Helpful ReplyI HATE take lanes.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: I HATE take lanes. 2018/05/16 12:33:03 (permalink)
mettelus

.... I can see where complex variations have caused issues for some.

I admit I got a chuckle from this Geoff. Good thing you are not running tape! Try finding your best take then

Oh the things we take for granted with computers.

^^^Yes!

I could see how comping a 12 mic drum set-up could prove troublesome.  I have even wished that when comping two or three trks of guitar I could comp all the trk at the same time. I mean they are all identical. They were recorded from the same player at the same exact time, just from different sources. So what I select in one trk, I will want to do it in the other two also.

So if the Bakers could come up with some sort of 'Group Comp' that would be fantastic!

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
Voda La Void
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 723
Re: I HATE take lanes. 2018/05/16 14:37:48 (permalink)
Grem
mettelus

I admit I got a chuckle from this Geoff. Good thing you are not running tape! Try finding your best take then

^^^Yes!

I could see how comping a 12 mic drum set-up could prove troublesome.  I have even wished that when comping two or three trks of guitar I could comp all the trk at the same time. I mean they are all identical. They were recorded from the same player at the same exact time, just from different sources. So what I select in one trk, I will want to do it in the other two also.

So if the Bakers could come up with some sort of 'Group Comp' that would be fantastic!

This is precisely what is driving me to Reaper.  Recording a 9 mic live drum setup to 9 audio tracks, usually 3 takes or more per track.  When I want to comp a section of a performance, that's 9 tracks to go through, instead of just grouping them together for a single comp operation.  Live drum recording is too tedious and laborious to do in Cakewalk and is a non-starter for me.  All of my projects are in Sonar, so that function would be great.

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
Base 57
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 249
Re: I HATE take lanes. 2018/05/16 15:27:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Voda La Void 2018/05/16 15:40:22
Voda La Void
Grem
mettelus

^^^Yes!

This is precisely what is driving me to Reaper.  Recording a 9 mic live drum setup to 9 audio tracks, usually 3 takes or more per track.  When I want to comp a section of a performance, that's 9 tracks to go through, instead of just grouping them together for a single comp operation.  Live drum recording is too tedious and laborious to do in Cakewalk and is a non-starter for me.  All of my projects are in Sonar, so that function would be great.

Yet another feature request that we already have.

Put the tracks that you want to be grouped into a folder. Then in "Record Preferences " under "Multi-track grouping" (at the bottom of the page) select "Group only clips in folders".
Voda La Void
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 723
Re: I HATE take lanes. 2018/05/16 15:42:43 (permalink)
Base 57

Put the tracks that you want to be grouped into a folder. Then in "Record Preferences " under "Multi-track grouping" (at the bottom of the page) select "Group only clips in folders".

What version of Sonar is this available in?  I have X1 and was considering downloading the free CbB SPLAT version.  

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: I HATE take lanes. 2018/05/16 15:50:07 (permalink)
CbB multi-track grouping preference setting help is here. This drop down first appeared in X3.
Base 57
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 249
Re: I HATE take lanes. 2018/05/16 16:56:22 (permalink)
X1(Expanded) does have clip grouping. It does not have the group in folders option that is in X3-CbB. 
Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: I HATE take lanes. 2018/05/16 17:21:50 (permalink)
Thanks for that Base57 and Scook. I have always had mine set to no grouping due to me always copying and moveing drum clips around, I did not want things grouped for fear of making a change to one and they all would change.

I am in the process of seeing how well this works with comping.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: I HATE take lanes. 2018/05/17 05:01:51 (permalink)
Voda La Void
Base 57

What version of Sonar is this available in?  I have X1 and was considering downloading the free CbB SPLAT version.  

X3 was way ahead of X1...let alone CbB (nee Platinum).

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
thepianist65
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 644
Re: I HATE take lanes. 2018/05/17 14:28:04 (permalink)
I have learned to like take lanes once I found my best use for them, which is to comp parts of various takes into one final version, and doing it the speed-comping way (just click drag over the parts you want, seems to work well, with only occasional glitches (random loud noises generated instead of a crossfade, for example). I do depend on them for this purpose only.

www.davemaffris.com
 BLUES:
https://www.facebook.com/coastalblueband1/

https://www.facebook.com/Midiexpert/?ref=hl
Please feel free to check out my music, all made with Cakewalk, available on itunes, Amazon, Google, Rdio, etc., etc.
For mostly jazzy stuff on Soundcloud at these locations:
https://soundcloud.com/dave-maffris
or for some different styles of music(pop/rock/covers):
https://soundcloud.com/dmpianoman
Tidewater Jazz page:
https://soundcloud.com/user-84355115

gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: I HATE take lanes. 2018/05/22 23:27:58 (permalink)
mettelus
gswitz
Now they pile up to the sky. An interesting measure of practice time.

I barely even consider takes. I spend a lot of time creating songs for guitar lessons through ArtistWorks.com. I do it little by little then upload a video to the teacher (Andreas Oberg). He tells me how I might suck a little less and I go do that for a month or two. :-)

To me, it's fun to have someone make me videos back showing me tricks. I did this once with Danny Danzi for mixing. It's really handy to have someone talk to you about something you worked on.

Now, I'm not sure Andreas is the best teacher for me. Like I love synths. Moog. Rapture. Z3ta2. I think they are soooo much fun. I love stomp boxes. Plugins. Weirdness galore.

The kinda thing that might mike the uptight blanch and leave.

I have no idea who to take lessons from for that. :-) I saw a bass player at artist works I thought would do the trick but I wasn't ready to leave Andreas yet. I've been just picking Jazz tunes and making takes on them.

Andreas is quite focused on the actual guitaring. I'm working on that. :P

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
stxx
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 406
Re: I HATE take lanes. 2018/05/26 19:26:38 (permalink)
Then don't use em! 

Sonar Platinum, RME UFX, UAD 2, Waves, Soundtoys, Fronteir Alphatrack, X-Touch as Contl Srfc,  , Console 1, Sweetwater Creation Station Quad Core Win 8.1, Mackie 824, KRK RP5, AKG 240 MKII, Samson C-Control, Sennheiser, Blue,  AKG, RODE,  UA, Grace, Focusrite, Audient, Midas, ART

Song Portfolio:
https://soundcloud.com/allen-lind/sets/oth-short
Steev
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 314
Re: I HATE take lanes. 2018/05/27 20:30:57 (permalink)
Andrzej Salm
Another irrational behavior:
I recorded a few takes in a loop, promoted take 4 to parental track. Closed take lane view and in the track view i moved the clip let's say 4 measures forward. Only take 4 track lane got moved. The rest of them stayed in the original place. So, now I have two clips in the parental track, one is greyed out... If I decide that take 3 will be better in the new place, well, tough luck because take 3 stayed in original position.
All take lanes should be moved or copied with the parental clip.
This is a horrible mess.

If you want to move multiple takes to another location with each other you need to select [highlight] each lane for them to all move/drag together.
 Select each take by holding the "Ctrl" key down while left clicking on each take you want to move. Release Ctrl key and drag any one clip and the rest will follow.
 I would also highly advise disable "snap to grid" and splitting and trimming the sections of the takes you want to move to avoid making horrible messes.
 I've never experienced any clips disappear, they just mute as you record another take over it.
 I would also advise any clip that you want to make into a loop should be dragged into it's own new audio track before looping to avoid making other horrible messes.

I love speed comping, used properly it can be a very effective, fun and fast way to create new inspirations and, well compositions..

Just stay calm, breath in, breath out, it'll take some getting used to, and practice makes perfect.
Or not, you don't even have to use them if they make you angry.

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1