Helpful ReplyIf only I could have learned how to sight read music

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
eph221
Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4665
Re: If only I could have learned how to sight read music 2017/06/20 22:28:23 (permalink)
sharke
eph221
I had a hard time, because I started so young and my teachers taught me PATTERNS on the fretboard instead of learning the dots.  This was very confusing to me because I could see, for instance a pentatonic PATTERN on the fretboard, but it was divorced from any harmonic meaning.

That was the case with me too, although I never had any lessons. I picked stuff out from tutorials in guitar magazines, and from learning all the solos off "Kill Em All" note for note 

I still have a very pattern-centric view of the fretboard, as I'm sure most guitarists who improvise do. But when I learned to read music, what it did was take my focus away from fretboard patterns. It did this mainly because I was forced to stop looking at the fretboard while I was playing. Instead of looking at frets, I was now looking at notes on a stave. Learning pieces stopped being about learning shapes on the fretboard and more about remembering what the music looked like on paper. The upshot is that when I learn a piece from sight reading the music, I find it hard to remember how to play it without the music. Whereas when I learn a piece by ear, all of my usual muscle memory and pattern recognition kicks in. 

And I thought I was the only one!

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
 Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1