Helpful ReplyI have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
ProjectM
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3941
2010/12/20 18:38:33 (permalink)

I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT?

I've installed - and fallen in love with - X1 and managed to use it to pretty good extent. However, a few things are still at bit odd to me so thanks everyone for providing your info here. It's been to great help, everyone!

But; I have an M-Audio Axiom 61 and I like it a lot. But with Sonar X1 Producer x64, the only version I have installed, ACT is not working properly. It seems that I only can use ACT on chanel strips and nothing else. I know that 32-bit plugs doesn't work with ACT, but Omnisphere, PLAY, Kontakt and other 64-bit plugs should be controlable from the Axiom through ACT...

Or am I totally wrong?

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
ProjectM
Re:I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT? 2010/12/22 06:52:49 (permalink)
OK, bumping

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
Scott Lee
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
Re:I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT? 2010/12/22 07:10:00 (permalink)

I use to have the Axiom 61 but I cannot comment on Sonar X1 and how it works. Currently I am using A Cakewalk A-Pro-800 and ACT is working fabulous.

I would consider buying the A-PRO 800, the keys feel so much nicer, knobs and controls are smooth compared to the axiom. Best purchase.

post edited by Scott Lee - 2010/12/22 07:12:09

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
SFX Media 
Song Composer / Engineer / Audio Director

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dezacrator?feature=mhee

ProjectM
Re:I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT? 2010/12/22 09:39:28 (permalink)
I'm happy with my Axiom but maybe it's time to upgrade to something else. I'd like to have the ACT thing working. It's a pretty cool feature.

The A-Pro has its own ACT preset, right?

Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
S.Wallis
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 269
Re:I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT? 2010/12/22 09:55:08 (permalink)
The ACT map for the A-PRO is kind of automatic, but not quite. You still have to set some things up first. And then there's things that arn't really in the manual, such as using the B1 through B4 buttons on the A-PRO to switch focus between synths/effects and tracks.

I wrote this A-PRO set up guide a while ago for Sonar 8.5 but it's exactly the same for X1 (apart from the options menu). I might write another guide just to update it to X1, but this one is worth reading for now. ---> http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2077977

There's this guide aswell http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2078577 but that's a bit more complex because it deals with switching midi CCs and not using ACT - which for me there's no point to do because ACT works perfectly for me on my A-PRO, so i can't really help with the second guide.

You might be able to use my guide to set up your Axiom to use ACT, but you won't have the B1-B4 buttons to switch focus.

The guide's worth a read (even if i say so myself) for anyone who has the A-PRO and hasn't read the guide yet and/or doesn't fully understand the A-PRO.
ProjectM
Re:I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT? 2010/12/23 08:12:21 (permalink)
S.Wallis - thanks for that. Interesting read. I'm not sure if I'll move to a new MIDI controller at the moment. You know, cash and stuff. But will definitely consider it if I can't get ACT up and running properly. I've been really happy with the Axiom for a long time so it's a shame it doesn't work with the X64 version.

I will do some more research on this;)

Thanks and merry Christmas!

Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
thegeek
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 631
Re:I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT? 2010/12/23 12:45:30 (permalink)
edit: wrong thread sorry....

as for this thread. to OP:

check the "ACT follows context" setting - it has to be ticked in order to control plug ins and not only channel strips ;)
post edited by thegeek - 2010/12/23 12:48:34
LpMike75
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1621
Re:I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT? 2010/12/23 13:17:36 (permalink)
If you ever figure out how to get your Axiom to work with Sonar I would love to hear how, I am in the same boat

- Mike
Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
Positively Charged
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 744
Re:I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT? 2010/12/23 13:43:43 (permalink)
Damn, that's a nice keyboard controller.  Are the faders motorized?
S.Wallis
Re:I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT? 2010/12/24 16:42:11 (permalink)
No.
Apart from that it's absolutly perfect for Sonar.
Positively Charged
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 744
Re:I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT? 2010/12/24 19:24:32 (permalink)
Does ANYBODY make a keyboard controller with motorized faders?  I don't know of any.
thegeek
Re:I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT? 2010/12/24 20:05:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Guys guys don't panic! Making ANY midi controller work with ACT is not that difficult as you make it sound. All you gotta do is understand the philosophy. ACT is a "layer", a virtual controller- midi thru that sits between your controller and Sonar.
When things don't work as expected you have to figure out if it's the controller-> ACT communication is broken or the ACT->Sonar/plug in parameter communication broken.

What this virtual layer does and how it affects parameters is the "controller/surface properties" :

Provided you have correctly set up your midi ins-outs for Sonar you have to first of all add you controller in options-> controllers/surfaces (for Sonar 8.5 and earlier) - for Sonar X1 press P and find the relevant option.

In there, add a "new" controller/surface" and make sure you choose "ACT midi controller" and then your device's ins-outs as show below:

Now we have made our controller able to "talk" to ACT but its essential to understand how and where to make it talk to ACT the way WE want it to.
To test this out create a new project and add 8 tracks (this is essential for our testing not random)

Now while the project is opened, open the "controller/surface properties"
The squares you see in there are "slots" of physical controls. ACT is supposed to map your controller's 16 sliders-rotaris and 8 buttons. Aditionally notice that it gives you a slot to map a button as a "shift" key (we ll come to that later, manual doesnt mention an important aspect of it)
Of course in order to do that, ACT has to know what kind of controller you have and if you are lucky it will be there in the presets. Truth is, I suspect many people are frustrated because whenever I tried, the given preset of Sonar with my controllers NEVER worked in its entirety or it wasnt mapped how I would map it.

The seemingly hard way (mapping it yourself) is the best way. Remember we are still talking about the controller->ACT communication.
So to recap, either you choose a preset or you map your controller to ACT how YOU want. To do that click on the upper half of the first square and you ll get a "midi learn..." message.

Thats when you move your first physical slider-rotary to map it to that first square. DO the rest, as you must have figured there is a limitation on behalf of ACT here.

You can only map a total of 16 physical controls of sliders-rotaries (incremental decremental values CC) and a total of 8 physical controls of switches (buttons or note messages) to ACT. If you have more physical controls those cant be mapped to ACT although that doesnt mean you only get to control 16 plus 8 parameters in Sonar (more on that later)

Notice that the third row shows "shift+" . This is because you don't get to add 8 more buttons there BUT by configuring a "shift" button (a 9th physical button of your controller) you can use it as "shift" key (like in a qwerty keyboard) plus any of your 8 mapped buttons for eight more functions - those which are shown in the "shift +" squares. The picky thing here is that ACT doesn't seem to recognise ANY other command as a shift key besides a note on-off message. This means you have to configure a button on your controller to send a note on-off mesage (any note) and NOT a on-off CC parameter change (0 - 127). Also note that if you set up your controllers buttons those can be of two kinds: either push buttons (send 127 when pressed , 0 when released) OR as switches (send 127 when pressed, send 0 when pressed again and on each subsequent press,cycle thorugh these two values ). Generally speaking yoy dont want to configure "switching" behaviour buttons to things like "play" or "stop" because then Sonar will require two presses of that button to work. So if during your testing any button seems to work every second hit, make sure to configure it as a "send 0 on release" button. Usually this means tinkering with your controller's settings so read its manual - ALL M audio controllers have a specific paragraph for setting up the buttons in one of the desired ways above.

*important tip* - after finishing mapping your controller to ACT, it would be very wise of you to hit the "save button" and save this mapping with a custom name - you can see in the pictures mine is saved as "Oxygen 49 only FX" - in case Sonar looses your controller (usually happens when you fire up Sonar and you havent switched your controller on beforehand) all you have to do is re-set the midi ins-outs in "controllers/surfaces" and re-load your preset in "controller/surface properties". Take note, that from this step onwards the controller -> ACT part of communication is done, even if ACT wont work as expected you wont be troubleshooting in any of the above settings - but rather in the options below

If you have been following my tutorial and have an IQ more than average (ha kidding) you have managed to map your controller to ACT and ACT by default has mapped its squares to what it thought best inside Sonar - this is the part where you need 8 tracks to see squares assigned to anything, or else even though ACT works it doesnt find any parameters to assign its "squares" to.

Now the logic of ACT can clearly be shown in the simplistic form of:
  MyController -> ACT squares -> Sonar parameters/plug in parameters

And what if you wanted to map your sliders to sends and not track volume, for example,  and what are those bank things over there?
A haaaaaaaaaaaa, turn to "options" :

Its here that you now set up the ACT-> Sonar communication. You get to set up banks which will map the "squares" to what you want inside Sonar (therefore in extension your controls mapped to those squares). Also if you have a good memory and remember what you set where you can map one of your buttons to jump to next/previous bank so for example if you have set bank1 of sliders for track volume and bank 2 for send 1 volume you can quickly change the bank by configuring a button to "next sliders bank" and another one to "previous sliders bank"

See images below:

In any case dont be confused with these two tabs,  you SET the banks behaviour in that "options" tab, you USE them by changing them in that other view, "controllers":

Now a last few tips: Notice the below options:
-ACT follows context
-Enable Active Controller technology

I wont comment on the confusing way they are presented, Bakers should get their ACT on it (ha :p)  but they are your customising friends:

-both ticked: ACT re-maps your controller to ANYthing possible in Sonar BOTH plug ins and Sonar track-mixer parameters by means of focus - click on the desired element (plug in, or just track view for Sonar)

-"Active Controller technology enable" ticked and "ACT follows context" unticked: your controller remaps ONLY to plug ins (usefull if you have a second controller to use for Sonar's mixer)
-"ACT follows context" ticked and "Active controller technology enable" unticked: your controller only controls Sonar parameters (usefull if you are planning to use it solely as a mixer controller for Sonar)

tip 1:
Capture mode:

As you must have figured by now, by changing a group of physical controls to a different bank will result to a discrepancy of the setting of those controls and the actual parameter values.....
real case scenario: you have configured bank 1 to control volume so your slider 1 is placed in its higher position (CC127) so that track 1 has a volume of 6 DB in Sonar. That track also has a send which is set to -∞ db. You have also set bank 2 to control send volume. Now when you jump from bank 1 to bank 2 for sliders, even though the slider is set at its higher position, the send volume of track 1 is set at -∞db. What happens the minute you "move" that slider? This is set by capture mode:
1. jump: as soon as you move that slider, the send volume of track 1 "jumps" to value 6 db and then follows the movement of the slider
2.  match: ACT waits untill your physical slider matches the value corresponding to the parameter - in our case,send volume is set at -∞ db so it waits until your slider goes to its lower position (CC 0). After this "match" the parameter starts to follow the slider's movement

note:in most cases, "match" capture mode is mor eintuitive and makes more sense, unfortunately I have found the latest model of Axiom to be unable to be used with this mode the reason being,  it does seem to have a peculiar "acceleration of value sending". This results in the parameter "losing" its match with the slider/rotary and I explicitly blame M Audio for their poor design and NOT ACT or Sonar. You can test this yourself if you have an OLD M Audio controller (silver design) and a new M Audio controller (black design). In the first case, observe the values send on the LCD display: no matter how fast you move the control, they "flow" incrementally/decrementally, in the second case the values seem to "skip" thus causing ACT to lose the connection between the physical control and the value. I contacted M Audio about this but well....pfffff

tip 2: also notice the "exclude this bank from ACT" tick box in the options tab - this usefull if for example you want to keep your buttons mapped to Sonar (play, stop etc etc) but still have ACT re-map the sliders - rotaries to plug ins or Sonar parameters - all you have to do in this scenario you exclude from ACT the bank of buttons that maps these buttons to your preferred parameters

tip 3: even though ACT does its best to map your sliders-rotaries to the most commonly used parameters for synth and FX plug ins, chances are you will want to map them diffrently - think "ACT-> Sonar" communication here, you dont have to midi learn anything, but you ll have to "ACT learn" via the button which appears top right corner of each plug in window. Check more in the manual for details on this - pretty straightforward

quick trouble shooting:
- no parameter/value shown on the "green square" - ACT hasnt found a parameter from Sonar to associate with this square, its pointless to fiddle with your controller or its connection since even if its setup and working perfectly ACT doesnt find anything to map it to - usually there is nothing wrong with it, for example in a project with 1 track, sliders controlling the volume and rotaries controlling the pan, obviously only the first square of the top two rows will show values. The second square will show values as soon as you create a second track and so on

- the green square shows value and Im moving the corresponding physical control on my controller yet the parameter wont change
either
a) you have set ACT in "match" capture mode so it "waits" untill your physical control reaches the parameter value to start changing it. Practically just move your physical control from one end to the other to see if it "picks up" the parameter.
or
b) Sonar has lost midi connection with your controller - check midi in - out settings - if so expect c) happened too

c) ACT has lost connection with the controller - if b) has happened probably this has happened too, so re-load your ACT preset - what you didnt save one? Then obviously you werent paying attention to my tutorial, see *important tip* above

Phewwwwww! There! the missing "how to set up ACT for dummies" ! ;)

disclaimer: tutorial applies to Sonar 8.5 or earlier - not tested in X1 but since officially not changes have been metnioned to ACT I believe the relative options and windows will be easy to find. ;)

notice: I know this whole ACT thing is not for the faint-hearted, but Im a firm supporter of it, once you get the hang of it its a real life saver - and YES I have set up various controllers and they all work fine including Axiom 61, Oxygen 49, Korg nanocontrol, Korgnanokeys, etc etc)

disclaimer 2: my setups (and tutorial above) are all done in 32bit OS environment

edited some text to bold so that users may spot the section related to their questions more easily and added some notes about capture mode  ;)

post edited by thegeek - 2010/12/28 15:38:27
LpMike75
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1621
Re:I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT? 2010/12/25 01:44:39 (permalink)
Wow, thank you for putting that together TheGeek!  I still have a bunch of questions but this will get me started.  I did some of this before and for some reason every project I had to start from scratch in setting it up again, Sonar didnt seem to remember my controller or controls. 

Thanks again
-Mike

- Mike
Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
Treefight
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 868
Re:I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT? 2010/12/25 02:48:20 (permalink)
Yes, thank you for that very helpful post!

Like LpMike75, however, ACT or the ACT present or whatever it is never seems to recall its settings the next time I open a project.  I'm not an ACT newbie - have spent dozens of hours setting it up with partial to total success, but I could never get any consistency out of it.  I don't think it's a bug just something under my nose I'm not doing right.  The whole preset save thing boggles me - how/what I'm saving, if I am/should be saving over the included preset (for the PCR series, for example) or doing a new preset.  But either way, the changes are not saved the next time I open up and try to use ACT.  This, more than anything else, has stopped my use of ACT dead in its tracks.

Any assistance on this point would be invaluable.

Thanks again.

Stuff.
thegeek
Re:I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT? 2010/12/25 04:50:24 (permalink)
As I recall, the only case where ACT and Sonar forget my settings is when I fire up Sonar and I havent switched on my controller. In that case, you normally close Sonar, switch on your controller and re-open Sonar only to find out that your settings were lost. Actually what IS lost is

1. the midi ins-outs of the added controller so you have to go back to options->controllers/surfaces and re-set the midi in-out for the added controller (image no2 in the post above)
2.the ACT preset - so it would be wise for ya to save your mapping preset once you are done with it (stored as a preset amongst the built in as seen in image 3 above). As you can see in most of my pictures I have saved a preset for my Oxygen in tthe name of "Oxygen 49 only FX" which is displayed in most of the pictures.

So yeah, Id say the quick way to never lose your settings is either NEVER forget to switch on your controller BEFORE Sonar regardless if you are gonna be using it o rnot, and save an "ACT" preset. Next time settings get lost all you have to do is re-set the midi ins-outs and re-load your "ACT" preset (as shown in image no3)

;)
S.Wallis
Re:I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT? 2010/12/25 07:31:01 (permalink)
Positively Charged

Does ANYBODY make a keyboard controller with motorized faders?  I don't know of any.

This is just a link to a shop, but scroll down and look for the CME VX series controllers. http://www.gear4music.com...h9Czh6YCFQZO4QodD17Gog

They have motorised faders, and many other advanced functions, but you'll have to pay a premium for them!

ProjectM
Re:I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT? 2010/12/25 09:01:41 (permalink)
thegeek

edit: wrong thread sorry....

as for this thread. to OP:

check the "ACT follows context" setting - it has to be ticked in order to control plug ins and not only channel strips ;)

A-ha!

this sounds like exactly the thing I was looking for. I know have to use ACT and have used it to great extent before but only being able to use it for the chanels was a bit weird to me. But this seems like it could be the sollutiuon. I will look into it as soon as I'm back where I belong (currently celebrating Christmas at mum's place;)

Thegeek; You're my hero now - thanks for the walk trough as well, I'm aware of how to take advantage of ACT but I've never quite figured out how it actually works.

Good stuff!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Marius

Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
ProjectM
Re:I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT? 2010/12/25 09:06:14 (permalink)
Not tonight honey, I'm working...
LpMike75

If you ever figure out how to get your Axiom to work with Sonar I would love to hear how, I am in the same boat

Hey man! Will definitely let you know. I'll try this as soon as I get home after Christmas and post my findings here;)

Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
ProjectM
Re:I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT? 2010/12/25 09:10:52 (permalink)
Positively Charged

Hey man!

Here you have it, MIDI controller with Mtorized faders: http://www.cme-pro.com/en/product-detail.php?product_id=9

It looks pretty cool.

The price doesn't...

Don't know how it performs;)

Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
ProjectM
Re:I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT? 2010/12/27 15:42:47 (permalink)
OK, this is starting to be a less than funny story...

I insist on using Sonar X1 Producer 64-bit;)

I get my controller to ACT with the chanel strip parametres just fine. No problems there. The ACT parametres are set up with my controller and every rotary and fader works fine. I insert a 64-bit synth like Omnisphere and no dice. It won't be recognised in the ACT panel and when trying this ACT is Enabled in the tick box and set to "Follow Context".

I insert a 32-bit synth like ACE and it doesn't work. And what I've heard is that 64-bit ACT doesn't work with 32-bit plugs. I may be wrong on this but I didn't expect it to work.

I un-tick "ACT Follow context" and then the ACT panel recognises Omnisphere and it updates with Omnisphere parametres. I try to move something on my Axiom and nothing happens. I try to map a fader to something on Omnisphere but nothing happens. It doesn't do anything even though ACT looks like it knows what it's doing.

I click on the 32-bit ACE and BAM! ACT sees it parametres and seem willing and ready. I set a fader on the Axiom to correspond with something in ACE and get the message that something was moved and do I want to keep it. OK. I move something on my controller and it moves in ACE. So far so good. 64-bit Omnisphere on the other hand - still nothing.

I click on a track in the track view and ACT still insists on staying with ACE. I check the "ACT Follows Context" box and it jumps back to chanel strips. And it works but not with ACE nor Omnisphere.

I don't understand this at all!

So I just for the hell of it installed 32-bit Sonar X1 and ACT works like a charm. It works with every plug and every synth and every chanel strip i intend to use it with.

What's the problem with the 64-bit version. I don't understand this.

I might try to install the M-Audio drivers but I've never really liked them so for now I'm on Windows generic drivers or something. I just plugged my MIDI controllers in and did the automatic thing.

Any one know what the problem is?
post edited by ProjectM - 2010/12/27 15:44:44

Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
thegeek
Re:I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT? 2010/12/27 17:20:40 (permalink)
Sorry i cant be of any help, I have never worked with Sonar and 64bit OS so i cant really test anything out for ya........
ProjectM
Re:I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT? 2010/12/28 05:08:45 (permalink)
Hey Thegeek!

No help? Your input here has been great! That guide of yours should be a sticky on top and addedto the manual. Your input is much appreciated;)

I think that in my particular system Sonar 64-bit, Win7 x64, the drivers and my Axiom all talk to each other like drunk people. I just need to figure out who serves the vodka - so to speak.

Your explanation of ACT let me understand what to test and how to do it.

Thanks buddy;)

Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
Nathanbar
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT? 2010/12/28 11:52:55 (permalink)
ProjectM

Hey Thegeek!

No help? Your input here has been great! That guide of yours should be a sticky on top and addedto the manual. Your input is much appreciated;)

I think that in my particular system Sonar 64-bit, Win7 x64, the drivers and my Axiom all talk to each other like drunk people. I just need to figure out who serves the vodka - so to speak.

Your explanation of ACT let me understand what to test and how to do it.

Thanks buddy;)

ProjectM- Have you downloaded the Win7 64 bit driver for the Axiom? This was a specific rollout after Win7 launched. I am running a similar rig, and have no flaws with the Axiom communicating to Sonar. (I am still on 8.5.3)

Nathan B.
ProjectM
Re:I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT? 2010/12/28 13:37:22 (permalink)
Hey Nathan!

Yeah, I suspected that I probably needed the M-Audio drivers. I just haven't trusted them since I have the Axiom and a TRigger Finger and previously there's been a helluva mess having them co-excist on my system.

But downloading and installing now. I'm very excited;)

Thanks for the advice. I'll post my results shortly.

Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
thegeek
Re:I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT? 2010/12/28 13:52:24 (permalink)
Cool! I hope it works out OK for ya!
ProjectM
Re:I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT? 2010/12/28 14:06:14 (permalink)
Crap! Didn't work either... well... maybe I should throw it out and find something else then.

I'm not really in the mood to buy MIDI controllers right now.

Maybe I settle for an ACT free life for now and go back to the good ol' way of MIDI CC addressing.

Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
Re:I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT? 2010/12/28 14:10:08 (permalink)
as awesome as this is (and truly it's one of the best "how to" post on any SONAR tech I've ever seen), it really just points out how absurdly cumbersome ACT is. Compare this to the MIDI learn in Live, for example. Not only is it incredibly non-intuitive and bulky, it's also radically limited for no apparent reason. 

And obviously it's long overdue for a v2.0

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
ProjectM
Re:I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT? 2010/12/28 14:15:53 (permalink)
True, Live's MIDI maping abilities are amazing and not matched by anyone. Problem is that once a controller i maped it controls only that one parameter in Live. 

ACT is pretty damn cool too when it works since the same controller can be used for several plugins. I hope there's a version 2.0 coming out soon that will make it slightly more accessible.

Still, I'm pretty sure there's something really fishy going on on my part. Having ACT would be great.

Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
thegeek
Re:I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT? 2010/12/28 14:28:06 (permalink)
Excuse me, but I dont think you can compare Ableton Live's midi learn with ACT. Unless I have no complete knowledge of it, midi learn in Live maps controls to parameters but doesn't in any way re-map them. If you midi learn slider 1 to track volume 1 it stays that way for the rest of that project.

A similar function in Sonar works by mean of right-clicking track 1 slider and MIDI learn.
Not exactly what ACT is capable of doing though!

I agree of course that setting it up could/should be more comprehendebly documented AND presented. Clearly from my personal usage of it, my only gripe is being able to map through ACT only a limited number of physical controls.

to Project M: in all honesty and even though we share the same feelings for M Audio stuff ;) I really think this one is a problem with Sonar, 64bit, and that bridge whats it called, IOW I wouldnt blame M Audio and I definitely wouldn't buy a different controller to see if it works. Of course I might be proven wrong if any user has made ACT work as expected in 64bit land with a different manufacturer controller.

ACT has worked for me as advertised-expected since day 1 of its implementation with 2 M Audio controllers but , again, on XP SP2 32bit
post edited by thegeek - 2010/12/28 14:32:06
ProjectM
Re:I have Axiom61. Should I get a new to use ACT? 2010/12/28 14:31:27 (permalink)
Hah!

I'll be darned!

In the midst of my "Axiom Won't Work" frustration I forgot about my TriggerFinger. Guess what; the thing works like a champion with ACT. Now I wonder why.

So the Axiom behaves like a donkey and the TriggerFinger is as polite as it should be. I have ACT available. Should be happy with that. But it's a pickle this thing...

Soundcloud
Negative Vibe Records
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1