Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
2018/09/27 08:51:57 (permalink)

Ice Road Tele

Hi all ,

Ice Road Tele
https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson/ice-road-tele
This is my first and only take over the Twanger Central 160 Backing Track
I wanted to keep it simple and melodic ..I hope I achieved that goal .
More importantly I hope some of you here on the forum enjoy the guitar playing
Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

37 Replies Related Threads

daryl1968
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: Ice Road Tele 2018/09/27 10:25:25 (permalink)
    Hi Kenny - long time no talk. I hope you are well mate.
    This is some lovely playing and the guitar tone is fecking fantastic
    kennywtelejazz
    Re: Ice Road Tele 2018/09/29 18:58:13 (permalink)
    Thank you Daryl

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Ice Road Tele 2018/09/29 19:50:48 (permalink)
    This is cool Kenny. Lovely phrasing and dynamics, tasty controlled bends too. Good to hear you play after a long time 

Had to smile at that lick at 0:27, I do that a lot, what would you call it?

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Johnbee58
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 946
    Re: Ice Road Tele 2018/09/29 20:42:53 (permalink)
    Ooohhhh!  This is delicious.  Very sexy and jazzy.  Your guitar work is superb.

John B.

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
    NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
    Wayfarer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 831
    Re: Ice Road Tele 2018/09/29 23:37:45 (permalink)
    Sounds good Kenny. You still got the chops. (I've been looking for mine. So that's where they went!) But, that's a Tele? i would have thought it was a LP or something. Well, it sounds real good, whatever it is.

Bill
    kennywtelejazz
    Re: Ice Road Tele 2018/09/30 05:48:45 (permalink)
    jamesg1213
    This is cool Kenny. Lovely phrasing and dynamics, tasty controlled bends too. Good to hear you play after a long time 

Hi James ,
    One this clip I wanted to get away from playing my guitar as a guitarist and play it  more along the lines of how I would sound on the guitar if I could sing w my voice  . I'm glad you enjoyed .

jamesg1213
    Had to smile at that lick at 0:27, I do that a lot, what would you call it?

Gulp, for now I'm just gonna have to call it the lick that made me realize what I smoked 5 mins ago just kicked in

thanks for giving this one a listen .

Johnbee58
    Ooohhhh!  This is delicious.  Very sexy and jazzy.  Your guitar work is superb.

John B.

Hello John ,

I'm glad my guitar playing reached you . thank you for the super kind words you said

Wayfarer
    Sounds good Kenny. You still got the chops. (I've been looking for mine. So that's where they went!) But, that's a Tele? i would have thought it was a LP or something. Well, it sounds real good, whatever it is.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Yes my Chops went MIA for a while , so I do know the feeling ...

I couldn't play for a few months . It was just way too painful to move my right arm and place it over the guitars body for proper right hand picking and playing movement .

For healing and motivation I put all my guitars away. I needed a fresh motivation for my new ground zero .
    I went out and bought me a brand new Squier Tele in Racing Green w a little battery powered amp .
    The Tele I bought looks just like this one from a store photo

No matter where I was in my apt ( even in the crapper ) I had this little guitar and amp rig in my line of vision ...
    I would just sit there all by my self or with my dog Duke and tell myself I 'm gonna get back into playing again ..

I remember when I started to play again I could only last about 5 mins before the  pain would shut me down ..
    For about the past 6 weeks ,  I have been able to play w out getting shut out VIA the pain .

I'm very happy you like my guitar playing and the sound it makes on this tune

all the best ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Ice Road Tele 2018/09/30 14:34:17 (permalink)
    Always a pleasure to hear you play Kenny, good also to know things are improving for you health wise.

Loved this sweet tones, phrasing and feel.   

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Wayfarer
    Re: Ice Road Tele 2018/09/30 16:33:24 (permalink)
    I didn't know you were in pain like that. Glad you got through it!

I really like green Tele's. I think forest green is my favorite shade, but I like them all. The best Tele's I've ever played were lake placid blue from the late 60's that had faded to green. I don't know why, but every one I ever played just sounded incredible.

My current Tele (and my Tele for life!) is one I put together from parts I found mostly on eBay. It's a sunburst MIM body with a neck I bought from a guy in Canada who ships Canadian Rock Maple to some place in Korea that makes them into Tele and Strat necks built to his specs. Mine has a 1 3/4" nut width to accommodate more intricate jazz chords and fingerpicking. I like MIM bodies because you can still fit the old 3-barrel brass bridges on them, and they just have a thick, meaty, bluesy sound that I've never gotten with any other saddles. Intonation? We don't need no stinking intonation.  And if you ever look to going noiseless with pickups, I highly recommend these Dimarzio Area T pups. No one would ever know they had a dummy coil. They have some kind of dampening material around the dummy coil that does a great job of keeping it's magnetism from interacting with the main coil. Dimarzio really has this noiseless thing down.

Bill
    eph221
    Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4665
    Re: Ice Road Tele 2018/09/30 17:17:54 (permalink)
    I like watching that show *ice road truckers*.  While not a fan of green guitars,  I am a fan of your playing.  It was very thoughtful and heartfelt beginning to end.

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
     Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
    32GB RAM
    WINDOWS 10
    My Ass
    Cubase 9.5

emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: Ice Road Tele 2018/09/30 20:38:44 (permalink)
    one take? sheesh that's how you play an axe.

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    Jesse Screed
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1158
    Re: Ice Road Tele 2018/10/01 23:07:49 (permalink)
    i have nothing to add

wish i could share a cup with you

but we are worlds apart

besides, it is whatevah

Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re: Ice Road Tele 2018/10/02 15:54:11 (permalink)
    You definitely haven't lost your chops.  Great stuff Kenny.  I'm glad that your are back on the forum and I hope you are on the mend.
    biodiode
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1202
    Re: Ice Road Tele 2018/10/02 16:23:34 (permalink)
    Nice one Kenny; nothing to critique here. Sorry to hear that you have been in pain. It is frustrating when a physical ailment prevents you from doing what you love.

www.biodiode.com  
    https://soundcloud.com/biodiode
    PC Specs :-Sonar Platinum,
    Fractal Design Define R4 Case, Asus X-99 Deluxe motherboard, Intel Core i7 5960X Processor, Bequiet BK010 Dark Rock Cooler, 32GB - 2400mhz Corsair memory, 650W Bequiet Dark Pro PSU, 1GB XFX Radeon R5 Passive GFX, 2 x 256GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD, 1 x 3TB WesterDigital Black HDD, LG - BluRay Combo Drive, Windows 10, Kensington SlimBlade Trackball, LG34UM88C 34-Inch 3440 x 1440 UltraWide IPS Monitor
    Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re: Ice Road Tele 2018/10/02 18:28:05 (permalink)
    As always Kenny I knew what to expect here. Only the best. I can tell you don't struggle with the guitar at all. One pass and no retakes further proves this.

Imaginative, well done. Top notch!

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re: Ice Road Tele 2018/10/04 07:52:30 (permalink)
    Hey, Kenny,

It's really great to hear something new from you, brother!

Dynamite playing, sweet melodies and phrasing, as always from you, and killer clean tone from that new Tele!  A new instrument always seems to inspire fresh creativity and motivation!

Glad to hear your arm is improving, and hopefully we'll be hearing more new stuff from you soon!

Fantastic track Kenny, have a good one, buddy!
    Bob

kennywtelejazz
    Re: Ice Road Tele 2018/10/04 12:07:02 (permalink)
    Wookiee
    Always a pleasure to hear you play Kenny, good also to know things are improving for you health wise.

Loved this sweet tones, phrasing and feel.   

Hi Wookiee ,

The health thing pulled me away from my music into what seemed like a bad gravitational orbit .
    For the sake of the conversation lets just color that one a freaking Dark Place I was lucky to have temporarily escaped from

I'm glad I put up a new music clip . That may indeed turn out too be the best medicine I can do right now .
    In the end , it seems that my only real pay off is to do my best while playing and hope that I hit a few notes that people enjoy listening too..
    I'm super happy you enjoyed my tone , phrasing and feel .

FWIW , I happen to enjoy my playing much better over here too when I show a little restraint and leave out the kitchen sink

all the best ,

Kenny
    post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2018/10/04 12:33:24

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

kennywtelejazz
    Re: Ice Road Tele 2018/10/04 12:19:10 (permalink)
    Wayfarer
    I didn't know you were in pain like that. Glad you got through it!

I really like green Tele's. I think forest green is my favorite shade, but I like them all. The best Tele's I've ever played were lake placid blue from the late 60's that had faded to green. I don't know why, but every one I ever played just sounded incredible.

My current Tele (and my Tele for life!) is one I put together from parts I found mostly on eBay. It's a sunburst MIM body with a neck I bought from a guy in Canada who ships Canadian Rock Maple to some place in Korea that makes them into Tele and Strat necks built to his specs. Mine has a 1 3/4" nut width to accommodate more intricate jazz chords and fingerpicking. I like MIM bodies because you can still fit the old 3-barrel brass bridges on them, and they just have a thick, meaty, bluesy sound that I've never gotten with any other saddles. Intonation? We don't need no stinking intonation.  And if you ever look to going noiseless with pickups, I highly recommend these Dimarzio Area T pups. No one would ever know they had a dummy coil. They have some kind of dampening material around the dummy coil that does a great job of keeping it's magnetism from interacting with the main coil. Dimarzio really has this noiseless thing down.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Oh Yeah , I got through the broken arm and some of the other pains my age has brought on .
    As far as my PTSD , mental and emotional pains , I'm afraid I will have no such luck ... 

My truth is when it comes time to play my guitar , I know some of that extra stuff on my plate has contributed to the emotional intensity of my playing. Such is life when your a wing nut 

Cool story on your Tele , I love hearing Tele stories ....I have currently  4 .

nice talking with you

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

kennywtelejazz
    Re: Ice Road Tele 2018/10/04 12:29:19 (permalink)
    eph221
    I like watching that show *ice road truckers*.  While not a fan of green guitars,  I am a fan of your playing.  It was very thoughtful and heartfelt beginning to end.

Alright Wait a Second Here ...
    Who stole Dave's forum login and posted this kind heartfelt message of Peace and Musical Brotherhood ?
    In all honesty , + all kidding aside .
    It means a lot too me that you would say such a kind word of encouragement too me .
    Thank You Dave , you have made my night .

all the best ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

kennywtelejazz
    Re: Ice Road Tele 2018/10/04 12:55:40 (permalink)
    I have been MIA for a few days . A friend of mine gave me one of his old Win 7 laptops ...
    Setting this thing up for music seems to be real PITA and its eating up a great deal of my computer time ...
    I'm mentioning all this because I don't want to have anyone felling snubbed due to my thread management latency issues ...
    I personally don't like it if someone leaves me hanging for more than a day or two when I post a comment in one of the Song Threads ...I am aware that some of you have taken the time and I don't want to leave you hanging . 

Also , I plan on returning the favor of the song listens ( including hearing tunes that folks have up that haven't commented on my tune )

Gulp,  excuses, excuses , excuses ! huh Kenny ?
    Attention Soldier . Chop chop .  Fall in & handle your biznezz

Kenny .

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

kennywtelejazz
    Re: Ice Road Tele 2018/10/05 12:11:45 (permalink)
    emeraldsoul
    one take? sheesh that's how you play an axe.

Thank you for the Kind Words you said  emeraldsoul  I'm glad you enjoyed my playing

When I was still very young I had taken a fork in the Road .
    The ability to improvise and play in the moment with confidence while expressing absolute freedom of expression has always been very high on my list of playing attributes I have striven to learn .
    Some days I can just nail it ..
    Other days with out any prior warning The Guitar & Music decides to show me who's the boss and Just Beat$ my A$$
    Either way, whether I like it or not .
    I will always let the chips fall where they may ....

all the best,

Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2018/10/05 12:34:27

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

kennywtelejazz
    Re: Ice Road Tele 2018/10/08 02:49:43 (permalink)
    Jesse Screed
    i have nothing to add

wish i could share a cup with you

but we are worlds apart

besides, it is whatevah

He J S I 'm glad you heard the tune .

Say we can't all date the prom Queen .When life throws you a curve ball like that .
    It's time to dig deep and reach inside your guts to call forth a  modern day Hemingway

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

kennywtelejazz
    Re: Ice Road Tele 2018/10/08 02:59:55 (permalink)
    Freddy J
    You definitely haven't lost your chops.  Great stuff Kenny.  I'm glad that your are back on the forum and I hope you are on the mend.

Hi Freddy ,

I 'm doing my best to hang in there . Some days can be challenging .

A big Thank you for the kind words .

all the best ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

kennywtelejazz
    Re: Ice Road Tele 2018/10/08 03:13:51 (permalink)
    biodiode
    Nice one Kenny; nothing to critique here. Sorry to hear that you have been in pain. It is frustrating when a physical ailment prevents you from doing what you love.

Hi biodiode ,

Oh my , I think I'm in deep $hit , I think the government must have raided my stash and slipped me an herbal enhancer that forces me to tell the truth no matter what I can not tell a lie .It was me . I did chop down that Tele Tree .

Anyway this is exactly the type of tune I like to put out when I'm just looking to share some guitar playing around here with the fellas or the one or two  ladies around here that may be in deep hiding .
    I'm sort of glad when I get  no critiques  Only because I may be looking to get an occasional pat on the back 

nice talking with you ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

kennywtelejazz
    Re: Ice Road Tele 2018/10/11 00:06:50 (permalink)
    Starise
    As always Kenny I knew what to expect here. Only the best. I can tell you don't struggle with the guitar at all. One pass and no retakes further proves this.

Imaginative, well done. Top notch!

Hello Tim ,

Thank you for saying the kindest of words

I do struggle with the guitar , but not in the same way as most people do .
    The short story is 10 years ago I had a real bad cycling accident .The doc put me back together w some metal parts in my left arm and he told me considering the extent of my injury's I was to consider myself very lucky .
    He also told me he had done the best he could do .

As a result of this , I lost my normal comfortable playing posture of most of my guitar life with that accidents recovery . Then I spent 10 years trying to readjust myself to a new playing posture  ....
    Now after breaking up the right side of my body ,  I'm back to having to readjust my playing to using  2 sides of my body where I have flexibility and range of motion issues on both sides
    ( trust me here when I say this ....a laugh smiley ain't what I want to put there ...)

As far as my whole playing a guitar solo in one take goes . I would not be willing to accept anything less for myself.
    Now granted if you hit me with a tune I have no Idea how to play over or Giant Steps in the key of Cb  w a tempo of 287 ...
    I don't know ...Hey wait Giant Steps starts out w a B Maj 7 ...oh well there goes that theory

IMHO , it's all about being comfortable in your own skin while your playing and being able to let go...
    For that to happen one must have a large degree of inner trust in their playing abilities  and the desire to let the chips fall where they may fall as the music is being played in real time ....
    Whats  the worst that can happen ?
    My playing is gonna be black listed as An Atonal Musical Clam Bake
    So What if that happens . I have survived my own suckyness  for decades and now it's time too pay some people back
    (just kidding )

For those of you out there that want to improve your solo's and guitar playing , I can only offer you the very simple suggestions I have used all my guitar playing life .

These tips are of my own creation since nobody out there in music and the guitar world had the balls to hip me to these ideas. That be the truth Mo Fo's

When you practice,  learn to practice things that will also help you express ( eventually ) who you are as an individual player with the goal of having a sound that is uniquely yours ....

What's the point of practicing scales if all your ever gonna do is put the guitar in drive , hit and mash the gas into the fret board and drive around the parking lot doing endless donuts and skid marks ? 

All things in music have a hidden structure and meaning ...
    For example , scales can unlock all the relationships of harmonic content in music ...when you practice them don't just run them change up the sequence and order of the intervals and then run them . You may be pleasantly surprised at how easy this is to do and what you may find  .

More importantly because you can do this next one right now Here's a tip I came up with a long time ago that is worth it's weight in Strats and Les Pauls .

It has been said ...A Picture is worth a thousand words . Why not run with it and use this concept for music ?

I always create a story or a mental picture of what I want my musical parts / guitar playing  to sound like before I even play a note ...
    Have you ever seen a little girl having an imaginary tea party ? all her tea party guests have names , they all have personality's and while they are there at the tea party they are LOVED by the little girl ....

Now Kenny isn't a little girl he is a big bad a$$ed smelly old fart  with a grey beard w a chip on the right shoulder balanced with a chip on the left shoulder sheesh he can't get a valentine on V Day because he ain't got nothing but lint in his wallet , but when it comes to playing guitar he does know a thing or two ....

For an example , I'm gonna use my Classic mental trick AKA "The ForestTeleGump "
    This is true folks , sometimes I picture myself sitting there at the bus stop in character as ForestTeleGump .
    While I'm sitting there I'm telling stories about each and every musical part of a song I'm working on .
    Just like in the movie I have been everywhere and done everything with every one
    I love making up names for each musical character and once I have an idea of what the overall personality of the part is gonna be I stick to the character while I am recording ...

Now I can go on and and on ...but I wont ...the essence of what I am saying here is to always tell a story when you play ...

Next time you sit down to play or record try it for yourself ...make up a story for the part you about to play and tell it .

any way I hope you have enjoyed the far side of my mind ..
    As I like to say ,
    If a picture is worth a thousand words then a ForrestTeleGump story on the fret board is worth a thousand notes

Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2018/10/11 00:28:02

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

bjornpdx
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re: Ice Road Tele 2018/10/11 01:48:50 (permalink)
    Kenny
    Well I was going to write something profound but I can't express it. Just saying
    that I appreciate hearing about your approach to music.
    And I really liked the song and how you played it.

Bjorn
    soundcloud.com/orygun
    www.bjornfredrickson.com
    https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/BjornFredrickson

Purrfect Audio Pro Studio, RME UCX
    Cakewalk by Bandlab,  Studio One,  Reaper
    Wayfarer
    Re: Ice Road Tele 2018/10/11 16:30:38 (permalink)
    You should consider getting a harmonic holder and becoming the world's greatest harmonic player. "Look ma, no hands!" 

Glad you're getting the hang of this guitar thing though. 
    kennywtelejazz
    Re: Ice Road Tele 2018/10/18 16:32:55 (permalink)
    bjornpdx
    Kenny
    Well I was going to write something profound but I can't express it. Just saying
    that I appreciate hearing about your approach to music.
    And I really liked the song and how you played it.

Hi bjornpdx ,
    I get where you are coming from , you don't have to say it .
    I'm just glad I made a connection with you and brought a moments worth of genuine sharing to the table .
    thank you for the song listen and comment .

Hi Bob ,

thanks for giving this tune a listen and welcoming me back here . It means a lot

Wayfarer
    You should consider getting a harmonic holder and becoming the world's greatest harmonic player. "Look ma, no hands!" 

Glad you're getting the hang of this guitar thing though. 

Hi Bill ,

I had one of them harmonica holder things , I felt like a T Rex while wearing that thing while I was playing the guitar
    It made my arms to short to grab the harmonica when ever I let go of the guitar to cup the harmonica .
    I think I gave that thing to a neighbor who was having a week end garage sale ...
    Last I heard some younger girl that sings and dances paid 50 cents for it and used it for a stage prop

Here is some of my harmonica playing
    https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/player.cfm?songID=4688002

It sounds just like the way that girl in the pic looks

all the best,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

dougk1824
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 272
    Re: Ice Road Tele 2018/10/18 17:02:24 (permalink)
    Excellent guitar playing - nice job.
    Voda La Void
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 723
    Re: Ice Road Tele 2018/10/18 18:46:33 (permalink)
    Yes, I think you absolutely achieved your goal of simple and melodic.  Really tasty phrasing and note selection, and you can feel your restraint in the playing.  Excellent playing, man.  

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1