Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
sfripp
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 665
2005/01/06 04:22:27 (permalink)

I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc

Here it is again!

I've done another overhaul of the mix from version 2, re tracked the vox with A Rode NTK valve mic through an Avalon VT737sp as I found the previous version a little harsh! Ran the lead guitar through Alien re-valver & Cakewalks Amp sim, also did some tweaks to the Drums and Stereo field distribution.

Hopefully its much more pleasing on the ears than the last version...which is still up there for comparison if you have the time to listen to both!

I believe V3

Spheris, Chaz, Mitch...anyone!

Thanks...with any luck this might be the last version before mastering!

Shaun

E6600 Core2Duo, 2gigC4 corsair,
Asus P5B, LynxII, 3xWD250Gig SATAII
BFD, Dimension Pro, Z3Ta

31 Replies Related Threads

Chad Beattie
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc 2005/01/06 10:01:51 (permalink)
    I listened on both headphones and my monitors. In both cases when comparing version 2 and version 3, my ears were telling me that both the vocals and guitar on V2 sounded better (or maybe just fit better) than V3. Now, don't get me wrong, the vocals on V3 sound really nice, but it seems like they don't have the same feeling as V2. They sound dryer I think and not as intimate as V2. Also, the guitar on V3 to me sticks out too much, I don't think the effects on it fit as well as they did in V2. My opinion is that if you took the guitar and vocals from V2 and put them into V3, it would sound better then either version. It just seems to me that although the sound of the guitar/vocals are good on V3, they are not fitting as well as they did with V2. The acoustic guitar in V3 seems to be lost a bit more in the mix than V2.

Hopefully that helps. I listened to both several times. If not for having something to compare it too, I would say V3 sounds great how it is aside from maybe the guitar sound not quite fitting IMO. It just seems that overall; something was lost compared to V2.

I will admit, this is tough to judge when both sound so good. I can easily see how mixers/masters/producers (hopefully correct terms) can spend hours refining changes at this point of the process. After many listens, I found myself starting to question my initial instincts on what I thought.
    sfripp
    RE: I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc 2005/01/06 10:47:30 (permalink)
    Thanks for the listen Chad.

I have gone through a number of different opinions about both mixes myself!
    With your own piece it is hard to be objective. The V2 leads vox were sung through an NT2-a pluged through the 737 which is definately less coloured than the NTK on the V3, also I knocked the majority of the verb of it on V3 as you noticed. interesting that you feel the electric guitar sounds better on V2!..it is DI which makes it a tad cold...which I supppose does go with the mood of the song. Some more verb back on the lead vox may reconcile the lead in the mix...maybe I can be objective..

Anyone else have any input?

BFD, Dimension Pro, Z3Ta
    onevision
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 321
    RE: I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc 2005/01/06 11:38:14 (permalink)
    just love your voice man, the opening harmony,Mmm, very Ian Matthews'ish.
    I do agree with chad that the vocals sound drier, but hey i find that suits your voice better, much more crisper IMO.
    Good song although i feel it's strength lies in the harmonies which get weaker through the song again IMO.

really did enjoy the listen.

Dave.

one man,one goal

sfripp
    RE: I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc 2005/01/06 21:03:45 (permalink)
    Thanks Dave

I might see if some more harmonies might fix up the feel of the latter part of the song.

Next!.....

BFD, Dimension Pro, Z3Ta
    BlindDog
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 985
    RE: I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc 2005/01/06 22:11:21 (permalink)
    I think too often the reviews that come through this forum focus more on the production than the quality of the songwriting. So... allow me to address these issues separately:

Songwriting

Lyrically, very nice. I would like to get a good read-through of the lyrics, but basically what I heard was solid IMO. As to the arrangement, which I'm going to lump under this category, there were a couple of things that I might have done differently, but take that for what it's worth. You have a real anthem-thing going on (conceptually) with "I Believe", but the fact that the song is largely minor, I felt that the "I Believe" lost some conviction, particularly following the "My Lord..." section that is shifted more towards the major. In particular, listen to around 1:25; The first "I Believe" doesn't really "sell the point". It's the right words, but not necessarily the right energy to match the message. It got more intense towards the end, but I'd try to work a contra line instead of going down the scale on "I believe" all the time to try to give that section more of a convicting lift.

Production

Everything sounds independent, like each of the instruments are still separate and haven't really gelled in the mix. The vocal could benefit from some kind of treatment, maybe a light verb frosting or delay to make it sit in there better. I really liked the harmonies, but they were a bit too distinct for my own tastes. (Again, take that for what it's worth.)

I'm not sure if this falls under the category of production or arrangement, but the energy really didn't go anywhere in the song. I liked the guitar work, but everything is coming through at about the same intensity. I'd personally work the anthem angle and get this thing BIG in the middle. (Again, for whatever that's worth.)

Summary

Obviously, I like the song. Listened several times. Haven't listened to the earlier versions, but then again I was more interested in the lyrics than the production anyway.
    sfripp
    RE: I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc 2005/01/06 23:18:07 (permalink)
    It Is true, perhaps, that I have indeed lost conviction, but not the desire to be so inclined, hense: "please take this heart of mine.......create in me a new love...so I wont let you down...so faith in me be found". Yet I cannot find myself in a place where I don't believe. I'm not really selling anything with this song other than my personal/inspired vision from multiple aspects...as the varied...through...others eyes present. This is by no means intended as a Sunday Church song...but a depressing picture of suffering that doesn't loose sight of hope.

Not at all unappreciative of your comments....I thankyou for them...I am considering laying a new vocal track over the last "I believe section" perhaps present a "what" I believe declaration...I'll meditate on some lyrics.

Everything sounds independent, like each of the instruments are still separate and haven't really gelled in the mix.

Two versions back the song actually had 2 synth parts (still on site)
    With this version my intention was to give everything as much space as possible....perhaps I've overdone it?

Thanks

Shaun

BFD, Dimension Pro, Z3Ta
    BlindDog
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 985
    RE: I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc 2005/01/07 10:14:51 (permalink)
    Oh dude, please don't take my comments as any sort of personal indictment. My comments were from an opinion of the sonic vision that the song was designed to project. Of course, being your song and your heart I can only work from this perspective, not knowing the full story.

I followed the lyrics, but like I said it would have been good to have them all written out to pore over more carefully. Good stuff!

I should say that your song haunted me last night, and I spent a few hours thinking about how you might keep that first "I believe" in the current spirit. What of this: What if the first chorus was more of a "do I believe", the second "can I believe", and the final "YES, I believe!". ?? This would then support more of a resolution as the song progresses, which goes from depression to hope. (Frankly, I like songs that end hopeful vs. depressing; life itself can be depressing enough without getting that from music as well.)

As to giving things "too much space", that's a matter of interpretation. Some like all that separation, I prefer to taste the sandwich rather than the peanut butter AND the jelly, if that makes sense.

You said this is not intended to be a "Sunday Church song", and hey, that's fine -- plenty of those. But from one Christian songwriter to another, there's a bigger opportunity in our songs to offer some sort of connection to those who will go through the experiences that we've been blessed/cursed with. So today the song may be something personal only to you, but I only ask you to consider the greater scheme of how God can use the tool to positively affect the lives of others and then with that perspective, ROCK THEIR WORLD.
    sfripp
    RE: I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc 2005/01/08 08:52:41 (permalink)
    Oh dude, please don't take my comments as any sort of personal indictment.

Its all cool!!

More comments please! On both version if possible. At this stage I'm leaning towards a midway point between the attributes of both.......(bump)

BFD, Dimension Pro, Z3Ta
    sfripp
    RE: I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc 2005/01/10 01:46:20 (permalink)
    Updated: V3
    < Message edited by sfripp -- 1/10/2005 1:54:28 AM >

BFD, Dimension Pro, Z3Ta
    rossipsu1
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1030
    RE: I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc 2005/01/10 15:14:33 (permalink)
    Shaun...

re: V3

Good vocal line and tight harmonies. You have that country twang working for you, and I'm always a sucker for tight harmony lines.

That being said, my primary distraction was the overall 'tightness' of the song. The rhythm is a little loosey goosey in parts, a lot in others. (I don't know how you guys program those midi drums anyway??). It made it hard for me to get past the rest of tune and give a total objective analysis of it.
    < Message edited by rossipsu1 -- 1/10/2005 3:22:36 PM >
    ocabernethy
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 124
    RE: I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc 2005/01/10 15:37:45 (permalink)
    Those full, rich and lush strings in "I Believe" reminded me of Aaron Copeland's music. (This is a compliment!) I believe that your music is blessing to God and a to lot of His children, as well. Take care.

Chuck A.

O. Charles Abernethy
    http://www.EnsembleMgmt.com
    - click "Projects" or "Artists"
    Keep the faith --but not to yourself!
    kiwisdontdrinktea
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 567
    RE: I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc 2005/01/10 15:49:03 (permalink)
    Shaun,

I always preface what I say with IMHO, because I am not a musician or engineer etc. I also did not read other posts (no time today) so forgive if I repeat.

1. I love teh accoustic track, well recorded.
    2. I didn't like the toms too much. It may be that thay were panned too far.
    3. I like the vocal harmonies.
    4. The Guitar leads were a little distracting, I am not sure what advice to give there.

Overall quite good production quality. Nice song.

She done stole my song - Otis Redding

http://www.beatkiwi.com
    billboutin
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 483
    RE: I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc 2005/01/10 16:02:06 (permalink)
    Halfway through I realized I'd listened before, real nice!

Had to listen to In the Beginning, really nice orchestral piece, reminded me of Mannheim Steamroller, if I spelled that right...
    sfripp
    RE: I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc 2005/01/11 22:46:27 (permalink)
    Good vocal line and tight harmonies. You have that country twang working for you, and I'm always a sucker for tight harmony lines.

Country? Nooooooooooooooo....your not my faaaather!

The tightness or lack thereof may be to do with the way I entered the drums.
    Its the first time I've tried using the keyboard to enter them directly. I didn't use any quantizing...maybe I should?

BFD, Dimension Pro, Z3Ta
    sfripp
    RE: I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc 2005/01/11 22:48:16 (permalink)
    Those full, rich and lush strings in "I Believe" reminded me of Aaron Copeland's music. (This is a compliment!) I believe that your music is blessing to God and a to lot of His children, as well. Take care.

Thanks and God Bless Chuck!

BFD, Dimension Pro, Z3Ta
    sfripp
    RE: I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc 2005/01/11 23:01:43 (permalink)
    1. I love teh accoustic track, well recorded.
    2. I didn't like the toms too much. It may be that thay were panned too far.
    3. I like the vocal harmonies.
    4. The Guitar leads were a little distracting, I am not sure what advice to give there.

Overall quite good production quality. Nice song.

Thanks for the listen, all advice is valuable IMO.

1. Acoustic was done using an NTK through a focusrire pre/NT2-a through an Avalon pre.

2. I agree about the toms! I Could adjust them more central...If I ever get BFD the XV is going out the window anyway<g>

3. Thanks

4. Might be time to see what Mitch can do!

BFD, Dimension Pro, Z3Ta
    vmf007
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc 2005/01/11 23:06:07 (permalink)
    got my email?

Lenovo Thinkcentre E6550, i3 Processor, 6GB Ram, 1TB HD, SPEX1/AT3035/ATH M30/M-Audio Bx8/

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/victormfloresmusic.htm

Jesus Saves!!!
    sfripp
    RE: I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc 2005/01/11 23:21:55 (permalink)
    Just got it! About to send you one back!

BFD, Dimension Pro, Z3Ta
    sfripp
    RE: I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc 2005/01/13 22:15:31 (permalink)
    Thanks for listening again Bill!

Had to listen to In the Beginning, really nice orchestral piece, reminded me of Mannheim Steamroller, if I spelled that right

Um...?..Don't know that one!

BFD, Dimension Pro, Z3Ta
    mlavin00
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 648
    RE: I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc 2005/01/14 18:05:30 (permalink)
    Hey Shaun, long time no hear. I've been gone from the forum for a few weeks and almost missed this one. I dig the tune bro. You have a gift for the vocal harmonies my friend. Just awesome. Solid guitar part, especially the noodleing under the vox, kinda Santana like. Good tone, but I've always prefered a mic'd amp vs the software stuff. A little to direct sounding for my taste but that's a personal bias not necessarily a critique. All in all well done.
    Mitch
    mlavin00
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 648
    RE: I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc 2005/01/14 18:07:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: sfripp

4. Might be time to see what Mitch can do!

Didn't see that until after I posted. If you need me to give this a shot, just say the word and I'm in. I certainly owe you for the killer lyrics you provided for me on I Need You and All I Ever Wanted. Let me know bro.
    Mitch
    Leee
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 783
    RE: I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc 2005/01/14 18:49:07 (permalink)
    sfripp - I've been browsing the songs in this forum, just to get an idea how far out of my league everyone is The thing that I first noticed about this song was the bass sound. Now forgive me if these seems like a newbie question but are you using a real bass or is it a synth? (While I think it's real, I would like it to be a synth so I could get that sound too)

Very nice job on the song btw (and I'm not even Christian!)

Lee Shapiro
    www.soundclick.com/leeshapiro

Welcome BandLab and thank you for giving Cakewalk and Sonar a new lease on life.
    rolo95
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1607
    RE: I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc 2005/01/14 19:14:58 (permalink)
    Hi Shaun

just read the post
    cant hear now....but

its not an overkill to have TUBE PRE with TUBE MIC......
    just wondeering....

anyway i wish i had both!!!!!

Greets
    ROlo.

-----------------------------------------------------
    THERE IS NO POWER Without KNOWLEDGE !!!
    -----------------------------------------------------
    chaz
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2775
    RE: I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc 2005/01/14 19:32:30 (permalink)
    Updated: V3

Hey Shaun,

Would you post a link to V2, so I can compare the two.

Thanks.

Edit:..... Sorry, Shaun. Did not click on your link before writing this, so "Nevermind!"
    < Message edited by chaz -- 1/14/2005 7:41:19 PM >
    chaz
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2775
    RE: I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc 2005/01/14 20:17:49 (permalink)
    Hey Shaun,

I really like this tune and it's message. The vocals are very well done. Excellent harmonies! It sounds like the NTK/737 combination work worked out great. No reason for it not to.

From a mixing standpoint..... I am sure that everyone knows this about me by now.... I just have a difficult time with solo instruments being placed right up the middle when there is a main vox involved. I DO like the sound of the gtr in the Intro, though.

From an arrangment standpoint..... I think the drums are fine during the verses, but do not really work in the Chorus and gtr solo. They are too busy for my taste. Again...."for my taste". The toms are also too wide in the mix for me as well. And the ride is just too busy throughout the Chorus and gtr solo as well, IMO. I would suggest using an eighth note pattern to give it a more laid-back feel. It will also work better with the rhythm gtr track that way and will carry the section much better as well.

The introduction of the flute-like instrument at the 4:12 mark would work better on the other side, since you have already introduced the lead gtr & solo in that spot already. It will better for the mix balance, IMO.

One more thing..... I am feeling a tambourine would work nicely as well, in the appropriate places; that being, the gtr solo and last chorus.

Overall.... I think you are doing a good job on the mixing end as well. Outside of what I already mentioned above, it is coming along quite nicely! It is not quite there yet, IMO, but it is close to it. It does deserve for now, though.

BTW Shaun.... Would you please send your email address to me via my email studio email. I have a personal question that I do not want to post here. Just use the Customer Service link found here . Thanks.

Well..... that is all I have to say. I am done now.
    < Message edited by chaz -- 1/14/2005 8:38:20 PM >
    sfripp
    RE: I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc 2005/01/15 10:35:50 (permalink)
    Hey Shaun, long time no hear. I've been gone from the forum for a few weeks and almost missed this one. I dig the tune bro. You have a gift for the vocal harmonies my friend. Just awesome. Solid guitar part, especially the noodleing under the vox, kinda Santana like. Good tone, but I've always prefered a mic'd amp vs the software stuff. A little to direct sounding for my taste but that's a personal bias not necessarily a critique. All in all well done.
    Mitch

Howdy Mitch!

thanks for the comps on the Guitar part! I'll send you a track as soon as I've tied up a few more loose ends with some other areas in the song.

BFD, Dimension Pro, Z3Ta
    sfripp
    RE: I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc 2005/01/15 10:38:52 (permalink)
    Now forgive me if these seems like a newbie question but are you using a real bass or is it a synth? (While I think it's real, I would like it to be a synth so I could get that sound

G'day Leee

Sorry! Real bass! Spectre neck-through plugged through the Avalon. First time I've tried this particular set-up...Quite lush I thought!
    < Message edited by sfripp -- 1/15/2005 10:46:33 AM >

BFD, Dimension Pro, Z3Ta
    sfripp
    RE: I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc 2005/01/15 10:46:15 (permalink)
    its not an overkill to have TUBE PRE with TUBE MIC......
    just wondeering....

Hey Rolo

Doesn't seem to be an overkill
    I thought the general rule was that you use Valve mic's with solid state pre's
    And solid state mic's with valve pre's. Anyhow curiosity got the better of me and I'm glad I tried it...so much smoother than the previous version...and not as coloured as I expected it to be. The backing vox are a straight solid state chain.

BFD, Dimension Pro, Z3Ta
    sfripp
    RE: I Believe/vocal Re-track/re-mix/etc 2005/01/15 10:56:51 (permalink)
    Hi Chaz

I really like this tune and it's message. The vocals are very well done. Excellent harmonies! It sounds like the NTK/737 combination work worked out great. No reason for it not to.

I was pleased! Wasn't sure whether I had chopped too much of the top end of the vox on the way in though?

I just have a difficult time with solo instruments being placed right up the middle when there is a main vox involved.

That's cool I'll pan it a bit harder to the right and see if I can understand where your coming from.

I think the drums are fine during the verses, but do not really work in the Chorus and gtr solo. They are too busy for my taste. Again...."for my taste". The toms are also too wide in the mix for me as well. And the ride is just too busy throughout the Chorus and gtr solo as well, IMO. I would suggest using an eighth note pattern to give it a more laid-back feel. It will also work better with the rhythm gtr track that way and will carry the section much better as well.

this is good I wasn't particularly happy with the drum arrangment or sound...I've got BFD on the way so I'll spend some time on the drums for sure.

BTW Shaun.... Would you please send your email address to me

Done

BFD, Dimension Pro, Z3Ta
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1