23:50 (permalink)
    reader1

John

reader1

daveny5

erh?

Ah.  Now what you said makes sense.

Reader, we have been confused because when you said "volume," you were referring to the size difference between MIDI files, .wav files and MP3s.

But when John said MIDI doesn't have volume, he was talking about loudness.

It keeps things more clear when talking about music, to use the word "volume" to refer to how loud music, measured in decibels.  And if we need to talk about how small or large something is, to then use the word "size."

So you see, we didn't understand you at all when you said this earlier:

its very simple, .wav has more volume than midi files. even compressed mp3 has more than it. people enjoy it. its comfortable nd competable.

Now I understand you meant that MIDI files are small in data size, and that .wavs and MP3s are much larger.  People like how small MIDI filesare , and their size makes them more convenient.

At least we understand what you meant now.

But hopefully you understand that people usually don't just share their MIDI files with friends and other people, because there's no control over what they will sound like.  MIDI files will trigger whatever synth people have available, and if you're sending to a non-musician friend, that synth is likely to be the rather bad sounding sounds in their computer's sound card.

People want to hear what you've done with your music, not just the notes.  So go ahead and produce your music in Sonar, then share it as MP3 files.  The average song will still be very small, small enough to fit on an email.

If you wanted to only put together MIDI files, there are perfectly good free programs for doing that.  You wouldn't need Sonar with all of its tools.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ... 2010/07/05 11:43:27 (permalink)
    Randy good call. Yes now it is clear what Reader meant.  Volume as in quantity not loudness.

Best
    John
    rbowser
    Re:How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ... 2010/07/05 11:56:45 (permalink)
    John

Randy good call. Yes now it is clear what Reader meant.  Volume as in quantity not loudness.

Hi, John - When I saw Reader's new post this morning, the veil lifted.  It isn't always easy to follow what Reader means, and I'm sure he's been misunderstood before.  But when it comes to using more than one language, he's doing better than me!

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    reader1
    Re:How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ... 2010/07/06 04:42:01 (permalink)
    rbowser

John

Hi, John - When I saw Reader's new post this morning, the veil lifted.  It isn't always easy to follow what Reader means, and I'm sure he's been misunderstood before.  But when it comes to using more than one language, he's doing better than me!

Randy B.

Im afraid I didnt misunderstand you all. if I would have any problem I would have inquired in time, even if its an easy one. that's why I asked many basic words and its original.
    I wish to not to produce any gap.

reader1
    Re:How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ... 2010/07/06 04:53:19 (permalink)
    John

good step. next I shall add Size.
    btw,
    if I say this room has more volume than that one or the ship has more volume than that boart,
    do you grasp them as this room can make more loud voice thant that one?
    or this ship has a large loudspeak than that one?

hehe, only a joke.

reader1
    Re:How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ... 2010/07/06 23:41:48 (permalink)
    you might be naive and cheated.
    rbowser
    Re:How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ... 2010/07/06 23:44:41 (permalink)
    reader1

- ?  What are you talking about now, reader?

RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    reader1
    Re:How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ... 2010/07/06 23:55:13 (permalink)
    rbowser

erh?

Ah.  Now what you said makes sense.

Reader, we have been confused because when you said "volume," you were referring to the size difference between MIDI files, .wav files and MP3s.

But when John said MIDI doesn't have volume, he was talking about loudness.

It keeps things more clear when talking about music, to use the word "volume" to refer to how loud music, measured in decibels.  And if we need to talk about how small or large something is, to then use the word "size."

Now I understand you meant that MIDI files are small in data size, and that .wavs and MP3s are much larger.  People like how small MIDI filesare , and their size makes them more convenient.

At least we understand what you meant now.

How do yu grasp this words?
    The volume of the louderspeaker is easy too enlarging to have a good voice.
    the smaller volume of a louderspeaker can't playback a good lower tone.
    ?
    this file has too large volume to load in the memory.
    how do you speak in English?

dont upset, Im playing a game.
    reader1
    Re:How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ... 2010/07/07 00:01:53 (permalink)
    rbowser

But hopefully you understand that people usually don't just share their MIDI files with friends and other people, because there's no control over what they will sound like.  MIDI files will trigger whatever synth people have available, and if you're sending to a non-musician friend, that synth is likely to be the rather bad sounding sounds in their computer's sound card.

People want to hear what you've done with your music, not just the notes.  So go ahead and produce your music in Sonar, then share it as MP3 files.  The average song will still be very small, small enough to fit on an email.

If you wanted to only put together MIDI files, there are perfectly good free programs for doing that.  You wouldn't need Sonar with all of its tools.

Randy B.

I presume you have been brought up to listen to midi, but you seem not to be familar with midi and its history from above your words, in spite of you can operate sonar.

rbowser
    Re:How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ... 2010/07/07 00:01:55 (permalink)
    I think maybe I'll have to have several more drinks to catch up with you, Reader. 

I still have no idea if you ever figured out the answers to your original question.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    reader1
    Re:How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ... 2010/07/07 00:03:30 (permalink)
    rbowser

reader1

- ?  What are you talking about now, reader?

RB

you might be victim in John's hoax.  :)

rbowser
    Re:How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ... 2010/07/07 00:06:37 (permalink)
    reader1

I presume you have been brought up to listen to midi, but you seem not to be familar with midi and its history from above your words, in spite of you can operate sonar.

---I don't know why I try to communicate with you, Reader.  It's always hopeless.  You have exactly No Idea what you're talking about.  I am very familiar with MIDI and using it in programs like Sonar.  The other night I sat down to write something which I thought might be helpful to you.  But as usual, you obviously don't understand the answers given to you, and you just reply with arguments and jokes.  Oh well!---I'll know better than to get sucked into another "conversation" with you.  Byeeeeeeeeeee.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    reader1
    Re:How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ... 2010/07/07 00:09:53 (permalink)
    rbowser

I think maybe I'll have to have several more drinks to catch up with you, Reader. 

I still have no idea if you ever figured out the answers to your original question.

Randy B.

sorrry I don't drink any more.
    before it, I shuold figure out that the volume of sound can't be measureed by dB, which is not a quantity.
    you can measure it by force (pressure) or energy or power say Joul or watt etc.
    wish you remember it.

reader1
    Re:How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ... 2010/07/07 00:23:44 (permalink)
    rbowser

reader1

---I don't know why I try to communicate with you, Reader.  It's always hopeless.  You have exactly No Idea what you're talking about.  I am very familiar with MIDI and using it in programs like Sonar.  The other night I sat down to write something which I thought might be helpful to you.  But as usual, you obviously don't understand the answers given to you, and you just reply with arguments and jokes.  Oh well!---I'll know better than to get sucked into another "conversation" with you.  Byeeeeeeeeeee.

Randy B.

I understand what you said and what are going to say, what  a shame, some shallow some wrong when you go futher more.
    you seem to just graduate from a school.
    wish you go over midi history and whats their standard. then you will understand what I said and what your wrong.
    however I tank you for your enthuarism.

John
    Forum Host
    Re:How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ... 2010/07/07 01:14:21 (permalink)
    Reader I cut you a lot of slack due to you using a language that is not native to you. That gives you no right to insult people here or anywhere else. You have a habit of insulting people that are only trying to help you with your questions. Please try to understand that we don't think in the same language as you do. Therefore its not often easy to figure out what you mean.

In English many words have many different meanings and its the context that tells us the meaning in use. When you are in an audio forum and talking about MIDI and audio, volume has but one meaning. It is never used to mean size in such a forum or context as in file size. It always means loudness. If we were on a forum dealing the shape and style of bottles then the word volume would not mean loudness but capacity. 

There is great more to communication then knowing a few words. Your postings look as if they went through some sort of translation program.

That will always be problematic but can often be funny. In your case its not.

post edited by John - 2010/07/07 01:15:24

Best
    John
    reader1
    Re:How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ... 2010/07/07 11:14:56 (permalink)
    John

Reader I cut you a lot of slack due to you using a language that is not native to you. That gives you no right to insult people here or anywhere else. You have a habit of insulting people that are only trying to help you with your questions. Please try to understand that we don't think in the same language as you do. Therefore its not often easy to figure out what you mean.

In English many words have many different meanings and its the context that tells us the meaning in use. When you are in an audio forum and talking about MIDI and audio, volume has but one meaning. It is never used to mean size in such a forum or context as in file size. It always means loudness. If we were on a forum dealing the shape and style of bottles then the word volume would not mean loudness but capacity. 

There is great more to communication then knowing a few words. Your postings look as if they went through some sort of translation program.

That will always be problematic but can often be funny. In your case its not.

sounds like a good excuse. how do you grasp this sentence, the volume of a loudspeaker is depended on how much the lower tone playback?

speaker is a basic com;ponent of audio.

we don't mind about humor, it adds color on the thread, why dare not to confess?
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ... 2010/07/07 11:22:22 (permalink)
    sounds like a good excuse.
    For what?

Your post like many of your posts are nonsensical. You may think they use correct grammar but they don't.  Please try to communicate better. 

Best
    John
    reader1
    Re:How do you save your midi files? in order that you can ... 2010/07/07 11:37:19 (permalink)
    second, what is insult words? pls figure out. in order that not make suich mistake.

do you mean what I've ever listed out some signal processing formula was not fit to thread?
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1