I said I'd NEVER use Midi

Author
FingerBone Bill
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 517
2009/08/23 20:00:26 (permalink)

I said I'd NEVER use Midi

When I first started recording my music I swore I'd never use midi...

This is that track

Looking For Greeny

FingerBone's Music

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

19 Replies Related Threads

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    Re:I said I'd NEVER use Midi 2009/08/23 20:04:03 (permalink)
    If it will make you feel any better, I look at it this way. I can play, sing, write, blah, blah, blah. I don't have to prove anything to anyone. If MIDI makes it a little easier to get my ideas across and keep the creativity going how can it be bad? Same goes for loops, samples and whatever. Also, don't make the mistake of thinking that your favorite records of the past were pure performance, most have comped vocals, guitar solos and drums. 

OH, nice work on the track.
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    Re:I said I'd NEVER use Midi 2009/08/23 21:38:10 (permalink)
    What's wrong with MIDI? I couldn't record without it. I understand how the keys work, but I'm no keyboard player. And CERTINALLY no drummer.

You have some issues with your mix. Seems like everything was a little low compared to that lead. And the strings seemed a little prominent as well, even louder than the lead guitar in places. And drowning out the drums.

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    Mamabear
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8954
    Re:I said I'd NEVER use Midi 2009/08/23 22:03:10 (permalink)
    Real musicians always use midi!  LOL :-) 

This is cool! Beautiful tune and so well played.  I bet that lead guitar isn't midi though. 

I heard a few timing issues about :40 or so (I think.) 

I keep thinking 'House of the Rising Sun,' which is a good thing. :-)  Really nice.

FingerBone Bill
    Re:I said I'd NEVER use Midi 2009/08/24 00:03:03 (permalink)
    LOL - before we get too far into the MIDI debate guys, may I draw your collective attention to this thread...

Do Americans understand Irony?

10Ten
     ..... Also, don't make the mistake of thinking that your favorite records of the past were pure

performance, most have comped vocals, guitar solos and drums.  

Most of my favourite records were recorded before Midi was invented, the modern stuff I listen to (Jeff Lang, Chris Whitely etc. don't use it either) - but I take your point.

Mamabear

Real musicians always use midi!  LOL :-) 

This is cool! Beautiful tune and so well played.  I bet that lead guitar isn't midi though. 

I heard a few timing issues about :40 or so (I think.) 

I keep thinking 'House of the Rising Sun,' which is a good thing. :-)  Really nice.

Thanks Janet, although some of the technical tips I get here are quite helpful, it's always nice to hear from someone who gets the music. That's what it's all about isn't it?

No, no midi on the guitar(s) - I have to draw the line somewhere

I'll have a listen to the timing when I get some time

I think the House of the Rising Sun vibe you're getting comes from the arpeggiated backing guitar (as you say - not a bad thing to be compared to!)

FingerBone's Music

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
    hiberna
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 122
    Re:I said I'd NEVER use Midi 2009/08/24 00:27:24 (permalink)
    Hey, I'm really digging this...very chilled out, but still tragic. Loverly, indeed!

I'm hearing the same timing issues here and there - notably around :42. The main culprit is that arp guitar that's panned slightly left (if I'm hearing everything correctly).

Your lead is just fantastic, the tone, the expression, everything. I love it.

Keep it up.

D
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:I said I'd NEVER use Midi 2009/08/24 09:11:32 (permalink)
    Nice.... I was thinking....."the Thrill is gone" in a few places.....

Welcome to the world of MIDI!

I personally could not record what I record without midi. I don't have the resources to hire and record string sections.... nor do I have a nice piano, bass guitar, drum set.....etc....

I love the creative horizons that are open to me because of midi. 

Nice playing on the clip..... yeah there are some mix/level issues but minor points....

I thought the drums were weak. More like a click track than a drum track.  There are a number of nice drum synths available for a few dollars.  I used to try to "roll my own" drum tracks.... until I found Jamstix..... what a huge difference. It doesn't matter what drum program you use as long as you like it...... and it sounds right to you.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    Re:I said I'd NEVER use Midi 2009/08/24 10:32:27 (permalink)
    Love your guitar playing and tone. Your tone sounds very like David Gilmour's on "Shine on you crazy diamond", it's lovely.  Are you playing a strat?

Very nice.
    Doc_Hollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2289
    Re:I said I'd NEVER use Midi 2009/08/24 10:56:27 (permalink)
    Bill, Nice tune. But we'll be flogging you for using MIDI after so adamantly saying you wouldn't. :-). As a newly converted MIDI musician, your penance is to put MIDI instruments in each and every song for the next 12 nmonths.

On another note, MIDI can be used for live performance as well. All the drums in my recent compositions are live performance captures. We just use the MIDI data to drive Superior Drummer 2 samples. Which are of course recorded captures of real drums. So is it real or is it Memorex?

Doc
    MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
    Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
    Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

Alegria
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2075
    Re:I said I'd NEVER use Midi 2009/08/24 13:50:35 (permalink)
    Hi FingerBone Bill,

Real nice laid-back vibe. Love what you did with the strings and the arrangement in general. Guitar work is solid, nice hands. The mix needs a bit of work (instruments balance-wise as mentionned by "robby"), but nothing major at all. It actually sounds very good in the cans. You should cut some of that silence at the end (10 seconds +). For someone who's been staying away from midi, you sure got some good results with this one. Very very well done.

alkie
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2706
    Re:I said I'd NEVER use Midi 2009/08/24 15:07:57 (permalink)
    Love the fingers at work on this one and the MIDI fits in quite nicely the Strings i would imagine and drums were MIDI .

P.S here listen to this it`s all MIDI except for the vox     http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8013040     

post edited by alkie - 2009/08/24 15:09:51

Whoa.... to you ...oh...earth and sea...
    for the devil sends the beast with wrath.....
    because he knows the time is short.....
    let him who hath understanding.....
    reckon the number of the beast.....
    for it is a human number...
    it`s number is.....

So if JESUS rose from the DEAD
    Does that mean he`s the ORIGINAL ZOMBIE?
    FingerBone Bill
    Re:I said I'd NEVER use Midi 2009/08/24 21:21:49 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

I thought the drums were weak. More like a click track than a drum track.  There are a number of nice drum synths available for a few dollars.  I used to try to "roll my own" drum tracks.... until I found Jamstix..... what a huge difference. It doesn't matter what drum program you use as long as you like it...... and it sounds right to you.

Coincidentally - I've just this week downloaded the demo version of Jamstix and I'm looking forwards to trying it out as soon as I get a couple of hours free... Drums, the bane of my recording life!!!

FingerBone's Music

FingerBone Bill
    Re:I said I'd NEVER use Midi 2009/08/24 21:25:59 (permalink)
    blipp

Love your guitar playing and tone. Your tone sounds very like David Gilmour's on "Shine on you crazy diamond", it's lovely.  Are you playing a strat?

Very nice.

Thanks blipp - The guitar is a Fender Prodigy (sort of a Strat lite) - middle pickup. Any connection wth Gilmour (or BB King for that matter) will be graciously accepted.

FingerBone's Music

FingerBone Bill
    Re:I said I'd NEVER use Midi 2009/08/24 21:29:52 (permalink)
    Doc_Hollingsworth

Bill, Nice tune. But we'll be flogging you for using MIDI after so adamantly saying you wouldn't. :-). As a newly converted MIDI musician, your penance is to put MIDI instruments in each and every song for the next 12 nmonths.

On another note, MIDI can be used for live performance as well. All the drums in my recent compositions are live performance captures. We just use the MIDI data to drive Superior Drummer 2 samples. Which are of course recorded captures of real drums. So is it real or is it Memorex?

In my defense Doc, I did say that the strings were a bit of a temptation for me.

As for the penance - that really is a bit harsh - isn't losing the Ashes enough punishment for one year?

FingerBone's Music

FingerBone Bill
    Re:I said I'd NEVER use Midi 2009/08/24 21:34:41 (permalink)
    Alegria

Hi FingerBone Bill,

Real nice laid-back vibe. Love what you did with the strings and the arrangement in general. Guitar work is solid, nice hands. The mix needs a bit of work (instruments balance-wise as mentionned by "robby"), but nothing major at all. It actually sounds very good in the cans. You should cut some of that silence at the end (10 seconds +). For someone who's been staying away from midi, you sure got some good results with this one. Very very well done.

Thanks for that - As I do not have a midi keyboard I used an unusual (I suspect) method for writing the midi strings, I'm glad it worked out.

FingerBone's Music

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:I said I'd NEVER use Midi 2009/08/27 16:56:59 (permalink)
    I said I'd never use Midi also...but after that first date i couldn't resist!
    An awful lot of good songs wouldn't exist if it weren't for midi and her bro DAW.

I know where you're coming from though but it comes to:

Use midi -or- toss this beautiful song you've created...and it's beautiful.  If we had the $$ for real studio help we'd all do it..but...who does?

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    FingerBone Bill
    Re:I said I'd NEVER use Midi 2009/08/27 18:42:14 (permalink)
    Thanks for listening "No How".

I'm learning to live with my own hypocrisy

FingerBone's Music

SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:I said I'd NEVER use Midi 2009/09/02 07:16:12 (permalink)
    FingerBone Bill

When I first started recording my music I swore I'd never use midi...

Wow Bill!

For a first shot with the old MIDI this is quite superb

The strings lend it a haunting kind of atmosphere and that lead tone is sweet - signature Fingerbone stuff.

Now promise me you'll never make another song with MIDI

And I'll never mention 'The Ashes' again

Seriously though, nice work mate

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Wood67
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1348
    Re:I said I'd NEVER use Midi 2009/09/02 18:12:05 (permalink)
    Nice work. Now that's two great guitar tracks in one evening on this board.  I need to close down Firefox and start playing...

Wood

Studio One 3 Pro, (Sonar Platinum), Intel i7, Win10 Pro, 32Gb ram, RME Babyface Pro, Behringer X-Touch, Presonus Faderport, Akai MPK49, Arturia KeyLab25, KRK Rokit 5 monitors, and other sonic surprises.
    FingerBone Bill
    Re:I said I'd NEVER use Midi 2009/09/02 19:00:38 (permalink)
    SteveStrummerUK

And I'll never mention 'The Ashes' again

Yeah - like that's gonna happen!!!

FingerBone's Music

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1