Helpful ReplyInstruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware.

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/16 20:15:39 (permalink)
Sure, the situation could change but it would appear there are no plans to charge for the program ever. See http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3745236

CTStump
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 409
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/16 20:27:46 (permalink)
scook
Sure, the situation could change but it would appear there are no plans to charge for the program ever. See http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3745236

Thanks for the link, a post is a post ofcourse if things do change I suppose there will be some who use that post to beat Meng over the head with but that is in no way a legal obligation so in hope that is and will be what is.

For the umpteenth time that is a great value on offer professional or "not".

Sonar 8.5PE
Project 5.2
Self Built 2.6Ghz dual core AMD 5200+
8 Gb DDR Ram
Windows Vista 64
Emu 1616 pci
Various collection of old musical toys

sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/16 21:35:19 (permalink)
Brian Walton
vladasyn
Euthymia
vladasyn
I cant take freeware seriously. Can you?  

Absolutely.

Without Linux and Apache running most of the sites on the www, and LibreOffice, Audacity, MusicBee, Voxengo SPAN, Meldaproduction Free Bundle, ffmpeg, libflac, Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, iZotope Imager, iZotope Vinyl, Sonalksis FreeG, VLC, MediaHuman Audio Converter, MP3Tag, and now Cakewalk (among many, many others) on my desktop computer, I could not do what I do without the existence of and my personal use of freeware. It's in my critical path daily.

What I can't take seriously is the inability take freeware seriously. You can't be serious.

Except Melda Production and IE, I never heard of any of the software you listed. I do not install any free software, never install any trials. I have Melda Creative bundle, I would not install Free bundle. 

Why do you use "wix" for your web site?  Is it not free and completely unprofessional?  And this is something your client actually sees, not some random software you use on your computer.  

Ha good point, and hard to argue with. Having a free website with the host's name in the URL isn't exactly professional - a bit like using an AOL email account to communicate with your customers. That's one situation where free most certainly DOES give your customers a negative impression. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/16 23:23:06 (permalink)
Brian Walton
vladasyn
Euthymia
vladasyn

Absolutely.

Without Linux and Apache running most of the sites on the www, and LibreOffice, Audacity, MusicBee, Voxengo SPAN, Meldaproduction Free Bundle, ffmpeg, libflac, Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, iZotope Imager, iZotope Vinyl, Sonalksis FreeG, VLC, MediaHuman Audio Converter, MP3Tag, and now Cakewalk (among many, many others) on my desktop computer, I could not do what I do without the existence of and my personal use of freeware. It's in my critical path daily.

What I can't take seriously is the inability take freeware seriously. You can't be serious.

Except Melda Production and IE, I never heard of any of the software you listed. I do not install any free software, never install any trials. I have Melda Creative bundle, I would not install Free bundle. 

Why do you use "wix" for your web site?  Is it not free and completely unprofessional?  And this is something your client actually sees, not some random software you use on your computer.  

Exactly. Well super sloothed! Maybe we should stop beating up this poor forum member now though. They made their point, we dissed it, they realised they didn't actually have a point but went on to defend it anyway. We should let this thread die so that Vlada can go on and do what she wants to do which is... well she can't have her Cake and eat it!

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
mkerl
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 190
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/17 00:10:25 (permalink)
vladasyn
 Having basic software for free and then offer paid features is different from having everything for free. I do not expect serious growth and development of the free software. The fact that thousands of immature will use this software will change the focus of development and make it surface deep. Why would they create professional features if immature will never use it AND they will not make any money selling it. Social networking platform hardly requires pro level features such as comping and MIDI automatization.   

Meng wrote, that the core software will be free, the next rapture pro will not. Bandlab has simple software already, but when I discovered Bandlab, I realized, there are really good musicians out there. Why not give them a professional tool to collaborate.? Why do you think, they will not use professional features? Do you think, all users of a paid version are professionals? I don't think so. The intention of Mr.Meng makes sense IMHO. 

Cheers 

Nothing to do but playing (Ch. Parker)
mkerl
  • Total Posts : 190
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/17 00:25:17 (permalink)
vladasyn
 When it comes to future development of software and when you have to pay team of developers to move product forward, this is where it starts getting expansive. When you have millions of free users, how can you provide tech support and assure high level of customer experience if nobody pays for anything but everybody wants to be able to get support? The more users, the more issues, the more time it needs to support everybody- without paid manpower, the issues will not get resolved.  

There has been a thread about the unsual business model. Mr.Meng explained, that his business is broadly based with different revenues. He assured to plan for the long term. I don't know, maybe it's courageous, but it seems he is going for the big picture. His explanations are consistent.

Cheers 

Nothing to do but playing (Ch. Parker)
GjB
  • Total Posts : 197
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/17 00:42:22 (permalink)
Let's delete this thread already and move on.. Talk about counter productive to the cause.
Plus, it's probably time to have a new forum for Cakewalk by BandLab anyway..
Then this original forum can be heavily tidied up, loved and locked down for reference.

The Computer Mouse (web)
Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), Focusrite 2i4 (Gen 1), i7-3770K, NH-D14, 32 Gigs, GTX 970, SSDs and HD, Sony MDR-7506, M-Audio Code 61. Easy-install guide
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/17 00:48:12 (permalink)
Songroom
The fact is that BandLab are not giving away the full product, new users get the core program which is akin to the original 'Artist' version. When I opted for the former flagship release my decision was based on the wealth of additional extras it included and I can still use the majority of these with CbB. I have pretty much what I paid for with the added bonus of continued development.  

Base versions of other software titles (including MS Visual Studio and Unity) are also available for free. This doesn't seem to have a detrimental affect on their popularity.

This is incorrect information that you are spreading.

The core program is what was previously called Sonar Platinum. The additional content is what was included with the Artist version.
The plugins and instruments will be made available and further developed for sale at some point in the future. For those people that already had Platinum their plugins will just be picked up by Cakewalk by BandLab. For those folks who have never owned Platinum before or Sonar in general they will get an opportunity to purchase whichever plugins and content will be put in the online store once it gets back online.

Seeing as this has happened in period of little more than a month ie from purchase of the Intellectual Property and assets to release of the first version it seems unreasonable to expect that could have done more. As it is CbB includes a few features that were to be included in the November release last year when development ceased.

The principle is that Cakewalk will remain free and additional content will be sold. This is the same idea that didn’t quite get time to flourish under Cakewalk by Gibson because Gibson didn’t have the vision let alone the funds to back it up. BandLab does.
post edited by mudgel - 2018/04/18 00:46:45

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Studioguy1
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 244
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/17 02:47:40 (permalink)
I just hope they are big enough to solve my password problem.  The 2nd time I try to log on it forgets who I am.  I still have not downloaded the BandLab version.  Could anyone give me some advice here.  I am getting frustrated with this.  At the onset it looks to be a simple thing, but alas it is not happening.  I now have BandLab App on my desktop but it won't let me in either.  Damn.

Current happy user of Cakewalk by BandLab;
Former Sonar Platinum lifetime plan;
Okie Duke, The Duke Of The Lehigh Valley
Sound Syndicate Studios-Recording and Production
HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC 8 Gb ram
Windows 7 Premium (x64) Service Pack 1
 2.20 gigahertz Intel Core i7-2670QM
Hitachi [Hard drive] (750.16 GB)
- 2 Tb external Drive - U-Phoria UMC204HD usb - Triton Keyboard - and much more.
Blue Clown Records Ltd
Blue Clown Publishing BMI
Okie Duke Promotions Ltd
Frank Harvey
  • Total Posts : 214
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/17 07:35:33 (permalink)
mudgel
Songroom
The fact is that BandLab are not giving away the full product, new users get the core program which is akin to the original 'Artist' version. When I opted for the former flagship release my decision was based on the wealth of additional extras it included and I can still use the majority of these with CbB. I have pretty much what I paid for with the added bonus of continued development.  

Base versions of other software titles (including MS Visual Studio and Unity) are also available for free. This doesn't seem to have a detrimental affect on their popularity.

This is incorrect information that you are spreading.........................................
Seeing as this has happened in period of little more than a month ie from purchase of the Intellectual Property and assets to release of the first version it seems unreasonable to expect that could have done more. .....................................................................
The principle is that Cakewalk will remain free and additional cost tent will be sold. This is the same idea that didn’t quite get time to flourish under Cakewalk by Gibson because Gibson didn’t have the vision let alone the funds to back it up. BandLab does.

Nice, succinct summary Mudgel !!!

Hey Yall !!!! (is that how to spell YALL?)
Meng and the guys who are trying to save our Cakewalk Bacon are no doubt 'under the gun' !
As Mudgel pointed out.........We are talking about an extremely SHORT TIME FRAME here.............
...........give 'em space guys :) ........at least afford a bit of breathing room.
:).............Yeah a smile can work wonders.

Sonar Platinum Lifer
Audio Interface: Focusrite 6i6 Gen 2
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm)II X4 630 2.80 GHz
Installed RAM :16.0 GB
System Type:64-bit Operating System , x64-based processor
Windows Edition: 10 Home
Windows Version:1709
OS Build :16299.125
Video:GEForce GTX 650
Songroom
  • Total Posts : 174
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/17 08:49:20 (permalink)
mudgel
Songroom

This is incorrect information that you are spreading.

The core program is what was previously called Sonar Platinum. The additional content is what was included with the Artist version.
The plugins and instruments will be made available and further developed for sale at some point in the future. For those people that already had Platinum their plugins will just be picked up by Cakewalk by BandLab. For those folks who have never owned Platinum before or Sonar in general they will get an opportunity to purchase whichever plugins and content will be put in the online store once it gets back online.

Seeing as this has happened in period of little more than a month ie from purchase of the Intellectual Property and assets to release of the first version it seems unreasonable to expect that could have done more. As it is CbB includes a few features that were to be included in the November release last year when development ceased.

The principle is that Cakewalk will remain free and additional cost tent will be sold. This is the same idea that didn’t quite get time to flourish under Cakewalk by Gibson because Gibson didn’t have the vision let alone the funds to back it up. BandLab does.

I think you may have misunderstood my use of the word 'akin' (of similar or comparable character) which was intended to refer to the availability of additional content. I fully appreciate that there is now a single core version, I was simply addressing the misconception that new users were able to obtain the full Platinum package for free.

Sonar Platinum - BandLab Cakewalk - Presonus 16.0.2 - Tannoys - Lava BandLamp ?

Frank Harvey
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/17 09:19:40 (permalink)
GjB
Let's delete this thread already and move on.. Talk about counter productive to the cause.
Plus, it's probably time to have a new forum for Cakewalk by BandLab anyway..
Then this original forum can be heavily tidied up, loved and locked down for reference.

Would Be Nice :)

Sonar Platinum Lifer
Frank Harvey
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/17 09:37:37 (permalink)
Brian Walton
vladasyn
Euthymia
vladasyn

Absolutely.

WIX is Unprofessional ????................. NNNNOOOOOoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!
HECK.............................I was just about to sign up!!!
After months of blinken comparability Research too.
Never Mind......OK.........I  can take it............Don't hold back........I'm Just Stupid I Guess :(
"Hey Google !......
Google: "YES".....
"Find another economical website Host........not starting with 'W'."

Sonar Platinum Lifer
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/17 09:59:44 (permalink)
Frank Harvey
Hey Yall !!!! (is that how to spell YALL?)

nope, you spell it "y'all" as it's short for "you all"

just a sec

vladasyn
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1092
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/17 11:46:56 (permalink)
MandolinPicker
How about Android - ever heard of it? Unless you have an iPhone, the phone you are using is based on the free Android operating system, which is based on Linux. Linux which is also free and operates the majority of the web servers. Oh, by the way the MacOS - based on FreeBSD. 

That explains why it suck. 

https://soundcloud.com/vlada-astral 
http://vladasyn.wix.com/astral#
I am a female. Windows 8.1
Custom DAW Intel Core I7 3770K, 16 Gb memory, SSD+ 2 x 2 Gb storage. Presonus StudioLive 24.
  Multiple keyboards and modules, software synths.  
coltpeacemaker
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/17 12:34:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby pwalpwal 2018/04/17 14:24:24
And everybody live happily ever after! THE END.....
Tony Shaffer
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/17 13:41:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Anderton 2018/04/18 06:32:34
Seems to me the "profit" model of doing business didn't work well with Cakewalk. Even with all their resources, both Roland and Gibson could not make it turn a profit. Maybe with all of the incredible features, it should have cost more in the first place. But what would be the choices of a new owner who wanted to turn a profit with it? Increase the price (to continue support/development)? Reduce the quality (ditch all the extras and reduce development)? Either path seems as likely to decrease the user base as increase it. Instead, what we're witnessing is the vision of going with a completely different business model that doesn't depend on direct profit, but ensures the continuity of the software with further development and support, and with a good likelihood of increasing the user base. Seems solid to me.

As for the "worth" of the software, since it's the same program (minus third-party stuff), it is worth precisely what it was worth when it did cost a good chunk of change. The "professionalism" of the software is unaltered. What has changed is not the "worth," it's the "price."

I paid for "something of value." Now I get "something of value" free. It's still "something of value." And I threw a little something in the tip jar, not to pay for something I'd already paid for, or for something that's free, or because this is some kind of "freeware" that needs donations for development; I did it to show my appreciation for the kind of vision and thinking that is making this happen.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/17 16:00:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby davehorch 2018/04/18 19:25:40
michaelhanson
Honestly, if I have learned anything over the last several months and the unexpected events of Sonar; I would rather put my money into plug ins that I can use in any DAW, than to pay for add-on's that are limited to one DAW.

Historically, Cakewalk has been very good about creating plug-ins that work in other programs. The ones that were locked were usually from third-party companies (e.g., Blue Tubes, AAS, Overloud, etc.). Open up any program other than Sonar, make sure you're pointing at the right directory, and you'll find pretty much all the Cakewalk plug-ins. Even the DX and DXi ones can work in other programs that don't support DX.

As someone who uses multiple programs, this is something I've always appreciated about Sonar. It would seem silly not to continue in this vein. That way BandLab could pick up additional sales by selling these plug-ins to users of other DAWs.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/17 18:08:29 (permalink)
Anderton
michaelhanson
Honestly, if I have learned anything over the last several months and the unexpected events of Sonar; I would rather put my money into plug ins that I can use in any DAW, than to pay for add-on's that are limited to one DAW.

Historically, Cakewalk has been very good about creating plug-ins that work in other programs. The ones that were locked were usually from third-party companies (e.g., Blue Tubes, AAS, Overloud, etc.). Open up any program other than Sonar, make sure you're pointing at the right directory, and you'll find pretty much all the Cakewalk plug-ins. Even the DX and DXi ones can work in other programs that don't support DX.

As someone who uses multiple programs, this is something I've always appreciated about Sonar. It would seem silly not to continue in this vein. That way BandLab could pick up additional sales by selling these plug-ins to users of other DAWs.

Hey Craig,
Yes, having been around since the early days, I get what you are saying.  I pretty much stopped using the DX and DXi plugs years ago when I went to only 64bit.  I jumped on the license offers by Overloud, mostly for TH3, but also got one for Breverb.

Mainly, what I was referencing was all of the ProChannel FX’s that I had grown to love.  I am a huge Prochannel fan. The ProChannel compressors, the EQ, Concrete Limiter, and Console Emulator had all become my favorite work horses and I had gotten to know them real well.  Adaptive Limiter was becoming a go to as well.  So when the rug got pulled out from underneath my beloved Sonar and I was forced to start looking at other options, such as Studio One, I was disappointed that I couldn’t use my favorite tools that had become second nature.  I am not a fan of the Console Emulator in Studio One, the EQ is OK, but not much of a fan of the compressors that come with S1 either.  Maybe its just that I loved my ProChannel FX.

Luckily, 3-4 years ago, I started buying 3rd party FX, such as PSP Xenon, Valhalla reverbs, some of the Waves plugs…so I wasn’t completely without familiar tools.  The biggest hole was left by the Console Emulation, for me.  I remember all of the threads for years on the Yay’s and Nay’s on console emulation.  Well for me, I could always hear the CE working and loved what it did for my mixes.  So without one of my favorite tools, it sent me on the search for a replacement.  The Wave Redd, their new Omni, etc.  Anyway, it made me realize that the plugs I really use a lot of and are my go too’s, it may not be such a bad thing if they are not tied to a particular DAW.   

So now CbB is alive again.  I have my ProChannel back.  However, there was a bit of a lesson learned.  Now if I had the tool box of Bapu, this would all be a mute point. 

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/17 18:15:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tenfoot 2018/04/18 11:59:47

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/17 18:47:47 (permalink)
If you are referencing me, brundlefly, that’s just a mear sandbox that my Jeep plays in on most weekends.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
davehorch
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 75
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/17 19:08:01 (permalink)

I never heard of any of the software you listed

Vlad, I hope you stick around, you're slaying me!!  Endless entertainment for the rest of us donkeys.  Run your Cubase, but stick around.  Pluhleeeze!
post edited by davehorch - 2018/04/18 19:28:29

Win-7 Professionalx64.  CWBL, SONAR X3e, & most other previous versions.  TASCAM US-1800 audio interface.  A bunch of outboard stuff that never gets used anymore (ADAT boat anchors, smoooth LA4 comps (miss them!), etc.)  Way too many instruments.
Zargg
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/17 19:22:46 (permalink)
michaelhanson
Now if I had the tool box of Bapu, this would all be a mute point. 

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/17 20:52:35 (permalink)
michaelhanson
If you are referencing me, brundlefly, that’s just a mear sandbox that my Jeep plays in on most weekends.

No, not aimed at you - just coincidentally posted right after you. I was referring to the OP's ongoing and increasingly preposterous attempts to justify a position that seems to come largely from an emotional place, and is not logically defensible.

I had the same 'gut' response when I first saw that the DAW software in which I've invested 30 years and thousands of dollars had become freeware. But after thinking about it, I was able to let go of that emotion, and see that it in no way affects the value of my investment or the ongoing value of the tool to me.

I use the software because of what it helps me do, musically, and that is in no way dimished by it being free or by it potentially becoming the composition/recording/producing tool of preference for the great, unwashed masses of non-professional musicians.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
CTStump
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 409
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/18 00:20:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby davehorch 2018/04/18 19:29:40
Carry on....
post edited by CTStump - 2018/04/18 22:50:38

Sonar 8.5PE
Project 5.2
Self Built 2.6Ghz dual core AMD 5200+
8 Gb DDR Ram
Windows Vista 64
Emu 1616 pci
Various collection of old musical toys

sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/18 05:52:15 (permalink)
CTStump
davehorch
CTStump
I never heard of any of the software you listed

Vlad, I hope you stick around, you're slaying me!!  Endless entertainment for the rest of us donkeys.  Run your Cubase, but stick around.  Pluhleeeze!

That quote is not mine... please fix it or it will be reported. Are you some kinda mind reader or, is it a typo?

Is the forum software playing up re: quote attribution? This isn't the first time someone complain about being misquoted, and I think I've noticed another example of it myself the other day (although didn't dwell on it). 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/18 06:59:14 (permalink)
michaelhanson
Yes, having been around since the early days, I get what you are saying.  I pretty much stopped using the DX and DXi plugs years ago when I went to only 64bit.

FWIW the Sonitus plug-ins work in 64-bit systems, I believe without bridging. They weren't recoded for VST, but I do believe they were transformed into true 64-bit plug-ins.

Mainly, what I was referencing was all of the ProChannel FX’s that I had grown to love.  I am a huge Prochannel fan. The ProChannel compressors, the EQ, Concrete Limiter, and Console Emulator had all become my favorite work horses and I had gotten to know them real well.  Adaptive Limiter was becoming a go to as well.  So when the rug got pulled out from underneath my beloved Sonar and I was forced to start looking at other options, such as Studio One, I was disappointed that I couldn’t use my favorite tools that had become second nature.

Ah yes, I see exactly what you're saying. I also think the ProChannel plug-ins are great. IMHO the QuadCurve EQ is incredibly underrated because it comes "free" with the program. The CA-2A is fabulous but luckily that was ported to VST so we can still use it. I haven't found anything quite like the Concrete Limiter, and I agree there's something special about the Cakewalk Console Emulators. "Losing them" is not an issue with ReWire clients, but the only programs that appeal to me as ReWire clients are Live and Reason. 

Opinion time...I don't think it would be hard to turn the ProChannel modules into VSTs. I'm one of those people who likes the ProChannel format, so if they were available in both formats, I'd use them in Sonar with the ProChannel. Softube offered some plug-ins in ProChannel and standard VST format, not just Cakewalk, so it's possible. 

Cakewalk didn't really know how to market plug-ins so in the company's previous incarnation, it was decided not to bother trying to sell to users of other DAWs. There were also concerns about support because not all programs follow the VST spec rigorously. Finally, management believed that if the plug-ins were proprietary to Sonar and given away with the program, then more people would buy Sonar. It didn't turn out that way for the reason you stated - people could buy similar plugs for their own DAWs, so they didn't have to buy Sonar. 

Maybe with new ownership, the subject of making plug-ins available beyond Sonar will be re-visited at some point. If Cakewalk got a reputation for making great plug-ins, maybe that would pique peoples' interest in Sonar more than making the plug-ins proprietary.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/18 07:43:32 (permalink)
I have VKFX Pro Channel plugs and they work in my other systems. The interface is the same size as when in the PC, but they seem content to float in their tiny windows. So yes, PC plugins can be made to run outside the PC, or Sonar/Cakewalk.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Frank Harvey
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/18 09:21:12 (permalink)
Hey Vlada,
I'll Give You This.
3.5 K Views ...............HECK....
You certainly fired up the Ole Gang.
10 Marks for stirring up the team.
Healthy , Robust discussion is always healthy.
I reckon we ( Sonarians) are going through the same level of  concerns those who suddenly faced the 'Horseless Carriage' went through all those years ago.
So Much Uncertainty.

PS: How the heck did our Cakewalk colleagues determine you had a WIX web site ?........( not that I have looked for it OR found it). :)
Cheers .....Frank H

Sonar Platinum Lifer
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Instruction on install of CbB? As suspected- they turned it in to Freeware. 2018/04/18 11:48:20 (permalink)
Frank Harvey
PS: How the heck did our Cakewalk colleagues determine you had a WIX web site ?........( not that I have looked for it OR found it). :)

it's in her sig

just a sec

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1