Introducing Studio Instruments!

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Voxas
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Introducing Studio Instruments! 2007/10/21 07:56:33 (permalink)
I know that Scarbee is very good , but not the best . Because this is sample based el.piano , and sound samples are static , they not react each other and don't make any sound relations to piano body , (good programmers can do this piano same but synthesither like , wish them the best) , when U play . But I'm not talking about quality , I'm talking about programming mistakes , I know that this **** cost , like pack of coffe 3 in 1, but if I will buy very very cheap new car , it will be with weels . O.K. next time we will wait keyboards from Cakewalk without keys ..... maybe it will cost about $5 ....
Nick P
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3112
RE: Introducing Studio Instruments! 2007/10/21 18:18:59 (permalink)
Maybe it's the language barrier, but I don't understand what you're saying. How can a realistic electric piano be anything but sample based? Sure, a good deal of programming needs to go into it to introduce all of the nuances, but I can't see how a digital synthesized electric piano could ever come near to the realism of samples.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
techead
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4353
RE: Introducing Studio Instruments! 2007/10/21 18:36:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Nick P

Maybe it's the language barrier, but I don't understand what you're saying. How can a realistic electric piano be anything but sample based? Sure, a good deal of programming needs to go into it to introduce all of the nuances, but I can't see how a digital synthesized electric piano could ever come near to the realism of samples.

Physical modeling is the alternative to sample-based electric pianos. It uses mathematics and algorithmns to compute a simulation of the real thing. Physical modeling has been around a while and produces very cool sounds with the right hardware--it wasn't possible in the 'early years' of synthesis to do it in real-time because the computing machinery just did not exist at the necessary speeds. With a carefully built physical model in software one could theoretically come very near the real instrument sound--much more so than simple recorded playback (which is what sampling basically provides).
Nick P
RE: Introducing Studio Instruments! 2007/10/21 21:10:12 (permalink)
Okay, that sounds good. But does one yet exist - a physically modeled Fender Rhodes which surpasses the best sample-based Rhodes'? If not, then I go back to the Scarbee, which, to my ears, is the best sounding of them all. I've checked out Lounge Lizart and NI Elektrik Pianos and their Rhodes don't really do it for me.

Voxas
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Introducing Studio Instruments! 2007/10/22 05:11:25 (permalink)
First Scarbee is not digital synthesized electric piano , this is sample based , it means all voices in different dynamics are recorded . Digital syntesized , it means , that sond source is not sample , but tone generator ( oscilator ) . Samples are static , like recorded on any recorder and played back . U hit the key , sample is playing back . These sounds between each other not react , it means there is not sympathetic relations , U can hear this when hit one string of guitar ... othe strings of guitar rezonate too if U will not mute them . In Rhodes El.piano there is camertones , they are on same deck , adn they have relations between each other . In real rhodes there is no layers , and no velocity steps . I'm not talking about how nice and good is recorded Scarbee - Rhodes piano , I'm talking about , that there is layers steps in timbre , and velocity steps in dynamics in this (Scarbee) sampled piano . I open all these Scarbee Samples (Wav's) and now very well how the make . Wav;s are very good , with release noises and etc. but this is only play back piano , if U understand ... In physicaly modelled pianos there is not layers steps , and timbre maybe is not so much nice , but they are Alive , there is no steps when U playing PPP or FFF . This is same happend when U playing with sampled acoutic pianos , - try to play Ivory Boesendorfer the grand , loudly , and PPP but with precisious technic , and try to play with Pianoteq ( Modart company ) , - there is big different ... With sample based pianos is good to play Rock And Boogie Woogie , not more they are not alive . With physical modelling piano U can play many niuances . I'm talkin about Acoustic piano ., because maybe more uderstandable examples are ... Look here maybe U will see difference http://www.pianoteq.com/pianoteq_details#video_part_1 . http://www.pianoteq.com/videos This pianist will explain more properly , about sample based pianos and physical modelled pianos . Same things happends with "Rhodes" sampled pianos , - when U play few chords and arrpegios it's very good , but when U will try to play more niuances , U will see there is only very good playback mashine ... If U not hear differences it's O.K. , but U maybe are good musician , but not pianist . Not forget that sampler instruments not generate itself sound like synthesizers ( most analog ) , samlers only playback recorded voice . And at all I'm not talkin' about sound degradation when digitally recorded and playingback thru converters and many other things ... Just check " wich instruments sound more quickly degradate ( analog or sampled ) , when U will make for egz. copy to copy music records . How old are old analog records , and how many copies are made and musically they sonds O.K. If U will make copy from digital to digital , about 12 copies U will see that sound become sharp , it lost dogotal rezolution . O.K. U will say this only very small niuances , yes I agree ,but we talk about which way is better, to understand , and not to be fool , when U will buy 300 GB Sampled Piano , and thing that this is top piano , maybe it is top recorded voice but not top piano ... to play . Amen.
Nick P
RE: Introducing Studio Instruments! 2007/10/22 06:45:50 (permalink)
Um....yeah, that's what I'm saying. The Scarbee is sample-based. Certainly a sample-based instrument like a Rhodes or acoustic piano must have a number of velocity layers in order to make it realistic.

I'm not disputing what you're saying. Personally, if the thing sounds great, I don't care how it makes its sound. I just don't think there exists a physical modeling Rhodes (or pretty much any other traditional instrument model) which beats a really good velocity-layered sampled instrument. But please correct me if I'm wrong. I would love to hear it.

ahawk9
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Introducing Studio Instruments! 2007/10/31 13:12:00 (permalink)
I have a naive question, but I'm pretty new to the recording end. I just loaded the studio instruments onto my computer where I have sonar producer 7. How do you create say a drum program and load it onto a track in sonar? Do you come up with a program first, then import it onto a track, or can you create a map (if you're changing chords with the keyboard sound) as you go along with the song on the sonar file? It was pretty easy doing that with the bank of sounds already on sonar, but I'm not sure how to import something from a separate entity. Even if it's a "duh" answer, which it probably will be, I'd love to have some help on it because for some reason, when I click on the help file of the studio instruments and on sonar, the files won't open. Not sure about that either. Is that because my computer isn't connected to the internet? HELP! Thanks
quanah
  • Total Posts : 49
Studio Instruments..cant get it to record 2007/11/30 13:56:52 (permalink)
I must not be doing something right. I make a audio channel and try to record a drum track, but it will NOT record. Can someone help, please!!

Stacy M Doty
Dell XPS 400
3.00 GhZ
2 G Ram
800FSB
Presonus Firepod
Sonar 7
quanah
HELP! I cant get SI to work 2007/12/01 14:51:06 (permalink)
Im trying to use it as a plugin on sonar 7 and used the instructions..but i cannot get it to record.

Stacy M Doty
Dell XPS 400
3.00 GhZ
2 G Ram
800FSB
Presonus Firepod
Sonar 7
kevinworley
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Introducing Studio Instruments! 2007/12/02 16:03:16 (permalink)
I'm sorry, but even though I'm a long time Sonar user, which I love, Studio Instruments is garbage! It's a waste of the 50 bucks. I'm going to ask for my money back (though it's doubtful that'll happen) and uninstall the program.

When it even works - which is about 50% of the time - the patterns and sounds available are a joke. So limited as to be embarrassing. Why would Cakewalk release this - at any price? It might be ok as a free download to maybe show as an example of a much more robust program, but I'm not sure sure I'd even keep it if it was free.

So, my two sense would be for everyone to pass on this software.

Kevin
srm5436
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Introducing Studio Instruments! 2007/12/05 01:52:20 (permalink)
Hello! I am sort of interested in this product, mainly because Cakewalk is apparently having a special this month to get Music Creator 4 with Studio INstruments and Audio Creator for $80. I have used previous versions of MC so I'm fairly familiar with that, but I have a few Q's about SI. I'm basically just a hobbyist musician (primarily guitarist and drummer) interested in making some 'fuller' music projects with the help of software like this. I know I can record guitar (mostly acoustic) with MC, but I don't really have the equipment to make a good recording of myself playing 'actual' drums... So I need a way to get decent quality drum sounds that aren't just MIDI or 'digital' sounding... I haven't used a lot of loop or drum machine software, so I also need something fairly simple... I guess my main questions are:

1. Can I make my own drum beats/fills specific for my songs (i.e. not just preset loops, although those would be useful too)?

2. Do the drums sound decent?

3. Would this product be ideal for someone like myself (a hobbyist looking to make decent projects)?

and

4. Do you think this package is a good deal for $79.99?
kevinworley
RE: Introducing Studio Instruments! 2007/12/05 03:07:31 (permalink)
Please read my previous post, but in my opinion, it's not worth using even if it were free.

Kevin
Mikcara
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: Introducing Studio Instruments! 2007/12/08 14:27:55 (permalink)
Just purchased SI's today but I had some trouble downloading (my fault for not reading the instructions) and I have now exceeded my downloads is it possible to be sent a new link?
whitefalcon
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1161
RE: Introducing Studio Instruments! 2007/12/17 13:41:32 (permalink)
I have this now, purchased on the 5 day deal.
Now what I would like is the ability to copy in patterns from P5 into the patterns Studio Instruments uses. I think this is a cool fun utility.
I am not hearing much about it of late.
Does anyone else out there that has this use it?

There are two versions 64 bit and 32. What does 64 bit give me over 32?
findo
RE: Introducing Studio Instruments! 2007/12/29 20:27:45 (permalink)
I'm thinking about getting this as I no longer have access to a bass for recording...
1) Can you sequence the part yourself, or do you have to rely on pre-sequenced loops?
2) I notice in the video that you can import the parts to Sonar, is this easy to do?

Thanks
Twitch
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 372
RE: Introducing Studio Instruments! 2007/12/29 21:59:59 (permalink)
I have used this for about 6 months now... I find it okay in some aspects, but useless in others...

1) Can you sequence the part yourself, or do you have to rely on pre-sequenced loops?

Yes, you can sequence a part yourself.. in another application like P5, Sonar, any DAW midi software

2) I notice in the video that you can import the parts to Sonar, is this easy to do?

Yes.. it's a drag an drop type of thing.. the hard thing is taking the pre-selected loop and modifying it outside of the SI, then re-import it.

Any other questions? Anyone?

http://www.listenupstudio.com/
Motu BPM, Cakewalk, Roland MV8000 (8800)

Music is a moral law,
it gives wings to the mind,
a soul to the universe,
flight to the imagination,
a charm to sadness,
a life to everything
Twitch
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 372
RE: Introducing Studio Instruments! 2007/12/29 22:13:58 (permalink)
Oh hey let me add one more thing.. the only downfall of SI is the drums..

the Bass is nice. paino is warm sounding, the strings freaking rock (it's worth the money alone)

But like I say the drums is kinda on the sad side.. Main reason, you can only change the tuning of the drum so the drum kit still sounds the same. I wish I could import different drum samples. no matter how much I change the tuning of the drums you get bored very quickly with the drum sound.. Oh well it's still worth the money

http://www.listenupstudio.com/
Motu BPM, Cakewalk, Roland MV8000 (8800)

Music is a moral law,
it gives wings to the mind,
a soul to the universe,
flight to the imagination,
a charm to sadness,
a life to everything
findo
RE: Introducing Studio Instruments! 2007/12/30 05:23:14 (permalink)
Thanks for your reply.

In regards to the loops, can you create your own patterns/loops in SI? I've been using Hydrogen to create drum tracks, if you happen to know how that works as a reference to what I'm trying to do...
thanks

whitefalcon
RE: Introducing Studio Instruments! 2007/12/30 15:07:08 (permalink)
Oh hey let me add one more thing.. the only downfall of SI is the drums..

the Bass is nice. paino is warm sounding, the strings freaking rock (it's worth the money alone)

But like I say the drums is kinda on the sad side.. Main reason, you can only change the tuning of the drum so the drum kit still sounds the same. I wish I could import different drum samples. no matter how much I change the tuning of the drums you get bored very quickly with the drum sound.. Oh well it's still worth the money

yes the strings make the deal.
I like them to.
the pianos are ok,
the base is fun.

the drums as you say are just thrown in.
you can run drum patterns using the drum patterns in p5 so perhaps that will give you more use if you do that
joden
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1263
RE: Introducing Studio Instruments! 2008/01/05 14:52:46 (permalink)
QUOTE from CHEEZEV
"Hey guys
Will there be a guitar studio instrument comming out any time soon?
you've really out done yourself with the quality and the sound
Thanks and keep up the great work
I've been a fan ever since cakewalk 1 through Pro Audio and now Sonar " end quote

+1
Whats the answer Cakewalk, are you going to release a guitar version, or is it too hard to do?
post edited by joden - 2008/01/05 15:08:23
whitefalcon
RE: Introducing Studio Instruments! 2008/01/06 02:05:34 (permalink)
QUOTE from CHEEZEV
"Hey guys
Will there be a guitar studio instrument comming out any time soon?
you've really out done yourself with the quality and the sound
Thanks and keep up the great work
I've been a fan ever since cakewalk 1 through Pro Audio and now Sonar " end quote

+1
Whats the answer Cakewalk, are you going to release a guitar version, or is it too hard to do?

< Message edited by joden -- 1/5/2008 3:08:23 PM >

I think they will in two versions, electric guitar and classic guitar
quanah
RE: Introducing Studio Instruments! 2008/01/09 11:37:49 (permalink)
Unfortunately, I cant get SI to record in Sonar7. Not sure why, Ive read the posts, everything connected to SI, but to no avail.

Stacy M Doty
Dell XPS 400
3.00 GhZ
2 G Ram
800FSB
Presonus Firepod
Sonar 7
revkev
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Introducing Studio Instruments! 2008/01/10 15:49:18 (permalink)
NEVERMIND. I found the problem.

I purchased Instruments from a local store and loaded the program from CD. I use Steinberg CuBase I can load any of the four instruments as VSTi's but only the strings make any sound. Whether I play them through a midi track or try manually playing the instrument, only the strings create sound. With the electric piano I can see when I play it from the midi track that the keyboard display on the instrument shows it is receiving the midi data, but no sound.
I've verified that:
1. Instruments are loaded and on
2. Installation from the Cakewalk CD seemed fine and all the application's .sfz and sample wav files appear in the right folders in Windows Explorer.

Documentation provided doesn't give me any hint what the problem might be.

Anyone have similar issues? I have this feeling that it's probably some simple step I'm missing but I haven't a clue what it is.

Thanks in advance for any help.

post edited by revkev - 2008/01/12 23:48:55
radio
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2782
RE: Introducing Studio Instruments! 2008/01/16 21:03:14 (permalink)
I just bought Studio Instruments on CD ,it installed without any problems and works as (STAND ALONE ) without MC4.
My problem is It doesn't work at all in Music Creator 4 , its showing up there but nothing is working, no sound nothing, I need help !

I'm not sure whats going on , Music Creator 4 is also new for me on my VISTA computer and this is the first time I have used a Pluggin like STUDIO INSTRUMENTS.

I'm going to open up a new post for me later on tonight , I wish I could make it work in Music Creator 4 .
Crush40rox
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: Introducing Studio Instruments! 2008/03/02 01:40:20 (permalink)
I bought Studio Instruments myself. It's ok if you wanna use the presets for drums and then work out a guitar riff from there but if you make up a guitar riff without using the presets nothing is going to fit it that comes with SI more than likely this is a big problem I am having right now. You're better off trying to find a real drummer or getting Session drummer 2.
radio
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2782
RE: Introducing Studio Instruments! 2008/03/02 04:23:38 (permalink)
Thanks for the contact , I now have everything working . Studio Instruments is ok for basic stuff like your talking about but when it comes to inserting FILLS forget it , I'm back to using my Drum Machine.
My Drum machine uses real drummers for its reset patterns and fills and is I want to add by creating my own pattern & fills I can do that as well.
For me I wasted my money on Studio Instruments , I really needed better Fills and Studio Instruments is mostly Intro fills or Ending Fills with nothing between A & B verse & chorus Patterns so for me it was a waste of money.
Not saying its a waste of money , you get what you pay for which is BASIC.
alvin18
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: Introducing Studio Instruments! 2008/03/10 15:19:09 (permalink)
With piano there is no note cutoff when drawing a note to piano roll in Cubase 4:( Playing with midi keyboard it is ok...but playing back in Cubase 4 notes are not cut off. Any suggestions?

http://www.martellorotativo.com
owenowen
  • Total Posts : 4
SI drag drop MC 2008/03/30 09:42:46 (permalink)
When I drag and drop a drum beat from SI to MC it sounds like a piano! what is happening?
RobertB
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11256
RE: SI drag drop MC 2008/03/30 15:01:50 (permalink)
Owen,
Check the Output of the MIDI track you are dragging the pattern to. It must be set to Studio Instruments Drums.
It looks like you are sending the output to a different synth.
If you use Insert>Softsynth to insert SI into your project, select MIDI Source Track from the dropdown. This will give you a new MIDI track that is already pointed to SI.
hth.

My Soundclick Page
SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
JD1813
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 813
RE: Studio Instruments! 2008/04/16 10:45:24 (permalink)
Hi and thanks for the info Matthew! I have bought and used Studio Instruments now for about 2 weeks and I really love it for much the same reasons listed here - some of us lean more on the old-school creative side of the music and the ever-growing arrays of knobs and controls, plug-ins and FX are bewiltering and anti-creative (ok I'm only speaking from my own experience, and I'm 50 yrs old). The GUI alone is a welcome change in an audio software product. (OK I confess, I loop a drum pattern and just WATCH the trap set move..... for an hour......)!

I'm sure it's true that this product is aimed at those of us relatively new to DAW and the heavy use of software tools to create digital quality music. But I don't think that has to short-change those of us who don't have the engineering flair that others do - the percussions and other sounds offered in SI lay down a very nice quality of sound foundation and after all it's all 16-bit digital, CD quality and in my way of thinking, it's not what you start with it's what you do with it throughout the project to the finished product, that counts.

I really love the Instruments, and have begun to immediately use them in my Sonar 4 creations. I do wish there was some more detailed documentation for the SI though, I would especially like to know where do we go to learn how to "bring in" other instruments sounds so they can be selected from the drop-down patch listings..... isn't that possible? I also would like to see a future enhancement of say, 6 or 8 pads to contain the drum patterns, rather than 4; this would allow easy utilization of many more preset rythmns and changes throughout a song, than just 4.

I'd especially like to know if SI allows us to build a custom set of our own - say in the drums - we obviously have the ability to "play" an individual drum or cymbal, but how to put 4,5 sounds together into one "groove" or "clip" for easy use? The only record option I see is to audio, and that would result in a messy 4-5 audio files to deal with.... am I missing something basic in the process?

I totally agree with many of you other users: it's a fun product, it's only $50, and it gives us a tool that's so easy to use even I have been able to get started with it!
Cheers, all.
- John

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1