Helpful ReplyImport Issues Affecting Settings? 8.5 to X3

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
jonnewyork
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 263
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/16 11:08:31 (permalink)
I don't know if these are clues, but they might be:

I'd gotten error messages stating that some of the older plugs no longer worked or weren't "recognized" on other songs. I have no problem deleting these and saving a version of the project without them, opening that and putting new plugins on, if that's what I have to do. The data loss that concerns me is the loss of editing and automation.

On a couple of 8.5.3 PE projects, I did this and sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't. I would put the blue tubes oil can delay, for example, into the fx window but it wouldn't "see" a signal. The icon showed up but it didn't do anything.

VC64 still works in some cases... should it? It's no longer in the fx bin.

Cheers,
 Jon

Win 7 Pro
Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40 GHz, 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM
64 bit op sys
Lynx Aurora 16 ADC w/ AES16e card

jonnewyork
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/16 11:13:24 (permalink)
"OK I see where this thread is going, sadly you would rather vent at people trying to help then get to the bottom of your issue it seems"

You misunderstanding and condescension aren't helpful. Avoid the temptation to attempt to read my mind.

Cheers,
 Jon

Win 7 Pro
16 GB RAM
64 bit op sys

Splat
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/16 11:16:04 (permalink)
Funny that I was going to say exactly the same thing. Bye.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
jonnewyork
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/16 11:30:34 (permalink)
CakeAlexS
You have taken me totally out of context and bent it so you can vent at somebody in an aggressive manner. Never mind I will take it on the chin.

I see where this thread is going, sadly you would rather vent at people trying to help then get to the bottom of your issue it seems, been here before sadly and have become wise to it. People have already asked a few questions to help you and you haven't provided feedback.

Yes I have. I guess you didn't notice that I have been trying to provide what I hope may be clues in pursuit of a solution. But I guess you didn't read my posts and are more focused on making me a bad guy.

That's alright, I'll take it on the chin. Now we're both martyrs!

Good luck I hope you find a solution (and calm down!).

I didn't realize I was so excited

It's a matter of perspective, I guess. You think I'm being aggressive, I think you have a thin skin and are being over sensitive. And are skimming my posts without really reading them.

Cheers,
 Jon

Win 7 Pro
16 GB RAM
64 bit op sys

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/16 11:34:37 (permalink)
jonnewyork
"What makes you think that nobody here hasn't experienced data loss with an application?"

What makes you think that I think that nobody here hasn't experienced data loss with an application? Please don't put words into my mouth.

"I am willing to bet everybody here has done so."

So the platform is inherently buggy?

Well, don't put works in his mouth, either. He said with an application. That includes the docs I've lost in Word by trying to open older files that the new version won't recognize (and the old version that created the document won't run on current operating systems). 

Case in point: the mute buttons on the stereo busses don't work.

It's not like anyone's trying to hide that fact. The documentation has exclamation marks next to an indented tip offset with a separate color background that says:

Note: Output ports that are used by the External Insert plug-in are excluded from all track and bus Output controls.

Note: Input ports that are used by the External Insert plug-in are excluded from all track and bus Input controls.

The external output and input are not part of the busing structure that Sonar creates inside the computer. I'm no coder either, but I suspect that means a separate module would need to be developed, different from the internal bus output and input controls, to add this functionality. I doubt that would be a trivial task, and I don't know how relevant it would be to most users. However, those buses are now under the hardware's domain. I don't know about the Lynx mixer applet, but you may be able to do the soloing and muting you want to do with the applet.

FYI this is something even the Mighty Apple hasn't solved. The following is from Sound on Sound magazine discussing Logic's external insert, which is very much like Sonar's and hasn't changed much since this was written:

"...This plug-in doesn't work quite as expected. If you hit the solo button, for example, the audio is actually muted! Also, if you use sends to route audio to the I/O plug-in on an Aux, the Aux return is muted, even in 'solo-safe' mode, when you solo the main channel. "We haven't yet mentioned using external hardware to process a whole mix to, say, compress and EQ a master output in the hardware domain, before limiting using a plug-in — potentially one of the most common applications of external hardware devices in a DAW. Using the processes covered already in this article, the obvious way to set up such a system is to insert an instance of the I/O plug-in on an output object, so the signal is routed through your hardware before it reaches your speakers. But this also works a little strangely, whereby soloing any channel strip mutes the entire output! In Logic 7, putting an I/O plug-in on an output didn't work properly either, and the workaround was to route all your track outputs through a bus, on which you insert an instance of the I/O plug-in: a technique that can still be applied in Logic 8."

As soon as external hardware gets into the picture, all bets are off. My favorite is people who complain Sonar has a "bug" that doesn't let them instantiate more than one instance of external hardware. Hello?!? It's hardware and there's only one of them!!! Or the other "bug" that you can't do faster than real time bounces with external hardware. Of course not - the hardware is independent of the computer and you have to stream audio in real time. Anyway, back to the original issue. We STILL need to know what happens if you open an 8.5.3 project in 8.5.3 so we can find out whether Sonar X3 is related to the issue or not.

This is important because your thread title is "X3 Destroying Work," which is probably wrong and therefore wasting time by causing people to look in the wrong places.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Anderton
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/16 11:38:11 (permalink)
jonnewyork
I don't know if these are clues, but they might be:

I'd gotten error messages stating that some of the older plugs no longer worked or weren't "recognized" on other songs. I have no problem deleting these and saving a version of the project without them, opening that and putting new plugins on, if that's what I have to do. The data loss that concerns me is the loss of editing and automation.

On a couple of 8.5.3 PE projects, I did this and sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't. I would put the blue tubes oil can delay, for example, into the fx window but it wouldn't "see" a signal. The icon showed up but it didn't do anything.

This is why people have asked what happens if you open in Safe Mode, which takes plug-ins out of the picture.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/16 11:57:46 (permalink)
Hi - you have been back in this thread for about an hour now, and I am wondering if you are planning to respond to my earlier request for some information and post that information.

If so, cool, and I will use that info to try to help.

If not, also cool, I will move on to a different thread.

I would just like to know, one way of the other, so I am not left hanging on whether or not you would like me to try to help you.

Thanks, 

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
jonnewyork
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/16 12:22:05 (permalink)
Anderton
jonnewyork
"What makes you think that nobody here hasn't experienced data loss with an application?"

What makes you think that I think that nobody here hasn't experienced data loss with an application? Please don't put words into my mouth.

"I am willing to bet everybody here has done so."

So the platform is inherently buggy?

Well, don't put works in his mouth, either. He said with an application. That includes the docs I've lost in Word by trying to open older files that the new version won't recognize (and the old version that created the document won't run on current operating systems). 

Case in point: the mute buttons on the stereo busses don't work.

It's not like anyone's trying to hide that fact. The documentation has exclamation marks next to an indented tip offset with a separate color background that says:

Note: Output ports that are used by the External Insert plug-in are excluded from all track and bus Output controls.

Note: Input ports that are used by the External Insert plug-in are excluded from all track and bus Input controls.

The external output and input are not part of the busing structure that Sonar creates inside the computer. I'm no coder either, but I suspect that means a separate module would need to be developed, different from the internal bus output and input controls, to add this functionality. I doubt that would be a trivial task, and I don't know how relevant it would be to most users. However, those buses are now under the hardware's domain. I don't know about the Lynx mixer applet, but you may be able to do the soloing and muting you want to do with the applet.

FYI this is something even the Mighty Apple hasn't solved. The following is from Sound on Sound magazine discussing Logic's external insert, which is very much like Sonar's and hasn't changed much since this was written:

"...This plug-in doesn't work quite as expected. If you hit the solo button, for example, the audio is actually muted! Also, if you use sends to route audio to the I/O plug-in on an Aux, the Aux return is muted, even in 'solo-safe' mode, when you solo the main channel. "We haven't yet mentioned using external hardware to process a whole mix to, say, compress and EQ a master output in the hardware domain, before limiting using a plug-in — potentially one of the most common applications of external hardware devices in a DAW. Using the processes covered already in this article, the obvious way to set up such a system is to insert an instance of the I/O plug-in on an output object, so the signal is routed through your hardware before it reaches your speakers. But this also works a little strangely, whereby soloing any channel strip mutes the entire output! In Logic 7, putting an I/O plug-in on an output didn't work properly either, and the workaround was to route all your track outputs through a bus, on which you insert an instance of the I/O plug-in: a technique that can still be applied in Logic 8."

As soon as external hardware gets into the picture, all bets are off. My favorite is people who complain Sonar has a "bug" that doesn't let them instantiate more than one instance of external hardware. Hello?!? It's hardware and there's only one of them!!! Or the other "bug" that you can't do faster than real time bounces with external hardware. Of course not - the hardware is independent of the computer and you have to stream audio in real time. Anyway, back to the original issue. We STILL need to know what happens if you open an 8.5.3 project in 8.5.3 so we can find out whether Sonar X3 is related to the issue or not.

This is important because your thread title is "X3 Destroying Work," which is probably wrong and therefore wasting time by causing people to look in the wrong places.

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. I didn't realize it was so difficult for a DAW to do. And I realize that I'm an outlier in that probably 99.9% of users are happy with software compressors. I'll deal with it, no biggie. Thanks for taking the time to write such an informative post.

Cheers,
 Jon

Win 7 Pro
16 GB RAM
64 bit op sys

jonnewyork
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/16 12:33:09 (permalink)

robert_e_bone
Hi - you have been back in this thread for about an hour now, and I am wondering if you are planning to respond to my earlier request for some information and post that information.

If so, cool, and I will use that info to try to help.

Thanks, I appreciate it. If you can tell me the type of information that would be helpful and how to access it I'll get it and post it. I have to leave shortly to go to my cousin's retirement party so I'll likely be out of the picture for the rest of the day.

In the meantime, maybe someone can come up with a more accurate thread title?

Cheers,
 Jon

Win 7 Pro
16 GB RAM
64 bit op sys

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/16 12:42:51 (permalink)
jonnewyork
In the meantime, maybe someone can come up with a more accurate thread title?

Clueless?

<===== indication that I think I'm funny (which I'm not).

robert_e_bone
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/16 12:56:14 (permalink)
@johnnewyork, 

Here is the link to the post with my questions: http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3079438

In addition, a couple of folks were also asking what happens if you open one of these problematic projects in Safe Mode, skipping the plugins.

Bob Bone

Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/16 13:35:48 (permalink)
robert_e_bone
@johnnewyork, 

Here is the link to the post with my questions: http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3079438

Maybe he just skimmed that one and did not take it all in.
Splat
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/16 21:51:16 (permalink)
'I think you have a thin skin and are being over sensitive. And are skimming my posts without really reading them.'

'If you can tell me the type of information that would be helpful and how to access it I'll get it and post it. '

Well that explains it, a bit of an own goal.
For the record I and others it seems have had the courtesy to read every single one of your comments carefully and have asked for clarification and further info several times which you haven't even read by the look of your last comment. You also missed my comment on the windows event viewer for instance. 

There were also several polite comments expressing sympathy of your predicament that you might also have glossed over which may explain your misunderstandings in peoples motivations. For the record pretty much everyone has been trying to help and again I am hoping your issue will be resolved.

Over sensitivity no, I just want to help people get to the bottom of their technical issues without the drama (I don't have time for it sorry).

My advise is to read the thread from beginning to end again, avoid reading/interpretting/making negative comments and try and give people a direct answer (ask for further help if you are confused) and this may be your first step towards a solution which all of us are hopeful you will have.So let's start a clean sheet..
post edited by CakeAlexS - 2014/08/16 21:59:31

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
robert_e_bone
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/17 00:22:37 (permalink)
Uh, 

Bueller?  Bueller?

Bob Bone

robert_e_bone
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/18 10:55:46 (permalink)
I wish this thread title didn't represent the assertion, as fact, that X3 destroyed work. This has certainly not been determined to be the case, at this point.

I am hoping the OP re-engages in the thread at some point today, as well - and provides the requested information.

Bueller?

Bob Bone

Anderton
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/18 11:25:41 (permalink)
robert_e_bone
I wish this thread title didn't represent the assertion, as fact, that X3 destroyed work. This has certainly not been determined to be the case, at this point.

I changed it, but still don't have an answer to what happens when the 8.5 projects are opened in 8.5 so I may have to change it again...

robert_e_bone
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/18 12:12:54 (permalink)
Thanks - I am still hoping to hear from the OP - but it seems like it is fading - he had been on when at least one of my earlier posts yesterday was put out there, and had responded elsewhere in a different thread, but not to his thread.

That, combined with the fairly dismissive and non-responsive behavior is not too encouraging.

Time will tell, and it is, or was, his set of issues - so I am happy to help, or happy to wish him luck going it without my assistance.

Bob Bone

jonnewyork
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/18 18:28:58 (permalink)
bapu
Maybe he just skimmed that one and did not take it all in.

D'OH!

Here is the link for the driver/firmware updates page for you:

http://www.lynxstudio.com/support_downloads_results.asp?prod=1&type=0

Few questions for you:

1.  Do you have the latest X3 maintenance applied?  (X3e)
2.  You indicated some 8.5.3 projects open in X3, which is very helpful to know.  Can you try to detail differences between the ones that do open, and the ones that are now messed up?  That might also help narrow things down.
3.  Are you running with ASIO as your driver mode in X3?  (Lynx had prior issues when not running ASIO, if I recall correctly from some time ago).

Hang in there,

Bob Bone

I had some things to take care of. I did not give up. And it took me at least an hour to get into safe mode since I haven't had to do that before in Win7. After tapping the F8 key while booting up for a while I looked online and soneone advised "you have to hold down the F8 key" which didn't work either, then I found out you have to enter msconfig in the search engine to access it.

1) I think so but I'm not sure
2)There are differing degrees of "messed up".

I'd gotten error messages stating that some of the older plugs no longer worked or weren't "recognized" on other songs.

On a couple of 8.5.3 PE projects, X3 plugins don't work. I would put the blue tubes oil can delay, for example, into the fx window but it wouldn't "see" a signal. The icon showed up but it didn't do anything.

After copying and pasting an older version of the project and changing the title to use it as a "guinea pig" I went into safe mode and opened a couple of later versions that I'd already opened with X3. They were the same, stripped of automation, plugins, pan assignments, all the mute buttons unmuted.

I then opened up the older version that I hadn't opened with X3 in safe mode and it was intact (there wasn't any automation at that point) The plugins were all there. The projects all have X3 logos on them even if they hadn't been opened with X3.

Then after starting Win7 normally I opened the same older guinea pig project. All the waveforms in track view now showed up as thin "pencil lines". Maybe I should have checked to see if the plugins were missing but I was kind of taken aback.

3) Yes

I was going to contact Lynx today but I didn't get to it. Last time I contacted their tech he said I should call up when I have more time to update the firmware which makes it seem like it isn't something that's impossible to foul up, so I'll do that tomorrow.

Is any of this helpful? Are we getting closer?
post edited by jonnewyork - 2014/08/18 18:40:24

Cheers,
 Jon

Win 7 Pro
16 GB RAM
64 bit op sys

jonnewyork
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/18 19:20:39 (permalink)
Okay, I just reopened it (guinea pig project) in 8.5 and it isn't importing audio tracks.
A dialog box opens up and the missing track names show up one by one and if I try to open any it says "can't find item". After a couple of "skips" I hit "skip all" to finish opening the project and then when I looked in track view the waveforms were all missing. No audio.

When I cut and pasted the project to a folder on the desktop, opening the project caused it to create a separate folder so that when I went back to look at it later there were now 2 folders instead of one, one for the project and one for the audio tracks. It automatically segregated them.

Cheers,
 Jon

Win 7 Pro
16 GB RAM
64 bit op sys

robert_e_bone
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/18 19:33:20 (permalink)
@jonnewyork

YIKES - when they mentioned Safe mode, they meant to start SONAR in safe mode, and not Windows.

Windows in safe mode will not hurt anything, but is not what had been intended for you to do, so please feel free to restart your computer with a normal everyday start up.

Here is the Sonar documentation link for starting Sonar X3 in safe mode:

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR%20X3&language=3&help=Dialogs2.094.html

If you open your problem project in Sonar Safe Mode, it will give you the choice of loading or skipping the load for each plugin the project contains.  IF there are plugin problems, this gives you a way to debug them, by loading or skipping plugins to try to figure out if any are causing a problem.  I am not sure why they directed you to do this, and will go back through all of the posts in the thread to try to figure that out.

I read your post above in a hurry, as I started this post as soon as I got to the part about you starting Windows in safe mode, rather than Sonar.  Whoever had suggested that might have been a bit clearer on the difference between the 2.  They definitely meant to start Sonar in safe mode.

So, I will now go back through your most recent post, and try to make sense of it - and I will post again in a little bit.

By the way, I was hoping you were simply just attending other things, thanks for the post back today.

Bob Bone

jonnewyork
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/18 19:52:40 (permalink)
Thanks for the link, Bob. I'll check that out.

Cheers,
 Jon

Win 7 Pro
16 GB RAM
64 bit op sys

Anderton
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/18 20:08:56 (permalink)
jonnewyork

On a couple of 8.5.3 PE projects, X3 plugins don't work. I would put the blue tubes oil can delay, for example, into the fx window but it wouldn't "see" a signal. The icon showed up but it didn't do anything.

I don't know the specifics with Nomad Factory, but many times third-party agreements specify locking their products to specific companies or against backward compatibility. This is for two reasons. First, the price of bundled plug-ins is often much less than the cost of a "universal" version. Companies don't want you buying their plugs-in at a substantial discount yet be able to use them the same way people who pay full price with them. Second, there's a support issue. Plug-ins bundled with, for example, X3 are tested and QCed with X3. Companies don't want to have to deal with support for legacy software.

It works for now, but it's a sad story...Cakewalk would love to have a version updated for 64-bit operation, but the developer and owner of the IP has disappeared off the face of the earth. 

I then opened up the older version that I hadn't opened with X3 in safe mode and it was intact (there wasn't any automation at that point) The plugins were all there. The projects all have X3 logos on them even if they hadn't been opened with X3.

The logo doesn't mean anything, that's a Windows thing. It's like when Windows Media Player puts the same icons on all your MP3 files.

It sounds like you actually have multiple issues. I forgot to ask, or maybe you said this already, but was 8.5 32- or 64-bit? And are you running X3 as 32- or 64-bit? Also, in terms of not finding audio, did you save as per-project folders or dump everything into the common audio folder?

I was going to contact Lynx today but I didn't get to it. Last time I contacted their tech he said I should call up when I have more time to update the firmware which makes it seem like it isn't something that's impossible to foul up, so I'll do that tomorrow.

A failed firmware update can literally make a device in operable by putting it in a state where it can't boot. The only solution is to replace the chip containing the firmware, and if it's wave-soldered on a board, that's not easy. Follow any instructions Lynx gives you to the letter. Actually, to the pixel that makes up each letter. When I do a firmware update, the device being updated and the device doing the updating are ALWAYS connected to an uninterruptible power supply, and I test any cable that's going to be used in the process.

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/18 20:23:21 (permalink)
The logo does mean something. It means that that file will open with the associated program.  By double clicking on the file the default program will open it. In the case of Sonar we are offered the option to have the version we are installing open files types while installing Sonar. I like to have the latest version be the default. 

Best
John
robert_e_bone
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/18 20:55:02 (permalink)
I am hoping the firmware update helps you, and look forward to you posting your results.

Bob Bone

jonnewyork
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/18 20:56:16 (permalink)
Anderton
jonnewyork

I don't know the specifics with Nomad Factory, but many times third-party agreements specify locking their products to specific companies or against backward compatibility. This is for two reasons. First, the price of bundled plug-ins is often much less than the cost of a "universal" version. Companies don't want you buying their plugs-in at a substantial discount yet be able to use them the same way people who pay full price with them. Second, there's a support issue. Plug-ins bundled with, for example, X3 are tested and QCed with X3. Companies don't want to have to deal with support for legacy software.

It works for now, but it's a sad story...Cakewalk would love to have a version updated for 64-bit operation, but the developer and owner of the IP has disappeared off the face of the earth. 

The logo doesn't mean anything, that's a Windows thing. It's like when Windows Media Player puts the same icons on all your MP3 files.

It sounds like you actually have multiple issues. I forgot to ask, or maybe you said this already, but was 8.5 32- or 64-bit? And are you running X3 as 32- or 64-bit? Also, in terms of not finding audio, did you save as per-project folders or dump everything into the common audio folder?

A failed firmware update can literally make a device in operable by putting it in a state where it can't boot. The only solution is to replace the chip containing the firmware, and if it's wave-soldered on a board, that's not easy. Follow any instructions Lynx gives you to the letter. Actually, to the pixel that makes up each letter. When I do a firmware update, the device being updated and the device doing the updating are ALWAYS connected to an uninterruptible power supply, and I test any cable that's going to be used in the process.

I run both 8.5 and X3 64 bit. Thanks for the explanation for the software but I'm puzzled as to why it is backwards compatible (blue tubes) on some 8.5 projects but not others. That seems rather inconsistant.

I save in per-project folder. But I just save projects the normal way and they usually open up with the audio.

I opened it (the pre automation guinea pig version) in X3 safe mode and diallowed all the plugins b/c I didn't know which might prove problematic.

Then I got the audio back -- after getting the "find missing audio" dialog box and getting the 'file not found, check file name and try again" I hit the search button and after a while it found one file, then one more, then it opened with the audio.

Then I saved that as a "[version] no-fx"

Cheers,
 Jon

Win 7 Pro
16 GB RAM
64 bit op sys

robert_e_bone
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/18 21:25:38 (permalink)
That seems like a good methodical approach.  Glad it found all the audio.

So, maybe one or more plugins is/are goofing things up?

You could try loading the first plug only, then load the 1st and 2nd plugs only, then the 1st 3 plugs only, etc., to see if that uncovers the culprit(s).  All of this would be in safe mode.  Pain in the rear, but it is helpful - IF it might be from plugins.

Bob Bone

jonnewyork
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/18 23:18:49 (permalink)
I opened the newest version of the project in safe mode. It asked if I should open one plugin, I clicked no, and it opened without plugins. But the mute and pan assignments are back.

I generally save [project-date-version] so with this song, appropriately titled "Trouble"  I'd save it Tro_08-18-14 to two separate external hard drives, make changes, save it as Tro_08-18-14a, Tro_08-18-14b, etc.

I generally don't use a lot of plugins unless the individual tracks need EQ -- these were mostly EQ. I might have one or two delays and maybe a reverb on separate stereo buses and use the channel fx sends.

I strapped a PEQ5B across the drums bus and it's working. I have a feeling X3 doesn't want to work with mixed and matched batches of plugins. I have to stop working now but so far I like the Nomad EQs and delay better than the Cakewalk or sonitus ones for this project so if they work I'll ditch the old plugs and move on.

Which brings us to automation. I don't think that's going to be a big deal -- I've mixed this track a couple of times before. The biggest automation problem I've had is while comping takes when I can't do crossfades; one track has to be muted as another is unmuted. It was tricky, and hard not to wind up with an audible click or two. I'm keen to try out the new comping tool. It looks like it will save a lot of time and... trouble.

Cheers,
 Jon

Win 7 Pro
16 GB RAM
64 bit op sys

robert_e_bone
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/19 00:39:59 (permalink)
It sounds like you are making progress.  There have definitely been issues having some, but not all, 32-bit plugins in a 64-bit Sonar.

Even if certain 32-bit plugins worked before in 8.5.3, they might not currently work in 8.5.3, depending on Windows maintenance.  In addition, some of those may currently work in 8.5.3 and not in X3, due to either differences in the C++ run-time executables, or with internal changes to Windows, or to Sonar.  The use of any bridging software, whether it is BitBridge or JBridge, which is what allows those 32-bit plugins to run in 64-bit Sonar, is potentially problematic, and that's just the realities of the change in technology over time.

Since moving to an all 64-bit plugin environment, except for any remaining 32-bit Cakewalk-supplied plugins, Sonar X3e has never been more stable for me.  A lot of others have also found this to be true for them.

My brain is flat-lining, so it is off to nap land for me.  I will pick things up tomorrow with you, as I should be around for a good chunk of the day.

Are you running X3e?  That is the latest and greatest X3 maintenance version.  If you are on X3 but not the 'e' version, you can simply download and apply the X3e version, skipping the ones in between.  X3e is a cumulative patch, so it has all the stuff from a,b, c, and d all rolled up in it.

Bob Bone

jonnewyork
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/19 16:58:42 (permalink)
robert_e_bone
Since moving to an all 64-bit plugin environment, except for any remaining 32-bit Cakewalk-supplied plugins, Sonar X3e has never been more stable for me.  A lot of others have also found this to be true for them.

Sounds like good advice. I'd want to use only 64 bit for the increased resolution alone.

My brain is flat-lining

That's normal for me

Are you running X3e?  That is the latest and greatest X3 maintenance version.  If you are on X3 but not the 'e' version, you can simply download and apply the X3e version, skipping the ones in between.  X3e is a cumulative patch, so it has all the stuff from a,b, c, and d all rolled up in it.

Is there an easy way to check for that? I think that's what I'm running.

Cheers,
 Jon

Win 7 Pro
16 GB RAM
64 bit op sys

robert_e_bone
Re: X3 Destroying work 2014/08/19 18:02:04 (permalink)
If you launch with Run As Admin, you will see the version in the UAC message asking you to confirm allowing the program to run.

And, once in Sonar, you could click on Help, then on About Sonar, and a splash screen will show with the version and build.

Bob Bone

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1