Helpful ReplyI want to learn some faster lead licks

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Rimshot
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4625
2014/08/21 23:14:07 (permalink)

I want to learn some faster lead licks

Any suggestions on where to go (YouTube) to learn some lead guitar technique?  
I have been messing with my electric for years and have only been able to increase my speed a little.
Let's say we are playing a straight rock or blues groove at 100 BPM.  I want to be able to play 8th not triples lead riffs for one measure.  My left hand can't move fast enough.  
So, do you have a suggestion on how to start learning this outside of practicing scales? 
Is there some kind of picking technique where I don't have to pick each note that speeds things up?

Thanks for helping.
Rimshot

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/21 23:40:20 (permalink)
Jimmy, I'm waiting to see if any Danzi video training videos pop up. 😄

I'm no speed demon either, put it can do a fairly descent short run for a couple bars. I am really only picking about half the notes when I do this and picking up the others with hammer ons and offs.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
bayoubill
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10899
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/21 23:40:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rimshot 2014/08/24 09:38:26
I can help with that Jimmy. 

Part 1 
1st start by isolating your right hand - Do a strum with the strings muted. Create a triplet rhythm
SLOWLY at first accenting on the down and up stroke on the beginning of each triplet.
            Count  One - trip - let  Two trip - let   Three trip - let  Four  trip - let
            keep you right hand in strict up down stum only
Do this for about a minute or till you tighten up. Take a full minute off then do it again
Work it til it becomes a groove. Do the same for the exercise below

2nd - now do this with each individual string. Make sure you right hand is relaxed. Don't tense or tighten up. Start from the high E string and work your way the low E string and back. Count  One - trip - let  Two trip - let   Three trip - let  Four  trip - let etc

3rd - Do a tremolo on say the G string. Start a medium tempo and slowly speed it up. Do it as long as you can. Take a minute break then do it again.

This is the 1 st step in the process. To really permanently improve you have to work at it every day even if only 15 min at a time but every day. I can show you how and it's not hard to do but don't expect to see improvements in 2 weeks. Don't set goals just incorporate into your guitar playing. You will improve beyond where you ever expected possible.  

Part 2  is working your left hand fingers in the same rhythmic way. Let me know if you want me to go on
post edited by bayoubill - 2014/08/21 23:55:50

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

RobertB
  • Total Posts : 11256
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/22 01:57:07 (permalink)
What Bill wrote. Starting slowly is king. You are building muscle memory. When your fingers already know where to go, they don't have to wait for your brain to tell them.

My Soundclick Page
SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
Rimshot
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/22 09:33:57 (permalink)
Thanks Bill for the steps.  I will work on that!  
Thanks Robert for your comment.  I needed that as well.  

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/22 10:55:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rimshot 2014/08/24 09:39:08
hammer-ons,
then pull offs.

practice them simply at first,
using the 1 and 3 finger across 3 frets (whole steps)
do it all the way across the fretboard, high to low, then low to high

then switch from fingers 1 and 3, to fingers 2 and 4

then try doing a stretch. instead of using fingers one and 3, try fingers 1 and 2.

then, fingers 2 and 3...
3 and 4, etc...

this is to build strength.

once you can do this well,
try linking 3 notes together on one string, moving up and down, using hammer ons going up, pull offs going down.

this is just an exercise to get your fingers in the mood to do the faster stuff later.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/22 12:35:32 (permalink)
Hi, Rim. I am in the process of setting myself up to offer private online instruction (as well as some other more general instructional material for the masses). I just got my camera yesterday and am about to dig out/organize my notes/files. It'll take a bit for me to get set up and test things out but I will be looking to take on a limited number of students for personalized lessons. If you are just looking for speed I could certainly help with that and I'm sure we could get you going with only a few modules that you can study at your leisure.

Cheers.
Beepster
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/22 13:30:44 (permalink)
PS: I do far more than the metal stuff I've posted here. I've just been doing that because it's easier to write and mix for me as I learned Sonar and general production. I do blues, blues rock, classic rock and general rock like a fiend which is what I'm assuming you are probably going for. I've also been casually studying jazz recently and have done quite a bit of country and folk (but the latter two I've mostly worked in a rhythm guit/vocal capacity and let others do the lead work... I still understand it though and my methods cover all styles).

Not really a sales pitch. Just letting you know the option is there. Cheers.
Beepster
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/22 14:33:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rimshot 2014/08/24 09:39:02
Advice: Learn/google proper "economic picking". Ideally you'll want to pick as many notes as possible and learning these techniques will help you strike your starter notes when you do actually want to "slur" more effectively so the hammer on/pull offs ring out properly.

When slurring, and in general, you need to obey proper fretting technique with your left hand. Keep the tip segment of your finger at as much of a downward angle toward the fretboard as possible. This means the last nubbin' of your finger should be as close to a right angle in relation to the fretboard as possible and make sure the TIP of your finger is what is being pushed into the fretboard. Not the pad. I see this very often where someone is not using the tip and it leads to sloppy fretting, poor/uncontrolled bends/vibratos and it generally slows the player down. It also mutes the other strings unnecessarily so they aren't as accessible when they need to be. This can be difficult (and sometimes painful) at first. The natural instinct is to use the heel of the thumb as the counterpressure on the back of the neck to successfully fret notes but this restricts the fingers from moving freely and will make people straighten their left hand fingers out which means they aren't fretting with their fingertips... they fret with the pads. The only time you should be using the pads of your fingers is when fretting more than two strings at a time (like a barre). For proper counterpressure from the back of the neck for fretting single notes/doing leads do NOT use the heel of your thumb. Use the pad of the thumb above the second knuckle (the last segment of the thumb where the nail lives). This will force the palm of the hand off the back of the neck of the guitar and allow the fingers to curl toward the fretboard so you can use your fingertips. If this is not how you already play it will be foreign, weird and possibly hurt but the muscles will develop if you stick to it and practice some scales this way. As you move between the top to bottom strings allow your thumb to change position so you are getting the best counterpressure. It is difficult to describe in words but it should become apparent as you play scales or arpeggios across the strings.

Also keep your fingertips as close to the fret as possible (without actually being on top of the fret). The closer you are to the fret the clearer the note will be. This is particularly important when "slurring" (hammer ons/pull offs). If you "hammer on" too far away from the fret it may not cause the string to vibrate as aggressively as it could making it sound dull. If you intend to "pull off" from that poorly vibrating string the second note may not sound good either because the string is already going lifeless (unless you aggressively do your "pull off" but then that sounds unnatural, takes extra strength which might slow you down for the next note in the passage and is easily avoided by simply not allowing the bad fretting to occur in the first place). In the case of pull offs, if the second note isn't fretted properly then again you will end up with a dead sounding note... in fact likely more so than the hammer on note.

The point? Developing your technique so that you are a) using your fingertips and b) keeping those fingertips as close to the fret as you can helps make your playing more defined (which IMO opinions is far more important than playing fast) and helps with speed because of the natural design of the human hand (ie: it moves faster that way and forces the palm of the hand off the back of the fretboard which is very limiting), it is more ergonomic, it allows hammer ons/pull offs two be properly and efficiently executed and it frees up the mind from the mechanics of playing to focus on your next move (instead of forcing your hands to muddle along and getting frustrated at the tone being produced).

Both of those also help immensely with sweet sounding bends and vibratos (however with vibratos you get a little more leverage if you move the string SLIGHTLY more toward the pad of the fingertip... that technique can be viewed by watching BB or Albert King videos).

One final note... practice scales. Get a good scale book and practice the ever bleeding poop out of them with and/or without a metronome. It really is the best way to develop speed and agility.

Cheers.
Beepster
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/22 14:44:38 (permalink)
Also learn chord arpeggios. Not sweeping Yngwie crap. Just how to take a chord, any chord, and play the I, III and V in sequence in first position and then in various formations on the neck. Those are generally the "sweet spots" (but it varies on the type of music you are doing and the chord but I, II, V is a good jumping point/failsafe). Then as you noodle around your scales you can gravitate toward those notes to land on or bend up to. That kind of familiarity with whatever chord you are plugging over top of builds confidence which leads to more calculated licks and speed.

sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/22 15:25:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rimshot 2014/08/24 09:39:21
One word - metronome! Pushing yourself harder with a couple of extra bpm every few minutes works wonders, plus you can keep an objective record of your progress.

Personally I don't use a pick very much because they make me feel a little "detached" from the guitar, but I can get some pretty fast runs going with just my thumb and middle finger, using a combination of picking and slurs. I would recommend practicing everything on an acoustic guitar or with a clean tone through your amp (or unamplified) - it really helps you focus on your accuracy without using distortion as a crutch.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Beepster
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/22 15:46:28 (permalink)
Every guitar teacher/properly trained guitarist on here is going cringe at this but I HATE metronomes and feel that in many ways they can be quite limiting while learning. They can also make a player too rigid to follow a live drummer or kill the little timing fluctuations that can add some feel to one's playing. It certainly IS important to be able to play in perfect time and being able to have benchmarks to set for oneself while learning scales but while the scales/licks/techniques are actually being absorbed I've always found it much better to learn the material, hack through it until it is second nature THEN force it into robot time.

That philosophy has however really screwed me up now that I'm working with MIDI and click tracks in the studio but I'm getting over it. I can keep "time" with whatever wacky drummer or other musicians through sheer feel though which was far more important during all the years of drunken bar gigs.

Learning scales/arpeggios with a clean tone is a very good idea. Hi gain can compensate for poor technique and it does indeed become a crutch. When you have good technique to start with THEN apply the crunch... well that's when you get the Danzi style articulation. I used to be able to play that clean but years of abuse on my hands (construction jobs and generally being an angry smashy guy) coupled with an unfortunate physical ailment has made me a little sloppier so I have to try harder and pay more attention.

I however like a little skankiness in my music so it ain't so bad.
Rimshot
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/22 16:13:47 (permalink)
This is great stuff guys!  Thanks so much.  I don't understand half of what was said so once I get to my Strat and start reading these posts again, I should start to understand better.  
It's all good.

Rimshot

Rimshot 

RobertB
  • Total Posts : 11256
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/22 22:19:59 (permalink)
Along with Beepsters excellent advice, be sure that Strat is set up properly.
There are few things more frustrating than fighting a guitar with too-high action.

My Soundclick Page
SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
bayoubill
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/22 22:54:02 (permalink)
OK Part 2 but first ..TACOS!

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

bayoubill
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/23 00:50:55 (permalink)
YUM! so..
Part Deaux - I will refer this series of Left Hand exercises as finger rolls. index= 1  middle=2 etc.
You want each finger to come down firmly just behind the fret but not overly forceful. Give each finger equal force so the string clearly sounds the note. no 2 fingers down at the same time. These are triplets so are 3 finger rolls. USE A METRONOME (1st finger down gets the click) 
Start and stay at the 5th fret on the G string.
1) roll fingers 1 , 2, and 3 in a triplet pattern. 123123123123123123 in one direction on 5th 6th and 7th frets. Try to stay relaxed and pick a slow to medium tempo. I'd suggest a tempo of 120 to start with. Try non stop for one minute
2) roll fingers 2,3,and 4       234234234234 etc.
3) "      "        124124124124124etc
4) "      "        134134134134134 etc

Focus (close your eyes)

Next reverse 1-4   321321321/432432432/421421421421/43143143

Gradually over time build up your speed

Part 3 is adding the pick to the mixture accenting the 1st note in the triplet. This will build balance with up and down strokes. Next accent with the pick only(left hand doesn't change) the 2nd note of the triplet. Ex. one - TRIP - let two TRIP - let etc. then the 3rd note (one - trip - LET etc.)

It's to start your practice with these exercises. Stay with this at least 2 months and try to do it daily. It doesn't take long. This is part of my daily warm up routine. It will give you results

After a few months use fingers 1 2 3 4 in 16th note patterns. That's Part 4 

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

bayoubill
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/23 00:51:00 (permalink)
I need to add something on left hand muting to these exercises. When you place your fingers on the string slightly touch the 2 adjacent strings above and below so they are muted and don't sound a note. This will help immensely when you get into fast tempos if you start left hand muting now. That way when you are alternate picking your free to accent as needed with your picking hand without any unwanted notes or sounds. Also, there shouldn't be any pressure applied with your left hand thumb on back of the neck. 
post edited by bayoubill - 2014/08/23 01:16:37

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

The Band19
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2795
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/23 02:06:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rimshot 2014/08/24 09:39:36
I would say, find a song with a part (or parts?) that you like, pull it in, and slow it down... Then study those parts. You can take anything anyone has done, and slow it as much as you'd like. You lose sound quality? But you can use this as a tool to figure things out. I'm sure Cake can do this, but I use soundforge and then import in to Sonar. It's a great tool for figuring out how things work. You can combine this tech with controlling the stereo field as some parts are in the middle, and other things are on the sides and using EQ. Then you can practice with it at a slower (much slower) speed, and dissect what is going on. You can combine this with people on youtube "showing you what is going on." With the combination of these techniques "and time" there is no limit to what you can achieve. You are limited ONLY by your imagination. 

Pull up a youtube video of Tony Rice and his all star band playing the bluegrass guitar ;-) At regular speed, "it's difficult to follow?" I watching this one earlier, and remember, they're playing "live?" No tricks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u964a0f38s

I understand the musical style may not translate? However, the fact remains, theory remains, practice, speed, skill and talent, etc.
post edited by The Band19 - 2014/08/23 02:11:19

Sittin downtown in a railway station one toke over the line.
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/23 13:43:30 (permalink)
MakeShift

LOL! You mean I may actually serve a purpose somewhere? Who am I kiddin' :-)

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/23 13:51:00 (permalink)
You bring to the table more than you will ever know Brother.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
Beepster
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/23 14:45:56 (permalink)
Danny Danzi
MakeShift

LOL! You mean I may actually serve a purpose somewhere? Who am I kiddin' :-)

While "humble" and "self effacing" are some of my favorite personality traits in humans you must know how revered you are here. If you don't then I'll take the liberty of speaking for many of us forumites and say your skill, knowledge, generosity and kindness make you a giant on this board. I think you have made anyone who's been paying attention better engineers with your presence.

Peace.
Rimshot
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/23 18:20:43 (permalink)
Hey guys, I really appreciate all the wonderful tips and suggestions to help me with my goal.  Thank you much.  I have lots to work on now!

Rimshot

Rimshot 

Rimshot
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/23 18:27:55 (permalink)
Danny, 
No need to feel that way -ever!  
This is just a simple thread about how to learn some lead techniques.  
Your help is always welcome.  I am such a beginner with lead playing and this thread is really positive about that.  

As Beepster said, you have always contributed so much on these boards.  Don't know what else to say but I am sorry you feel that way but it is not real my friend.  You have tons of admirers including me.

Rimshot

Rimshot 

Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/23 20:53:59 (permalink)
I don't think it's been mentioned yet. If it has, I'm sorry. Beepster has an excellent point about playing on your fingertips and not the pads of your fingers. I just wanted to add that it's very important that you keep your fingernails on your fretting hand AS SHORT AS POSSIBLE. If you don't, it can actually force you to play on the pads of your fingers.
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/24 02:17:47 (permalink)
Leadfoot
I don't think it's been mentioned yet. If it has, I'm sorry. Beepster has an excellent point about playing on your fingertips and not the pads of your fingers. I just wanted to add that it's very important that you keep your fingernails on your fretting hand AS SHORT AS POSSIBLE. If you don't, it can actually force you to play on the pads of your fingers.

LOL I am as guilty as hell of playing with uncut fingernails....I'm soooo lazy I'll just temporarily change my technique rather than cut them 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/24 11:53:40 (permalink)
Yep, I've been there, too.
Agentcalm
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 257
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/26 17:17:24 (permalink)
Hey Beepster and Leadfoot, nice info on the fingetip tip (if you know what I mean).
A few of the things you mentioned there Beep about accidently muting other strings, poor vibrato etc are things i am constantly suffering from.  and when i do a recording it really shows.  I'll practice that "finger tip position" so to speak.   Thanks again guys.  :) 

Southern kin y'all 
bayoubill
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/26 18:03:21 (permalink)
I do everything wrong 

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

BenMMusTech
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2606
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/26 19:00:22 (permalink)
All I can add to this is, 28 years of practice has got me to the point where I can shred...although I'm not a classical type shredder.  What I would suggest is learning an easier scale paradigm such as the pentatonic scales, which is my meat and butter.  Most Pink Floyd is pentatonic.  From here you can add some modes to the pentatonic scale, my fav is the Phrygian again because of Pink Floyd, also the blues mode and you really have enough scales to build upon.

Oh weights do some weight training to strengthen your wrists and forearms, I use a 4.5kg dumb bell to do about 80 reps on each arm every couple of days and finally use a acoustic steel string.  It builds up strength again and helps you get use to resistance, then when you go to an electric you will find your pace is even faster.  Also use about .11 gauge strings on the acoustic.

Ben 

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
http://1331.space/
https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: I want to learn some faster lead licks 2014/08/26 19:52:09 (permalink)
Sweep picking. To me (non guitarist that is) it sems like the most sensible way to go about it. Less movement across the strings. Listen to the sweep picking master, Frank Gambale of course who else. Maybe look into learning the technique. Just some random thoughts.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1