How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
samhoff
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 304
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/17 13:50:15 (permalink)
Awesome links Joe,

Thanks,

Sam
krizrox
Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4046
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/17 14:00:01 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: samhoff

Wow, everyone, thanks for all the great input.

Got to thinking about a couple more questions, specifically, what are "needs" as I do this. Do I "need" to have a bar code on my CD's? Do I "need" to register them somehow with CDDB? Do I "need" to have the words "copyright 2007" on both the CD and the cover somewhere? How about words like "produced by" or the cost per CD? I have a hard time knowing what's optional and what's necessary; any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

Edit: One more thing: What's "4-color"? Is that the same as full-color? (I assume not)

You only need a UPC bar code if you're going to sell the CD's retail. Applying for a UPC bar code is expensive and time-consuming. You're better off going through a replicator to get one. They usually provide one in the overall cost of replication although some might charge a little extra for one. If you have a UPC bar code you can print it yourself assuming you have the software that can print one out.

You don't need to register with anyone other than as it pertains to copyright approval. But I would definitely look into getting an ISRC code. It doesn't cost anything. And if you do get an ISRC code you will need something like CD Architect in order to encode the ISRC code onto your copies (or the premaster disc you send out for duplication/replication). You should print "copyright" on everything but be sure to actually file for copyright approval (I assume this is original music)

Anything else is optional as far as I'm concerned. Look at some commercial CD's for examples. Consider putting your phone number, email address or MySpace/Website URL on everything too. You never know where these things end up.
post edited by krizrox - 2007/01/17 14:34:04

Larry Kriz
www.LnLRecording.com
www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
Joe Bravo
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1870
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/17 14:03:18 (permalink)
Hmm... well it's not as cheap as you think, but it is a little cheaper though. If you click on their pricing page and get the price for the same package as Short Run it's a bit more than the price you were quoting (which is for thinline jewl case etc.) If you get the full color CD with 4-panel insert and rear tray liner and a full sized jewl case shrink wrapped, it comes out to $319 for 100 units, as apposed to $375 at Short Run. So it's still cheaper but not quite the great price I was hoping for. But hey, thanks for posting it. That's still the deal to beat it in a short run of CD's it looks like.
earlwgreen
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 82
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/24 18:45:38 (permalink)
Hey guys! It's been a while since I've posted. Been busy getting my studio up. I just wanted to include a company I think I'll be using. Any comments?

http://www.kunaki.com/

It sounds great to me.

Earl Green
marcos69
Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4950
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/24 22:29:41 (permalink)
Why don't you enlist some of those many friends of yours to help burn (or print, or package). If you make 10 copies and give one each to 10 guys to make 10 copies etc. you can knock it out in no time.

I really like the songs by the way.
davestoy
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 419
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/27 07:12:00 (permalink)
I've been following this thread closely, as I do my own cd duplicating, packaging, etc. I currently use Taiyo Yuden CD's and card stock from Surething to complete the process. What I want to know is where can you find the gloss paper that was mentioned earlier for the packaging? Is this just gloss picture paper you would use for pictures? Is there some available that is "prescored" for folding? If I could find it, I would get some of it.

David

S8PE
WinXP SP3
P4 2.66 Dual Core Asus P5LD2
3 GB Ram
Radeon X300/X550 series dual video card
RME Multiface II
Mackie Onyx 800R Mic PreAmp
2 internal Glyph Seagate (80GB & 200gb)
1 external Maxtor 120GB HD (for backup)
Dynaudio BM5A
davestoy
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 419
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/28 14:01:25 (permalink)
Anybody?

S8PE
WinXP SP3
P4 2.66 Dual Core Asus P5LD2
3 GB Ram
Radeon X300/X550 series dual video card
RME Multiface II
Mackie Onyx 800R Mic PreAmp
2 internal Glyph Seagate (80GB & 200gb)
1 external Maxtor 120GB HD (for backup)
Dynaudio BM5A
jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/28 14:29:40 (permalink)
Edit: One more thing: What's "4-color"? Is that the same as full-color? (I assume not)

'4-colour' refers to 4-colour separation, printers separate a full colour image into degrees of cyan, magenta, yellow and black, when printed together they make up all the other colours.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
samhoff
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/05/04 16:04:27 (permalink)
I'm going to revive this thread for one quick question.

Someone told me the other day, "The CD and DVD burners that come with computers are only made to burn 200-300 CDs (or DVDs). After that the quality really starts to suffer. If you're going to burn CD's just let a professional do it."

Fact or fiction?

Thanks,

Sam
sdsicee
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/05/04 16:12:13 (permalink)

I'm going to revive this thread for one quick question.

Someone told me the other day, "The CD and DVD burners that come with computers are only made to burn 200-300 CDs (or DVDs). After that the quality really starts to suffer. If you're going to burn CD's just let a professional do it."

Fact or fiction?

Thanks,

Sam

It would be fact for me. I run a studio. After the first few hundred burns my sony cd burner started to make a serious decline in quality output. All the way until recently were it was downright unusable. Of course I have a cd burner and a dvd burner in one tower...one sony the other lg. Both received heavy usage and both became unreliable after about 6-7 months.

Burning cds yourself =
Getting Kunaki to do it =
droddey
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5147
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/05/04 16:43:40 (permalink)

Just in case anyone is interested in such things.... There are two primary color schemes use for creating color output, subtractive and additive. Additive color starts with black and adds colors, combining usually red, green, and blue colors (the colors for which we specifically have receptors in our eyes) to create the other colors. Subtractive color starts with a white background and then puts something over it that prevents certain colors from bouncing off the white background (white includes all the colors.) So things like paper, which depend on reflected light, use subtractive color on a white substrate and prevent some colors from reflecting, and things like monitors, which put out their own light, use a black background and depend on additive color to create all the colors.

Your color printer probably uses the CYMK color scheme mentioned above.

Any particular set of colors you use (whether additive or substractive) will have a particular 'color gamut', which defines all of the colors it can create by mixing the basic colors it has in its palette. It also depends on how saturated each of the colors can be made as well and the fundamental frequency of the basic palette colors. With substractive or additive, you can increase the color gamut by just adding another color (five color) or more than one, but I don't know of any common devices that use more than RGB additive. The color gamut is usually presented as an image like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:CIExy1931_srgb_gamut.png

This layout allows you to find the position of the basic colors, and then the color gamut is defined by the straight lines between them (I'm simplifying but that's basically it.) The more area coved, the larger the gamut, and of course if you add a fourth or fifth color, then you go from a triangle to a square to a pentagon and cover more and more area.

post edited by droddey - 2007/05/04 20:31:49

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com
Joe Bravo
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/05/04 18:36:36 (permalink)
I don't think I've yet burned 300 CD's or DVD's either one on any burner I've ever owned, so I don't know yet. Although I probably have burned more than 300 CD's on the one I have now if you count CD'-RWs where I only burned one or two songs to test in the car or something. Obviously burning just a song or two won't wear out a burner as fast.
serauk
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 158
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/05/05 09:48:00 (permalink)
Sam - I hope not, as I passed the 200 mark recently making various types of CDs and DVDs on my current burner - haven't noticed any problems yet, except that people still try to play CDRs on 10 year old CD players....

CMWright
rumleymusic
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1533
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/05/07 12:49:24 (permalink)
I have burned hundreds of CD on my Plextor 716A without any loss of quality. For duplication I use a telex automated tower and that has seen thousands of cd's with one asus burner. So far I only have about one unusable CD in 200. (I use TY only).

What I want to know is where can you find the gloss paper that was mentioned earlier for the packaging? Is this just gloss picture paper you would use for pictures? Is there some available that is "prescored" for folding? If I could find it, I would get some of it.

For tray cards and such, I don't have to worry too much because one of my inlaws have a printing business and I get things at cost (kinda nice). But they usually get their glossy paper from a wholesaler like Kelly Paper.
rumleymusic
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/05/07 12:52:05 (permalink)
BTW I think the key is to keep the burners working.

Products like CD drives and printers are meant to have a steady output and usuage. They tend to malfunction after periods of non-use.
diamondjim
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 241
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/05/09 12:43:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ognis

Short Run looks awesome.

And very, very expensive for some reason.

Expensive Indeed. Check out http://www.diskfaktory.com, they have better short run prices. I have used them for 6 projects so far with good results.

-+ http://www.barnjazz.com +-
pcAudioLabs Core2 Duo E6600 2.6GHz, 4 Gig Ram, Plextor DVD/CD writers, RME FF800, Tascam FW-1884, Frontier Tranzport, JBL LSR4328P monitors, UAD-1, Sonar 6 PE, Wavelab 6, Harbal, Ozone3, BFD, Rapture, Project5, DimP
samhoff
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/06/11 15:27:18 (permalink)
Hello again everyone,

Please look over my timetable:

1. Record the music
2. Get rid of the glitches
3. Send CD off to get mastered
4. When I get the CD back, rip the WAV’s onto my hard drive and use these to burn copies (I currently use Sonic)
5. Register CD with CD baby
6. Send copy of CD and $45 to copyright office with form SR
7. Print my covers, including the phrases “Available at CD Baby” on them (I don’t have a directory on CD Baby yet, so presumably they just search for it there), also include "(c) 2007" on everything
8. Burn my CD’s (side note: I was going to pay someone but just discovered my church has a 10 CD replicator (or is it duplicator) so I may just do that now with Taiyo Yudens?) (Or I may still send them off, I’m unsure, thoughts?)
9. Send 5 copies to CD Baby
10. Try to sell other copies locally or give them away to family and friends

I am foregoing a barcode. Perhaps my only other issue is the ISRC code, which I do not have, nor do I have CD architect. Is it worth the money to buy it for this one project?

What else should I do, and in what order please? Is there another place besides CD Baby I should be involved in? (Remember it's pretty quiet, relaxing New Age piano if that helps at all).

Thanks everyone,

Sam
diamondjim
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 241
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/06/11 16:48:55 (permalink)

3. Send CD off to get mastered
4. When I get the CD back, rip the WAV’s onto my hard drive and use these to burn copies (I currently use Sonic)

If you are going to burn the files yourself, why rip them onto the hard drive? Use a CD copy program. If you want them on your hard drive as separate files, it would be better to send the 2-track mixes to the mastering house via ftp or on CD as a data disk with 24-bit/44.1 khz .wav files. Have the mastering house return then as 16 bit individual files. I would avoid having to rip, as this is an extra conversion step. If you are using Sonic Solutions, or any other CD burner (e.g. Wavelab), then having the individual files allows you to sequence and space them as you want before burning a final.

However most mastering houses will send back a CD master ready for replication or pressing, with the gaps and fades already in place. You will want to just use that as a replication master (make several safety copies before doing that).

5. Register CD with CD baby
6. Send copy of CD and $45 to copyright office with form SR
7. Print my covers, including the phrases “Available at CD Baby” on them (I don’t have a directory on CD Baby yet, so presumably they just search for it there), also include "(c) 2007" on everything

You can create your CD Baby account before you send them a CD. That will give you a complete URL. You will want that on your CD back if possible, e.g. "http://CDBaby.Com/myartistname"

I always use a copyright like (c) 2007 [my name or music company] ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WORLDWIDE

8. Burn my CD’s (side note: I was going to pay someone but just discovered my church has a 10 CD replicator (or is it duplicator) so I may just do that now with Taiyo Yudens?) (Or I may still send them off, I’m unsure, thoughts?)

I have gone both ways, but found the best, cheapest, and most reliable way in the long run is to send out for limited run replication.
You can get 50 copies in sleeves, printed and shrink-wrapped, for around $50-$75, last time I checked. If you want jewel case and inserts, around $3.00 per for 100.

Doing it yourself:
1. Depends on the quality and reliability of the replicator
2. Does it print? Then you need special media, and I have found the white printed blanks to be less reliable than the T-Yudens.
3. You still have to print your own inserts, tray backs, and that is by far the MOST expensive part of DIY. I would avoid the DIY "kits". Getting everying to line up and print correctly is a real PITA, believe me, I have tried this many times and finally gave up.

9. Send 5 copies to CD Baby
10. Try to sell other copies locally or give them away to family and friends

I am foregoing a barcode. Perhaps my only other issue is the ISRC code, which I do not have, nor do I have CD architect. Is it worth the money to buy it for this one project?

You will need a barcode for CD Baby and for retail stores, e.g Borders. If you don't do it yourself, CD Baby will stick one on your cd cover for an extra charge. If you send out for replication the house should be able to provide a bar code for about $45 or so. It looks much more professional. Your back cover design should allow space for it. Printing guidelines available at the replication site will show how much space to leave, or provide a dummy barcode graphic to insert into the image.

You don't need ISRC for doing your own distribution, nor does CD baby require it. The only way to get them in there is to be registered as a record label, as far as I know.

What else should I do, and in what order please? Is there another place besides CD Baby I should be involved in? (Remember it's pretty quiet, relaxing New Age piano if that helps at all).

CD Baby can get you onto I-Tunes and other online sites. There a others but I would start there. They are reasonable in terms of their cut.

Have a release party, announce it by mail with special pre-release price that is only available at the party (knock of a couple of bucks). Send out an email blast to everyone you know. I was able to sell > 50 copies of my last release to friends and coworkers just by making a special price for them and then announcing it with a nice printed post card. Give out promo copies to anyone who is connected with music and who could help you. E.g. I know several DJ's on the local community radio station who are more than willing to play tracks on the air.

Best of luck, Sam!

-+ http://www.barnjazz.com +-
pcAudioLabs Core2 Duo E6600 2.6GHz, 4 Gig Ram, Plextor DVD/CD writers, RME FF800, Tascam FW-1884, Frontier Tranzport, JBL LSR4328P monitors, UAD-1, Sonar 6 PE, Wavelab 6, Harbal, Ozone3, BFD, Rapture, Project5, DimP
samhoff
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/06/13 22:08:05 (permalink)
Ok, another quick question.

I was to send my CD to an (unnamed) friend for him to Master. I just took the Wav's (at 16 not 24) and burned them as an audio CD. He is now asking if I should, instead, put them on the CD as data, because they were dithered. What does this mean? Is it important? So I can either send him a new CD (data not audio) or he can rip from the CD he has. I understand the former option would be better, but (1) why and (2) how MUCH better? 2% better or 98% better?

Thanks,

Sam
rumleymusic
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/06/13 22:25:24 (permalink)
The information on a CD-A and a Data CD with wave files is pretty much the same as far as audio goes. Your friend probably wants 24 bit wav files that have not been dithered down to 16 bits. If your files were at any point 24 bits you should send him those and let him add dither to take the audio down to 16 bits. If your files were 16 bits to begin with and you added processing like reverb or eq, you should still export the audio to 24 bits because those processes add additional word length.

BTW. Dithering, as it is so frequently discussed, is noise added to a signal that will increase its resolution and reduce quantization distortion when reducing bit depth. It is generally agreed that you do not want to go through this process more than once because the noise might become noticable.
j boy
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2729
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/06/14 11:36:01 (permalink)
I believe that tunecore will burn your CD's on-demand, that is, you send them the masters and they produce only what someone orders. That would seem to be a more-efficient 21st-century paradigm. I would advise against trying to gauge your demand in advance... the whole drink coaster thing.

Been there.
samhoff
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/06/14 15:23:28 (permalink)
Ok, so tunecore looks interesting, but it appears to conflict with CD Baby. Which do I choose?

Sam
j boy
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/06/14 21:25:19 (permalink)

Ok, so tunecore looks interesting, but it appears to conflict with CD Baby. Which do I choose?

Sam

Do some research and be careful when it comes to CD Baby. I think they make you sign away some rights in return for their services, that you don't want to sign away. I think tunecore is more reasonable in that regard.
Joe Bravo
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/06/14 23:18:14 (permalink)
Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! CDBaby is the best thing going for musicians on the damned Internet. You don't sign a blessed thing away with them. Been using them for over a year now. They've gotten me a lot of sales I never would have had on my own, much of it through iTunes and similar digital download carriers. Derek's the man.
ParanoiA
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 747
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/06/15 09:53:39 (permalink)
Ok, I've got a stupid question to add...

What constitutes a 4-panel? Is that basically one strip of paper, or card, folded in half? Creating essentially 4 sides to print on? Or is that 4 pages, 8 total sides to print on? Somehow I think I know the answer to this...

I'm not sure I could fit all the lyrics on two sides, the insides.

Also, does replication require larger runs, or is it just that it's usually not economically sensible unless you're doing larger runs? Might sound silly, but I like the idea of replication over duplication, but I could never move a thousand CD's, or even 500 for that matter - maybe not even a hundred.

I like the idea of replicating about 50 cd's. Even if it's more expensive per cd, it's more feasible than letting go of hundreds, or thousands of dollars, for me anyway. I'm a poor bastard...
j boy
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/06/15 13:15:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Joe Bravo

Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! CDBaby is the best thing going for musicians on the damned Internet. You don't sign a blessed thing away with them. Been using them for over a year now. They've gotten me a lot of sales I never would have had on my own, much of it through iTunes and similar digital download carriers. Derek's the man.

Well, maybe you checked that little "I Agree" box without reading the fine print.

Seriously, I read this in an article in EQ magazine. It's quite enlightening, and tunecore sounds like the better deal.... check it out: http://www.eqmag.com/story.asp?sectioncode=36&storycode=15646
sabiticus
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/06/15 13:38:35 (permalink)
Hmmmm.... You have me looking at TuneCore, now!
ParanoiA
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 747
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/06/15 15:40:59 (permalink)
Man, Tunecore looks pretty damn good. I don't have much experience with this though. I checked out CD Baby, and while you can purchase directly from their site as well as the digital download stores, they continue to take proceeds sale after sale. Tunecore only charges for the initial delivery to the store - Itunes, Rhapsody and etc. But, it doesn't appear you can purchase anything directly from Tunecore - music that is.

Original: j boy

Seriously, I read this in an article in EQ magazine. It's quite enlightening, and tunecore sounds like the better deal.... check it out: http://www.eqmag.com/story.asp?sectioncode=36&storycode=15646

One thing though...the article talks about "print-on-demand" and how the publisher handles the transaction and shipping of physical CD's. That sounds great, except when I went to Tunecore's site, they appear to only be providing a low-run CD duplication service - not handling the duplication on-demand from customers.

Unless I'm missing something, I thought the idea behind "print-on-demand" was that folks could choose to purchase the CD and Tunecore would handle printing it, shipping it and taking the money. And you'd never touch the CD yourself.

Whatever the case, it does look like a great idea. And not having to sign away certain rights feels more secure to me, also.
sabiticus
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/06/15 16:10:45 (permalink)
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't find on TuneCore's site where they offer print on demand or physical distribution of any sort. They will print up a run of 1000+. CD Baby does handle phsyical distribution, and while I wouldn't use CD Baby for promotion, I would use them for physical distribution. I would use TuneCore for digital distribution, as their payment plan looks better than CD Baby's.
samhoff
RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/06/15 21:57:50 (permalink)
Okay.... so you guys aren't necessarily making this any easier for me, but I just checked with my album at CD Baby (I'd already paid the $35) and it looks like you can choose to sign up/not sign up with the digital distribution. So.... I guess I don't sign up for digital distribution with them, but I do sign up for it with Tunecore. Sound like a plan?

One of my problems is how to print the covers without knowing FOR SURE what's going on. I mean, I guess I print on the covers "Find my music at CDBaby and download it at ITunes" and then I just make sure that those two things are in place before I ever sell (okay, give away, really) the first bunch. Right?

For what it's worth, this is not correct:

You can create your CD Baby account before you send them a CD. That will give you a complete URL. You will want that on your CD back if possible, e.g. "http://CDBaby.Com/myartistname"

I've looked. It's not there. I'm assuming (hoping) it doesn't get there until they have an album in hand (?).

One last question I'll ask again: Do you all bother doing the copyright step or just forego it?
Sam
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1