Helpful ReplyI sure wish I could retire at 55...

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
craigb
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/09 14:22:45 (permalink)
Ah, yes!  A 401K.  I remember having one of those!  I got rid of mine once it had dwindled down below 1K... 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
chulaivet1966
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 384
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/09 14:28:28 (permalink)
craigb
Ah, yes!  A 401K.  I remember having one of those!  I got rid of mine once it had dwindled down below 1K... 

Haha....that must be the '-001K' program.

Carry on...

www.soundclick.com/wayneevansproject
Thank you for listening....
Military experience in case I'm not alone: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=78446
Semper Fi - USMC 1965-1969 RVN
My respect to all that have served honorably.
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/09 15:15:10 (permalink)
I've got a 401k and a retirement package where I work, but I've only been working under those benefits for 15 years because I graduated college when I was 36.  before that I was lucky to make more than minimum wage, let alone have any savings.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
chulaivet1966
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 384
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/09 15:29:18 (permalink)
Beagle
I've got a 401k and a retirement package where I work, but I've only been working under those benefits for 15 years

I started my 401K in 1995.
It dwindled to about 1/2 the amount during the financial market BS after 9/11 but slowly crept back up to a more appealing level by 2010.....that's 15 years for me too.
But....I had the max amount deposited which I believe was 15%.
My wife (due to my non-negotiating with her about the amount) has also been at 15% for the last 13 years.
Two of the best decisions I've made I might add.
The only bad thing is I'll probably croak and be a canister of ashes long before her. <sad face here>

Best to all aspiring retirees....
(I'd guess that Beagle in your avatar sounds pretty good through that old P50/P55 dynamic)

www.soundclick.com/wayneevansproject
Thank you for listening....
Military experience in case I'm not alone: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=78446
Semper Fi - USMC 1965-1969 RVN
My respect to all that have served honorably.
craigb
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/09 15:34:38 (permalink)
Beagle
I've got a 401k and a retirement package where I work, but I've only been working under those benefits for 15 years because I graduated college when I was 36.  before that I was lucky to make more than minimum wage, let alone have any savings.

36??!  Damn.  You could have shot someone you had an insurance policy on, done your time and probably been out at about the same age (financially able to retire)! 

Beagle
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/09 16:34:50 (permalink)

UbiquitousBubba
  • Total Posts : 8912
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/10 08:21:28 (permalink)
(Note to self: Consider hiring legal representation when using Craigb as a financial adviser.)
craigb
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/10 15:52:09 (permalink)
UbiquitousBubba
(Note to self: Consider hiring legal representation when using Craigb as a financial adviser.)

eric_peterson
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1103
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/12 08:30:20 (permalink)
Beagle
I guess I'm shooting for 62.  hopefully by then we'll have the house paid off and enough savings saved up.

Sadly, Our house will not be paid off by then. Our plan has to include $2200 a month for the Mortgage. Still looks doable though. We also have twins starting college simultaneously at that time ...
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/12 14:43:50 (permalink)
I would settle for being 55... I still own my business though I rarely work anymore. I am afraid to actually sell my business because the government seems intent on ruining the economy and I have a very affluent customer base... so that, if I did have to start going out an working, I would have customers.. but I DO NOT want to do that.
Being 55 would be REALLY cool though.

I am convinced that in a decade, more or less... retirement will be something that people once did. People who are now 50 and under will work until they die or until their "boat comes in", though there are not many boats and most are like the "golden winged ship passing your way"... they just keep on going.

My parents had a great retirement and they were not rich. My dad had a small business with just him and one helper. A service business. Mom was a housewife. They had a housekeeper (a maid). They were able to save about 10% a month. Dad sold his business when IIRC he was 63. They had a small RV, a Mobilux. They, literally for years, over 15 years... left GA after Christmas and travelled all over the west and came back home before Thanksgiving.
They would head out for the Brownsville, TX area then as spring warmed, they would move up into New Mexico and then on up. They drove it up to Alaska one summer. Dad had heart trouble. They were in Alaska and he got the feeling in his jaw and arm, went to the hospital got an angioplasty, then three days later they were back on the road. Mom turned 97 in February, he will be 96 in August. They have spent all the money inherited from their grandparents, parents, savings, and have around 80k left. They now have to have 24hr care but they are still living at home. That generation lived in a magical time, just after WW II, small town, community business, things were pretty easy. Things didn't cost very much and their were not many regulations, people were much more free to do smart things or stupid things. Leftover steel from the war effort went into the auto industry, homes were relatively cheap. When they paid off their mortgage in the 80s their payment was still 34 dollars a month. 
Yeah... those days are over. It was a phase, a period... and era. Things are different today and are still changing in a way that will not allow the middle class to have a decent retirement. I think things are going to get a lot worse before they get better. The medical treatments that enabled my parents to still be alive at this age are not going to be available to us. A lot of money will not buy what a little money used to buy AND... (it is a bid and) the young people are going to come to resent having to work to support "boomers" as we age. Unless something unforeseen happens, all the extra money has been spent. All the cream has been skimmed off all future milk.
I wish you well in retirement but I really think that for most people retirement will involve generating some income.
I just hope eugenics is not making a comeback... but I do see hints of it.

AH Well... nevermind, I was just kidding. All we be well. Just retire at 55 and it will just work out, right?

J

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
Moshkiae
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6111
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/12 15:30:44 (permalink)
Beagle
but I'm pretty sure it's not going to happen...
[shrugs]

I'm 63, and getting close to that day when you kinda do not want to work full time anymore. I'm hoping that my company will allow me to work part time (no benefits OK!), because I like what I do.

But I am not sure that they will want to do that, and it will be too bad, if they don't.

I hope to spend the rest of my time writing and learning more music stuff.  If things work as they seem to be going, I will have no bills and should be able to make it work, though it will be on the poverty level, but I live on so little right now, until all my bills are clear, which they will be in 6 months to a year!

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/14 06:35:44 (permalink)
Jbow, your parents´story really makes me envy, in a positive way.
I can't help feeling a little bitter. The main motivation to pay our high taxes has always been getting good education, medical care and senior care for a very moderate cost, and now (mainly) the  globalisation is wiping all that away. Knowing that we most likely have to sell our house when we retire is not motivating.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/14 12:00:48 (permalink)
I don't think 55 is in the cards for me either Reese. I am guessing that I will be really lucky to retire at 67 the way things are going these days with Social Security. I have been investing in 401K for the last 20 years, but only at 3-4 % at a time. Our company used to match 100%, up to 6%, but stopped doing that about 5 years ago. Now I believe they match 1/2.

I have wanted to up my percentages to 401k, but I have a kid in college that is absolutely sucking us dry. I hope he can find a job when he graduates and spends all of this money, but I here the job market is pretty bleak.

I work about 40 miles from home and I have wanted to move closer to work for at least 8 years now. Our biggest issue there is that we finally have the house paid off and moving closer would mean starting a new mortgage. The homes in the area close to where I work are half again as expensive or almost double the price of the house we are in, for something equivilant. My youngest child starts high school in the Fall, I'm guessing that if we don't move before then, we will be staying put for another 4 years.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
Beagle
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/14 12:09:33 (permalink)
yep.  it's always sumpin.

mmorgan
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 676
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/14 12:31:59 (permalink)
I'm coming up on 64, I've told my company that we should plan on this being my last year however I'm in the middle of leading a large project and don't like the idea of leaving in the middle of it. I'm currently on a 32 hour week by choice and may stay another year if I can cut back to 24 hours a week. I love what I do but I've been at the same company for over 20 years and I'm, uh, familiar with it. You know what they say about familiarity?

I used to think retiring would be easy but the closer I get to the actual reality of it I find I'm more reticent to actually pull the plug. On the other hand, if I have a bad day I sometimes think I could walk away right then and there. Take this job and ... 

Regards,

Mike

Win8(64), Sonar X3e(64) w/ RME Fireface UFX.
Beagle
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/14 12:35:40 (permalink)
mmorgan
I'm coming up on 64, I've told my company that we should plan on this being my last year however I'm in the middle of leading a large project and don't like the idea of leaving in the middle of it. I'm currently on a 32 hour week by choice and may stay another year if I can cut back to 24 hours a week. I love what I do but I've been at the same company for over 20 years and I'm, uh, familiar with it. You know what they say about familiarity?

I used to think retiring would be easy but the closer I get to the actual reality of it I find I'm more reticent to actually pull the plug. On the other hand, if I have a bad day I sometimes think I could walk away right then and there. Take this job and ... 

Regards,

retiring at this point would be extremely easy for me.  I am not happy with office politics at this point and I am ready for a new challenge.
I don't care for stagnation.  once I have conquered something I think it's time to move on to something I'm not as familiar with.

mmorgan
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/14 13:19:31 (permalink)
Beagle
retiring at this point would be extremely easy for me.  I am not happy with office politics at this point and I am ready for a new challenge.
I don't care for stagnation.  once I have conquered something I think it's time to move on to something I'm not as familiar with.

I hear you Beagle and I don't care for stagnation either. I'm lucky in that my projects change fairly significantly over the years...Cash Flow Analysis, Resource Planning, Control Systems Engineering. It's really the office politics that drive me around the bend but I have an excellent position where I can pretty much name my own tune as far as what I want to do (not speaking of money there). I can work at home, work short weeks, long weeks etc and so on...but I do see the light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe I could start programming VSTs? 

Regards,

Mike

craigb
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/14 13:41:30 (permalink)
I'm starting completely over so does that mean I'll be retiring when I'm 85 now? 

dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/14 14:36:33 (permalink)
mmorgan

Maybe I could start programming VSTs? 

Well, I just did retire from four and a half decades of software engineering on March 1 at the age of 66.  Getting into VST development has crossed my mind as an option - but certainly not for money.  If I still needed money, I would not have retired ... duh! 

Fortunately, VST development would require working in C++, a language I really don't care for.  As a result, hopefully I'll be able to resist the temptation and channel my energies into actually (and finally) producing something musically significant.  But, yeah ... that urge does crop up from time to time.
Beagle
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/14 15:05:26 (permalink)
there are SO many VST developers and SO many VST's already available.

it would be difficult to justify doing it unless there was a niche market you know about or have a desire for your own work that you could even begin to get anything out of the market.

UbiquitousBubba
  • Total Posts : 8912
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/14 15:11:39 (permalink)
Beagle

it would be difficult to justify doing it unless there was a niche market you know about or have a desire for your own work that you could even begin to get anything out of the market.

Have you met Bapu?
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/14 15:53:13 (permalink)
Beagle

All you have to do is make one a day. Price them at eh.. 100 bucks each, and let Bapu know about them! Problem solved!

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
mmorgan
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/14 16:51:38 (permalink)
Beagle

If I did it I'd like to approach it from a different perspective, perhaps a VST librarian where all VSTs in a project would be listed along with the tracks they were on and then be able to control them from that single place with smart controls. Dunno.

What I'd really like it to have enough musical talent where I could really enjoy my musical output and forget writing software altogether ;-)

Regards,

Mike

Beagle
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/14 16:54:23 (permalink)
mmorgan
Beagle

If I did it I'd like to approach it from a different perspective, perhaps a VST librarian where all VSTs in a project would be listed along with the tracks they were on and then be able to control them from that single place with smart controls. Dunno.

What I'd really like it to have enough musical talent where I could really enjoy my musical output and forget writing software altogether ;-)

Regards,

so retire and practice more!  that's what I'd LOVE to be able to do!

Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/15 03:49:53 (permalink)
Beagle
...I'm upset with work.  I'm tired of the politics...it's wearisome.

The politics is the certainly the worst part of any job.  It probably accounts for at least 90% of the all stress you get at work.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
craigb
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/15 04:32:22 (permalink)
Kev999
Beagle
...I'm upset with work.  I'm tired of the politics...it's wearisome.

The politics is the certainly the worst part of any job.  It probably accounts for at least 90% of the all stress you get at work.

And the other 60% is bad math, ya? 

jmasno5
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 453
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/17 16:06:17 (permalink)
Let me just say that I'm not 55 yet but it is very soon coming. I'll be working until I can't walk. I would love to stop working now. Tomorrow sounds good. Instead, in 15 years (or sooner) I will have to practice my "Welcome to Walmart" speech.

John Masarone - J Mas No. 5
jmasno5.com
broadjam.com/jmasno5
masarone.bandcamp.com
SoundCloud Set List
Intel i5, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 64bit, Scarlett 18i20
Sonar Home Studio 4 & 7, Studio 8.5, Producer X1, X2, X3, Platinum and now... Cakewalk by BL and Studio One!
jimusic
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1325
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/19 16:26:49 (permalink)
Beagle
...and I've heard you have to actually buy tickets before you can win...
 [shrugs]

You have to buy tickets to win?

Doh!!!

And after all this time - no wonder I've never won!
.................................................................................
After decades of construction as an Electrician, including sporadic bouts of unemployment, I've had my own business since 2008, in which I take care of light maintenance for a chain of 17 women's clothing stores.

So now I only work 1-2 days a week, and spend most the rest of my time at my music & DAW - at least my morning coffee hours & then some - many times, all day long, along with taking care of my Mrs. as well.

Thanks to her wonderful generosity, I'm now able to consider myself semi-retired at 52, and have been able to do so for 3 of the last 4.5 years we've been together. 

She doesn't want me to burn out what's left of my body, which has really taken a hit or 2 recently from all the years of construction.

She'd prefer I work on my tunes anyway, and just avoid what she calls 'dealing with all the b*i*t*c*h*e*s' in the stores that I maintain.  

Otherwise, I'd be working steady with no end in sight - until I literally drop dead!

Edited: For a typo.
post edited by jimusic - 2014/04/19 16:31:36

Beagle
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/19 17:58:08 (permalink)
that's ironically funny
jimusic
Beagle
...and I've heard you have to actually buy tickets before you can win...
 [shrugs]

You have to buy tickets to win?

Doh!!!

And after all this time - no wonder I've never won!
.................................................................................
After decades of construction as an Electrician, including sporadic bouts of unemployment, I've had my own business since 2008, in which I take care of light maintenance for a chain of 17 women's clothing stores.

So now I only work 1-2 days a week, and spend most the rest of my time at my music & DAW - at least my morning coffee hours & then some - many times, all day long, along with taking care of my Mrs. as well.

Thanks to her wonderful generosity, I'm now able to consider myself semi-retired at 52, and have been able to do so for 3 of the last 4.5 years we've been together. 

She doesn't want me to burn out what's left of my body, which has really taken a hit or 2 recently from all the years of construction.

She'd prefer I work on my tunes anyway, and just avoid what she calls 'dealing with all the b*i*t*c*h*e*s' in the stores that I maintain.  

Otherwise, I'd be working steady with no end in sight - until I literally drop dead!

Edited: For a typo.

a bit ironic considering your avatar, isn't it???? 

jimusic
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1325
Re: I sure wish I could retire at 55... 2014/04/20 02:05:37 (permalink)
a bit ironic considering your avatar, isn't it????  

I know, right?

I was thinking the same thing after I posted it! Hahaha!

Technically, the decision on that particular Avatar was actually put there not solely as a statement of 'protest and/or warning', but for the sake of 'all the brethren' who may find themselves in need 'to take solace & comfort in', should that time of 'marital bliss' ever come creeping along  and for most men, the game of marital 'win-lose or draw' does seem to come calling at least once in our lives at some point or another. 

Also, it was actually my Mrs. that pointed out that pic to me.
She thought I'd like it.
It was the cover of a paper back she was reading - go figure  

I instantly thought, "I have to post that as my Avatar"  
post edited by jimusic - 2014/04/22 01:56:09

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1