How many guitars do I need?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/23 22:29:04 (permalink)
I actually stopped buying guitars to collect vintage amps and vintage synths.  Those do not hang from the walls well like the guitars do.  

Oh
You also need some martins (2 here) and some taylors (3 here) and some odd and end other acoustics.  

My pride and joys are my 56 strat (not a reissue), 52 ES295 and 64 Firebird VII.  But I play my Mary Kaye reissue closet classic strat and my paisley tele and custom shop les paul and my SG about the most of anything.  Except when I have to have the sound of a Gretsch or a Ricky.  

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/23 22:44:38 (permalink)
How many guitars do I need?

One of each... at least.
Don't forget the Mosrite.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
marcos69
Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4950
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/23 23:24:01 (permalink)
space_cowboy

I actually stopped buying guitars to collect vintage amps and vintage synths.  Those do not hang from the walls well like the guitars do.  

Oh
You also need some martins (2 here) and some taylors (3 here) and some odd and end other acoustics.  

My pride and joys are my 56 strat (not a reissue), 52 ES295 and 64 Firebird VII.  But I play my Mary Kaye reissue closet classic strat and my paisley tele and custom shop les paul and my SG about the most of anything.  Except when I have to have the sound of a Gretsch or a Ricky.  

Having 45 guitars is pretty impressive. You should consider being a guitar collector.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
Russell.Whaley
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2755
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/23 23:44:19 (permalink)
space_cowboy

Oh

Question from the uninformed - who is/was Mary Kaye?  The only "Mary Kay" I know of is the lady who built the cosmetics empire (my wife sells MK from time to time).  I'm assuming this is someone entirely different....?

Bub
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7196
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 00:21:32 (permalink)
Middleman

And you built a nice little barn for them, how cute.
Thank you. :) It's a prototype I made out of scrap pine I had laying around in my basement. Those metal ones you get online are so 'flexible' they scare me. Funny that there's 6 rare left handed guitars there and you notice the rack. I must have done a great job on it. :)

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 00:34:25 (permalink)
quote: How many guitars do I need?

As I always tell my wife when she asks me the same question, (usually around holidays and birthdays), 10,000.  So now I have only 9,981 left to buy.  Although, it's soon to be 9,980.

Have a good one!
Bob
Middleman
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4397
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 00:35:01 (permalink)
Bub, I was wondering if the picture was backward or if you were left handed. Yeah, I like the rack, very nifty. You should put some felt around the edges by the neck and at the bottom so they don't get scratched. I'll bet that was your thought as well.
post edited by Middleman - 2011/01/24 00:37:56

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
Bub
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 00:46:52 (permalink)
Middleman

Bub, I was wondering if the picture was backward or if you were left handed. Yeah, I like the rack, very nifty. You should put some felt around the edges by the neck and at the bottom so they don't get scratched. I'll bet that was your thought as well.
I'm cursed actually. I'm right handed, but I play left handed. I learned to play on my brother's right handed guitars with the low E on the bottom. Then one Christmas he bought me a true left handed, lefty strung guitar. Took a while to relearn but I got it eventually.

I was thinking of the felt for sure. I want to make the final rack out of oak but can't afford it right now. I made two tiny little shelves for my bathroom last year and it was $100 bucks. Sheesh. Didn't want to waste money for felt to put on a rack I know I'm going to take apart. To be honest, the only thing holding it together is that piece across the back. It falls apart without that. :)

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 06:46:41 (permalink)
The phrase "impluse buying" was originally coined with musicians in mind.

It's true!!!

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 07:05:42 (permalink)
Bristol_Jonesey

The phrase "impluse buying" was originally coined with drummers in mind.
Fixed

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

trimph1
Max Output Level: -12 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6348
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 07:10:33 (permalink)
Enough to fill a warehouse!!

So there...haaaarrruuuuuuummmmpph!  

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 08:04:39 (permalink)
Hi Spacey,

I'm not much for tonewood = species stuff as I think each particular hunk of wood has potential to be good or bad.

With regards to the wholesale board foot price of Swamp Ash, I always figured it was cheap simply because it is, to the best of my knowledge, only used to make Baseball Bats, Guitars, and freight pallets, where as a versatile wood such as Alder is highly prized for many other uses.

When I read about the history of Fender guitars it's clear that they used Swamp Ash because it was cheap, but a myth grew to suggest that the choice of Swamp Ash was a stroke of good luck and that Swamp Ash is a fancy tone wood for guitars.

Again, I don't regard any particular species as being special and I look to individual chunks for their particular ability to resonate.

I think in addition to needing extra sanding sealer that a grainy wood like ash may also require a bit more care during the shaping stage. Which I have thought was why even vendors of raw unfinished bodies ask similar amounts for their ash and alder wood selections.

When I get done with my house remodel I'm going to build a few guitar bodies from scratch... I've got some Mahogany and Ash blanks sitting on the shelf and some custom made routing templates that I made up for funky body outlines a while ago.

BTW, one reason my taste has gravitated to transparent finish guitars is that it seems, as I think you have suggested, that opaque colored guitars are often hiding butcher block construction.

Good fun!!!

best regards,
mike

spacey
  • Total Posts : 8769
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 08:52:57 (permalink)
Mike, I couldn't agree more about the tonal quality of tonewoods.
I believe luthiers take their best shot based on past experience with the wood
and hope for the best.

Purchasing a Fender now has become something for the buyer to really want to take
some time to understand what Fender is doing.

I bought two Standards, a Strat and a Tele at 800. each just to see the difference
between them and the Deluxe.
I had to finish the frets on the Strat., the Tele was alright.
The Strats trem is better than many of the ones on the deluxe models.
The necks are what one expect of a Fender HOWEVER the deluxe model is being
offered with a compound radius fretboard. Some players may think that combined with the S1 switching is worth an 800.00 dollar price difference...yes a Standard for 800.00 or a deluxe for 1600. and you get a case.
And the micro-tilt??? What the heck is that about. Everybody talks and knows the importance of a tight neck pocket and they want to put a screw to tilt the neck! Why..that neck shouldn't need tilting! Crazy is what that is.

In my way of thinking I'd take the Standard Strat and Tele  for $1,600.00 with gig bags
and they could keep the deluxe and case.
I could put locking tuners on them later and dress the frets, file the nuts and be set with two ready to play.
Of course if I wanted to invest and throw a guitar in the closet thinking I could make a few bucks of it in retirement....get a deluxe and keep your fingers crossed.

You should build Mike. You have the talent and mindset to do it.
You could then spend $300.00 for some figured Maple and put a top-plate on that body
and look like PRS and Gibsons. ( I just can't seem to let go of that much for figured maple....and then spray a plastic coat over it to make really shine...?)

Well I posted for the OP to hear my thoughts.....forget the Strat if your not going to check
what the money's doing and get an Ibanex JEM or the Satch one.
And if you have to have a Strat style check out Charvel.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Charvel-SoCal-Style-1-HH-Electric-Guitar?sku=H65801
At work and can't load a picture...$899. and comparable or better than the $1,600 Strat with a compound radius board. And remember when these cats were building for EVH and Fender decided to own them....
And then there's always G&L....
Many flavors to taste when it comes to a Strat style guitar and worth the time to do it I think.

Hope I may have helped Jeff.
The Maillard Reaction
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 08:58:54 (permalink)

Micro tilt???

Oh My, I didn't see that... run for your life!!!

You surely just helped me.

:-)

I had not noticed they reintroduced that feature.

all the best,
mike

spacey
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 09:09:21 (permalink)
mike_mccue

Micro tilt???

Oh My, I didn't see that... run for your life!!!

You surely just helped me.

I had not noticed they reintroduced that feature.

all the best,
mike

Wonder why it's there Mike?
Well I found out when you're finally crazy from fret buzz and find out that when they tightened the neck down
and the fretboard was pushed up from the pickguard you could adjust it....if that ain't some sht.
Now that's quality control.
marcos69
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 09:10:29 (permalink)
Bub

Middleman

Thank you. :) It's a prototype I made out of scrap pine I had laying around in my basement. Those metal ones you get online are so 'flexible' they scare me. Funny that there's 6 rare left handed guitars there and you notice the rack. I must have done a great job on it. :)

Is that a left handed rack?

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
zungle
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2745
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 09:40:19 (permalink)
And the micro-tilt??? What the heck is that about.

I don't understand that either..............

I was young and maybe did not understand what I had, but I owned a late 70's Fender strat with a micro tilt neck. I wrestled that thing to no end trying to keep it intonated and playable. I had 2 different luthiers work with it. I finally gave up one day and sold it.  
The Maillard Reaction
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 09:55:31 (permalink)
On my Warmoth P-Bass I have two extra hidden bolts under the neck plate to keep the neck/body joint as solid as possible.

6 bolts. The extra two are flush mounted machine bolts fit to big threaded bushings installed in the neck.

spacey
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 10:43:49 (permalink)
zungle

And the micro-tilt??? What the heck is that about.

I don't understand that either..............

I was young and maybe did not understand what I had, but I owned a late 70's Fender strat with a micro tilt neck. I wrestled that thing to no end trying to keep it intonated and playable. I had 2 different luthiers work with it. I finally gave up one day and sold it.  
It's there to change the neck angle and works in conjunction with the bridge saddles height adjustment as you know.
And it works if things are right and you have the patience. The problem is that one shouldn't have to do that as part of the set-up. It's ridiculous if
one takes into account the value of a tight fitting neck pocket.
And your's was probably a three bolt...

Tap
Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4536
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 11:01:17 (permalink)
The correct answer is always .... one more than the number you have.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 11:38:47 (permalink)
Karyn

I've suddenly got the opportunity to aquire a Dark Fire.  

What would you do?

Buy it and send it to Bapu. Sorted.

DerGeist
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 329
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 12:00:57 (permalink)
A bit off topic but somebody mentioned the Darkfire (don't say the name again or one might appear).

I love Les Pauls (well, some of them at any rate) but the appeal of this guitar is a total mystery to me. Its got that perfect mix of fugliness and technological gimmickry that makes me want to run in the other direction.

I am actually curious, if you dig the darkfire, I must know why?

I'm pretty sure the bible mentions guitars that you need to charge as a sighn of the end times.
The Maillard Reaction
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 12:04:47 (permalink)
OK we need specifics. :-)

I'm not a Les Paul guy but have several owned by friends to use when I wish.

I'm a SG and LP Special fan.

What don't you like about the Dark Fire?

DerGeist
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 329
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 12:15:19 (permalink)
A lot of it is personal preference. I will prefecase this by saying I only played one once for a couple of minutes, so a lot of this is superficial.

The pickups are ugly to me. I hate the matte black and the mix of a p90 and a humbucker, while probably not a bad idea sonically is not something I could look at every day. In a thread advocated muliple guitars I advocate a 57 with p90s and a 58 with humbuckers :) (its only 4 times the cost)

The glowing tuning knob is a visual abomination.

Are there really that many people who would buy a les paul but can't tune it? Would it not be cheaper to buy a non-robot les paul and a tuner. Or lean to tune your $2000 guitar?

Keep your piezos out of my guitars.

TRS stero cable -- no thanks.

Built in sound card -- no thanks.

I even hate the finish.

This is really all in fun. I'm a bit of a crumugeon who thinks the electric guitar was perfected in 1958. I appreciate that others have moved on :)

drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 12:26:36 (permalink)
Russell.Whaley

Question from the uninformed - who is/was Mary Kaye?  The only "Mary Kay" I know of is the lady who built the cosmetics empire (my wife sells MK from time to time).  I'm assuming this is someone entirely different....? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Kaye

As to the OP, you need at least one guitar for every pair of shoes she has.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
The Maillard Reaction
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 12:33:22 (permalink)
DerGeist

A lot of it is personal preference. I will prefecase this by saying I only played one once for a couple of minutes, so a lot of this is superficial.

The pickups are ugly to me. I hate the matte black and the mix of a p90 and a humbucker, while probably not a bad idea sonically is not something I could look at every day. In a thread advocated muliple guitars I advocate a 57 with p90s and a 58 with humbuckers :) (its only 4 times the cost)

The glowing tuning knob is a visual abomination.

Are there really that many people who would buy a les paul but can't tune it? Would it not be cheaper to buy a non-robot les paul and a tuner. Or lean to tune your $2000 guitar?

Keep your piezos out of my guitars.

TRS stero cable -- no thanks.

Built in sound card -- no thanks.

I even hate the finish.

This is really all in fun. I'm a bit of a crumugeon who thinks the electric guitar was perfected in 1958. I appreciate that others have moved on :)

I do too and I think I'm with you one pretty much everything but the finish... which I personally don't like either... but I think that it must appeal to someone.

Last night I thought I saw it discounted at $799 and I assumed it was just another LP studio... I didn't understand it had all the other stuff.... YUCK!

drewfx1
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 13:18:58 (permalink)
Karyn

I'm sorry, I didn't read the small print in the un-written rules.

So I should buy it?

mmmm,   ok.   I best talk with 'him indoors'.   How do I tell him I'm about to spend all his pocket money?  All the advise on the forum only mentions guys trying to justify such purchases to their wives...

Karyn, at the risk of selling out my fellow man, this is easy:

After bringing your new prize home, hug him and say "I am so happy you let me buy this!". When he asks what you're talking about, say "Remember honey, we talked about it last week, and you said OK". Then give him a stern look, shake your head and say, "You weren't listening to me were you?".

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
drewfx1
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 13:26:29 (permalink)
mike_mccue

uggghh

I gotta go buy a mandolin now.

Here's how I solved that problem (stock photo) :

Bub
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 13:55:32 (permalink)
marcos69

Bub

Middleman

Is that a left handed rack?
It's funny you mention that! :) See the bass on the far end? Well, I wanted to put my acoustic's on the end, but I can't because I didn't leave enough space, so I would have to turn the one on the end around so it's facing the wrong way. It bugs me to no end with it facing the other way so I just changed the order in which I place them.

No, I don't have any compulsive disorders. :)

marcos69
Re:How many guitars do I need? 2011/01/24 14:17:28 (permalink)
Bub

No, I don't have any compulsive disorders. :)

No, no, we can all see that...

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1