Helpful ReplyI want to learn some faster lead licks

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/27 07:32:37 (permalink)
bayoubill
I do everything wrong 

Absolutely not. Those exercises you posted are exactly what I do in one segment of my regimen and should definitely be done by anyone looking to become a better guitarist. I would add a couple more patterns to that to cover all patterns that appear within the common diatonic scales but they take some further discussion on how to shape one's hand which is hard to put in text and would require elaborate tab. Maybe later.

I agree but disagree in regards to counterpressure. Basically very little to no pressure should be coming from the back of the neck via the pad of the thumb (it should be the "toothpaste grip" principal... if you could squeeze toothpaste out of a tube with the amount of pressure being applied you are squeezing too hard). Squeezing too hard will slow you down and lead to cramping HOWEVER while first getting the hang of proper left hand technique it can be very difficult to fret notes at first until the other muscle strengthen and adapt. Therefore, and this is by no means traditional instruction at all, I believe it is more beneficial to allow a bit more pressure at first. The player is going to be playing a little slower anyway at first as they build mental and muscle memory and the pain of cramping itself will teach them to back off the squeezing as they speed up.

There does need to be a bit of counter pressure when it is warranted, IMO. There can be a lot of nuances and technique variations though that achieving different results or are simply necessary because not all our hands are built the same. When I show people stuff I stick to what I know from experience works BUT if that isn't working for someone for whatever reason (except the student simply refusing to practice) I try to offer up alternate approaches. Most of all I just want people to enjoy playing their instruments.

Anyway, everyone paying attention... try Bill's exercises. I just didn't comment on them because they didn't need any extra commentary. Cheers.

Agentcalm
Hey Beepster and Leadfoot, nice info on the fingetip tip (if you know what I mean).
A few of the things you mentioned there Beep about accidently muting other strings, poor vibrato etc are things i am constantly suffering from.  and when i do a recording it really shows.  I'll practice that "finger tip position" so to speak.   Thanks again guys.  :) 

I'm happy to help and yes... recording oneself will certainly bring every tiny bit of ugly to the surface. After years of playing live once I started getting into recording it was very disheartening. It was like "when the hell did I start SUCKING SO BAD!!!". lulz... I personally think live playing and studio playing should be considered two completely different techniques. Live you are trying force everything to cut and blend amongst sheer chaos and requires more attack and aggression. In the studio you need to pull back a bit because the mix engineering is who is going to be making things cut and blend and your job as the musician is to play as clean and tight as possible without sucking the life out of the music... very tricky. It's funny... I'm currently listening to some old Nirvana (now Danny's gonna kick my ass... lol) and Kurt is considered to be sloppy as hell but you know what? He did exactly what was needed to get his parts on tape and make it sound like it should. So he either practiced like hell or they did a million takes and spliced together the best stuff.

Now that I am writing exclusively into the DAW as opposed to hammering out parts on my own, bringing them to band practice, playing them live for a few years THEN maybe going into the studio I realized I am missing out on all that pre-production work. There just isn't that constant practice. Instead of having played a part hundreds, if not thousands, of times before hitting record I may have only played it a couple times. So I end up doing takes over and over because they have no life. Then I'll think I've got them, move on to another part and realize I could play the first part way better and sure enough I can and the first takes get scrapped. This annoyed me at first because it seemed like I was wasting time but then I think back to all those years of rehearsal and live gigs and realize FAR less time is being put in.

So now I take my time and actually jam along with an idea for weeks before really getting serious about final tracks. The song usually gets altered and made better this way too just like a song would evolve over time in band practices or on an extended tour.

That's a long way just to say... practice makes "perfect"... especially when it comes to recording.

Cheers.

batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/27 10:18:23 (permalink)
listening to sweep picking always makes my eyes glaze over.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Beepster
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/27 11:08:48 (permalink)
I never got into the 80s sweep picking craze. I'm more of a raker... which is similar but somehow raunchier. Knowing the mechanics and theory behind sweep picking is great though and can help with solos. It's just chords in arpeggio format sped up to hyperspeed.

Now tapping... yeah... I do a lot of tapping.
Beepster
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/27 11:14:33 (permalink)
One easy thing that can make one's playing sound much faster than it really is making liberal use of naturally occurring notes on open strings. 3 notes can be sounded while only fretting two. 4 notes can be sounded while only fretting 3. That adds up when we are talking about milliseconds and 32nd/64th/128th notes.

Oh and another neat thing about that is if executed in a certain way the effect can be very similar to sweep picking. Start with raking downward toward the E string and sounding it with a slight palm mute which gets promptly pulled off. Hammer on to 2, 3 or even 4 notes with your fingers than a final note with your right hand forefinger or the edge of your pick (tapping). Then quickly reverse it by pulling off back down to the open E.

If you know your theory you can easily construct various chords and chord qualities this way solely on a single string. Toss in some glissandos (slides) with the left hand and even to tapping hand and you can easily be cramming half a dozen notes in there all the way up the fretboard.
post edited by Beepster - 2014/08/27 11:16:59
wizard71
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 836
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/27 17:36:18 (permalink)
I'm no guitar player although I enjoy playing it but something I always encourage my piano students to do is to eliminate tension. It's a real speed and fluidity killer. It is my belief that tension is caused by fear of making a mistake . Therefore we try and control everything we do which results in tension, stiffness and lack of movement. By allowing yourself to play with complete and relaxed freedom and not worrying if you mess up or not is a quick route to playing faster with more accuracy. If your hands don't feel like liquid then you need to relax more.
Potential = performance minus interference.
This may or may not apply to you but thought I'd throw it out there :)

http://www.youtube.com/SpaceTimeAces
https://soundcloud.com/space-time-aces
Sonar Platinum - Win 8.1 x64 - Haswell 4770k - ASrock Z87 pro3 - 32gb ram - Fractal design R4 case - 3x HDD 1 USB 2.0 external 1x cr M4 ssd for samples - Octa-capture - Sontronics Aria - Sontronics STC-1s - BX8 monitors - ARC 2 system - Kawai CA63 piano - Kawai MP6 Stage piano - Fender custom Telecaster FMT - Yamaha LL6 - Fender P bass

bayoubill
  • Total Posts : 10899
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/27 20:35:09 (permalink)
I remember way back concentrating using my finger tips. The early  70's I think it was.  I did that for quite a while. Since then I've tried many many techniques and nowadays I just try to concentrate on using my fingers. Sometimes finding my fingers. 

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/30 15:39:24 (permalink)
LOL you guys are too much....thanks sincerely. :) I commented last with a smiley never thinking anything of it. Sorry if I threw you guys for a loop.

Rimshot, I can give you lots of help here but it depends what YOU consider "faster lead licks" as well as what style you may be looking to borrow from. I'll take it you are most likely looking for rock stuff.

For example, I've always admired Terry Kath (R.I.P.) from Chicago. He was MY first dose of guitar lightning years ago. The Chicago Transit Authority version of 25 or 6 to 4 is absolutely frightening for the times.

Then there are guys like Joe Satriani that sound faster than they really are due to legato techniques where they pick one note and roll 3-4 notes in one shot. This is really cool sounding but takes a properly set up guitar as well as some finger strength because you need to play notes without picking all of them. When you glue some cool scales together and put some feel/bends and a style behind them, you can really come up with some awesome lead solo's. Another guy (most will laugh at me for this) who actually helped me to nail legato was Warren DeMartinni from the band Ratt in the 80's. This was one cool thing about the early 80's...there were some monster players that were getting good tones as well as some killer lead playing. The problem was there were too many of them and not enough good songs.

As Ben noted about the pentatonic scale, most of those guys used stuff like that but they really took it to another level because when then got done, for some you couldn't tell they were "as pentatonic" as they really were. A lot of my style is based on that too. But the key is to paint and tell a story while in that mode...and this is where it gets hard. The key is to try and not make your solos become too scalular. It's really hard and sometimes there is no way around it. However, if you add a little something to it so it doesn't sound like a verbatim scale you learn from a book (though some have used that and it's worked...the solo to Tom Petty's Refuge is all pentatonic to where it's almost right from a book) it at least masks the scale a little showing you have some style. :)

Anybody can show you scales and techniques as well as tabs. All that to me is like having a guy teach you how to use a compressor that you don't own on a song while using a console that you don't own. LOL! It's all moot until someone shows you HOW to apply this stuff in your realm. When you learn a scale, it's nice to know 2-3 different ways to use it and WHEN you would use something like that or it just remains a "practice scale".

There are guys like Yngwie Malmsteen that do the stuff Jeff talks about with the sweep picking...and he also picks EVERY note. This is super clean sounding but takes a decent amount of time to nail because in order to be fast and precise, you have to be slow and productive first. Unfortunately, playing guitar fast is sort of like being an Olympic athlete until you get the mechanics down. It's all repetition and memory. Most of all it's knowing something so good slow, that you speed it up because you're bored and know it well enough. The worst thing is going too fast too soon because then you can pick up habits that are really hard to break. So whatever you do, go into this taking your time and be selective with what you learn. Challenge yourself but don't talk yourself right out of learning this stuff. Some of it can really be disheartening. LOL! But again, it depends on what YOU are particularly looking for in the world of faster guitar passages.

If you like the bluesy side of the speed spectrum, a few of my favorites would be Gary Moore, Joe Bonamassa and Eric Gales. Really killer players (I'm sure you've heard of Gary...some of his older stuff was really killer) that use speed in a good way. Eric's first two albums were his best in my opinion and Joe is just a mutant. But until we can sort of gauge what you're looking to do, it's hard really to set you in the right direction. What players come to mind for you as far as "fast" goes? If you could play like any guitar player...or even a few, who would you name? Stuff like this helps us to see what direction you should be going in. No sense sending you to listen to Tommy Emmanuel or Michael Romeo from Symphony X if you're not into that style. Then again, go listen to Tommy anyway. He's absolutely one of the best players of our time. :) Good luck man.

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/30 15:45:18 (permalink)
Danny Danzi
Another guy (most will laugh at me for this) who actually helped me to nail legato was Warren DeMartinni from the band Ratt in the 80's. This was one cool thing about the early 80's...

Always dug him. It's actually nice to see those players from the 80's re-gaining a bit of recognition - outside of Japan, I mean -  even if it's got a lot to do with nostalgia.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/30 16:05:08 (permalink)
I loved DeMartini's solos. And Gary Moore was awesome, especially his rock stuff in the 80's. Victims Of The Future was a great album. I got to see him in '83. He opened for Krokus, who was on the Headhunter tour, who was opening for Def Leppard on the Pyromania tour. Rick Allen had both arms back then.
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/30 16:13:55 (permalink)
Leadfoot
I loved DeMartini's solos. And Gary Moore was awesome, especially his rock stuff in the 80's. Victims Of The Future was a great album. I got to see him in '83. He opened for Krokus, who was on the Headhunter tour, who was opening for Def Leppard on the Pyromania tour. Rick Allen had both arms back then.

Moore's Dirty Fingers was like a secret club equivalent of Eruption for us. I think there was one older guy in town who had that one Gary Moore album and that's where we heard him. 

Vivian Campbell is another one I dug.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Rimshot
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/30 16:27:37 (permalink)
I have so much info here guys.  Thanks again.  Danny, I have much to listen to based on your comments.  I am going to try to find some YouTube on this stuff.  I am such a beginner with lead technique.  I first have to learn all the technical terms.  Remember that I was a drummer for decades!  Ha, life is good.

Oh, Danny, my group Sue Saad & The Next opened for Ratt in Orange County in early 1980 at some bar in Orange County (south of L.A.). They were just getting started.  I remember their big silky RATT sign they hung in back of the drums on a fairly small stage.  You are right that there were many good players and not enough good songs.

Rimshot

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
Leadfoot
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/30 17:11:41 (permalink)
@ Rain - Definitely. Viv blew a lot of people away when Holy Diver came out.
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/30 20:20:58 (permalink)
Speed is great, and I wish my fingers on both hands could move faster. I personally would never trade speed for soul, however. If I could play with the soulful feel of Gilmour, I would be totally content.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
RobertB
  • Total Posts : 11256
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/31 03:12:50 (permalink)
Danny Danzi
The worst thing is going too fast too soon because then you can pick up habits that are really hard to break.

This has been a recurring theme, but it cannot be overstated.
Practicing badly is a real bugger to overcome.

My Soundclick Page
SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
michaelhanson
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/31 08:29:09 (permalink)
Yes, an incredible amount of wisdom in that statement. It's taken me decades to correct bad habits.

Mike

iTunes:

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/31 10:11:03 (permalink)
MakeShift
Speed is great, and I wish my fingers on both hands could move faster. I personally would never trade speed for soul, however. If I could play with the soulful feel of Gilmour, I would be totally content.

Well said Mike. The thing with Gilmour though...as opposed to *some* of the other blues players is...he doesn't just play the stuff, he lives it and sort of has a theme within his solos. You know like....beginning, middle, climax and end....sort of how I try to write songs. The hardest thing there is....it's VERY hard to teach emotion/feel.

I hope this makes you smile more than make you cringe...as it is a bit sacrilegious but hey...you gotta have fun in life, right? :) A cover band I was in needed to hear the backing music for The Wall minus the solo. So I created a midi of the solo section for the keyboard player especially as he couldn't quite hear the chords. After I sent it, he's like...."great, you send me that and not a version with the solo, ****?!" So I real quick fired up my stuff, threw out a solo from what I remembered in my head from hearing the tune for so long and of course, improvised and called it "brick wall solo ****" for him. LOL! Gilmour I am NOT....fun...I DO have. :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4909348/BrickWithSolo.mp3

One thing about that solo which is another reason I'm posting it is....it combines all the stuff we have talked about. Legato, tapping, arpeggios, (not the sweep kind as that would be a no no in this passage...I ruined it enough as is lmao!) picking every note, bends, trem bar stuff, vibrato bend expression with bar and fingers and a little speed.

Speed of course is sort of an emotion, but it's more repetition at first until you master the "stop and go" as I like to call it. Now that said, quite a few of my older buds bash the faster players as well as myself. In some cases, they are right because there's nothing worse or more boring than a one-trick-pony. However, there are some fast guys that have learned when to step on the gas and when to be emotional. I try my best to be that type of player in my own material. To me, that's what makes it interesting....the ability to change it up. It's like...there's only so much of those old blues guys I can take doing the same old pentecostal scales (as Dweezil calls them lol) at the same speed using the same vibe. I mean, ok they invented a style and they have every right to keep playing exactly the same things in every song and they are great at what they do. But after 25 + songs of that, I've had enough in the same way after hearing 3 Yngwie albums. I've just heard enough.

As for the too fast too soon comment....we all can agree there that it's crucial to not fall into that hole. This is also why I think it's super important for Rimshot to sort of pick out a "speed" style before just jumping into a bunch of different things and the exercises that go with them. For example, Angus Young is a good representation of some good speed that isn't too difficult....he works out of the pentatonic scale (blues scale) and does some really cool licks. Even Ace Frehley from Kiss had some nice solo's that were quick.

See, that's the thing....Angus and Ace are decent in the speed area. Guys like Guthrie Govan or John Petrucci take it to an entirely different hyper speed level. This is why it's nice to shoot for something. Going in "speed steps" is a good thing too. For example, when I started playing guitar for me it was Terry Kath/Jimmy Page/Brian May....then when I heard Eddie Van Halen....whew....my world changed. Then the 80's guys all started entertaining me. Randy Rhoads, Warren DeMartinni, George Lynch, Yngwie Malmsteen, Richie Kotzen, Vinnie Moore, Jason Becker, Tony MacAlpine, Steve Vai, John Sykes.

After that movement...my dumb butt was fast enough but I had 0 feel...no emotion, no taste....no ability to write a real solo that complimented the song. So I had to go back in time and I did everything backwards. Gilmour, Gary Moore, Hendrix, Eric Gales, George Harrison, Neil Schon....all dudes that took you on a journey within their soloing. They played fast too, but they painted a picture. In most instances, you could hum their solos. It wasn't just a bunch if quick scale licks...they literally told a story to me.

So that's how I did it. Was it the wrong way? It's tough to say really. I'm happy with how I turned out as a player and a writer even if what I do isn't for everyone. That's the most important thing in my opinion....being happy with yourself first and foremost. To stay that way.....remember, never go too fast too soon because those possible bad habits will kill ya! :)

-Danny

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Beepster
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/31 13:03:00 (permalink)
Feel is the most important part of playing guitar otherwise you might as well just be using MIDI. That's the one thing us guit wranglers have over many other instruments that can now be easily duplicated by technological wizardry (like bass, drums, piano and if done well even orchestral instruments to an extent) and I do not see going away anytime soon (if ever). Even if the tech does make it possible (and I've seen some very convincing MIDI guitar tracks on youtube recently) it would actually be a hell of a lot easier to just learn how to play a guitar than to program all the nuances that constitute "feel".

Again I'm going to bring up Kurt Cobain (because I seem to be on a Nirvana kick these past few days). Love him or hate him how the heck would you create a program that could make all that racket? The same goes for many of the dirtier styles out there. Most of the really nice sounding MIDI guitar material you hear is either ultra clean/tight metal stuff or ultra clean/tight acoustic stuff. You try to program an Albert King solo and it's gonna sound like computerized garbage no matter how good the program and programming is.

My point? Yeah, speed is cool. I'm fast. I can be real fast when I'm practiced up but I'm also dirty by design. I used to emulate Vai, Satriani and Friedman. After a while though I started leaning toward raunchier stuff like punk, nasty thrash, old timey rock and blues. The former was fast and clean but kind of boring to listen to after a while. The latter had character and life and was ever changing. Combine the two and kabingi... now you've got some control and more importantly something that is more likely to be interesting to listen to than "noodle noodle noodle noodle noodle noodle ad infinitum".

When discussing speed I think the order of importance for being a good guitar player goes something like this...

Knowledge > Strength/Technique >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Speed
michaelhanson
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/31 13:44:18 (permalink)
There's something about imperfection that is more interesting than perfect. Some of the string benders like Albert will actually, purposely bend a little flat or sharp, because it creates a little more interesting tension. How about Keith Richards who has mastered the art of playing in a controlled sloppy manner. Cobain is another example of that style. As you say Beep, guitar is feel.

Mike

iTunes:

BMI
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/09/01 10:29:56 (permalink)
MakeShift
There's something about imperfection that is more interesting than perfect. Some of the string benders like Albert will actually, purposely bend a little flat or sharp, because it creates a little more interesting tension. How about Keith Richards who has mastered the art of playing in a controlled sloppy manner. Cobain is another example of that style. As you say Beep, guitar is feel.

I can certainly agree with that … my profile has this little phrase I made up a long time ago   .

perfection is not the absence of flaws ... it is the blending of the flaws where a unique expression has been expressed perfectly

Kenny 

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

guitartrek
  • Total Posts : 2842
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/09/20 17:14:28 (permalink)
Nice solo Danny!

Have you guys been keeping up to date with Troy Grady?  He developed a type of guitar cam and has been studying various guitar virtuosos in an attempt to de-mystify the act of "fast" guitar playing.  Quite interesting.  He's has taught himself along the way and has developed some great chops.  If you want to learn to play "faster licks" you may want to check out some of the work he's done with some of the worlds greatest guitar players.  This is just an introductory video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGqesXrhXxw
kennywtelejazz
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/09/24 11:22:18 (permalink)
listen to this , then lets talk right hand  
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=8063706 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

guitartrek
  • Total Posts : 2842
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/09/24 23:16:01 (permalink)
Some hot playing there Kenny and nice right hand technique.  Mostly flat pick?
kennywtelejazz
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/09/26 01:02:33 (permalink)
Hello Gino ,

Yes , I'm using a pick for everything …on the octaves , I'm grabbing the higher string w my right hand middle finger .

thanks for giving this a listen 

Kenny

PS , If anybody is interested ... I would be happy to discus what 50 + years of playing the guitar has taught me .

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

kennywtelejazz
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/09/26 01:03:02 (permalink)
hhmm , it seems I double dipped my pick  thank you forum software 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

spacey
  • Total Posts : 8769
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/09/26 08:22:40 (permalink)
IMO Jimmy FWIW and off the top of me head-

"Reaction" is speed.
When one is playing, the speed (reaction to what their mind "hears") happens.
The technique and results of the "speed" is based on how much the player practiced and how.

The theory, learning licks, picking/playing techniques, scales and everything else one may practice are only means to help one gain the ability to "talk" or play what they hear (without much thinking) which also results in their own unique style. ( "second nature" comes to mind.)
To me that is the coolest thing about being a musician. Others may try to sound like you but nobody can.
That is why Carlos could use my equipment and all listening would know it was Carlos playing.

Not unlike training for sports. The quick "natural" reaction of moves they may make are possible
when their training and natural ability take place without the loss of time taken by "over thinking" it.

Not sure that makes sense to others but that's how I see it...or probably the best I can do putting it into words.

Rimshot
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/09/26 08:55:43 (permalink)
Spacey, 
I understand your point and can think of what I want to play but my fingers aren't getting the message - yet.
I can do pretty well on slow leads.
So I have to practice scales and watch some training videos to break me out of my bad habits I think.
Drums, rhythm guitar, and piano come naturally to me but not lead playing.

When I ran my recording studio in Los Angeles, I engineered and produced hundreds of groups.  I was able to work with the lead guitarist and help them with their solos by punching in to redo takes or singing them licks they could play.  I learned that some players may have great technique but had trouble knowing what to play on an original song.  So when I sang to them, they could play it right away!  That's what I am hoping to do some day for myself.
Your point is well taken.  It all starts in the brain.
Thanks.

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
kennywtelejazz
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/09/27 02:59:19 (permalink)
spacey
IMO Jimmy FWIW and off the top of me head-

"Reaction" is speed.
When one is playing, the speed (reaction to what their mind "hears") happens.
The technique and results of the "speed" is based on how much the player practiced and how.

The theory, learning licks, picking/playing techniques, scales and everything else one may practice are only means to help one gain the ability to "talk" or play what they hear (without much thinking) which also results in their own unique style. ( "second nature" comes to mind.)
To me that is the coolest thing about being a musician. Others may try to sound like you but nobody can.
That is why Carlos could use my equipment and all listening would know it was Carlos playing.

Not unlike training for sports. The quick "natural" reaction of moves they may make are possible
when their training and natural ability take place without the loss of time taken by "over thinking" it.

Not sure that makes sense to others but that's how I see it...or probably the best I can do putting it into words.

great post  

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Wookiee
Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
  • Total Posts : 13306
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/09/28 10:02:01 (permalink)
I should spend more time here, thank you, the OP for asking and the rest for answering.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
The Metal One
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/10/02 06:00:19 (permalink)
hate to say it, man, but you need some scale practice. there's a reason every professional guitarist does it...it works.
batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/10/06 13:30:37 (permalink)
there's no one more bad @ss right now, than guthrie.

ridiculously musical while being mind blowing.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1