How to record Electric Drum set using midi?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
sharpdion23
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 784
2011/01/12 00:30:41 (permalink)

How to record Electric Drum set using midi?

Iv'e got a Roland TD-9 and I want to use it to record my drums.

It has got a midi in and out on the brain, so I figure there should be a way to record with these.

I just can't figure out how to record using midi though

Any Help is appriciated.

48 Replies Related Threads

Katie_Katie
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 557
    Re:How to record Electric Drum set using midi? 2011/01/12 00:40:08 (permalink)

*posted in error*
    post edited by Katie_Katie - 2011/01/12 00:46:27

Katherine  

JClosed
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 690
    Re:How to record Electric Drum set using midi? 2011/01/12 03:04:07 (permalink)
    Well - You have to use a MIDI interface connected to your computer. You have to use a MIDI cable to connect the drum computer to the MIDI interface. Once this interface is installed you can select it as input source on a MIDI track in Sonar.

After recording you can use the MIDI interface as output to drive your drum computer and so use it as playback device.

However - if you want to record the SOUND of the drum computer, you obviously need to connect the sound output of your drum computer to the sound input of your recording device (sound card). Be careful to chose a low level output from your drum computer to make sure your sound card does not get overloaded (can result in extreme distortion or even damage on your card). Now you can use the sound card input in a Audio track to record your drum computer sound. A the computer is probably not triggered to play at the right moment, you have to adjust (and sometimes stretch) the recorded Audio file to match any other recordings you made... 
    Scott Lee
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re:How to record Electric Drum set using midi? 2011/01/12 03:16:10 (permalink)
    Works like this..

-------------                                                                             -------------        
    |               | >> Midi out----------------------------------Midi In>>|               |
    | Sonar X1|                                                                            |   TD - 9  |
    |               | << Midi In----------------------------------Midi Out<<|               |
     -------------                                                                             -------------
             |    |                                                                                 |   |
             |    |__<<Right audio out going to audio card or mixer__|   |
             |_____<<Left audio out going to audio card or mixer_____|

Hope this helps.

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
    SFX Media 
    Song Composer / Engineer / Audio Director

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dezacrator?feature=mhee

sharpdion23
    Re:How to record Electric Drum set using midi? 2011/01/12 13:57:20 (permalink)
    Scott Lee

Works like this..

-------------                                                                             -------------        
    |               | >> Midi out----------------------------------Midi In>>|               |
    | Sonar X1|                                                                            |   TD - 9  |
    |               | << Midi In----------------------------------Midi Out<<|               |
    -------------                                                                             -------------
            |    |                                                                                 |   |
            |    |__<<Right audio out going to audio card or mixer__|   |
            |_____<<Left audio out going to audio card or mixer_____| 

Hope this helps.

Interesting.. What is the R&L out to mixer for?
    and what to do on X1 to get it recording

post edited by sharpdion23 - 2011/01/12 13:58:40
    A1MixMan
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1706
    Re:How to record Electric Drum set using midi? 2011/01/12 16:24:29 (permalink)
    What are trying to record from the drumkit? The sounds it makes or just the midi data to run through a VST?

If you want to record the sound of the drum module, then you need audio cables 1/4". If not, then don't worry about this step.

If you want to control a software drum kit inside of X1, then you need to connect the midi cables to your computer via a midi interface box (Micro Lite from MOTU for example) to get the data in. Does your soundcard have midiports? Then you don't need the interface. Just connect the drumkit to the soundcard via midi. Remeber, connect the midi out port to the midi in port and viseversa. You may just need to connect the midi out of the drumkit to the midi in if you're not trying to control the Drumkit with Sonar.

TD-9 MIDI OUT to the computer via interface or soundcard MIDI IN = Control software drumkit with the TD-9

TD-9 MIDI IN from the computer via interface or soundcard MIDI OUT = Control the TD-9 with commands from X1

TD-9 1\4" audio cables OUT to the soundcard 1/4" IN = Record audio coming from the TD-9.

post edited by A1MixMan - 2011/01/12 16:33:37

A1
    A1MixMan
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1706
    Re:How to record Electric Drum set using midi? 2011/01/12 16:49:58 (permalink)
    Once you have it connected right, Check in the preferences dialog (P) under midi devices to make sure your TD-9 shows up and is checkmarked. I always check both the in and out boxes.

Then insert an audio track and a midi track into your project.

On the audio track, insert the software drumkit in the FX box and select the kit you want. Check what midi channel the software drumkit is receiving on, and make sure it and the TD-9 are on the same channel.

On the Midi track, set the input to your TD-9, MIDI OMNI is fine unless you know the specific midi channel your TD-9 is transmitting on. And set the output to the software drumkit you loaded into the audio track.

What you are actually doing: When you hit a drum, the midi info comes from the TD-9 OUT to the computer IN. Inside X1, it gets recorded into the Midi track. From there it's sent to the audio track which runs it through the software drumkit (softsynth or VST) which then triggers a sample or synthizes a sound.

When you have time I suggest checking this out:

http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_get_started_with_midi.html
    It's a little confusing but it's really not that hard. Just read through it several times.
    post edited by A1MixMan - 2011/01/12 16:55:42

A1
    sharpdion23
    Re:How to record Electric Drum set using midi? 2011/01/12 17:08:45 (permalink)
    A1MixMan

Once you have it connected right, Check in the preferences dialog (P) under midi devices to make sure your TD-9 shows up and is checkmarked. I always check both the in and out boxes.

Then insert an audio track and a midi track into your project.

On the audio track, insert the software drumkit in the FX box and select the kit you want. Check what midi channel the software drumkit is receiving on, and make sure it and the TD-9 are on the same channel.

On the Midi track, set the input to your TD-9, MIDI OMNI is fine unless you know the specific midi channel your TD-9 is transmitting on. And set the output to the software drumkit you loaded into the audio track.

What you are actually doing: When you hit a drum, the midi info comes from the TD-9 OUT to the computer IN. Inside X1, it gets recorded into the Midi track. From there it's sent to the audio track which runs it through the software drumkit (softsynth or VST) which then triggers a sample or synthizes a sound.

When you have time I suggest checking this out:

http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_get_started_with_midi.html
    It's a little confusing but it's really not that hard. Just read through it several times.
    Ok so I SI Drums, but I got a few problems..

1. When I het the drums, the sound is late.

2. my closed hi hat does not work, it only records open hi hat.

post edited by sharpdion23 - 2011/01/12 17:35:47
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:How to record Electric Drum set using midi? 2011/01/12 18:10:19 (permalink)
    1. You need tolower your latency. you also need a good sound card for this. so hopefully your not using an onboard one..

2. You need a drum soft synth like Superior 2 do make a closed high hat.

By the way, this question you asked was my first question I ever asked in this forum..hehe.

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    sharpdion23
    Re:How to record Electric Drum set using midi? 2011/01/12 18:50:46 (permalink)
    CJaysMusic

1. You need tolower your latency. you also need a good sound card for this. so hopefully your not using an onboard one..

By the way, this question you asked was my first question I ever asked in this forum..hehe.
    How do I lower Latency? I use ASIO and SPS-66 FireWire not an onboard

I'll take a look at superior drummer 2
    Nice to know your first question, so maybe you can help me lots!
    I have quite a favor to ask anybody who has an E. Drum...Can you make a video to run me through all the steps from the beginning to help me out, as this is my first time to record E drums using midi. I would like to do the following

-Record using my TD9 to my SPS-66 FireWire
    -Use a soft Synth to chose my drum sounds.
    -and have each drum head (Kick, Snare, toms..) have their own track to be recorded on to.

I hope someone can really make a video on this.
    post edited by sharpdion23 - 2011/01/12 19:23:12
    sharpdion23
    Re:How to record Electric Drum set using midi? 2011/01/12 20:23:47 (permalink)
    CJaysMusic

How about Session Drummer?

Win7 pro 64bit*SonarX1 PE 64 bit* AMD Athlon(tm)64 X2 Dual Processor 6000+ 3.00 Ghz* 4GB Ram* 232GB HD* Cakewalk MA-15D* SPS-66 FireWire

Owner of Sonar 6 Studio* Sonar 7 PE * Sonar 8.0 PE * Sonar 8.5.3 PE * Sonar X1 PE *

Link to upload Screens: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1592276

A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
    guitarmikeh
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 942
    Re:How to record Electric Drum set using midi? 2011/01/12 20:38:42 (permalink)
    http://www.blades85.com/sonardrummaps.htm

I suggest you also watch this video by Blades. It was done a few years ago but is still valid today. it takes some work but well worth it.
    good luck

I harbor no ill will towards any man.
    hockeyjx
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 839
    Re:How to record Electric Drum set using midi? 2011/01/12 22:18:27 (permalink)
    +1 on guitarmikeh's comment. 

The drum maps will do the trick (for example, the Addictive Drums included Drum Maps have just about all the Roland e-drums mapped ...down to rim shots, ride bell hits and cymbal chokes).

Not sure what SD3 has, or who has done maps in that regard.

Intel i7 950 Proc, Asus Sabertooth x58 MB, 2 Crucial 128GB SSDs and Seagate 1TBGB drive, 12GB Corsair 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 Memory, Nvidia GeForece 8400 Dual Monitor vid card
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 700w Power Supply, Cooler Master Sileo 500

Win 7 64 bit, SPlat 64-bit, Komplete 10 Ultimate, AmpliTube3 and AD2

Tascam FW-1884 and AKAI MPK-49
    sharpdion23
    Re:How to record Electric Drum set using midi? 2011/01/12 22:58:23 (permalink)
    hockeyjx

The drum maps will do the trick (for example, the Addictive Drums included Drum Maps have just about all the Roland e-drums mapped ...down to rim shots, ride bell hits and cymbal chokes).

I tried mapping td9 on my own, but is quite time consuming for me.
    and when I tried to use the same drum map for another project it is not there. Maybe because it was only for the current project I was using.

You say that addictive drum maps have most of roland e drums map? Is Add Drums a vst/synth?

This is also something that I have done.

I used sesson drummer 3 checked midi source, Syth Track Folder and All synth audio outputs stereo.

Chose a drum kit and set the output for each drum head to it's own track.

But what next? I can't seem to get my e-drums (TD9) to connect with my SD3.

post edited by sharpdion23 - 2011/01/12 23:31:26

Win7 pro 64bit*SonarX1 PE 64 bit* AMD Athlon(tm)64 X2 Dual Processor 6000+ 3.00 Ghz* 4GB Ram* 232GB HD* Cakewalk MA-15D* SPS-66 FireWire

Owner of Sonar 6 Studio* Sonar 7 PE * Sonar 8.0 PE * Sonar 8.5.3 PE * Sonar X1 PE *

sharpdion23
    Re:How to record Electric Drum set using midi? 2011/01/12 23:54:48 (permalink)
    CJaysMusic

Is Superior 2 the only synth that can do a closed Hi hat?

hockeyjx
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 839
    Re:How to record Electric Drum set using midi? 2011/01/13 00:00:22 (permalink)
    Addictive Drums would be used as a soft-synth (in a VST wrapper). VERY EASY and VERY GOOD (IMO). I'm sure DFH, BFD, Battery (which I have but haven't delved in to) and others are good too, just haven't played with those.

http://www.xlnaudio.com/?page=products&p_page=addictivedrums

Well worth the money.

Intel i7 950 Proc, Asus Sabertooth x58 MB, 2 Crucial 128GB SSDs and Seagate 1TBGB drive, 12GB Corsair 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 Memory, Nvidia GeForece 8400 Dual Monitor vid card
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 700w Power Supply, Cooler Master Sileo 500

Win 7 64 bit, SPlat 64-bit, Komplete 10 Ultimate, AmpliTube3 and AD2

Tascam FW-1884 and AKAI MPK-49
    sharpdion23
    Re:How to record Electric Drum set using midi? 2011/01/13 01:49:11 (permalink)
    hockeyjx

How do I find this drum map for my TD9? Is it only availablle in AD?

Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:How to record Electric Drum set using midi? 2011/01/13 02:10:17 (permalink)
    Do a search on the internet to see if someone has built one you can import, otherwise you will have to do this.

Also, when tracking drums from a midi kit, use the midi kit module for monitoring and bring in a feed from your computer. Your module will accept a stereo feed in (may have to buy an adapter). This way you can monitor the song from the DAW but listen through headphones attached to the Roland module. Voila! No latency. Once you have your midi part recorded, then you can use the software in the computer to monitor the drum part you recorded in midi.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    VigilantSound
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 474
    Re:How to record Electric Drum set using midi? 2011/01/13 06:48:59 (permalink)
    If you use session drummer its already mapped for a roland kit...

And just about all drum software has maps for Roland kits, they are the originals after all...

Also, make sure you turn of local control on the module or don't plug the module's outs into anything your monitoring with... , otherwise you will here both the software and the modules sounds.

Not to Contradict middleman, his method is good for no latency but, I prefer to here the sounds from the synth, they usually sound better, and Ive never really had latency problems with midi..

And make sure your midi tracks source input is set to omni and make sure you have the track selected.
    post edited by VigilantSound - 2011/01/13 07:02:06

ASUS P5BV-C, Intel Core 2 Quad 2.8 Ghz, Q9300,
    4 gigs Ram, Win7-64 bit OSX 10.6
    ADK 9000 I7, 6 gigs Ram, MacBookPro I7, 4 gigs Ram
    MOTU 828Mk3, MOTU microbookII
    SONAR PE X2A, Pro Tools 9.0.6, StudioOnePro 2.5.4
    Ableton Live 9, Waves V.9, 

www.jesseahemmanuel.com

chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:How to record Electric Drum set using midi? 2011/01/13 08:46:59 (permalink)
    i had the same prob connecting an alesis sr 16.i down loaded a free asio driver and it care of it..now its awesome
    sharpdion23
    Re:How to record Electric Drum set using midi? 2011/01/13 13:11:19 (permalink)
    VigilantSound

If you use session drummer its already mapped for a roland kit...

And just about all drum software has maps for Roland kits, they are the originals after all...

Also, make sure you turn of local control on the module or don't plug the module's outs into anything your monitoring with... , otherwise you will here both the software and the modules sounds.

Not to Contradict middleman, his method is good for no latency but, I prefer to here the sounds from the synth, they usually sound better, and Ive never really had latency problems with midi..

And make sure your midi tracks source input is set to omni and make sure you have the track selected.
    http://i54.tinypic.com/257efzk.jpg
    I can't find my SPS OMNI....I think I am doing something wrong here, can someone tell me.....

Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:How to record Electric Drum set using midi? 2011/01/13 14:17:19 (permalink)
    VigilantSound

1. It's "contradict Middleman"

2. Let's step outside.

3. I agree with you, if you can get the latency down, it's more inspirational to hear the software sounds than the sound module. I am running wireless midi from the garage to the computer about 50 feet. Latency is an issue which is why I suggested this. If you can get your drumkit in the room with the computer, monitoring the software is much better. (I was kidding about number 2)

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    sharpdion23
    Re:How to record Electric Drum set using midi? 2011/01/13 14:58:03 (permalink)
    Middleman

VigilantSound

1. It's "contradict Middleman"

2. Let's step outside.

3. I agree with you, if you can get the latency down, it's more inspirational to hear the software sounds than the sound module. I am running wireless midi from the garage to the computer about 50 feet. Latency is an issue which is why I suggested this. If you can get your drumkit in the room with the computer, monitoring the software is much better. (I was kidding about number 2)

Yeah I do have them in same room...

sharpdion23
    Re:How to record Electric Drum set using midi? 2011/01/13 17:27:04 (permalink)
    Ok so I have Superior Drummer 2 for the closed Hi-Hats from what CJays recommended, and checked MIDI source, Synth Track Folder and All Synth Audio Outputs :Stereo.

How do I use my TD9 E. Drumset to record using Superior Drummer 2?

Now what do I do? I am stuck.. I can't hear from the synth when I click with my mouse on the drum heads. I am using the default drum kit. I also can't find the SPS MIDI OMNI for my  input source. What do I have to set my inputs and Outputs to?

Here are some screenshots of my ins and outs to help you chose which one is for me to use.
    IN:
    http://i52.tinypic.com/2j45a9z.jpg

OUT:
    http://i54.tinypic.com/33jtpjd.jpg

and I got this problem and don't know what to do. I think this might be the problem as to why my drums are not sounding when I click on them.
    http://i55.tinypic.com/24lsfuf.jpg

Man is it hard to be new at this!!

Thanks for the replies
    post edited by sharpdion23 - 2011/01/13 17:30:22

CJaysMusic
    Re:How to record Electric Drum set using midi? 2011/01/13 17:38:06 (permalink)
    You do not change any of your tracks inputs or outputs after you set it up. So dont change those, as soanr sets them up for you.

Make sure the MIDI ins are defined (checked) in sonar, in options/MIDI
    and make sure you have the MIDI out of your TD9 going into the MIDI in of your SPS.
    Them make sure you set up multiple out in superior drummer 2 and load a kit. Maye load a kit first, then set up multiple outs in the mixer section of superior 2.
    Then it will work

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    sharpdion23
    Re:How to record Electric Drum set using midi? 2011/01/13 19:56:08 (permalink)
    CJaysMusic

You do not change any of your tracks inputs or outputs after you set it up. So dont change those, as soanr sets them up for you.

Make sure the MIDI ins are defined (checked) in sonar, in options/MIDI
    and make sure you have the MIDI out of your TD9 going into the MIDI in of your SPS.
    Them make sure you set up multiple out in superior drummer 2 and load a kit. Maye load a kit first, then set up multiple outs in the mixer section of superior 2.
    Then it will work
    Ok so I did what you said.

Did not change ins and outs
    my midi was checked
    my td9 was going to my SPS
    I loaded a kit and then set multiple out to different tracks

But I still can't Preview the drum sounds.

Although when I hit the E drums, it shows on the Superior Drummer (still no sound)

CJaysMusic
    Re:How to record Electric Drum set using midi? 2011/01/13 20:08:05 (permalink)
    Lets start over. Have you ever been able to get any sounds at all?Audio or midi?

I think you should go through the tutoriual that are in the help files and whatch the video on setting up your sound card/interface. That video is in the stickies in this room or the sonar producer room.

Having a basic understanding of how things work will help you 10 fold.
    If i was you, thats what I would do. And i was you at one time..

Audio Blog
    sharpdion23
    Re:How to record Electric Drum set using midi? 2011/01/13 20:29:44 (permalink)
    CJaysMusic

Lets start over. Have you ever been able to get any sounds at all?Audio or midi?

I think you should go through the tutoriual that are in the help files and whatch the video on setting up your sound card/interface. That video is in the stickies in this room or the sonar producer room.

Having a basic understanding of how things work will help you 10 fold.
    If i was you, thats what I would do. And i was you at one time..
    Yeah I have audio working and midi. I have recorded audio and midi with keyboards, just not drums.

I just recently used SI Drums with KEYBOARD.

and my Session Drummer 3 I was able to preview the sounds, just not in Superior Drummer 2

sharpdion23
    Re:How to record Electric Drum set using midi? 2011/01/13 23:10:25 (permalink)
    Also the Toontrack solo, where the superior drummer 2 is not with cakewalk, rather a standalone, I can preview to drums. Only when it is in cakewalk that I cannot preview these drums

VigilantSound
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 474
    Re:How to record Electric Drum set using midi? 2011/01/13 23:11:39 (permalink)
    sharpdion23

Ok so I have Superior Drummer 2 for the closed Hi-Hats from what CJays recommended, and checked MIDI source, Synth Track Folder and All Synth Audio Outputs :Stereo.

How do I use my TD9 E. Drumset to record using Superior Drummer 2?

Now what do I do? I am stuck.. I can't hear from the synth when I click with my mouse on the drum heads. I am using the default drum kit. I also can't find the SPS MIDI OMNI for my  input source. What do I have to set my inputs and Outputs to?

Here are some screenshots of my ins and outs to help you chose which one is for me to use.
    IN:
    http://i52.tinypic.com/2j45a9z.jpg

OUT:
    http://i54.tinypic.com/33jtpjd.jpg

and I got this problem and don't know what to do. I think this might be the problem as to why my drums are not sounding when I click on them.
    http://i55.tinypic.com/24lsfuf.jpg

Man is it hard to be new at this!!

Thanks for the replies

Those pictures are from an audio track?

You need a midi track, set inputs to omni on the midi track or instrument track, It shouldn't be this hard, its already set up, just insert an instrument track for session drummer 3 and you should be good to go..

ASUS P5BV-C, Intel Core 2 Quad 2.8 Ghz, Q9300,
    4 gigs Ram, Win7-64 bit OSX 10.6
    ADK 9000 I7, 6 gigs Ram, MacBookPro I7, 4 gigs Ram
    MOTU 828Mk3, MOTU microbookII
    SONAR PE X2A, Pro Tools 9.0.6, StudioOnePro 2.5.4
    Ableton Live 9, Waves V.9, 

www.jesseahemmanuel.com

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1