How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
samhoff
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 304
2007/01/15 11:22:31 (permalink)

How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD

I assume there are a number of places to do it online. Somewhere that I can just send a master CD and for a given amount (hopefully, oh, $1.00 each? Possibly up to $5?) they'll burn a whole bunch of them and mail them back. What are the options and what's included in the price?

I've been burning them myself at home, and, while I don't mind, I'm looking for something a little more professional/a little less work.

I'm thinking they'll be presents for friends, etc.

Thanks,

Sam

86 Replies Related Threads

krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/15 11:28:07 (permalink)
    I assume you're asking this because you don't have a replicator in your neck of the woods?

If you check Discmakers or www.productionpro.com you will get examples of duplication costs and options. Just an observation though - at 500 pieces you're going to be very close in price to what you could get with a glass-master replicated disc which would include booklets, cases, etc. If you're going to spend that kind of money, consider moving up to a replicated disc. Just a suggestion. It pays to shop around.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    serauk
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 158
    RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/15 11:44:47 (permalink)
    Sam - you must have a lot of friends

If you have someone local to go to I would personally recommend that approach: faster turnaround, someone you can talk to before and after the sale, etc. You didn't mention it, so I don't know if you just want CD duplication or if you want the whole package. In either case, you should be aware that what you'll be getting for a 'short run' is just CD-R duplication. I think there's quite a few places that can do just the CD for about $1 or less per CD, but then you still have to package it. If all your doing is stuffing a disk in a sleeve, then that's probably good enough. If you plan on selling it, you need to go with a larger package. There's a lot of options out there, but the main thing to remember is these people are out to make money, so be sure and check everything your signing up for. You can end up paying for stuff that you hadn't planned on. For example, you'll see a lot of places that will take your finished artwork and make the insert for you. What you might miss is that if they have to alter your artwork in anyway, you're gonna pay for it, in addition to any other fixed fees. Unless you've already got your bar code, that's where most of the 'alterations' are made. In general its worth the money they charge, but if you weren't aware there would be that charge it can be a bit of a surprise.

A 500 disc commerical run will cost anywhere from $700-$1000. What's included in the price? Printing a tray card (usually 4 color) and a 4 panel (1 fold) insert, also usually 4 color. Most places only give you monochrome CD label printed directly to the disc, and of course, the CD-R itself. A jewel case and shrinkwrap complete the package. The turnaround on this kind of job is usually a couple of days (if done with someone local) to a week or more (if you have to mail things off).

Options range from complete artwork design, larger inserts (up to 6 or 8 panel is still relatively cheap, but after that it gets pretty expensive, because then they become booklets that need assembly and stapling), color on-disc printing, bar-code assignment and online registration (usually CDDB).

Most places only do full color on-disc printing if you have a glass master made, which usually only happens if you want a run of at least 1000 copies. You also get a better quality of disc as a result (and the overall packaging is higher quality too). One thing to remember about that is turn around for these kind of jobs is usually a week minimum since most places you'll find locally have to ship your project somewhere else to get it completed.

BTW - the turnaround times I'm mentioning assume you have no glitches with the artwork or the production.

Sorry for being so long-winded - hope at least some of the info is helpful to you and not just a bunch of wild rambling - good luck with the project

CMWright
    samhoff
    RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/15 16:57:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: krizrox

- at 500 pieces you're going to be very close in price to what you could get with a glass-master replicated disc which would include booklets, cases, etc. If you're going to spend that kind of money, consider moving up to a replicated disc.

Well, you certainly lost me there. You're talking to a guy who just recently found out that Mp3's at 128 are not "CD quality" (I always thought they were!). So, what's a "glass master" and a "replicated disc"? And, yes, they're for friends and family but I hope to sell a few as well, likely online, possibly in town, and wouldn't mind having a couple to send out as demos just for fun. . . $1000 investment doesn't scare me too much but I wouldn't want to spend much more.

And since I brought up the mp3 issue . . . I save all my music as WAV's at 44.1, right?

Thanks for all the help and advice both krizrox and serauk!

Sam
    serauk
    RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/15 17:34:02 (permalink)
    well I probably ought to let Larry answer this because he probably knows more about it than I do - but the main difference between duplicated and replicated is that a duplicated CD is just that: you take a CD and copy it a CD-R, just like you do at home, whereas a replicated disc is like the ones made by the major (and not-so-major) manufacturers... I'm not sure of the replication process details, but it yields a higher quality CD than CD-R technology does. Because of the extra expense of creating them, the usual price point is 1,000 CDs or more so that when you sell them you make a profit. Haven't done any recent research into it, but a couple of years ago a thousand CDs retail ready ran about $2,000 up... once the glass master is made subsequent runs were cheaper.... I've heard there are places doing it for a lot less, but can't verify - Larry?

And don't worry - my first CD I sent MP3s to the production guys... after they finished laughing they set me straight... I'm a musician, not an audio engineer (although I'm learning from sheer necessity!!!)

CMWright
    krizrox
    RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/15 18:03:02 (permalink)
    Yeah sometimes we get all caught up with fancy words and syntax.

Duplication is the formal term for making copies on plain ol' CD-R discs.

Replication refers to the commercial CD's which are basically stamped from a mold (commonly refered to as a glass-master). The process used to create a replicated CD is quite involved which is why most places typically only quote runs of a thousand pieces or more (although I have seen some places quoting runs of 500 - check around).

Most of the replicating places I'm aware of charge somewhere's in the neighborhood of $1 - $1.50 per disc (assuming a thousand piece order) and that usually includes the jewel case, 4 page color booklet, tray liner (the card behind the CD tray), silkscreened image on the CD itself, UPC bar code and shrink-wrapped (or probably more accurately called "overwrap"). If you're paying more than that you're either getting ripped off or you are paying for some additional artwork or multi-page booklet insert. The books can be the most expensive part of the puzzle depending on how many pages you want and the amount of artwork setup.

Pricing can vary wildly. It pays to read the fine print as some companies tend to hide the options and then spring that all on you at the last minute.

Duplication costs can vary too. Some companies will print color on the top of the CD's - some won't. You have to check or call and ask but the cost to duplicate can run from a buck up to $4 each depending on the quantity and the other options. That's why I said if you're considering a 500 piece run, think carefully. It might actually be cheaper to order a thousand pieces of a replicated glass-master CD (which is the preferred type of CD to have). CD-R's aren't as robust as a commercial CD. It's just something to consider. The real question is: can you move a thousand pieces? That's a lot of product to be sitting on.

Discmakers is probably one of the more expensive places to go but their quality is top notch. Also look at Oasis. They are good too. But I think if you search around the web, you'll find lot's of companies and prices and options. I tend to prefer to deal with companies with a proven track record. Too many things can go wrong in the process.

Oh, by the way - Discmakers (much to my surprise) allows you to send in MP3's for replication/duplication. It's hidden somewhere on their website but you just upload the MP3's and place the order. I guess they figured it was a good option if you needed something quick and weren't overly concerned about the sound quality. A well-made MP3 doesn't have to be terrible and I'll bet the average listener probably wouldn't even know the difference

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    samhoff
    RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/15 22:22:37 (permalink)
    Great information, thanks so much. And, yes, the question truly is "What the heck am I going to do with the 800 after I give away 190 and sell 10?" I don't know the answer to that question. But much of what you've said makes sense to me, as even I have noticed that CD-R's don't hold up as well as professional CD's. . . .

Hmm. . . . Part of the equation is (1) how aggressive do I want to market these babies (not very, really, perhaps a web site with samples of my music) and (2) how much demand is there for quiet, New Age type piano music (Is there any at all?). Perhaps I should burn them at home (at first), make a web site, try to sell some, and if it really starts to "take off" and I get a lot of demand then make a run of them. And if it doesn't take off, well, then, I'll just have saved myself a grand and a fair bit of headache (not to mention the embarassment of having 800 of these suckers laying around the house).

Thanks, I still welcome any comments/advice but have learned a lot from this thread already, the style of music I'm talking about (should you care) is here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=440467

Sam

Maxprizm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/15 23:42:02 (permalink)
    I checked out your tunes and they are simply great. Very relaxing, great musicianship. 1000 cd's is alot to start off with without some sort of plan though. If it isnt being heard then it isnt being sold. Wich brings us to marketing, advertising, finding your target audience and connecting with them. There is a limitless amount of info written about how to do this, but I think different things work for different people. Most people either A, get signed to a label that will support them (ie, market/advertise) or, B, spend your own $$ to put your stuff out there anywhere and everywhere you can. I think you have the right idea of starting off burning your own and see where it takes you. If the demand takes off the supply is easy to come by.

I had a guy that wanted to buy 120 copies of a cd I am workin on, but it isnt anywhere near finished. If it were though, I probably would have gone to a local studio around here and had them burn 150 or 200 and sent them to him. When you start getting chain stores or online retailers calling you for copies then its time to anti up. Just my two sense.
    Good luck to you!

Ed Edge

krizrox
    RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/16 09:19:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: samhoff

Great information, thanks so much. And, yes, the question truly is "What the heck am I going to do with the 800 after I give away 190 and sell 10?"

Exactly the problem. I've lost count how many bands went that route only to break up 6 months later. Now someone has a bunch of expensive beer coasters sitting in the basement

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com

serauk
    RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/16 09:35:32 (permalink)
    You're right, Larry, that's the real question. Not "how do I make 500 copies" but "how do I get rid of 500 copies" - one of my (ex)bandmates still has about 200 copies of our album made when we were 'the next big thing' right before our main guy moved to Dallas... We had made 100 on the cheap (duplication from one place, card/insert printing somewhere else, we bought the jewel cases and assembled it all ourselves) and sold them all the next 2 gigs. So we 'splurged': still no glass master, but 500 copies already assembled and wrapped... And we sold an average of 50 per gig... we were actually considering sending it out somwhere for a full run when he told us 'oh by the way this is my last gig'... wasn't quite that bad but sounded like it...

CMWright
    Ognis
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5129
    RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/16 10:30:53 (permalink)
    Just got in the mail the other day, that DiscMakers has droped their price on per 1,000 CD's. They are doing 1,000 CD's in jewl cases for $1,099. (I think it was 1,300, or so before).

Cant tell ya how to get rid of them though
    post edited by Ognis - 2007/01/16 10:51:17
    samhoff
    RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/16 10:38:37 (permalink)
    I suspect, even in my case, that "ego" plays in there somewhere ("I mean, I'm so good, how can I not sell these buggers?". And greed. ("Dude, when I start doing the math, so I make 1000 and sell them them for 15,000 then I've made $12,500!"). I think I need a good dose of realism and thank you guys for providing it.

If I burn my own CD's someone suggested an Asian sounding one, which I can't find here. Do I have to order them online? I've been just using Memorex or something but I want to burn the best.

Thanks,

Sam
    Ognis
    RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/16 10:46:06 (permalink)
    You could always buy something like these

http://www.discmakers.com/duplicators/products/automated/index.asp
    serauk
    RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/16 11:05:49 (permalink)
    Sam - reality bites sometimes, but it almost always saves you money

almost any good quality CD-R ought to be okay - stay away from off-brand or re-brand - for example, GQ is not 'Great Quality' regardless of the adverts... I've been using Verbatim for over a year now and haven't had any real problems (although my daughter claims her friends car stereo doesn't like them)... I've used Memorex music discs and several other brands - the only ones I've ever had problems with were GQ and CompUSA branded discs.
    post edited by serauk - 2007/01/16 11:25:37

CMWright
    krizrox
    RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/16 11:44:01 (permalink)

If I burn my own CD's someone suggested an Asian sounding one, which I can't find here. Do I have to order them online? I've been just using Memorex or something but I want to burn the best.

Thanks,

Sam

Taiyo Yuden brand is generally regarded as being the best and that's what I've been using for a while now with no problems to report at all. You can find them here:

http://www.allmediaoutlet.com/allmedia/index.jsp?bcc

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com

Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/16 16:22:50 (permalink)
    I haven't tried them yet, but CDBaby has always recommended a couple of different places for duplication purposes and one that looks really promising that a lot of guys have been using for short runs on CDr's is actually a company called Short Run Music. How's that for the perfect name? They'll do short runs of as few as 10-CDr's w/four color inserts and shrink wrapped for $5 apiece. A hundred are $3.75 each. If you're willing to go with black n white it's a dollar cheaper. And they coat the CDr's with enamel after printing them, which is supposed to keep them in better shape and keep them from getting scratched so easily. It sounds like a pretty good deal. I'm definitely gonna try 'em next time.
    samhoff
    RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/16 16:33:47 (permalink)
    Short Run looks awesome. I'll give it a go and let you know how it turns out (er, well, it could well be 3 months or so . . . )

Thanks,

Sam
    Ognis
    RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/16 16:49:26 (permalink)
    Short Run looks awesome.

And very, very expensive for some reason.
    samhoff
    RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/16 18:21:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Ognis

Short Run looks awesome.

And very, very expensive for some reason.

Well, now that you mention it . . . I was thinking 200 was a nice number but that runs $710 which is not too far from the $1000 or so needed for 1000 elsewhere.

I just ordered a bunch of Taiyo Yuden and will just do that for a while.

Thanks everyone,

Sam
    Joe Bravo
    RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/16 19:00:47 (permalink)
    Yeah, they are expensive, but I was figuring that I'd order 50 which would set me back $200, at $4 bucks each (shipping included), and if I sold them for $12 each, I'd still clear $600 before taxes. And if I did a couple of short runs of 50 for a total of 100 CD's and a total cash layout of $400, I would make $1,200 from sales. That would pay for the cost of ordering real replicated CD's thereafter. I figure it's better to start small though in case you're stuck with a bunch of CD's you can't get rid of, which as Larry said, happens a lot to people.

On a different note, I've actually sold quite a bit more through iTunes digital downloads than I have of regular CD's through CDBaby (and their affiliates like Amazon). I've sold several single downloads of my Secret Agent Man cover at a buck each or thereabouts. Somebody actually bought the entire album through digital downloads the other day. I couldn't believe it. You get a small break on the price that way, (I think it's $9 to buy the entire record through downloads), but for just a couple of dollars more they could have had an actual CD in their hands. Times are a changing I reckon....
    krizrox
    RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/16 20:01:58 (permalink)
    Just a footnote: the cost to DIY (blank CDs, jewel cases, Neato label stock and ink jet cartridges) is going to cost you somewhere around $2 per CD. I know because that has been my cost to get materials in the door for the past 5-6 years. Again, the biggest burden is the ink and paper materials. A set of ink jet cartridges for my Epson printer is around $60-$70. They drain fast when printing booklets, inserts and CD labels

The price fluctuates if you are printing directly on top of the CD (either ink jet or what's that other laser technology... I forgot what it's called). And then factor in the time to burn and print (let's say a 8 hours to do a hundred pieces). And also misprints. Your printer doesn't print properly and you need to do a clean and align (grrrr). Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it but I suppose it might be if you need smaller runs. At least you're in control of the process and can roll your own when you need to.

Oh and don't be surprised if you order bulk quantities of jewel cases and many are scratched or broken.

It's never easy is it
    post edited by krizrox - 2007/01/16 20:24:02

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com

serauk
    RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/16 20:22:38 (permalink)
    Right on, Larry! the price point I look for is about $2.50/CD or less - but Joe has the right idea - sometimes you start small and work your way up - the 'profit' from the first batch pays for a larger next batch, and so on - assuming you don't saturate your market, you can make a little bit of coin. Of course you have to figure in studio time, equipment, supplies, etc. and your profit margin shrinks - but that's why we all have home studios, right?

CMWright
    Joe Bravo
    RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/16 22:17:31 (permalink)
    I've got one of those newer Epson printers that will print directly on the CD and it works great and prints reasonably quick. I'm not sure what the ink's costing me though, probably a bundle. So it may not be worth it in the end. Shrink wrapping is another hurdle, or at least one I haven't figured out how to do yet. If some enterprising young guy came up with a good, quick, cheap way for people like us to shrink wrap our own stuff, he could sure make a lot of money.
    krizrox
    RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/17 10:07:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Joe Bravo

I've got one of those newer Epson printers that will print directly on the CD and it works great and prints reasonably quick. I'm not sure what the ink's costing me though, probably a bundle. So it may not be worth it in the end. Shrink wrapping is another hurdle, or at least one I haven't figured out how to do yet. If some enterprising young guy came up with a good, quick, cheap way for people like us to shrink wrap our own stuff, he could sure make a lot of money.

I honestly think shrinkwrapping is a waste of time and money if all you're going to do is hand them out to friends or sell a few at shows. Shrinkwrapping is simply an anti-theft solution for retail sales. I suppose a shrink-wrapped CD looks fresher

There are a lot of creative packaging options. Check out Uline for some interesting packaging options.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com

samhoff
    RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/17 10:23:34 (permalink)
    Wow, everyone, thanks for all the great input.

Got to thinking about a couple more questions, specifically, what are "needs" as I do this. Do I "need" to have a bar code on my CD's? Do I "need" to register them somehow with CDDB? Do I "need" to have the words "copyright 2007" on both the CD and the cover somewhere? How about words like "produced by" or the cost per CD? I have a hard time knowing what's optional and what's necessary; any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

Edit: One more thing: What's "4-color"? Is that the same as full-color? (I assume not)
    post edited by samhoff - 2007/01/17 10:43:54
    Ognis
    RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/17 11:31:25 (permalink)

Wow, everyone, thanks for all the great input.

Got to thinking about a couple more questions, specifically, what are "needs" as I do this. Do I "need" to have a bar code on my CD's? Do I "need" to register them somehow with CDDB? Do I "need" to have the words "copyright 2007" on both the CD and the cover somewhere? How about words like "produced by" or the cost per CD? I have a hard time knowing what's optional and what's necessary; any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

Edit: One more thing: What's "4-color"? Is that the same as full-color? (I assume not)

DiscMakers will do all that, but you best be sure you dont have ANY samples etc that are owned by another, or require you to mention them on your work, bla bla. I think you have to sign a IPR form to get what you are talking about. I have an IPR form here, if you need to know what its all about.

4 color would be how many colors used in printing. Just so you know, alot of printing companies that do magizines do 4 color. It wont be "only 4 colors" that you see, because blending of course makes other colors.
    samhoff
    RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/17 11:49:04 (permalink)
    Thanks for that input, but I am wondering what to do now that (it looks like) I'm going to be the one burning the CD's and making my own covers etc.

Sam
    Ognis
    RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/17 12:10:46 (permalink)
    I made my own covers for a CD I did just to pass around to friends. Just be sure you get gloss paper, and use something at allows you to print exact dimensions. Best to mesure an old cover of a cd yourself, most websites are way off in what they say. You will mess up a few times, so just print light greay squares untill you get it perfect, then print the real thing (to save high ink costs). (BTW, I used Fastone Image Veiwer - free).. As to doing your own bar codes, I have no idea, but prob easier to just get some stickers with the price to put on the case itself.
    post edited by Ognis - 2007/01/17 12:31:15
    Joe Bravo
    RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/17 12:21:46 (permalink)
    I've got a favorites folder called "CD Selling" that I filled with links when I was searching around several months ago concerning the same topics. These were the links that did me the most good:

http://www.musicbizacademy.com/articles/legalchecklist.htm

http://www.musicbizacademy.com/knab/articles/sellonline1.htm

http://www.cdbaby.net/resources/barcode.htm

http://www.cdbaby.net/submit.htm

http://www.musicbizacademy.com/directory/cdmanufacturers.htm

https://www.harryfox.com/index.jsp

http://www.musicbizacademy.com/

And Larry's right about the shrink wrap thing. If they're just for friends or promos there's no need to shrink wrap. Only if you intend to sell in stores. Even CDBaby doesn't require shrink wrapping. Actually, from what I understand though, they're supposed to shrink wrap the CD's themselves if they get an order from a retail record store of your CD through their ditributor (Super D).
    superdan54
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 526
    RE: How would you make 200-500 copies of your CD 2007/01/17 12:38:37 (permalink)
    I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but Diskmakers also does short runs. In fact, you can get 100 replicated for only $194. (Color insert, Thin Jewel Case). This pricing looks a lot better than the other Short Run site mentioned.

http://duplication.discmakers.com/mcm/discmakers/index.jsp
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1