AnsweredI purchased Vocal Rider for 29 dollars, any tips using it with Sonar?

Author
Serious_Noize!
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 950
2017/12/26 03:04:16 (permalink)

I purchased Vocal Rider for 29 dollars, any tips using it with Sonar?

I purchased Vocal Rider for 29 dollars today. Normally 249 as Waves said at the time. Crazy reduction, but I guess somebody needs to pay for the wife's gifts or something so they priced it that way. LOL!  

Anyway, I watch the videos on how to use it, but I was wondering if someone could tell me the best way to use it in Sonar Platinum? 

They talk about SIDE CHAINING in the instructional videos but they are using software different than Cakewalk Sonar. 

Mainly I'm just wondering if I am using the software right. 

Should I do this : "Just add it to the vocal track, select the write features and the high/low volume threshold and let it do it's work, then set that track to read on the automation on playback". Would I be right in saying that? 

Mainly what I am getting at is, just adding the plugin and setting the limits on the volume should make it work on writing an equal volume on the vocals right? 

I'm sure some will say "Just try the demo", but I did and the thing is, the tracks I tried it on were pretty equal on the levels. I'm not a singer. 

A second question, considering I have Sonar Platinum, which comes with Adaptive Limiter, would I be wrong in thinking that I could raise the volume up high and limit it with Adaptive limiter and basically do the same thing Vocal Rider does? I know Vocal Rider raising the volume for the lower sounds and there are sensitivity settings and such things. 

Either way, the way I am using Vocal Rider right now is adding it as the last in the chain on a vocal track and setting the high/low areas of it and letting it write the volume levels. 

I'm STUPID, sorry, but I needed to ask the best way to use Vocal Rider with Sonar Platinum. I wish someone would make a video on how to use it. 

Either way, I do believe it will come in handy in the future. 

Happy Holidays!

Bobby

Dell XPS 8700, 16GB's Ram, Sonar Platinum.
bdickens
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 847
Re: I purchased Vocal Rider for 29 dollars, any tips using it with Sonar? 2017/12/26 14:06:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Serious_Noize! 2017/12/27 01:52:01
Limiting is NOT the same thing. A gross oversimplification, but limiting keeps the volume from exceeding a certain threshold.

It is often preferable to "ride the fader" of your vocal track, manually adjusting the volume up and down as needed, because it produces a more natural and musical result. What the Vocal Rider does is do that automatically for you and writes the automation to your track, which you can go back and edit if need be.

Byron Dickens
jerrypettit
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 625
Re: I purchased Vocal Rider for 29 dollars, any tips using it with Sonar? 2017/12/26 15:02:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Serious_Noize! 2017/12/27 01:52:21
I love it and got it several years ago for $59 or so.  It's the first thing on my vocal chain and I pretty much just set it and forget it, let it work its magic, then have my vocal effects/compression, etc., come later.
Jesse G
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4282
Re: I purchased Vocal Rider for 29 dollars, any tips using it with Sonar? 2017/12/26 15:21:12 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Serious_Noize! 2017/12/27 01:52:26
Hey Bobby,

Click the link below to read the post which contain instructions and pictures on how Vocal Rider within Sonar.   Several of us Sonar users have discussed this so others could be able to use Vocal Rider in Sonar properly.  The videos shown for Vocal Rifer usually shows it being used in Pro Tools.  Vocal rider in Sonar doesn't have the Key Symbol for using side-chain, so the the Key-chain feature is used buy using a "SEND" to select Vocal Rider on whatever bus it's located on.

Read the post and enjoy Vocal Rider in Sonar -  Using Vocal Rider in Sonar

Peace,
Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
==============================
Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
Serious_Noize!
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 950
Re: I purchased Vocal Rider for 29 dollars, any tips using it with Sonar? 2017/12/27 01:55:12 (permalink)
Jesse G
Hey Bobby,

Click the link below to read the post which contain instructions and pictures on how Vocal Rider within Sonar.   Several of us Sonar users have discussed this so others could be able to use Vocal Rider in Sonar properly.  The videos shown for Vocal Rifer usually shows it being used in Pro Tools.  Vocal rider in Sonar doesn't have the Key Symbol for using side-chain, so the the Key-chain feature is used buy using a "SEND" to select Vocal Rider on whatever bus it's located on.
Read the post and enjoy Vocal Rider in Sonar -  Using Vocal Rider in Sonar

Thank you Jesse G., That really explained how to set it up and use it. I got the download for the manual also. 
I did run into a bit of issues though, Where it is mentioned "Open a NEW BUS on the first line, just like in the manual for VR" I figured that meant CREATE a new bus? 

Either way, I think I have it figured out thanks to your link and help. 

Happy holidays!

Dell XPS 8700, 16GB's Ram, Sonar Platinum.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1